Weight Watchers - Points Plus not working - 3 months - did it destroy my metabolism?

gebbeth
06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
So I tried my first "commercial" diet ever, Points Plus. I stuck to it exactly. I started at 165, lost 2 pounds the 1st week, and I haven't lost A SINGLE OUNCE SINCE in the last 2.5 months! Goal weight is 120.

I am 40 and don't have time at all to excercise. A few minutes here and there every few days, but nothing consistent.

So, I'm actually a bit freaked out by this - I thought I might be still eating too many calories on this, so I did a quick bit of average math based on packaged foods to figure out how many calories I was eating. 1 Fiber 1 90 calorie bar = 3 points. I get 26, so if that is average, the points are.... 780 calories a day?!!!

If I understand correctly, most dieticians donít recommend going under 1200 calories a day, never less than 1000, or your metabolism can slow. Am I correct about that? Please correct me if I am wrong. I was eating some fruits and vegetables, but DEFINITELY not at least 400 calories a day!!! My current theory is I wasnít eating enough fruits and veggies to get a minimum level, so perhaps I stalled out because I l slowed my metabolism . I also feel like Iíve been starving the whole time, no matter how many veggies I ate (tried this the 1st week then gave up because it is too $$$ and doesnít help).

So what do I do now? I canít rev up my metabolism again through exercise because there is NO time to do this on a consistent basis, period. I donít even have enough time to sleep during the week.

What do I do to get my calorie intake back to a normal/acceptable level, and for how long? I think I will need to do this before attempting any weight loss, because this sure isnít working, and Iím miserable.

The only thing that only worked for me ever was South Beach Ė but again, time is a restriction so canít go there.

Ideas to help fix my metabolism without packing on the pounds? Thanks in advance.

It is sooo frustrating to do everything by the book and stall out after the 1st week... gah....:?:

elvislover324
06-04-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm sure someone else will come along with more info but I can assure you that you couldn't have killed your metabolism in 1 week. :) There are so many reasons that you may not have lost in the 2nd week (water retention from TOM, maybe something high in sodium, not drinking enough water, hormones, lots of things).

2 weeks is hardly enough time to measure progress. I'd hang in there for a month and then see how you are doing. At that point if things aren't better, then it would be time to tweak. Good luck!

TerrapinMode
06-04-2013, 01:45 PM
PointsPlus average between 30-40 calories each, depending on what you're consuming. But that does not include the calories you should be getting from your 0 PP foods (fruits and veggies). The days I calculate my calorie intake, I'm usually consuming between 1200 and 1600 calories and I get 26 points a day. My question to you would be how many carbs are you eating vs protein? Are your PP coming from prepackaged food or whole foods? It really could come down to what you're eating. It also may be that you are not eating enough. I've been on WW for about a month and have lost 6.4 pounds. It works best for me when I eat more fruits, vegetables and lean protein and limit my processed carbs.

TripSwitch
06-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Were you attending WW meetings or were you doing WW online? Depending on what I was eating my points averaged out to between 35 to 50 calories per point... I also had 26 points per day... So that would be a range of between 910 to 1,300 calories a day WITHOUT ANY zero points fruits and veggies... So with a couple of pieces of fruit, salads, and vegetables with my meals I would easily eat between 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day... Also I would often dip in to my 39 WP's as well... if I needed to because I was still hungry or I wanted some sort of "treat"...

And you can only slow your metabolism just so much... Weight loss is an equation of energy balance... If you were in fact eating only 780 calories a day, barring some unknown medical problem... You would be in an energy deficit and would be losing weight even with slowing metabolism...

Here's the good news... Even though you didn't lose... You didn't gain either, correct? So that means if you can accurately figure out how many calories you have been eating than that has been how many calories you need to maintain your weight... So you'll need to cut calories from that number to actually start losing...

gebbeth
06-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi,

It's actually been 3 months, which is why I'm worried about my metabolism being slowed :(. I generally don't eat MANY carbs/refined carbs/ much sugar, due to hypoglycemia (and sugar makes me hungry, anyway) but I do eat some

Here is an example of what I ate before:
Coffee with creamer, 2 splendas
apple

2 cups of cooked sole, green beans almodine (1 serving)

simply snackin jerky-1 serving (ie beef with beries, etc.), maybe an apple or orange

my "simple ham sandwich" (2 slices of sara lee reduced calorie wheat bread, 4 slices land o frost ham, 1 slice sargento's lowfat cheese, mustard), 1-2 cups asparagus

Not sure what I was doing wrong here if I was getting enough calories? I really think not eating enough fruits/veggies for months is probably what the problem is.... what do you think?

I usually have 2 cups of coffee a day with cream, so that does take up points. Unfortunately coffee is a must for me, and so is the cream/creamer. Cream and creamer is measured to point accuracy.

gebbeth
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
oooh, I hope not... I don't think I could live off of less than 800 calories a day! :( But you're right, even though I didn't lose, I didn't gain either - and 1 month of the 3 was during trial prep which IS a huge bonus (that is how I got overweight to begin with, i am a stress eater and my work has a lot of deadline-induced stress). No, I don't do the meetings, just online. I wish I could but again... time is a limitation. Glad to read the points fluctuate some... I tried the "simple math" because I was thought that maybe I was still eating too many calories and got scared at what came up. :(. I assumed it was correct because when I stalled out 9 years ago on South Beach it was because my calorie count was too low.. but then I had the luxury of having the time to excercise while bringing up the calories, which I don't now, unfortunately.

SO if this is true, what would you recommend for someone like me with an apparently slow metabolism? Rev up my calories a bit, or switch over to strict calorie counting or something similar? Maybe WW is just too "lax for me"? I'm still at a loss, but this makes me feel a lot better knowing the calorie count probably wasn't as low as a feared...

Were you attending WW meetings or were you doing WW online? Depending on what I was eating my points averaged out to between 35 to 50 calories per point... I also had 26 points per day... So that would be a range of between 910 to 1,300 calories a day WITHOUT ANY zero points fruits and veggies... So with a couple of pieces of fruit, salads, and vegetables with my meals I would easily eat between 1,200 to 1,400 calories a day... Also I would often dip in to my 39 WP's as well... if I needed to because I was still hungry or I wanted some sort of "treat"...

And you can only slow your metabolism just so much... Weight loss is an equation of energy balance... If you were in fact eating only 780 calories a day, barring some unknown medical problem... You would be in an energy deficit and would be losing weight even with slowing metabolism...

Here's the good news... Even though you didn't lose... You didn't gain either, correct? So that means if you can accurately figure out how many calories you have been eating than that has been how many calories you need to maintain your weight... So you'll need to cut calories from that number to actually start losing...

fitbyforty
06-04-2013, 03:48 PM
You need to get your dairy in as well as your healthy oils. That doesn't look like it equals 26 points.It is important to get in all your good health guidelines.

movielover
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
What about the 49 weeklies? Maybe use those for your creamer.

Maggymae
06-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Are you exercising along with the diet?

Buffinlovin
06-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Your menu looks very light...are you using all 26 of your daily pts? Here's a sampling of mine (I get 32 pts):

Breakfast
1 egg wrap 8pts
-1 scrambled egg 2pts (cooked in nonstick skillet, so no oil)
-pinch of fat free cheddar 1pt (it's 1pt for 1/4 cup, but I don't need all that)
-3 strips of precooked bacon 2pts
-1 whole wheat wrap 3 pts
1 Coffee w/ 2 tablespoons french vanilla creamer 2pts

Lunch
5oz grilled seasoned chicken 5pts
1 cup steamed broccoli, drizzled in olive oil and garlic 2pts (for the oil)

Dinner
1 Hamburger 8pts
-4oz lean ground beef patty 4pts
-1 slice of whole wheat bread, sliced in half 2pts
-pinch of fat free cheddar 1pt
-1 strip of precooked bacon 1pt
1/2 cup steamfresh lightly sauced corn 2pts

This puts me at 27 pts for the day, which leaves me with 5 pts of fun. For snacks I will usually eat veggies or fruits, and at the end of the day I may splurge and have a fiber one brownie for dessert (the 90 cal ones are only 2 pts), or one of the weight watchers ice cream bars (2-3pts).

Also, any exercise is better than no exercise. I know it's not always easy, but try and think of it like your time...When I'm on the elliptical, or taking my dogs for a walk, I like to let my mind wander. I don't like to be interrupted, I don't like to talk to anyone. I turn my cell phone ringer off, and I jsut enjoy the time to myself. I found it easier to accept this way, and not make as many excuses not to do it.

Don't forget about your 49 weekly points, either! If coffee with creamer is a must, maybe budget some of your weekly points to cover that, instead of your dailies. This will give you more wiggle room with your eating, and you will probably still have a decent amount of weeklies left for special occasions.

kaplods
06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
You can't destroy metabolism, but you may have beaten it down a bit.

Sleep and exercise and eating a high-nutrient diet are essential to maintaining metabolism, and health in general. Make time for both, because they may be the most important modulators of health.

Sleep may even be the most important. If you deprive lab animals of sleep, especially restorative stages of sleep, they sicken and die of immune dysfunction.

I suspect that my autoimmune and other immunity issues were a direct result of burning the candle at both ends for years.

Exercise is vital to quality sleep, so lack of exercise contributes to poor sleep quality.

More than metabolism is at stake.

gebbeth
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks all for the nutrition and other suggestions.

Yes, that is 26 points. The "Sole" by itself is 12 points, and I drink 4-6 points a day in cream or creamer.

I could use my some (like half) of flexpoints for the creamer... that's an idea. If i used them all, that would take up almost all of the flex points 28-42!!!!

Good to know it might be slowed but not destroyed. I didn't think of sleep contributing.

I feel like I have to say something here, as I tend to have a lot of people saying I have to "make" time for it" or "it must not be important to me" (aka when I asked my dr. for diet advice, they push exercise, my friends who don't work in the same field I do, etc). I don't have time due to my work and commute, and I need to work to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. I have a minimum 2-2.5 hour commute EACH WAY to work every day, with a job that OFTEN requires LOTS of overtime (and is so busy there are often large chunks of time I barely have time to use the restroom, let alone take an actual break). Before the economy crashed, where employment and housing options had some flexibility, I spent a LOT of time taking care of myself and going to the gym. The economic climate prevents me from having time to take any care of myself, except very rarely and sporadically, I hope that this changes someday soon.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

lazylioness
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I have not had any issue with WW since I have started it almost 4 months ago...

BUT, I do know that if I consume too few points, or too many points my weight loss does weird things. I also know that if I do not make good fruit and veggie choices, even if I am within my daily points, my scale shows it.

Like other people have said, try adding more fruit (I am not a fruit fan myself) or veggies (YAY VEGGIES). You will probably not be hungry as much.

Also, I am a coffee drinker as well. So I feel your pain with the points! I used to use Splenda, but switched to Stevia, and I had to cut WAY back on the creamer. Cutting back on the creamer is hard, but I never knew how much I was actually using until I started measuring! You can do it!

I am a busy professional mom and wife as well. I work insane hours and have a 1.5 hour commute each way! So I get the busy thing, but trust me, even if you can only find 20 minutes a day to take a walk, it will help.

Stick to it, and it will happen. But, also remember, not every plan works for everyone. If WW is not your "thing" try something else. Just always remember that you need to have a caloric deficit to lose weight, regardless of whatever plan you are on. Working out in any form helps with muscle, hormones, and skin tone, besides the added bonus of burning calories :)

Hope this helps, I am by no means an expert, I just can speak to what works for me

Dixiemom
06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Water! Water! Water! Helps your metabolism big time. First thing in the morning drink one or two glasses of cold water to get your metabolism started. Then before bed drink another glass to flush over night. Then drink water throughout the day.

gebbeth
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks. It's comforting to know others are in the same boat and understand (but not happy you share the lack of time).

It's also good to know that going over/under does odd things for you - well, not that it does for you, but maybe that could be a contributor, as well as the fruits/veggie choices. I have gone under a few days due to work craziness. Maybe tweaking would help? Do you find certain fruits/vegetables are good vs. bad choices for you? Would you mind sharing for me what choices you find good/bad?

Do you also find that certain veggies fill you up more than others? I think I haven't found what works for me re: that. I did find I can't eat carrots or they make me hungrier...

I know, right, re: creamer? I was shocked how many points i use on it. I so, so wish I could get used to drinking coffee black... or that "lower calorie" versions existed...

Funny, I started WW because I didn't want the pain of calorie counting, but if some of these suggestions don't work, I'll have to start to make sure I'm getting a good range between "minimum" and "maximum" for my body, lol.

Thanks!

I have not had any issue with WW since I have started it almost 4 months ago...

BUT, I do know that if I consume too few points, or too many points my weight loss does weird things. I also know that if I do not make good fruit and veggie choices, even if I am within my daily points, my scale shows it.

Like other people have said, try adding more fruit (I am not a fruit fan myself) or veggies (YAY VEGGIES). You will probably not be hungry as much.

Also, I am a coffee drinker as well. So I feel your pain with the points! I used to use Splenda, but switched to Stevia, and I had to cut WAY back on the creamer. Cutting back on the creamer is hard, but I never knew how much I was actually using until I started measuring! You can do it!

I am a busy professional mom and wife as well. I work insane hours and have a 1.5 hour commute each way! So I get the busy thing, but trust me, even if you can only find 20 minutes a day to take a walk, it will help.

Stick to it, and it will happen. But, also remember, not every plan works for everyone. If WW is not your "thing" try something else. Just always remember that you need to have a caloric deficit to lose weight, regardless of whatever plan you are on. Working out in any form helps with muscle, hormones, and skin tone, besides the added bonus of burning calories :)

Hope this helps, I am by no means an expert, I just can speak to what works for me

BreathingSpace
06-05-2013, 04:10 PM
The veggies that fill me up the best are raw kale (massaged with oil) and raw broccoli. For some reason I can have a salad with those 2 ingredients, some nuts and other various veggies and be full for nearly 3 hours.

I, too, have issues with carbs and hypoglycemia so I'm kinda obsessed with what will keep me full for the longest time and what makes me hungry right away. I totally understand your carrot thing, I get the same thing! Must be the sugar in the carrots.

I tend to try and stay away from carbs because of the low blood sugar thing, BUT, I find that whenever I try to put more protein in my diet and less carbs, I either gain weight or stay exactly the same without losing. It's such a tricky balance.

My tweaks are:
a little more carb than I think I should have
a lot more fat than I think I should have (i.e., coconut oil, avocados, nuts)
a lot less protein than I think I need

Seems to be working, albeit VERY slowly. I wish I was one of those people who could just eat nothing but greens and chicken breast and lose 10 lb within a few weeks but I'm not. I'm just not, and I have to accept that...

lazylioness
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks. It's comforting to know others are in the same boat and understand (but not happy you share the lack of time).

It's also good to know that going over/under does odd things for you - well, not that it does for you, but maybe that could be a contributor, as well as the fruits/veggie choices. I have gone under a few days due to work craziness. Maybe tweaking would help? Do you find certain fruits/vegetables are good vs. bad choices for you? Would you mind sharing for me what choices you find good/bad?

Do you also find that certain veggies fill you up more than others? I think I haven't found what works for me re: that. I did find I can't eat carrots or they make me hungrier...

I know, right, re: creamer? I was shocked how many points i use on it. I so, so wish I could get used to drinking coffee black... or that "lower calorie" versions existed...

Funny, I started WW because I didn't want the pain of calorie counting, but if some of these suggestions don't work, I'll have to start to make sure I'm getting a good range between "minimum" and "maximum" for my body, lol.

Thanks!

I totally get what you are saying.

I was on Metformin before I lost weight, and honestly probably should be still, but ugh pills. Anyway, so I have blood sugar issues, and I am also SEVERELY anemic. My body is hypersensitive to any sort of change. Carrots do not make me more hungry per say, but they do not fill me up, and I do not like them raw anyway, unless it is with ranch or Hummus!

I have a tree nut allergy so that makes it difficult sometimes, but this is what I have discovered works for me...not everyone..but me..My weekends are a bit different, but working 60ish hours a week, I need a set schedule! No thinking involved!

"Pre" Breakfast-On the way to the office and until I am tired of drinking it, since WW I have never finished a full cup

Coffee- 2 points total (large travel mug size HAHA) 3-4 Stevia packets (depending on the coffee I brew) 2TBS International Foods Sugar Free Creamer (Caramel Macchiatto has 1Pt per, but there is one that is 0 I will find it and let you know)

(1) Banana - (0) Points- around 7 when I get into the office

Breakfast - Around 8:30ish

(1) Smart Ones Breakfast Quesadilla - 5 pts

Mid Morning Snack 10:30ish

(1) Fiber One Chewy Granola Bar 4 pts (I can only eat the chocolate ones because of the nut thing)---Sometimes this is substituted for a Special K bar, or on occasion 1TB of peanut butter with 1oz of pretzels..but only occasionally

Lunch-12:30

Frozen meal, left-overs from the night before, sandwich (never more than 8 points) ---it all depends on the time I have in the morning and if I have gone shopping for the week yet.

Afternoon snack - 2:30 - 0-3 points depending on my choice
Apple, grapes, Celery with Hummus, Salad with oil and vinegar and sunflower seeds or soy nuts (one of those not all of them!)

Dinner 8pm - 10-12 points (I do not get home until 6-7pm, start dinner, go work out and then eat not great to eat this late, but hey...its the time I have)

Dinner is always a lean meat (chicken, lean pork chop, turkey, OCCASIONALLY beef) or Tofu
Veggie (of any sort, I love asparagus)
Salad
Something "carby" Brown Rice, Veggie Pasta etc

Dessert 0-4 points (depending on my choice)
Sugar Free Jello cup (0 points)
1/4c Cool Whip Free (1 point)

or

Skinny Cow/Weight Watchers Ice Cream (I must admit, I am an ice cream addict)

So that is at the most...38 points for me...Usually, it is less. Now granted, I have more points than you....and I gain about 12-18 a day with my workout depending on what i do.

Remember, even walking those 20 minutes gets you "extra" points....I do a few minutes of Yoga a day in my office, just to stretch and work the kinks out, and that is my creamer points LOL:dizzy: It took a minute for me to figure out, that since I LOVE to eat...if I want to keep eating, I need to keep moving. I have used weekly points exactly two times in my WW journey.

Hope this helps

tehshort1
06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
The biggest thing that helps me is water. I buy 1 liter bottles and refill it 2-3 times in a day. Good luck with your weight loss!

kaplods
06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Good to know it might be slowed but not destroyed. I didn't think of sleep contributing.

I feel like I have to say something here, as I tend to have a lot of people saying I have to "make" time for it" or "it must not be important to me" (aka when I asked my dr. for diet advice, they push exercise, my friends who don't work in the same field I do, etc). I don't have time due to my work and commute, and I need to work to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. I have a minimum 2-2.5 hour commute EACH WAY to work every day, with a job that OFTEN requires LOTS of overtime (and is so busy there are often large chunks of time I barely have time to use the restroom, let alone take an actual break). Before the economy crashed, where employment and housing options had some flexibility, I spent a LOT of time taking care of myself and going to the gym. The economic climate prevents me from having time to take any care of myself, except very rarely and sporadically, I hope that this changes someday soon.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Believe me, I know how impossible it seems to "make" time, and for roughly 20 years I lived at that pace. I worked multiple jobs to make ends meet, or because a job required it, or because it was necessary to get the job I wanted. Some weeks I worked 30 hours of overtime. Sleep was something I did when I had the time between jobs.

I had no idea that sleep deprivation could be lowering my metabolism, until I was diagnosed with multiple sleep disorders. I had rls and plmdd (I thrashed around so much that both myself AND hubby would wake up bruised. I also had severe sleep apnea and my brain waves showed that I spent virtually no time in the restorative stages of sleep.

My pulmonologist told me that good sleep was so key to metabolism, that I would probably lose a significant amount of weight without any conscious effort on my part.

To be honest, I laughed and thought he was crazy - I had never lost so much as a single pound without a good deal of effort, but sue enough at my next checkup, I had lost 20 lbs!

When I said "make time," I didn't mean in any way it would be easy, or that you should drop responsibilities or that you could pull time out of thin air, but your body can go without decent sleep and activity, before your health starts to collapse. And while the health problems are minor at first, and easy to ignore, until suddenly they're not and they start to snowball and gain momentum until your health suddenly crashes.

When my husband and I met in late 2001, I had some minor health problems, but I was still very functional. A year later, my health began collapsing and I had even less time for me, because all my "spare" time was spent seeing doctors. Less than a year after that, I was totally disabled.

I'm slowly digging myself out of the disability hole, but I would love to spare even one person from my path.

Sleep deprivation may be even worse for health than smoking, so when I say "make time," I don't say or mean it lightly. If you can't get all the sleep you need, get as much as you can and realize that every hour you shortchange yourself might shorten your life and quality of life for several.

Chronic sleep deprivation very well may have caused my fibromyalgia and autoimmune disease. A rheumatologist who specializes in fibro told our local support group that she had never seen a fibro patient get better while getting less than 6 hours per night or while working swing shifts (even if they were sleeping more than nine hours).

If your job is active, you may not need additional exercise, but if it's sedentary, it's damaging your body. If you have no time to incorporate movement into your existing schedule, doing "double duty" will prevent some of the health cascade I went through.

If I had fully realized and appreciated how vital sleep, diet (not just limiting calories and eating lots of fruits and vegetables) and activity were to my health, I would have used my personal and professional time differently. It wouldn't have been easy, but I would have acted as if my life depended on sleep, activity, and diet, because they do.

I do have the dubious luxury of free time (being on disability) and it's still hard to be diligent with self-care because as women, we're often encouraged to believe that everything is more important than our own personal needs.

Whatever time you ARE able to take for yourself will pay off in huge health dividends, not only for you but for your personal and professional responsibilities. Well-rested employees are more productive (trying to convince some employers is a different matter).

I know you may not be able to take care of yourself as well as you'd like to, but do what you can, and know what you're sacrificing when you can't. I wish I had thought of myself and my health assets worth protecting.

Koshka
06-07-2013, 03:58 AM
I am also 5'4" (but older than most here - I'm in my 50s). I get 26 points a day and that generally works out to 1100 to 1300 calories depending on what I eat. I know because I also track calories in MyFitnessPal.

I was always frustrated at being a slow loser. For 2 years I followed the program religiously, never going over my points. Sometimes eating weekly points, some times not eating them, usually eating about half of them. And, I lost between 1/4 and 1/2 pound a week on average. During the middle of this I was going to the gym or rowing at home.

But here's the deal. My life is sedentary. I drive to work and then mostly sit. I have a one story house. I don't do yard work and doing stuff around the house is pretty easy. When I got an Active Link I found that I wasn't meeting my baseline every day. Weight Watchers in assigning points is trying to create a roughly 1000 calorie deficit a day (to get to 2 pounds loss a week). People who are closer to goal weight will find it harder to do that as someone who weighs 165 doesn't burn as many calories doing things as, say, someone would who does the same things weighing 265. So, as you get close to goal it is hard to lose quickly. It is even harder if, like me, you have a sedentary lifestyle.

Weight watchers in creating that 1000 calorie deficit assumes that you will burn a certain amount of calories each day. That is your baseline that they assume. What I found out was that even with exercising for half an hour several days a week I wasn't meeting my baseline because I was sitting too much.

In my case, the Active Link diagnosed the problem but didn't solve it. So I bought a Fitbit. With the Fitbit I could see very clearly what the problem is. On an average day if I don't make an effort to not sit, I will walk about 3000 steps. When I walk 3000 steps I'm lucky if I lose 1/4 pound in a week and often I will lose nothing.

So, I have had to try to find ways to walk more often. For example I put a program (eyeleo) on my computer that gives me a periodic reminder to get up and take a break. I will get up and walk back forth to the other end of the house a couple of time. At work, I will get up every 20 minutes and walk to the rest room or go to the kitchen, just to get some steps in. Just doing these things throughout the day got my steps up to around 5000 to 6000.

The other thing I started doing for the first time ever is going outside and walking. When I do that I will hit 8000 to 10000 steps in a day and when I do that I average 1 1/4 pounds lose a week.

I know that you have time constraints. I am lucky in that I'm able to walk in the evening before it gets dark and I have a good neighborhood for walking in. If I didn't and didn't have time to go to a gym, I would probably buy me a treadmill. I realize that may not be an option for you right now. I have a long commute when I work but I work part-time so that makes it easier for me.

When I was still working full time with kids at home and long hours and a long commute, I sometimes couldn't priortize the weight loss.

If you can't exercise at all, at 165, I think you will most likely have to priortize eating healthy and maybe losing weight very very slowly. Even maintaining your weight at such a stressful time is a victory.

Also, I don't think that someone who is 5'4" can realistically have a goal of 120 without engaging in intense exercise. I know whereof I speak because I am a lifetime member and my original goal weight was 125. I made that goal weight when I was 37 and even got down to a low of 117. And, at that time, I was single and spent a lot of time exercising and obsessing about food. And you know what? I couldn't maintain it. I couldn't exercise the extreme control of food needed to stay at that lifetime goal given the amount of exercise I was willing to do (which was about an hour a day for 5 or 6 days of the week).

Someone who weighs 120 has a really low basal metabolic rate. On a sedentary day (weighing in my 180s now), I burn about 200 calories more than my BMR (my BMR is about 1500). On an active day where I get 10000 steps in I burn about 2000 calories total and if I eat 1250 calories a day then I should lose 1 1/2 pounds a week.

At 120 pounds a female age 40 has a BMR of 1289 calories at this calculator. So if you are sedentary you are probably going to gain weight if you eat more than 1500 calories a day. That is really, really hard to maintain long term if you aren't exercising so you can eat more food.

If you can't exercise right now (and I can understand it) then it might be more realistic to set a goal weight at the top of your range and then get there and focus on maintaining it for awhile before deciding on such an extremely low goal weight.

I have personally found it illuminating to track my calories eaten and compare them to what Fitbit says are the calories I've burned. I have found that there is a high correlation between that information and what I actually lose. I've been sick the last couple of weeks and have been more sedentary (extremely sedentary) and not going much over BMR several days. And, I haven't been losing either. But I'm not freaked out about it (like I would be before) as I can see clearly in Fitbit why I'm not losing.

SoMuchFattitude
06-07-2013, 07:48 AM
I am also 5'4" (but older than most here - I'm in my 50s). I get 26 points a day and that generally works out to 1100 to 1300 calories depending on what I eat. I know because I also track calories in MyFitnessPal.

I was always frustrated at being a slow loser. For 2 years I followed the program religiously, never going over my points. Sometimes eating weekly points, some times not eating them, usually eating about half of them. And, I lost between 1/4 and 1/2 pound a week on average. During the middle of this I was going to the gym or rowing at home.

But here's the deal. My life is sedentary. I drive to work and then mostly sit. I have a one story house. I don't do yard work and doing stuff around the house is pretty easy. When I got an Active Link I found that I wasn't meeting my baseline every day. Weight Watchers in assigning points is trying to create a roughly 1000 calorie deficit a day (to get to 2 pounds loss a week). People who are closer to goal weight will find it harder to do that as someone who weighs 165 doesn't burn as many calories doing things as, say, someone would who does the same things weighing 265. So, as you get close to goal it is hard to lose quickly. It is even harder if, like me, you have a sedentary lifestyle.

Weight watchers in creating that 1000 calorie deficit assumes that you will burn a certain amount of calories each day. That is your baseline that they assume. What I found out was that even with exercising for half an hour several days a week I wasn't meeting my baseline because I was sitting too much.

In my case, the Active Link diagnosed the problem but didn't solve it. So I bought a Fitbit. With the Fitbit I could see very clearly what the problem is. On an average day if I don't make an effort to not sit, I will walk about 3000 steps. When I walk 3000 steps I'm lucky if I lose 1/4 pound in a week and often I will lose nothing.

So, I have had to try to find ways to walk more often. For example I put a program (eyeleo) on my computer that gives me a periodic reminder to get up and take a break. I will get up and walk back forth to the other end of the house a couple of time. At work, I will get up every 20 minutes and walk to the rest room or go to the kitchen, just to get some steps in. Just doing these things throughout the day got my steps up to around 5000 to 6000.

The other thing I started doing for the first time ever is going outside and walking. When I do that I will hit 8000 to 10000 steps in a day and when I do that I average 1 1/4 pounds lose a week.

I know that you have time constraints. I am lucky in that I'm able to walk in the evening before it gets dark and I have a good neighborhood for walking in. If I didn't and didn't have time to go to a gym, I would probably buy me a treadmill. I realize that may not be an option for you right now. I have a long commute when I work but I work part-time so that makes it easier for me.

When I was still working full time with kids at home and long hours and a long commute, I sometimes couldn't priortize the weight loss.

If you can't exercise at all, at 165, I think you will most likely have to priortize eating healthy and maybe losing weight very very slowly. Even maintaining your weight at such a stressful time is a victory.

Also, I don't think that someone who is 5'4" can realistically have a goal of 120 without engaging in intense exercise. I know whereof I speak because I am a lifetime member and my original goal weight was 125. I made that goal weight when I was 37 and even got down to a low of 117. And, at that time, I was single and spent a lot of time exercising and obsessing about food. And you know what? I couldn't maintain it. I couldn't exercise the extreme control of food needed to stay at that life given the amount of exercise I was willing to do (which was about an hour a day for 5 or 6 days of the week).

Someone who weighs 120 has a really low basal metabolic rate. On a sedentary day (weighing in my 180s now), I burn about 200 calories more than my BMR (my BMR is about 1500). On an active day where I get 10000 steps in I burn about 2000 calories total and if I eat 1250 calories a day then I should lose 1 1/2 pounds a week.

At 120 pounds a female age 40 has a BMR of 1289 calories at this calculator. So if you are sedentary you are probably going to gain weight if you eat more than 1500 calories a day. That is really, really hard to maintain long term if you aren't exercising so you can eat more food.

If you can't exercise right now (and I can understand it) then it might be more realistic to set a goal weight at the top of your range and then get there and focus on maintaining it for awhile before deciding on such an extremely lose goal weight.

I have personally found it illuminating to track my calories eaten and compare them to what Fitbit says are the calories I've burned. I have found that there is a high correlation between that information and what I actually lose. I've been sick the last couple of weeks and have been more sedentary (extremely sedentary) and not going much over BMR several days. And, I haven't been losing either. But I'm not freaked out about it (like I would be before) as I can see clearly in Fitbit why I'm not losing.

ALL OF THIS.

BreathingSpace
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Wow, thanks Koshka that was awesome!!

Krissypants29
06-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Ok so I read some of your post and Im noticing that you mentioned "packaged foods" .. big no no..also you mentioned jerky and wheat bread. Maybe try some ezekiel bread. I eat it every day and it is way better for you and less carbs!! Its spouted grain..

Another thing is eating in between meals, snacking! That will raise your metabolism..I snack between every meal!!!! Mixed nuts, large salad or spinach salad, multigrain crackers with hummus, greek yogurt, berries, apples, almond butter with toast, carrots. Dinner side dishes sweet potatoes, bulgur wheat, quoina, lots of GREENS!!! always have half of your dinner plate full of veggies!!!! Also try to drink lots of water and have green tea..limit your salt and sugar intake significantly!!!!!

Try these and I bet you will notice a huge difference. I lost 35 pounds so far and am still going WITHOUT exersize .. but I will be getting into that later. Good Luck!