Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/182/125

Height: 5 ft

Default Thinking of going on my own

Today was my first weigh in. I was not disappointed, however my coach was. I started this diet knowing that I most likely not lose a ton of weight every week because I have been an Atkins yo-yo dieter for years so IP was not a huge shock to my body. I have also never lost weight without exercise before, but I thought I would give the program a try.

I "only" (her words and not mine ) lost 3 lbs this week and she said I should've lost much more that that. She said typically 8 or 9 lbs in the norm for the first week with water weight included.

Now I wonder after leaving, why I am paying this amount of money for this food and to weigh in some place every week. She suggested that I may not be eating enough lettuce, but if I have to eat an exact amount of lettuce to lose weight in addition to exact amounts of everything else on the program I am wondering if it's really for me.

I plan to stick it out because I feel like happy that I am losing something, but wonder if paying money for a coach and the food is really worth it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Nickc33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #2  
4/15/13

S/C/G: 232.4/TTT/160

Height: 5'9"

I did this, after my previous weigh in with my coach of 2.2lbs I decided to make the change and do it on my own, my package from Nashua should be arriving this week
accgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

3 lbs seems reasonable if you already had a low carb lifestyle. I also just got back into a new round of dieting and while I was eating more carbs during my break, there was no rapid loss of water weight for me this time. I guess it is because the body adjusts to low carb and can replace most glycogen stores through gluconeogenesis once adapted. So, you do not get rid of all glycogen anymore when you reduce carbs further. I am happy with this, as I exercise to put on muscle and this saves me the waiting period.

As to IP, I think it is fairly simple to follow the information that is out there and to do it alone. You can probably still buy IP products online without going through a clinic (Ebay) and there are plenty of alternative products that are similar to IP and a lot cheaper. Lettuce is optional.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/168/160 Restart/183/179

Height: 5' 9

I was never really happy with the attitude my coach had towards any loss that was not over three pounds. I only stayed with my coach for about a month to get into the swing of things and learn more about the whole process. Then I found this wonderful sight and
all of the information I needed to stick with the program. Now a year after hitting goal I am back on program to lose the 15 pounds I gained back. If you are not happy with your coach just know that this is the best place to find the support you need. I wish you luck in your journey towards better health.
ArmyWife2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #5  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I don't understand why "coaches" feel that it is necessary to do this. Do they get paid a bonus based upon how much people lose or something? You should feel good about any loss. You are not always going to see the same results week after week. It just doesn't work that way. And not everybody is the same. What training, knowledge, experience does this coach have that he/she is telling you these things?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #6  

Nickc33: It sounds like you may have encountered a coach who doesn't understand the low carb lifestyle and the "golden opportunity" for tricking your body (the one Dr Atkins talked about)

One of the reasons many around here "go rogue" and fire their coaches is because of treatment like you received: coaches not being cheerleaders, not being helpful, not having accurate info, and on, and on.

Know that if you choose to "go alone" you will NOT be alone. Just find the alternative threads here (there are many) do your reading so you can learn what to buy, and you'll find your group of folks.

Even those of us still going to coaches are often using a mix of IP products and alternatives (I use Syntrax Nectar, and some items purchased from Nashua Nutrition, including items from ProtiDiet and Weight Loss Systems)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #7  

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I think that I will try this on my own and use the board for the resources, knowledge and support that I need.

On my first visit I told my coach that I have had issues with the sugar alcohols in the past and they have prevented me losing weight, but she told me that it wouldn't be true in this case..so I had a bar a day. I am wondering if at this point, that could be what is holding me back.

I was feeling pretty good when I weighed in this morning, but not so much anymore.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #8  

WE will be your cheerleaders!
You're doing great!
You're down 3 lbs you never have to lose again!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #9  

Thank you so much! I was thinking about raiding my kids snack cabinets..lol but you all give me the motivation to stick with it.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #10  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations on your weight loss I was 100% IP ALL the way to Goal ! Reached goal in amazingly quick time frame!
Awesome Coach and very Supportive . ,I have not seen anyone on the site that has posted faster or better results than I received using IP. IMO , I liked the support of an Awesome Coach ! My Coach completed a Tough Mudder and has a Body that is something to Aspire to ! Michelle Obama arms would be Jealous.

Good Luck ,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #11  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Nickc33: It sounds like you may have encountered a coach who doesn't understand the low carb lifestyle and the "golden opportunity" for tricking your body (the one Dr Atkins talked about)

One of the reasons many around here "go rogue" and fire their coaches is because of treatment like you received: coaches not being cheerleaders, not being helpful, not having accurate info, and on, and on.

Know that if you choose to "go alone" you will NOT be alone. Just find the alternative threads here (there are many) do your reading so you can learn what to buy, and you'll find your group of folks.

Even those of us still going to coaches are often using a mix of IP products and alternatives (I use Syntrax Nectar, and some items purchased from Nashua Nutrition, including items from ProtiDiet and Weight Loss Systems)
What Lisa said! I have been a low-carber for years because of diabetes and only lost 2 lb the first week. I was THRILLED, coach was not. I stayed with the coach about 2 months then eased away, going on my own. I'm happy I did it, and I've got sooooo much support right here whenever I need it. Know that all of us are behind you!
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 133.9/123.3/113

Height: 5'1.5"

You can do it on your own. You can find every question answered on this forum. And you do not need IP food. My boyfriend and I started this diet on the same day. I went to a coach and did almost 100% IP products. He went with all alternatives (proti-diet, balanced protein.) I've lost 18 pounds and he has lost 33. We ate all veggies and meats together. Of course he is a lot bigger than me, and if we figured out percent of weight lost we are probably equal. I wish that I didn't waste my money. But my coaches are nice and even if I lose 0.6 they applaud me. Good luck!
Jen02719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss I was 100% IP ALL the way to Goal ! Reached goal in amazingly quick time frame!
Awesome Coach and very Supportive . ,I have not seen anyone on the site that has posted faster or better results than I received using IP. IMO , I liked the support of an Awesome Coach ! My Coach completed a Tough Mudder and has a Body that is something to Aspire to ! Michelle Obama arms would be Jealous.
We all want your coach!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Jenn, thank you for posting your weigh-ins. Like you, I don't have that much to lose so I will probably lose slowly- but I'm also quite short so a little bit makes a big difference! I have been dreading the day when I lose only 0.6 lbs - and I haven't even had my first WI yet! You've had a few low-ball weeks, but you've done wonderful overall. You've inspired me to try and keep my eye on the picture.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #15  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Yes Lisa she is an Awesome Coach ! And she leads and inspires by example. She went Ziplining with a client who lost alot of weight!
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote