Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/138/125

Height: 5"4

Default Short vacation planned- suggestions on eating out

I've been on Ideal Protein for 8 weeks and it's going very well. I've lost 24lbs so far. But in two weeks, I am going on a three day get away staying at a hotel. I am nervous about sticking to the diet. Any suggestions for restaurant tips, what IP packs to take, etc?
Corkyb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkyb13 View Post
I've been on Ideal Protein for 8 weeks and it's going very well. I've lost 24lbs so far. But in two weeks, I am going on a three day get away staying at a hotel. I am nervous about sticking to the diet. Any suggestions for restaurant tips, what IP packs to take, etc?
Great job so far!

I will bump a traveling thread for you!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #3  

Thank you so much!!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

I ate ceviche allot, also eggs for breakfast, steak for dinner, brought my shakes bars with me
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Maintaining & losing on P1 while traveling- It's what's in your HEAD..Not your mouth!

CorkyB13-
Hi and job well done so far!

The trick for me when traveling is what goes on in my head....It's not what happens at the table...(well it is...but what is in my head takes control of what happens at the table). You have done so well..your commitment to not blowing it should be more important to you than feeling you deserve a "treat". Over the last two months, I've had to travel a lot for some family health issues and recently a family wedding. Budget allowing...eating out is NOT a problem, and actually gives you more control. Egg white omlettes, salads with grilled chicken/shrimp or tuna and a small steak or grilled fish for dinner ain't bad livin'... And you can control portions pretty easily. It's more of a challenge, I find, if you are going to a catered affair or meals at someone's home. It's not impossible though.

Be specific about restaurant preparation...tell them up front, with a big smile, you are high maintenance (!!) and need some TLC... absolutely no sauces, rubs, no SALT or sugar in your preparation. I sent 2 salads back this past weekend at a Ruth's Chis steak house at the hotel we stayed at because they came with croutons and I had specified ..."no croutons". I wasn't going to pay their price for a salad (..and a wimpy one at that) and then need to pick out the darn things after ordering it plain. (The croutons were chopped REAL small...And it would have been quite upsetting for me to have actually ended up eating them accidentally) Don't compromise yourself for someone else's mistake. It can be done politely... Hint: If places don't have white or cider vinegar...and most of the better places don't...ask for olive oil and fresh lemon. Season with lemon, salt and pepper at your plate rather than letting the kitchen do it. I have started to send things back for being over salted ...when I specified no salt. Restaurants way over-salt most of what they serve...hoping to sell drinks.

Be obsessive about drinking your water --- and then some...esp if you are traveling by air. As some have shared, dehydration can make you retain H2O and not be happy with the scale on your return. We actually returned from a long distance plane trip to a wedding over the weekend and I managed to lose 2.5 lbs from Thursday through Monday AM..then showed another 1/2 lb drop this AM...!!! Convinced it was because I planned and ate ahead of time in the restaurant on site...or had my shakes...and did NOT eat any of the food served at any of the events. Also stuck to water and club soda for my beverages...and am a happy camper now as I did not go off the rails. Actually losing a few pounds was an added bonus! My goal was just to stay ON plan.

in early June we will be on a family vacation renting a house on Captiva island in Florida...and I know I might be tempted by the cheese, crackers, wine and margharitas......but I think being able to wear great new clothes on this vacation and being comfortable in a swim suit for the first time in years is going to keep my head where it belongs...Instead I'm going to enjoy the company of everyone and collecting gorgeous shells with my 4 granddaughters. That doesn't sound like deprivation to me.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #6  

Thank you so much for the helpful tips and advice. I am traveling with 4 girlfriends who haven't seen my weight loss yet and I know will be supportive. I just want to be careful not to be persuaded to have a drink or a snack. I haven't cheated yet and I am determined not to. I am planning to bring a cooler and lots of water. But the restaurant tips were very helpful and gives me an idea to prepare myself. Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 303/144.8/145

Height: 5'4"

65's restaurant tips were spot on. You can also take WF dressings and use these as well. The main thing is to read the menu and ask questions.

I found that the RTD's and the restricted items like the bars and crisps were great while traveling, as I never knew when I would be near a kitchen. I also took plenty of chopped up fresh veggies that would travel well.

My family was supportive once they realized that I was serious about this, and they helped by finding places to eat out that offered a healthy menu option.

Good luck, and I have faith that you can be successful in your journey.
Breakofday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Good luck---you'll be fine!

Corky-
You have the right attitude and are already "planning" by asking how the rest of us have fared with travel. In another thread...someone suggested going the gluten free route...which I actually MUST do as I am truly wheat and gluten intolerant. So ... some of what I have been doing for more than a few years now, was helpful for my IP efforts. I can't use any of the bars or prepackaged or RTD items...and am better off getting a salad with protein when I am not able to mix up a drink. Because I have had to speak up to avoid gluten...I was not at all inhibited to refine my needs concerning vinegar and cooking methods and preparation! Honestly...most restaurants including the chains, are becoming quite accustomed to special needs and a lot of places actually have a gluten free menu now. ...if they do you should ask to see it. Due to the pressure the American Dietetic Assoc has put on the industry in regard to allergies and gluten sensitivity...the labeling is also much clearer than in the past and it is not unusual to have a server go to the kitchen and check for sugar or other ingredients you want to avoid.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/156/150

Height: 5'8"

These are great tips! I just got back from going on a weekend getaway and I just changed my one meal of the day to my lunch once in order to eat with everyone else and it was fine. I ate a salad with WF for dinner and had a bag of the IP chips. I wasn't hungry and really enjoyed eating out all weekend. We had crab and blackened fish and lots of stuff I enjoy anyway!

My coach told me something very helpful during my orientation. She said, "Do you think Jennifer Anniston orders off the menu? She asks for what she wants and she gets it, and you should, too!" She convinced me I am a rock star and I deserve to be (my husband would call it difficult, I would call it high-maintenance) at a restaurant to get what I want.

I order out once or twice a week and everyone has always been very accommodating to my "No breading, no sugar, no dairy," mantra.
Good luck!

I will be going to Israel for 10 days soon, and I am hoping to be as successful there with my bars and chips and RTD breakfasts. Losing weight is more important than indulging. The food will always be there.

Good luck!
dana135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #10  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Height: 5'9

The hardest part for me when travelling is always getting enough veggies. The portions at the restaurants are sometimes lacking...so I will bring my own. I cut up at least 2 days' worth (in case there's no fridge in room) and eat them for snacks. And water bottles, I bring a whole case with me. Sometimes the tap water is questionable...
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday2013 View Post
The hardest part for me when travelling is always getting enough veggies. The portions at the restaurants are sometimes lacking...so I will bring my own. I cut up at least 2 days' worth (in case there's no fridge in room) and eat them for snacks. And water bottles, I bring a whole case with me. Sometimes the tap water is questionable...
Agreed on the lacking veggies at restaurants while travelling, unless I can find a spinach salad!
We just flew, where we can't bring as much. I still planned to bring pre-cut veggies and I have a Brita water bottle that can be refilled anywhere & has a filter! I do this b/c of the silly TSA rules
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote