Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/146/126

Height: 5'5"

Default How to help my mum?

My mum is very overweight. I have no idea how much she weighs but I would say she has a BMI of at least 40.
She has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and is on some medication which she hates. She has struggled with her weight since I was young, although she weighed about 133lb when I was born 24 years ago.
She goes to WW meetings every week, even when she is not really dieting, as she feels it keeps her on track, which I think is a total waste of money.
She has been diagnosed with depression, however I'm not sure if she is still on antidepressants as this was some time ago.

I would love to help motivate her, but I just don't know how. She is miserable with her weight and although she eats reasonably healthy meals, she snacks a lot especially in the evenings. About 8 years ago she got down to a UK size 14 from a UK size 22, but I believe she is back up to at least a 20-22 again.

I don't live with her but I do talk to her every day and she has been really pleased with my weight loss over the last few months. I just want to help her to feel that she deserves to lose weight and that she can if she really puts her mind to it, but I just don't know how to get through to her. I don't drive and she doesn't either. We don't live within walking distance of one another and she would die of embarrassment if she had to go to the gym.

Please help.
metalfirecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfirecracker View Post
My mum is very overweight. I have no idea how much she weighs but I would say she has a BMI of at least 40.
She has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and is on some medication which she hates. She has struggled with her weight since I was young, although she weighed about 133lb when I was born 24 years ago.
She goes to WW meetings every week, even when she is not really dieting, as she feels it keeps her on track, which I think is a total waste of money.
She has been diagnosed with depression, however I'm not sure if she is still on antidepressants as this was some time ago.

I would love to help motivate her, but I just don't know how. She is miserable with her weight and although she eats reasonably healthy meals, she snacks a lot especially in the evenings. About 8 years ago she got down to a UK size 14 from a UK size 22, but I believe she is back up to at least a 20-22 again.

I don't live with her but I do talk to her every day and she has been really pleased with my weight loss over the last few months. I just want to help her to feel that she deserves to lose weight and that she can if she really puts her mind to it, but I just don't know how to get through to her. I don't drive and she doesn't either. We don't live within walking distance of one another and she would die of embarrassment if she had to go to the gym.

Please help.
Hey metalfirecracker,I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sure it's heartbreaking to see her in this condition.
You said your mom used to take anti depressants,so does that mean she had a therapist or did her regular Dr prescribe them to her? She definitely should speak to a therapist.
maybe you can encourage her to get psychiatric help.
Even if she doesn't get back on meds,talking about her weight issues and other issues will help her.
learning different techniques like what triggers negative thoughts and emotion can help her cope with them better and in a healthy way.
Trust me,if her depression doesn't get in check,it's going to be a vicious cycle of FEELING BAD ABOUT HERSELF,EATING,GAINING WEIGHT,GETTING MORE DEPRESSED,EATING MORE.....etc

Last edited by Tohisha77; 06-22-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Tohisha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #3  
PoundPuncher

S/C/G: 176/161/155

Height: 5'7

Your mom is lucky to have you as a daughter. Other women out there will not give a damn about their mom's sufferings. Maybe what you can do for her is to continuously support her. Tell her not to lose hope and continue to try losing weight.
myjade84 is offline   Reply With Quote