40-Somethings - JUNE Chat

View Full Version : JUNE Chat

junem
06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Ok, its my month. It is already the 4th of the month. I am starting a Chat thread.

Doesn't this make more sense than the very-cluttered challenge thread?

junem
06-04-2013, 02:01 PM
need fashion help. My nephew is getting married on Saturday. Small church wedding followed by sit-down dinner at the Elks club. So dressy but not uber-formal. I don't have many dressier summer things. The forecast is for 77 and rainy. About the only thing I could put together in my closet is pictured in my uploaded profile pic. YUCK!! I seem to be too pale, and I have the "farmer" tan thing with my arms. And I barely seem to have a waist anymore. HELP. I have time to go shopping but little cash. So Kohls it is I guess. Cheap solutions, accessory ideas, any thoughts will be helpful.

Moondance
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
The skirt if nice. Try to find a top with bright colors for the season. omething light and airy, maybe sheer long sleeves (to hide the tanlines, but not too hot).
Something tucked in a bit just under the bust draws the eyes up. Or go for something with a built-in waist..it really is slenderizing. Mostly, enjoy! Weddings are so much fun!

newleaf123
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
June I agree the challenge thread is too cluttered... but on the other hand it gets impossible for me to keep up with 2 threads! I think your skirt can work, but you need a top that has a big, fun floral print or something. Or, a dress in a big, fun floral print. Can you tell I like big, fun floral? Have fun at the wedding!

guacamole
06-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Hello! I am trying to keep up with the larger challenge threads, but kind of gave up.

I agree that brighter colors for summer events always look great. I also think a little color looks more youthful than going with all neutrals.

I have really been favoring uber long maxi dresses in colorful prints, myself.

junem
06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Resolution to my clothing dilemma. Cute black sun dress with white polka dots from Marshalls, and a salmon color shrug to brighten it up. I was concerned that polka dots were not age appropriate for some one nearing 50. But DH insists they are fine, and the outfit looks good. I don't know exactly how to add a picture to my post, or I would show you all.

newleaf123
06-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Sounds really cute, June, I bet you look great; go with your husband's judgment!

2FatCats
06-05-2013, 09:18 AM
JuneM: Glad you figured out what to wear- now you can just enjoy the wedding!

2FatCats
06-05-2013, 09:19 AM
@Heidi: It's been AGES since you changed your avatar...what's new for today's viewing audience?;)

kelijpa
06-05-2013, 06:08 PM
June- thanks for starting June thread I had good intentions, but goo for you actually doing it!

Sound like you got something nice, I've really been looking at what other people are wearing for ideas, I like the idea of wearing more dresses in the summer.

:sunny:

newleaf123
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
@Heidi: It's been AGES since you changed your avatar...what's new for today's viewing audience?;)

LOL I did try to take a full body photo in the mirror today but didn't like how it came out...

Moondance
06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
June, sounds like you came up with something cute and comfortable!

2FatCats
06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Thought for today:

“It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward.” ~Old Chinese Proverb

kelijpa
06-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I like your thought for the day 2FC!

rainy, dreary today, got in walk at work 10K steps today, so I'm calling it good.

Pizza party for one of our military retiring, hopefully they'll have a veggie tray like last time...

weigh in tomorrow!
best to all :sunny:

2FatCats
06-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Thought for today:

“It’s not who you think you are that holds you back; it’s who you think you’re not.” ~Unknown

And a little bonus :
“None of us can change our yesterdays but all of us can change our tomorrows.” ~Colin Powell

MrsTryingAgain
06-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Go through "Photo Bucket", you can upload a picture there. Get the "direct link" then click on the little insert image icon on the message posting & you are done! I still have an issue with the SIZE of my photos, but I'm trying! When you are trying to upload a photo, do a preview...it'll help you see if you did it correctly. GOOD LUCK!!! Hope to see pics soon!

kelijpa
06-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Good thoughts, I love quotes!

MrsTA~I send photos to myself in email before posting to fb, it automatically will resize, I'm sure there's many other ways to do it, but that's the easiest for me, especially for multiple pics.

MrsTryingAgain
06-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Cool idea kelijpa! I'll have to try that! Cause sometimes I get a little frustrated with Photobucket...or at least how my computer connects to it. I did have a decent post almost ready to post last night...then we had a brown out! :( Just enough to have my machine shut down to protect it's circuits & stuff. Oh, well...so where was I? Hmmmmmmm...
Been busy with work & H's appts. If I'm not at work, I'm taking H to the dr. & if not at one of those...probably trying to get some sleep. That's okay though, H seems to be doing soooo much better. He still has to go in for his cumidin checks about 2x a week. But we are hoping that is almost at an end. Got his stitches out Tues. He is finally walking pretty much normal again. I go with him though because some of his meds make him a little light-headed at times. :dizzy:
We are trying very, very hard to get back on schedule walking & healthy eating wise. We want to get him off as many meds (safely) as we can by Halloween...his 53rd bd. It would be a gift we both would LOVE!!!
Well, I'm going to try & catch up with everyone. Hope everyone is doing well. It's been really hot here in N. CA. Hitting the triple digits, UGH! I think H & I need to move to a cooler climate cause the older we get the less we like the heat & we get a little (a lot?) cranky. Nothing worse than a crany old person, huh? ;)
Anywhos, I took these where H goes for his cumidin check. Enjoy! Stay cool! Stay healthy! :dust::dust::dust:
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/GreatBlue_zpsb5966e6b.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/FULLspeed_zps0c44c654.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Goslingsinthepon_zpsb7678f5d.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Cuddlewithme_zps2d23495a.jpg

kelijpa
06-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Nice pics MrsTA, glad to hear DH is doing better, you guys have gone through some trying times, that's for sure. Just have to ask, how YOU are doing? We've been having the opposite, some days not getting much past 60 and rainy, we talk about moving to a warmer climate when we get older...lol :D thanks for the dust!!

I love the heron photo, it's stunning!

MrsTryingAgain
06-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Doing pretty well. I'm walking nearly every day, taking H with me. Eating has slowly improved. I think it's because more fruits & veggies are in season! :) It's slow going, but I AIN'T giving up!
I took H fishing last week & got some pretty cool pictures. Enjoy!
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Fishing01_zps77b94845.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Osprey01_zps00108a4c.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Osprey01A_zps5f504d45.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Osprey03_zpsa86d271a.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Osprey04_zpsaf80bffd.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Osprey05_zpscb70f155.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Osprey06_zpsc223221d.jpg
The photo of the Osprey in the trees is because some BONEHEAD decided to park his car & run his dog RIGHT UNDER the nest! I wanted to hurt him...badly! Totally stressed out the parents & babies. They kept calling to each other til he left. Why park there??? There's a nest & no shade. DUH!!!

Hope everyone is well. Be healthy! Be strong!

junem
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi all.
Nice bird pics Mrs TA. I am glad to hear DH's health is improving.
I haven't run since May. Decided its time to go back to "Couch to 5K" progression. I jumped in at week 3 (of 9) and felt pretty good. We will see if I keep to it.

kelijpa
06-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Beautiful pics MrsTA thanks for sharing!

June, a guy we used to bowl with always quoted this line from a movie "never give up, never surrender"

Feels like fall tonight!

Magicsusan
06-19-2013, 07:01 AM
:coffee2:
Hi everybody. Sorry for the long absence. Sometimes things just get a bit crazy, and you don't realise how much time is going by... We finally have our warm weather again (after the darkest coldest May in about 40 years) and I'm loving the humidity. Crazy how most people seem to hate it, but I just thrive on it.

Anyhoo, hope to turn up for my long overdue weigh-in next tuesday. I'm interested to see what's been going on with my body, since I've kind of been ignoring for the last several weeks.

Mrs TA, I'm loving your bird pictures. We live right next to a river and herons nest there every spring. This year we seem to have a hawk or something. (Not so good with my birds of prey (not Klingons!) but it makes that typical cry as it circles overhead.) Glad Mr TA is better!

Missed you guy! Sorry to drop off the face of the earth like that! :o

kelijpa
06-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Welcome back. Magicsusan!

TOM paying a visit so not feeling 100% today but got a walk in at work today. It was a health function, then we had not so healthy but awfully good chicken BBQ for lunch, walked again after so hopefully not too much damage!

Best to all :sunny:

junem
06-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Confession: Hula hooping is my secret ab workout. I think my one neighbor thinks I am a little nutty. I was wondering if there are any other secret or not-so-secret hoopers out there. I would love to learn some of the moves in the Hoopnotica videos but I haven't yet. I am not the worlds most coordinated person, alas.

Magicsusan
06-22-2013, 08:58 AM
whoa, junem; I'm impressed. I have never been able to hoop, not even as a kid!
Kelijpa, sorry TOM is making a pest of itsself; I don't have any due to an IUD, but my hormones still mercilessly kick my butt whenever they feel like it. Feeling ugly and horny at the same time is a bad combo...

kelijpa
06-22-2013, 09:41 PM
lol MagicSusan, I'm sure that's not the best combo! :D

June, I recently read an article by Kelly Osborne talking about hooping being something she tried recently for abs, we were just at a festival and the hoopers do have great abs, I will admit to thinking about it...KO said that you more move forward and backward than swiveling your hips like you would think, is that what you're finding? I can't seem to get it swirling around so am hesitant to try. They were selling water hoops, she talked about that too, I guess it adds weight so gives you a harder workout.

I can hula hoop on the wii pretty good...lol :rofl:

Magicsusan
06-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Oh, I can hoop on the wii. Just not in real life!

newleaf123
06-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Love the photos!! We see lots of nesting osprey in Sanibel, FL every year. I live seeing them grab a fish and fly off! Nice to see your husband out fishing

junem
06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
I didn't know Kelly Osborne was a hooping proponent. I did see a fun video with Michelle Obama hula hooping.
I haven't seen water hoops, but I will say having a weighted hoop of the right size for an adult makes it a whole lot easier. I use a hoop that is 42 inches and 2 pounds. Yes, its more of a forward and back motion. It took 3 or 4 days to really get the hang of it. Again I'm not super coordinated. I find the easiest way to start is to but one foot forward slightly and propel it with that hip. Everybody has a natural direction, so try it both ways. I favor clockwise. And I like to try to go 10 minutes in both directions.

Magicsusan
06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
I was thinking of trying the hardware store. I've never seen hoops except for little kids here. I'm not even sure the hardware store will help- it's not such a diy country...

kelijpa
06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
We've been going to some music festivals this year, there's always someone selling hula hoops! This last one they did a really cool show along with one of the bands with flaming and lighted hoops (after dark...:D ) Let me tell you those ladies and one guy had no flab on the bellies!

We're going to another one this weekend, I never paid attention to where else you might get one, do they ship them...

Had a good OP two days this week, not sure why it was suddenly easy to stay on plan but not complaining for sure!!

Sheila22
06-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Hello Everyone! I haven't checked in for awhile - and it's been showing up on the scales! :(

But I've been back on track this week - in fact, yesterday I ran 10K on the treadmill in the morning and then did a 5K night glow race! (uh, probably not wise, but oh well)

I'm at 155.75 pounds - (yes, I'm taking credit for that 1/4 pound ;) )

And I've lost 2.5 pounds this week! :D My new strategy - only fresh fruit before noon (I can't believe how much fruit I'm eating, but I love it!), a salad with some form of protein (either fish or veggie taco meat) for lunch, and dinner - also veggies and protein - when I'm at goal I will allow myself a serving of whole grains at dinner. And I can still enjoy my wine (in moderation).

I think my problem before is that I was so restrictive that it wasn't a lifestyle diet it was just a diet - so then when I went off I went OFF. I can live with this lifestyle - in fact, I feel really good! :D

Well - just wanted to come and check in! Hope everyone has a great day!

Sheila

2FatCats
06-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Sheila:

Glad you're back! We have kind of moved our 'chat' over to the Friendship Day challenge. Not sure how or why but it just worked out that way!

onmiwei
07-03-2013, 03:30 AM
Been away for a while but I am still working on losing weight. Not sure if anyone remembers me..my dad died, I lost my job two weeks later..4 months later we were hit by a drunk driver...anyway..I had started a journey of losing weight just a week or so before my dad died...then when I lost my job I decided to go into nursing with starting out as a CNA. But I thought the drunk driver ruined my chances..I have been working two 12 hour shifts a week.. still in pain from the wreck and it would take a ll week to recover from my two shifts. But the weight started coming off slowly with how physical the job is. I am being sent to pain management and have lost 20 lbs so far just from working at work. Last week I did start walking on our local walking trail and started water aerobics again. Some exercises aren't the best and I may have done too much last week so I am slowing down again until I can get into the Pain Management doc next week. My clothes are fitting a little looser and I can see my tummy has shrunk. Since I have so much to lose 20 isn't that much but I am happy with everything that has happened that I am still losing and not gaining.

I have turned out having slipping rib syndrome from the seatbelt...the doc doesn't really want me working at a CNA...I am waiting right now to see if I get into LPN school..if not I am going to do some college courses on medical office because I do know I can't do CNA work for too long due to the pain.

I hope all is well with everyone else..I know it sounds like I have a sad story but I am much happier this year than I was this time last year before my world fell apart. Everything is happening for a reason and I have found out i am much stronger than I thought...for some reason I think that is helping me with my weight loss even though it is slow going. This past 11 months has taught me so much about myself...I believe all of this has not only motivated me in my weight loss journey but some how showed me I was worth it...

junem
07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
onmiwei. Let me be the first to say Welcome Back! Your story resonates with me because my Mom died and I 'finished' a job I had hoped to continue, all in the same month two years ago. I have continued on my weight control journey since then, but my career path and emotional state took a real blow, from which they have not fully recovered.

CNA's and LPN's do such important work. and they are underappreciated in our society. I realized this when my mom was in need of care. Wishing you much success with that path.

kelijpa
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Onmiwei- I remember you, glad to hear you are working towards your goals, sounds like you have the right mindset to do things in a healthy way that will allow you to continue healing.

Wishing you the best :sunny:

Magicsusan
07-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Onmiwei, I'm sorry you've had such a tough time and I admire you for dealing with it so well. Are you thinking of medical secretary? Is that what medical office means? That might be a good choice. Good luck whatever you choose, and we'll be here for you on the rough days.

LoriDawn
07-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, hoping I can join in. My name is Lori, I'm 47 yrs. old, separated, not yet divorced, and mom to 4, plus 2grandkids. Hoping to lose 30 pounds or so! :):)

2FatCats
07-06-2013, 04:24 PM
LoriDawn-

Welcome,

Come over to the friendship challenge thread. That's where we tend to hang out!http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/283637-40-something-friendship-day-challenge-19.html