Weight Loss Surgery - Getting pregnant after gastric bypass

Sleepy
06-01-2013, 02:48 PM
What are your thoughts?

How soon? Is eight months too soon to start trying?

jiffypop
06-01-2013, 04:47 PM
that's something you should discuss with your doc. from what i know, they usually recommend not getting pregnant for at least a year after surgery - some say two years. and some are in the middle. SOOOO much depends on your vitamin status...

Sleepy
06-02-2013, 03:23 AM
Why do they say we need to wait? Im thinking..I already eat everything, the major weight loss is over..I dont think I will eat much more then I do allready...so I dont get this. My surgeon didnt explain much about this. But my G is perfectly fine with this and doesnt see the problem. My blood is great in every way as well. Im also kind of sure it wont just happen in a second right? ;)

Zeitgeist
06-02-2013, 06:43 AM
At eight months out, you are still losing weight, still malabsorbing calories. Your pouch hasn't fully "matured" yet, meaning it will still increase in size. I can eat a heck of a lot more at (almost) 2 years than I could at 8 months. Malabsorbtion doesn't usually end until around 18 months out.

Most surgeons want you to wait (from 12-24 months) so that both you and the baby will have the best chance of success. As the baby matures, you want to be able to provide the best nutritional success for it; a pouch at 8 months out may not be able to do the best job of that. Heck you even said, "I don't think I will eat much more than I already do." In the first trimester that may not be a problem, but can't you see how that could be a problem in the second and third trimesters?

And, don't be so sure that it won't happen over night. Many women become very fertile after RNY.

I guess my question to you is why you would want to risk your health or the health of a baby by rushing things and not waiting until your pouch matures a bit more.

Sleepy
06-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanx Jen! I didnt know malabsorbtion actually ends!?

Why I am impatient..well I gonna be 40 this year.. That is the main reason. I don't have that much time anymore. I cant wait another two years. I know of cases when women got pregnant..didn't plan though..and everything was fine. I know its hard to say we'll try it and see what happens..this is why I am thinking about all this..pros ad contras ...but the age fact is still someting I have to consider :/

loveyhowell27
07-23-2013, 04:32 PM
My doc warned me I would become uber fertile so be sure to use birth control until I was ready to get preggo.
I didnt meet my hubby until 7 yrs after surgery, but I had a healthy pregnancy and a 2 yr old son....Note, I also had him at 40! I did get my blood checked regularly to make sure I was getting all the vitamins I needed and never had an issue.
Good Luck if this something you'd like to pursue.