Medifast - Day 2!

View Full Version : Day 2!

PudgyFlamingo
05-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Hi guys,

I'm on Day 2 and I'm starving. Please tell me this gets easier in terms of cravings and feeling weak.

citygirl89
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi PudgyFlamingo! It will get easier. I am edging towards week three and my cravings really are minimal. I know it's hard to believe, but I've been around pasta, cookies, and pizza and not even flinched.

I will say I still feel hungry a lot but it's easier to manage, and my mindset has changed so I'm not giving into the urges.

You're doing great and remember to take it day by day.

Andi24
05-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I know it's hard to believe right now, but it WILL get better. You'll feel better in a day or two, it takes about a month for your body to completely adjust and get your energy back, but in a day or two you'll find it much easier. Stick with it, you CAN do this!

PudgyFlamingo
05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys! I am finding it a bit hard because I work in a restaurant. HOWEVER, I am finding it easier that I dont have to THINK of what to eat! Ive gainec about 20 lbs in the past month ( comfort eating because of a broken hand and subsequent surgery) so I'm probably eating less then half what I am used to.

SuperHeroTeacher
05-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Your first week or two you can add an extra Medifast meal if you're starving. For me, I was only hungry for the first couple of days, and I haven't been hungry since.

Stick with it, it truly works! I'm on week 8 and down 30 pounds. My start weight was close to yours...

PudgyFlamingo
05-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the advice! I am feeling better today. Yesterday I was having really strong cravings and I realized that I think I was craving salt because I am eating a lot less of it, so i had some salt on a tomato and that helped a ton.

Today is feeling better already!

PudgyFlamingo
05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Ok so today end of day 3. I cheated with a slice of tomato and salt yesterdaybut other than that been totally OP. hunger is getting lessbut still thrre. Howling before you guys stopped wanting to gnaw off your limbs? :)

PudgyFlamingo
05-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Ok end of day 3 and im having wicked cravings again. Im not HUNGRY but i am craving realllly strongly steak, pizza, baked potato type stuff. Did you guys get these cravings at first? This is always my dieting downfall - craving certain foods, that makes me give up. With ketosis, do the cravings subside or just the hunger?

SuperHeroTeacher
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
For me I had some pretty bizarre cravings the first week or so - for instance one night I wanted gravy so bad I thought I was going crazy. And I don't even LIKE gravy. I attribute this to my carb addiction.

I did have a lot of crazy food dreams the first few weeks - some nights I dreamt about food all night long. Donuts, baked potatoes, bacon, ice cream, and on and on and on...

When I get a salt craving I eat a pickle spear (it's considered an optional snack), it really helps.

I'm on week 8 or 9 (I've actually lost track) and I experience cravings very infrequently, maybe once a week.

PudgyFlamingo
05-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks so much! I've been having the gravy craving too! So bizarre. I keep fantasizing about it!!! How do you get through those moments where you want something so bad you feel like you're going to go nuts? Or is it never as bad as the first week?

SuperHeroTeacher
05-31-2013, 12:31 AM
For me cravings haven't been a problem for several weeks. The only exception really was this past weekend when I went a bit off plan and drank 3 vodka tonics (a total no-no), I was insane craving Mac n cheese... If I wasn't in a hotel I probably would have made myself some. Lesson learned - drinking is not only off-plan, it leads to poor food choices too...

PudgyFlamingo
05-31-2013, 07:57 AM
I lose control when I drink too!

PudgyFlamingo
05-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Ok just had my first shake of the day. I feel bloated and its kind of sitting in my tummy like cement.

citygirl89
05-31-2013, 09:13 AM
This still happens to me, unfortunately. Usually my first and last meals of the day make me feel bloated and heavy. I've not yet figured out how to fix that :(

Andi24
05-31-2013, 10:21 AM
The cravings to subside, I had them BAD at first but not so much anymore. There are often lean and greens or recipes you can make to satiate some cravings. A mocha frap with some peppermint extract takes care of my want for starbucks usually...Mcdonalds is another weakness so I went on a hunt for an OP recipe and found one yesterday from IP that gave me my McDonalds fix. I posted it in the recipes thread. Medifast does make a gravy. Of course nothing is perfect but once you start substituting I think your body adjusts to the new food. I don't crave starbucks anymore, but I do crave my mocha fraps :) I hven't even attempted to give me my alcohol fix, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop myself at just one glass.

SuperHeroTeacher
05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Ok just had my first shake of the day. I feel bloated and its kind of sitting in my tummy like cement.

Are you taking the dietary supplements? I found these really helped my digestive tract transition onto the MF foods. I took 3 packets per day for the first month, 2 the second month, and I'm down to 1 packet per day now - although I forgot to pack it last weekend and went 3 days without with no problems, so I may discontinue.

PudgyFlamingo
06-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks guys, i will look into the supplements!

Still having urges to eat when i see or smell yummy food. The last one was seeing a burrito on tv . However, I am not hungry AT ALL in terms of tummy growling or headache or any of that!

Psychologically though trying to fight the thoughts that I cant keep this up for the 12 weeks I set for myself. My problem is that I just really love food, at this point probably more than I love anything else in my life (sad but true, i know). I'm worried about being strong enough to do this andcontrol my anxiety enough to not give up. And it's super hard.

In other news, fat chicks are not made for hot weather! Im so hot and my window air conditioners are not doing a great job! Im sweaty under the cast on my arm and it was over 87 degrees at work today (the air conditioners always magically "break" for most of the summer) and I was worried about fainting.

Please help me with encouragement!! I am happy my tummy has stopped growling but it doesnt help with the temptation to just eat my feelings away!!

Andi24
06-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Wont it be worth it when the heat doesn't bother you nearly as much? I can honestly tell you I felt the same way at first. I found that once I was on it for awhile, I didn't get those feelings so much. I have had bad days (2 of them)...but they didn't kill me. Maybe I would be farther along right now if I hadn't had them, but I can't regret them. I did some clothing shopping yesterday because I didn't fit into anything, and an amazing feeling comes with buying 2 sizes smaller then you did last time you went shopping, AND dropping a cup size. It makes it all worth it.

I ate for comfort. I ate because I was bored. I ate because the food was there. I ate for something to do with my mouth. I guess I lived to eat and not eat to live. Medifast teaches you that food is not important. Friends, family, people, commitments are important. Food is enjoyable, and you can still enjoy it, but train your body not to let it take over your life. Fight through these first few weeks, and it WILL get easier!

Once your through the first few weeks, maybe try out a gym. I hate even saying that because I have always despised working out, but since I joined I've found that it actually makes me crave food less. It makes me realize how hard it is to burn that 200 calories and not want to undo that. And it gives me an adrenaline high that I used to try to satisfy by eating :)

Andi24
06-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Are you taking the dietary supplements? I found these really helped my digestive tract transition onto the MF foods. I took 3 packets per day for the first month, 2 the second month, and I'm down to 1 packet per day now - although I forgot to pack it last weekend and went 3 days without with no problems, so I may discontinue.

What supplements are you taking? I may need to look into that because MF gives me gas...BAD. Smelly, horrible, LOUD gas and it's embarrassing! And I've tried to lay off the bars...it's most definitely not the bars that are the problem!!

PudgyFlamingo
06-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks Andi! You are absolutely right. I think this is also hard for me because I am barely working due to my broken hand/cast on my arm. I've hadnothing to do which really doesnt help things! I am now going to start one-handed packing to move in a few weeks so that will keep me busy!!

PudgyFlamingo
06-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Day 5!!! I can taste (ha!) the end of week one. Im hoping the first week is the hardest and it gets easier. I'm not going to weigh myself for a few weeks but I do have that feeling already that I'm heading toward "lighter".

SuperHeroTeacher
06-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Wont it be worth it when the heat doesn't bother you nearly as much? I can honestly tell you I felt the same way at first. I found that once I was on it for awhile, I didn't get those feelings so much. I have had bad days (2 of them)...but they didn't kill me. Maybe I would be farther along right now if I hadn't had them, but I can't regret them. I did some clothing shopping yesterday because I didn't fit into anything, and an amazing feeling comes with buying 2 sizes smaller then you did last time you went shopping, AND dropping a cup size. It makes it all worth it.

I ate for comfort. I ate because I was bored. I ate because the food was there. I ate for something to do with my mouth. I guess I lived to eat and not eat to live. Medifast teaches you that food is not important. Friends, family, people, commitments are important. Food is enjoyable, and you can still enjoy it, but train your body not to let it take over your life. Fight through these first few weeks, and it WILL get easier!

Once your through the first few weeks, maybe try out a gym. I hate even saying that because I have always despised working out, but since I joined I've found that it actually makes me crave food less. It makes me realize how hard it is to burn that 200 calories and not want to undo that. And it gives me an adrenaline high that I used to try to satisfy by eating :)

I could have written this ^^^ almost verbatim.

For me, knew from the beginning that I'm not overweight because I'm hungrier than everyone else; I'm overweight because I have a ridiculous relationship with food. I planned it out and started MF at a time that I knew I could stay completely clear of the temptations for the first couple weeks (spring break).

I also have an addictive personality, so I knew once I started seeing big losses, I would be hooked on seeing those losses continue, so I wouldn't cave to temptation.

What supplements are you taking? I may need to look into that because MF gives me gas...BAD. Smelly, horrible, LOUD gas and it's embarrassing! And I've tried to lay off the bars...it's most definitely not the bars that are the problem!!

I'm taking the Medifast dietary supplements. They come in a little packet of 2 pills (one capsule, and one large pill). You can take up to 3 packs per day. I would try it out if I were you. They're kind of pricey, but I think once your body is used to the MF foods you can ween yourself off of them. I'm down to one pack per day.

Day 5!!! I can taste (ha!) the end of week one. Im hoping the first week is the hardest and it gets easier. I'm not going to weigh myself for a few weeks but I do have that feeling already that I'm heading toward "lighter".

I'm an obsessive daily weigher, so you my not want to take advice from me... I think you should weigh yourself at the end of week 1. You will likely see a good loss (probably the biggest loss you'll experience), and the motivation that gives may help you through the cravings. After all, cravings are a psychological phenomenon, not physical, so if you have something that feels great (a big loss and the hope for more), you can counter those pesky cravings.

Keep up the good work!!!

PudgyFlamingo
06-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks! I have decided to wait though because weighing myself sets off my OCD bad. I was bulimic through much of my teens and early 20s and weighed myself multiple times a day so I've limited myself for now to monthly weighing. I even gave away my scale. I dont feel strong enough to handle the weekly variations yet but i know that a month will give me a decent number!

30lbsfat
06-02-2013, 08:27 AM
The first week is hard, but I was able to make a birthday cake for one of my kids and still stay on plan. I think the most important thing to do is make your lean and green a fantastic meal. I LOVE good food, so I will buy beef filets, jumbo lump crabmeat, wild copper river salmon, fresh red snapper, etc for my 1 cherished meal of the day, even though it does cost a small fortune!
Have gone off plan once since I started 4 weeks ago......Memorial Day at the lake I was going to allow myself 4 oz of vodka mixed with soda and lemon. Well, that tasted too good and loosened me up so I had 4 more oz and then I lost my good sense and all self control and added a couple of glasses of red wine and then ate everything I could get my hands on for the next 24 hours! Not smart!!

PudgyFlamingo
06-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks! I will think of making some "gourmet" L&G.

I couldnt resist my mother's scale today and on the middle ofday 6 I am down 5.5!

SuperHeroTeacher
06-02-2013, 11:01 PM
I couldnt resist my mother's scale today and on the middle ofday 6 I am down 5.5!

Well done! :cp::bravo::cp: I hope this gives you the boost to keep it up, even in the face of evil cravings!

PudgyFlamingo
06-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Ugh trying not to think of how little it is as part of the big picture

SuperHeroTeacher
06-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Ugh trying not to think of how little it is as part of the big picture

5.5 pounds in 6 days is NOT little!!! Plus, a mid-day weigh in is easily 1-3 pounds higher than a first thing in the morning weigh in! Do you chart your weight? I find it very empowering to see the line trending down.

PudgyFlamingo
06-02-2013, 11:45 PM
I mean... 5.5 down, a million to go! Ugh.