Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Default What do you do to prevent (or postpone!) a binge?

In my case, i like tidying up, so I try to put everything where it belongs... What do you do to "buy some time"?
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/209/175

Height: 5'8"

I just don't keep anything in my house that I'd binge on. No crackers, no sweets, not even sugar for making a quick batch of cookies. (In all my years of binging, it's never been on broccoli.) If I want dessert or chips occasionally, I buy a single serving. Occasionally I buy a special treat like (Resees Peanut Butter Eggs at Easter) but I'll keep it in the trunk of my car. (And I live on the 3rd floor, so it's a total PITA to go for seconds.)

I'm pretty fanatical about it, which used to make me feel like a weakling, but I've realized that I wouldn't feel embarrassed about doing the same with liquor if I were an alcoholic. I'd be proud of how proactive I was.
angelarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

I try not to keep binge foods in the house.. but I can figure out a way to binge on pretty much anything if the feeling is strong enough. Something that really helps me is to go for a walk. Ill leave the house with my iPod and my HUGE water bottle and don't come back until the whole bottle of water is gone. By the time I get back I usually don't feel like bingeing anymore and if I still slip-up, I am pretty full of water at that point and at least cant binge "as bad"...
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

There are a lot of things you can do to distract yourself and buy yourself time:

First, do a pros and cons list. Actually sit down and write out the pros and cons of binging. Then write out the pros and cons of NOT binging. This exercise forces you to think of the consequences and it takes a long time, which is what you need so you can collect your thoughts and think rationally.

Next, you can start asking yourself questions. Ask yourself why you want to binge at that particular moment: what is the underlying emotion? What are you feeling? Really spend time figuring out what is causing the thoughts of binging, then when you isolate the emotion and reason, ask yourself if there is something else you can do to soothe yourself. For example, if you realize that you feel dread because you have to do something you don't want to, like exercise, what can you do besides eating to make you feel better and stop that negative emotion? Again, this exercise takes time, which is what you need.

I have others if you want to PM me.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #5  

I generally throw the food away. I know it's silly, but sometimes it's easier than fighting the urge to pig out. When I was counting calories faithfully, I could keep everything in the house and be fine. I just started up again so hoping it's the same this time.
lauriebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #6  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

The rare times that I do manage to avoid bingeing when I do have the urge, getting away from food is number 1 for me - I go out with my dog, preferably on a long walk. If I'm even a little tired, sleeping works too!
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriebeth View Post
I generally throw the food away. I know it's silly, but sometimes it's easier than fighting the urge to pig out. When I was counting calories faithfully, I could keep everything in the house and be fine. I just started up again so hoping it's the same this time.
I do, too. I, too, count calories, and there are times when I can have food in the house, measure out a portion, and be fine with it. However, the past few months have not been like this. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I kept trying to fool myself that I could have goodies in the house and eat them moderately, but I kept failing to do that. So, these past two weeks, I have been much better at keeping certain foods out of the house. I've caved a couple of times in the grocery store, but not nearly as much as I had been.

The key for me is keeping the trigger food out of sight! If there is a pint of ice cream in the fridge, it will not last one day.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Stay full. Eat healthy, bulky food or food with a lot of water. Make sure you get protein, which will help you stay full longer, and lots of green veggies, to make you feel more full as soon as you eat them. Try not to go long before eating, say 4-5 hours. Have tea or diet soda in between meals.
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #9  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Protein helps me stay full longer and not be as interested in eating. Also sleep, sleep, sleep. I notice most of my biggest binges are days where I have gotten less than 6 hours (which I know they have done studies on etc.) I know this sounds weird but... be around a friend/partner that makes you feel self conscious. Not of course one that makes you feel bad, but I have a few friends and my boyfriend who I just can't really eat in front of easily lol. If I feel like I am about to have a really bad day I usually try to get plans together with them lol.
SkinnyGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #10  

Remove myself from the area where the temptation arose and listen to music while doing bodyweight exercises, push ups, pull ups, or just dance around. I've realized that I have the resources to stop the cravings whenever I want to, it's the wanting to part that can be hard.
Granola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglesita64 View Post
In my case, i like tidying up, so I try to put everything where it belongs... What do you do to "buy some time"?
That's a very good idea. If you've ever done a paint by number--a good one--that you can keep for yourself--give to a family member or friend--they can consume hundred's of hours. It gets your mind and hands off of FOOD--which can be very good for someone who binges--and it also gives you a great deal of satisfaction once you finish one. If you can control your mind--you can control your weight.

Here's some more idea's.

101 suggestions to stop the binging.

http://www.bulimiahelp.org/blog/101-...nstead-binging

Last edited by Kscott; 06-03-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote