Weight Loss Support - Ruled by Doritos

View Full Version : Ruled by Doritos

Vex
05-28-2013, 02:44 PM
WHY CAN I NOT STOP EATING BOWLS OF COOL RANCH DORITOS?

If they are in my house, I'm eating them. I buy them because they're the chips my son and husband like.

I know the tricks and tips to stop... just need to STOP.

Rant off.
That is all~

Vex
05-28-2013, 02:46 PM
same goes for crunchy cheetos apparently. :(

sacha
05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
I fix it by chucking them in the garbage AND dumping old wet coffee grounds on top.

TurboMammoth
05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I fix it by chucking them in the garbage AND dumping old wet coffee grounds on top.
Bwahahaha! Nice plan!

Doritos are my long-time weakness/archenemy!!

joefla70
05-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Mmmm, coffee flavored Doritos!

I think you just stumbled upon the next step for Doritos! Sweet, rather than just savory... kinda like the check mix! Oooh, that would be good!

Funny enough, I am able to avoid eating the snacks, like Doritos and Cheetos, that I buy for the kids. The snacks I have trouble not binging on are the ones I buy for myself, like almonds! I have to keep them in the trunk of my car so that they are not too easily accessible!

elvislover324
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Doritos talk to me. They call my name. They dance and say "you know you want me". Little buggers.

Daki
05-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Doritos are delicious jerks. The sweet and spicy chili ones are impossible for me to resist, especially if they are on sale. If they are in the house I make my fiance hide them for me and when it's my high calorie day I have him dig them out :D

CherryPie99
05-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I ate Doritos for the last time in April, 2010. Until last summer when I had an occasion where I was at a party and there were Doritos there. I decided to have a couple. I said to myself that I probably wouldn't even like them because it had been so long and I don't eat that processed crap any more.

I was wrong. They were freaking DELICIOUS!

Rotten B**tards.

;)

Jen

joefla70
05-28-2013, 03:27 PM
My favorite are the old-school taco flavor. I noticed that they just came out with sour cream and onion.

http://www.excusememe.com/article/1073/11-of-the-Weirdest-Doritos-Flavors

GordonGirl16
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Doritos talk to me. They call my name. They dance and say "you know you want me". Little buggers.

:rofl:

I don't eat Doritos very often and we rarely have them in the house, but when we do I have to stop myself from eating the whole bag. And let's not even talk about Cheetos...in my house we call them "The Precious" like in the Lord of the Rings...

elvislover324
05-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Doritos were on sale at my supermarket this week plus they had an in-store coupon to make them 2 bags for $3. OMG what a bargain. But they aren't on my diet plan, my husband won't eat them, why would I buy them? I didn't get them but between my :love: love for doritos :love: and the great price and the huge display of every flavor, I almost succumbed to the pressure!! But I know I can't be trusted in the same room with them...

Whoever heard of seductive Doritos? Seriously. They are!

freelancemomma
05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Wow. Reading this thread made me feel lucky that my can't-resist-and-can't-control foods are things like fine Belgian chocolate, creme brulee, and real French crepes, which are a lot harder to get than Doritos!

To those of you who have Dorito-demanding family members: Can you ask those family members to keep the bags in a secret place you don't know about and only eat them when you're not around? I don't think it would be such a sacrifice for them...

F.

crispin
05-28-2013, 04:52 PM
lol elvislover! You have me seeing the Doritos rubbing their hands down their triangular curves while throwing sultry glances. Never ever thought that image would be in my head.

I stopped liking Doritos a while back. What I can't resist are biscuits. I baked some once, ate 6 in about 2 hours. I haven't baked them again. They own my soul.

PreciousMissy
05-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Baked Lays have my number. I tried keeping them in the house thinking I was the queen. I was sorely mistaken...Baked Lays rule my kingdom.

elvislover324
05-28-2013, 05:02 PM
lol elvislover! You have me seeing the Doritos rubbing their hands down their triangular curves while throwing sultry glances. Never ever thought that image would be in my head.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

veggiedawg
05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Doritos aren't one of my binge/can't stop foods, but they are yummy and I wanted to eat some the other day. So, I broke a handful of them on my salad--along with black beans, tomato and some avacado dressing. It was delicious.

Eating them with salad rules out all the badness....right?!!?

EmLay
05-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Cheetos, pita chips, and salt and vinegar potato chips are the ones that scream my name until I either "dispose" of them, or throw them away. And cover them with something that would cause them to be inedible.

Mmmmm pita chips.....

betsy2013
05-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Potato chips. Regular, dull, plain ol' potato chips. I want a bag put in my coffin (along with Hershey kisses) just in case it's a long trip to wherever I'll end up. If it's heaven, then I can have all the potato chips and kisses I want with no ramifications!

But if there are no chips, then doritos are right up there. And those crunchy Cheetos. And and and and and......are you getting the drift.

I love the idea of crushing up some on top of a salad. Let's see that recipe would be Crush a bag of Doritos and place on top of a cup of lettuce -- right?

Seriously, the idea of asking your family to hide them is a good one. I have a rule in the house that if someone leaves their dirty laundry on the floor then it gets thrown away (actually, it just goes into clothes time out, but they don't seem to understand that). Just apply the same rule to the Doritos. My challenge would be to make sure that throwing them away did not consist of me finishing off the rest of the bag.

KindaSortaAthlete
05-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh I hear you....I could polish off some Doritos for sure! And Cheetos, and sour cream and chives chips! A Pringles can seems like a half serving to me - why is it when you stack the chips up so nicely like that it makes it seem like you hardly have any??

If it were my choice, I wouldn't have them in the house!

Vex
05-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

elvislover324
05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Just saw this on Pinterest, so funny. Could be about Doritos too!

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y455/elvislover324/chips1_zpsa7ea530f.jpg (http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/elvislover324/media/chips1_zpsa7ea530f.jpg.html)

IanG
05-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Screw Doritos and all cheesy based snacks.

My new lover is spicy salsa, the same I used to apply to said Doritos. It is fat free, low calorie, reasonably low sodium and I am currently using instead of salad dressing.

Sweet baby!

forkeeps
05-28-2013, 10:59 PM
To those of you who have Dorito-demanding family members: Can you ask those family members to keep the bags in a secret place you don't know about and only eat them when you're not around? I don't think it would be such a sacrifice for them...

F.

LOL, you obviously don't know about Dorito breath. Salty, garlicly, seductive Dorito breath. If anybody in the house has eaten them in the past day, I would know (toothbrush or not). Same with the cheesy, spicy, yummy stuff you get on your fingers. :)

Definitely one of my biggest downfalls, and something that I must keep OUT of my house...

novangel
05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I don't think I have had a bag of Dorito's in my home since the 80's. They are good but I'm scarred ever since I choked on them (not once but twice) as a kid. My BF gets them once in a while and I will carefully eat a few.

I like Wheat Thins.

freelancemomma
05-29-2013, 12:24 AM
I like Wheat Thins.

I really like Wheat Thins too -- especially the newer pesto/olive oil and sweet potato flavours. They have a natural, high-quality taste. I've learned the hard way that it's best for me NOT to keep them in the house.

F.

JustB1027
05-29-2013, 01:20 AM
One of my biggest weaknesses is all natural white cheddar cheetos. I used to eat a bag in a sitting. Now they are one of my favorite one serving at a timr snacks. 150 calories for 32. Pretty yummy!

JustB1027
05-29-2013, 01:23 AM
I didn't mean that to sound braggy like I totally have this under control. I don't. I just don't want to deprive myself otherwise I will lose it and wat every bad thing I could find.

kaplods
05-29-2013, 01:51 AM
Usually, my weaknesses aren't "junk food," so much as too much "real" food. We have a chinese restaurant that makes this amazing eggplant in garlic sauce. It's even vegetarian (I'm not)... Sounds healthy, right?

Yeah, except there is a lot of oil and sugar in the sauce, so a candy bar would probably be healthier (and definitely lower in calorie). I can't stop eating it until it's gone (and the restaurant portion is large enough for four). My only saving grace is that while the restaurant delivers, the dish doesn't travel well, as the oil seperates from the sauce - which showed me just how much oil was in the sauce.

That being said, I can't have too much junk in the house, even stuff I "don't like," because I'll find myself eating it anyway, when I get the urge to self-medicate with carbs.

The only thing worse than bingeing on junk you love, is bingeing on junk you don't even like.

Sakai
05-29-2013, 02:55 AM
I used to be their slave....but now whenever i get the itch for their cheesy goodness i just flip the bag around and read the ingredients outloud. Then i would rather lick a car tire than eat them. It's much easier for me now that i know their company supports the devil food company Monsanto. Will never buy them again. However...when at a party and someone else has them out, it's very hard to stay away when there is no ingredients list to turn me off.

dogdaysofdiets
05-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I just discovered Baked Doritos...same processed cheesey goodness, fewer calories. Up until that discovery, I was content to pass them by. Now...sigh...I admit to giving them a second glance. Darn it.

Tate
05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
It is not your fault you find them addictive. They are intentionally manufactured in such a way to get you hooked. Not kidding. Doritos are made with FOUR different kinds of glutamates. For those not in the know, glutamates enhance flavor. They make you LOVE it. Like sprinking heroin on snack food. Also, glutamates inhibit the "I'm full" signal so you just keep eating and eating and eating. True story.

kwin1973
06-03-2013, 03:49 PM
This thread is doing nothing for me but making me crave Doritos. I was at the store this weekend buying cat food and while I was standing in line I noticed a new flavour - Pepper Jack or something like that - and thought mmmm those would be good. I picked up the bag and looked at the calories. 660 calories for the small individual bag. :o I'm happy to report that I put them back and bought my cat's their food and went home. Now all of this talk about Doritos is making want them again. lol :dizzy:

elvislover324
06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
My husband was eating some new kind of chips he got at the store yesterday. He said they tasted like Doritos. So of course I had to lick one...they were NOTHING like Doritos. Some gluten-free, organic, foo-foo pita type chip he got on sale. (I have nothing against foo-foo chips, just don't call them Doritos!)

I told him we have a whole thread about Doritos and the chips he was eating had NOTHING like the chemical reaction we crave and receive from Doritos. And...that you'd all be offended by his silly tastebuds. He could never be a part of the Dorito Club!

SuperCecilia
06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Kind of following up on Tate's comment:

Yes, they include MSG which switches off the body's ability to say "I'm full."

Also partially hydrogenated oil, a type of fat God never intended and is created in a laboratory, thus our bodies don't know how to process it and it causes all kinds of inflammation. (Yes, it's not on the label but there is a FDA loophole that allows them to round down to zero if it is .5 g or less per serving..and let's face it, who only eats one serving?)

artificial colors (especially in the cool ranch ones), including yellow #5 which is made from petroleum. (not kidding - google it!) Also blue and red dyes, which my friends with kids tell me makes their hyperactivity and ADD symptoms worse.

a crap ton of sodium (80% of your RDA in twelve chips...and, come on, who eats only twelve chips?)

and practically no vitamins and minerals or anything else beneficial. :(

Don't get me wrong, I like the taste, too. But looking at the ingredient label and knowing the impact on my health can help me to steer clear.

TurboMammoth
06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I told him we have a whole thread about Doritos and the chips he was eating had NOTHING like the chemical reaction we crave and receive from Doritos. And...that you'd all be offended by his silly tastebuds. He could never be a part of the Dorito Club!

Tell your husband I am FREAKING offended! Bwhahahahah!

elvislover324
06-03-2013, 06:26 PM
But looking at the ingredient label and knowing the impact on my health can help me to steer clear.

If you keep the front of the bag facing you, you will never see the ingredients. :D That's how I do it!!

Tell your husband I am FREAKING offended! Bwhahahahah!

I'll give him the hairy eyeball when he's eating them tonight. What do I call them, Mockritos? :rofl: