Veggie Challenged - Bell Pepper Rant

View Full Version : Bell Pepper Rant

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
I will never eat them, they are disgusting :barf: and so many people like them! They stink, and their strong flavor permeates any dish they're in. Not to mention they burp up and mess with my digestion on the few occasions I've actually consumed any. :headache: I refuse to eat them again, ever.:snooty:

The only thing I like about them is their looks - they are very attractive just sitting there. But cut into one and their evil plot is laid bare. :devil:

This is just an anti-bell-pepper thread for my amusement and that of anyone who agrees. If you have overcome a bell pepper aversion, more power to you but don't bother proselytizing, I ain't buyin' it! :p

joefla70
05-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I am not a big fan of green peppers, but I'm ok with red, yellow and orange.

elvislover324
05-29-2013, 05:53 PM
The passion in this post is coming through my computer screen!!! :rofl:

I never liked peppers for 36 years. This past year, I am in love with them (no green though, yuck!!!). And never green pepper on a pizza. Double-gross. And no green pepper on a pizza baked next to mine.

I do have 2 yellow peppers all cut and prepped to roast tonight. They are beautiful, gorgeous peppers. :love: The orange ones are for tomorrow.

This thread cracked me up, made my whole afternoon! :)

TurboMammoth
05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
The passion in this post is coming through my computer screen!!! :rofl:

I'm with you, I was going to say that it was a lot of animosity for a simple veggie!!! LOL

I like to munch of raw bell pepper while I eat lunch, which was completly disgusting a coworker in the past hehe!

NotTheCheat
05-29-2013, 06:09 PM
But cut into one and their evil plot is laid bare. :devil:

You mean like this?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/NotTheCheat/Pepper_zps5c823453.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/NotTheCheat/media/Pepper_zps5c823453.jpg.html)

(This is one of my recent sculptures exploring food - pre-glaze)

elvislover324
05-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Notthecheat, that is AWESOME!!! And so very appropriate for this thread!!! Love it!!

Lecomtes
05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Hahaha, this is hilarious. :) It would be difficult to have such a strong aversion to such a ubiquitous food! My veggie-hate is concentrated on canned peas. They look like sheep poo. bwahaha! I'm cool with fresh though. :D

zoesmom
05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Yep....this is me as well. No peppers please and thank you! And NotTheCheat...that is so awesome!!!! :lol:

100Mother
05-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Hahahahaha, so funny.

I, like others in this thread, did not like bell peppers until I discovered the red, yellow, and orange ones. I love the sauted and I like them raw in a salad.

Still can't do celery though. That stuff is the devil to me.

Hehe, thanks for making me smile!

lazylioness
05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
I am not a fan of the green pepper. However, I love me some red, orange or yellow pepper. Especially raw with Hummus! Yum!

Changergirl
05-29-2013, 08:52 PM
It's so strange, these are one of the few vegetables that I actually like but my fiance can't stand and since he does the cooking I hardly get to eat. I guess he's not alone in his hatred of them.

tommy
05-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Yup -though I grew up in a stuffed bell pepper culture. They make me do little repeat burps all day. I have come to enjoy, on occasion, roasted red, yellow or orange one. I do it myself and peel off the skin which I think is part of the problem. The green ones are the only vegetable I avoid.

SuperHeroTeacher
05-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Hahahaha - I like bell peppers, but I feel the same passionate hatred for onions. They are nasty no matter how prepared, no matter the dish. I've hated onions every single day of my 40 years.

amandie
05-29-2013, 11:47 PM
I cracked up at this thread! :rofl: I love the evil sculpture of the bell pepper!

I love bell peppers but hate how they make me burp afterwards. I don't like them raw and prefer the red/orange/yellow more than the green though I will eat the green if that's all they have.

kaplods
05-30-2013, 12:10 AM
I love the sculpture. I love peppers, but I can't cook with them, because they make hubby violently ill. He likes the flavor, but they tear up his stomach. We think it's an enzyme, because dehydrated peppers don't bother him (so I can use them in say a spaghetti sauce).

You could sat that hubby likes peppers, but they seem to hate him. That's what made me laugh when I saw the "evil pepper" sculpture.

My "evil" food is applesauce, the texture makes me gag. My parents and grandparents would repeatedly force me to "taste it, because everyone likes applesauce." My aversion got so bad that I couldn't eat if applesauce was on my plate (you could have put dog poop on a plate of food and I probably would have eaten around it).

Hey, maybe that would make a good appetite suppressant - putting a dab of applesauce on my plate at every snack.

It's virtually a phobia, just the thought of applesauce gives me the willies.

Remington90
05-30-2013, 12:16 AM
I LOVE peppers. I eat them on their own all the time. Green I can't do on their own, but red, yellow and orange are awesome. Now tomatoes, that veggie (I know it's a fruit but whatever) should have its' own hate out thread. Can't stand them.

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
05-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Ha ha, I'm glad I was entertaining in my rant. I'm a picky eater who's trying to branch out but some things are just too much for me, and I have to get rid of the angst somehow! My roommate likes bell peppers and though we mostly prepare our meals individually, if we're having company, I worry that ****, I mean bell, peppers will be in it. :devil:

NotTheCheat, the sculpture is far too cute for the vileness that is the bell pepper, keep trying! :lol: Think Darth Vader with a migraine, perhaps.

Remington90, my hate for whole tomatoes or identifiable parts thereof, and SuperHeroTeacher, for onion pieces too small to see and remove that one crunches into, know no bounds either! I like spaghetti sauce and other similar tomato things but they must be puree'd smooth, with no onion bits! Nor pepper bits!

Garnet2727
05-30-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for bell peppers. I grew up in Arizona and they were used everywhere! Blech!

I love, love, LOVE that bell pepper sculpture!

Psychic
05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
I HATE bell peppers. My mom usually mixes them in with the lettuce in the salad bowl. I can eat around them, but their taste lingers and its absolutely disgusting.

I also have an aversion to raw onion and tomatoes. Bleh. I can eat some tomato based sauces, but they're so not my favorite and they must be smooth.

ReNew Me
05-31-2013, 01:24 PM
I have a similar problem with digesting bell peppers as well, but only if they're cooked, they'll repeat on me for hours and hours and give me heartburn.

I don't care for them raw but, oddly enough, don't have any problems if I eat them that way (I like salsa and it doesn't bother me).

I also have a major aversion to raw onions (they'll literally make me gag), but actually enjoy them cooked.

Everyone has their idiosyncrasies. But I kind of understand the bell pepper frustration. So many people/restaurants chuck them into just about every dish and don't think of mentioning it. People with cast iron stomachs just don't know how good they have it!

bethFromDayton
05-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Some of you make my aversion to broccoli sound almost normal. I love sweet peppers (all colors). i love celery. But I hate brocls. They're horrible smelly things and they're in so many otherwise tasty looking dishes.

When I was pregnant, DH wasn't even allowed to bring them into the house. I won't let them stay on my plate in a restaurant--if they come with a dish and I didn't realize it, I ask for another plate so I can remove them (or give them to a companion). I really really really hate brocls.

Issaknits
05-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I like red, yellow, and orange bell peppers well enough, but I think my dislike for green comes from a bad childhood overexposure.

My dad decided to grow a garden when we first bought a house outside of the city. He thought, knowing his luck in keeping anything plant-like alive, that if he planted about ten pepper plants that only one or two would make it and the surviving plants would only make a handful of produce. Nope. They all made it. And thrived. We were eating peppers all sorts of ways for what seemed like forever.

lazylioness
05-31-2013, 05:32 PM
I am an odd duck I think...I like vegetables...except summer squash, zucchini and tomatos....but dislike fruit....

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
06-01-2013, 05:50 PM
I appreciate y'all joining me in my rant. It helped to get it off my chest! And it was cheaper than going and buying some bell peppers so I could run over them with my van, then back up and run over them again! :s:

elvislover324
06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I appreciate y'all joining me in my rant. It helped to get it off my chest! And it was cheaper than going and buying some bell peppers so I could run over them with my van, then back up and run over them again! :s:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sasyblond401
01-27-2014, 08:55 AM
i LOVE RED PEPPERS-----i EVEN STUFF THEM AND BACK THEM:smug::carrot:

Valkyrie1
01-29-2014, 12:54 AM
I hate parsnips. If you boil parsnips, you get a smell like boiling dirty laundry. Bleurg!

penmage
02-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Don't treat the poor van like that! The van never did anything to you. Nasty peppers. :lol:

RadaTwirl
02-02-2014, 04:34 AM
I hate bell peppers.
The sight of them makes me gag. I'm not kidding. I get like this with any pepper but bell peppers are the worst.

Pattience
02-02-2014, 05:09 AM
I don't thnk you are meant to boil parsnips per se. I think they are meant to go in a soup. Or at least that's the best use of them i know. Also roasted.

Also capsicum as we call bell peppers here in Australia is delicious roasted/made into dip/roast veggie soup.

I can't think of any natural veggie food i hate. Oh ok i don't like soybeans much. And i don't can go without sweet potato but otherwise i like them all.

But not frozen peas and other frozen veggies because they all taste like flavoured water. I love canned peas though.

Well if you are a picky eater, this thread is not surprising. I think picky eaters are a pain myself. OH god i know i am going to get in trouble for saying that. …lol

penmage
02-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I hate bell peppers.
The sight of them makes me gag. I'm not kidding. I get like this with any pepper but bell peppers are the worst.

Me too, RadaTwirl, me too. And my brother eats them like CANDY! *shudder*

kaplods
02-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm not by any means a picky eater, and I LOVE bell peppers, especially the tiny multicolored sweet peppers.

However, last night I made peppers on a way that even passionate pepper haters might find edible.

I picked the smallest peppers out of the bag (smaller than a thumb) and wrapped each in 1/3 slice of bacon, then microwave until the bacon is crispy.

These are a low-carb, but not low-calorie treat, so I only had a few.

Hubby says deep fring or wrapping in bacon "doesn't count," because he's pretty sure that anything can be made edible by deepfrying and/or wrapping in bacon.

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
05-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Nah, that is just a method to spoil perfectly good bacon! :D

VermontMom
05-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Skinnyminnie W., thanks for the laughs!! :rofl: I thought your first post was great then i saw this -

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :devil:

I suppose you might have nightmares if I told that I used thick slices of green pepper (or red or yellow) as an edible spoon for my homemade chili :devil:

mars735
05-20-2014, 10:45 AM
You mean like this?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/NotTheCheat/Pepper_zps5c823453.jpg (http://s61.photobucket.com/user/NotTheCheat/media/Pepper_zps5c823453.jpg.html)

(This is one of my recent sculptures exploring food - pre-glaze)

This is AMAZING!!! Hope you'll post after it's glazed.

df180
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I use to not like them either, but I do now. I think they're great :)
There's a lot of stuff I never thought I'd eat that I love now, sometime's it just takes time to get use to the taste.

There's plenty more foods I'm not fond of that I want to start eating.

JerseyPAGirl
05-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Oh, I'm so on board with this post! Peppers are not something I like. And if they are in something, I pick every last one of them out. I don't mind if they flavor something (as long as it's not overpowering the dish), but I won't eat them raw or cooked.

I have eaten yellow and orange peppers which aren't bad. But I don't go out of my way to purchase them.

It behoves me why anyone would buy those god forsaken GREEN peppers....UGH!!

The one veggie I will NEVER eat is asparagus. Too strong in taste. Ick!!

Skinnyminnie Wannabe
06-01-2014, 07:03 PM
mars735, that is one scary pepper! It could be the pepper of my nightmares!

JerseyPAGirl, yeah, I have to pick them out - even the microscopic bits - and if there are big pieces and they've tainted the dish too much, count me out. Green are the worst.

If it's fresh and roasted properly, and not overseasoned, asparagus I can handle. When I was growing up, my parents used to eat this foul, greyish canned asparagus that stunk to high heaven. :P That, I would never eat.

jeminijad
07-19-2014, 03:03 PM
So what do pepper and onion haters do about traditional dishes that start with mirepoix? Pretty much every braise or long cooked French derived dish ever.

Lacyt74
07-19-2014, 04:35 PM
What I want to know is what is the difference between green and red/orange/yellow bell peppers?? I don't eat any of them, hehe! Skinny, I about peed down my leg reading all your ranting entries here!
Notthecheat.....beautiful! I LOVE the sculpture! Would you consider painting green and selling??
I will try raw and stuffed non green bell peppers this weekend in the name of science and solidarity.

Lacyt74
07-20-2014, 08:36 PM
O tonight I made green, red, and yellow bell peppers stuffed with a mix of buffalo, garlic, fresh basil, onion, mushrooms, and quinoa.....topped with part skim mozzerella cheese. I tasted one bite with everything in it and, while not my fave, it wasn't horrible. I had a small bowl of the filling. DH and his sister said it was the shizzy and I said rock on! He has two halves for lunch tomorrow, yay.
:twirly: