Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/190/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Weight loss following a depression spell

Hi, just registered here and thought I'd make a post in this category.

I was a chunky kid but for some reason all the females in my family start that way and then hit a stage around age 14 where they thin out. Happened to me too, it was great, I was thin for almost three years. My close friend (who was on the chunkier side) always commented on how good I looked and how jealous she was. I actually felt guilty since I put no effort into it at all (was about 115-125 lbs).

And then that friend got sick and died. She was 17 and got esophageal cancer, a disease most common in men over age 60. Go figure. What was worst was how little time we all had to accept it (she didn't tell most of her friends she had cancer until after Christmas 'cause she didn't want to ruin their holidays). Only got to see her once before she died within three weeks of visiting the hospital.

After that the circle of friends was destroyed. A few moved as far away as possible. Another couple moved sort of far. One stopped communicating, and another moved on to new friends I guess. I dunno. Point is I lost my peer group, isolated myself, and entered university alone. Being alone is bad I've found. That's why I registered on here, need some sort of support system.

Immediately after that event I began to gain weight and have been ever since. It's been two years, and I'm cursed with tight skin so I have all these horrible stretch marks all over and on one arm especially. I'm 19 now, and I think I'm around 180-190 now though I can't be sure since our scale broke (ha ha!) a while back and we haven't purchased a new one. I figure that friend wouldn't want to see me hole up in my depression and become a sad-looking whale again so I'm trying to lose weight.

I think a good starting goal is to lose 20 lbs by my birthday (end of October). Although I'd rather go by inches but I don't really know how to convert lbs to inches.

It'd also be nice to talk to other people who've gone through similar experiences. I don't want to be alone anymore.

Oh and I kind of want a boyfriend (never had one before) so there's some motivation!
CaitlinF is offline   Reply With Quote