Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #1  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Default Turtle Club #98

Hi, all. Lin, I went ahead and posted the new thread. Feel free to post your wonderful tortoise and hare summary so people will know what we're about.

Speaking of which, look at what I found on the Weight Watchers web site -- http://www.weightwatchers.com/pageut...v=HEALTHY+LIFE It even has a photo of the tortoise and hare! The article is about how slow weight loss is the route that wins in the long run.

My folks leave today after nearly 2 weeks. I have NOT eaten well, have barely exercised. Did not get on the scales today, either, even though it's my usual weigh-in day. Here's the good news: I'm gearing myself back up now to re-join WW. I'm planning to rejoin next Tuesday, one week from today. Between now and then, I'm reading various things to re-psych myself up again. That's how I ran across the tortoise and hare article.

Got to get back to work, just wanted to share that article with you all. It's good.

P.S. Torty -- WOO-HOO! You're doing GREAT!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 06-05-2003, 08:09 PM   #2  

Hi all Turtles!!!!

Lauren- I think the "psyching-up" is great- I have been using little tools like checking the "thought for today" on Oprah.com every morning, reading threads where people are really in gear and motivated, etc. SO much of this is in the mind!!!!

To all the rest- I was REALLY tired- like muscle sore fom working out alot, etc.- so I took it easy yesterday and am 50% today & gearing for 100% tomorrow- sometimes you have to listen to your body. Plus with all the healthy behaviors I have been living the last 3 weeks, my body really wants it and I'm not eating "stupid" stuff etc...

Turtle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2003, 12:32 PM   #3  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

That was a cool article, Lauren. Thanks for sharing. I hope your new WW meeting helps you get back on track and work toward your goals.

It sounds like you're doing well, too, Torty. Congratulations!

I'm stuck in the throes of PMS, but it's really weird. I still am eating a lot less at my meals that I used to. But I've been eating an extra meal due to the PMS thing. However, I'm not eating as much extra as I have in the past. This is so strange, folks.

I stepped on the scale a couple of days ago and it looks like I've lost about 5 pounds since I was sick and my appetite took a nose dive. I'd love to have this keep up because it's so easy. I pick nutritious food and let my body tell me when to stop. I've tried to do this deliberately in the past and it didn't work over the long haul. But this time, something seems to have changed because I cannot make myself eat past a certain point of fullness. If that makes sense. I used to do that if I really liked what I was eating, but not anymore.

Anyway, I'm going to keep doing this for as long as I can. If I notice that I'm starting to eat too much again, I'll change my strategy.

The book is coming along, but more slowly than I'd like. I'm feeling the pressure of the looming deadline. I added a few more supporting cast members, who were badly needed. I've figured out some places where I can twist things a bit more, which was also badly needed. Now, I need to write brief sentences of the scenes I need to add, then I need to combine scenes and cut scenes until it's back to the number I need to hit the word count limit for the finished book. I'm not looking forward to condensing it down to one page, but that will be my next task.

I hope you all are doing well. I hope to hear from some of the lurkers and members who haven't had time to post.

Happy Turtlin'!

Lin
Old 06-14-2003, 01:42 PM   #4  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, tortoises.

Torty, how are the muscles today? Good for you, sticking with the nutritious foods.

Lin, how's the story coming? When's that deadline?

It feels a little weird writing this stuff nearly two weeks after you both last posted. I had no idea it had been that long since I'd last checked in.

I re-joined WW last Tuesday. I was 194.5 in the morning, which is 15.5 higher than my lowest last fall. Time to turn things around! On the WW scales, I was 200.5 (!). It was at the end of the day, and I made sure to wear my shoes on the scales so I'd see a loss next week no matter what. I always do that my first week back.

This time, folks, I'm going all the way to goal. It finally dawned on me that I'm really not that far away -- about 50 pounds. When you've already lost 80, that's not too daunting. I'm feeling that shift within that gears me up for the long haul. I'm going to need it -- we've got FOUR vacations between now and the end of the year. Two are just mini-trips, but I can do a lot of damage (and long-term derailment) in a short trip. The first is next weekend, when we go stay with friends up north on Lake Michigan. I'm going to allow points for scotch (yes, these are the scotch-drinking friends) and be sure to get some kind of exercise in each day.

I've counted my points in my brand new journal. To help motivate me, I bought a pretty new notebook that's covered with a dark blue fabric with yellow lemons all over it. It cheers me up to look at it. I've been within my points every day since Monday.

I'm also doing the imagination thing -- picturing myself walking into the WW office and hitting goal, watching them pull out the balloons, the flowers, the Scottish bagpipe bands, the fireworks ... hey, it's my fantasy, right? They were all very happy to see me return on Tuesday, so I know they'll be thrilled when I finally hit goal.

I've also been people watching, checking other women out in an effort to see what I might look like at goal. I'm focusing on women roughly my age or a little older, with my body type. Every now and then I see someone, and I think "Hey, that's what I might look like at goal." It's helpful to me.

So that's where I am.

Work is nuts, but that's a good thing generally. I'm juggling several clients at once at the moment. And hey, summer finally arrived in Michigan -- it's supposed to get up to 81 degrees today, and the sun is shining. Imagine that!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/194.5/189 by July 31
Old 06-15-2003, 10:38 AM   #5  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, congrats on rejoining WW. You have some challenges ahead, but your life was just as busy when you lost your original 80 pounds. You can do this. You have less left to lose than you've already lost. I predict that you'll be at goal sometime between Christmas and next summer, depending on how much of a turtle your body decides to be.

It's also great to hear that your freelancing is going well. That must make everything easier.

I've been a bit discouraged about the book because I've been afraid I won't make the deadline. Working this way goes against my natural work style. I'm inventing the process as I go along. So it goes, then gets stuck, then it goes again. But, thanks to the writers I know, who have been so patient with my blathering, and so forthcoming with things for me to try, I think I'll have the rest of this plot done today or tomorrow. The rest of the proposal will be much easier.

One of the pro writers I know started an online writing group that's a bit different. She's letting us peek into the process she goes through from the idea to the corrected galleys. She's also mentoring us in an informal way. She put an invitation on her weblog and the group filled up within a few days. The main thing she wanted from the members is a commitment to selling our writing, since the focus of the group is writing, selling, and building a career in the field. Her help has already been invaluable for all of us, as have the questions and comments from the rest of the group.

I've lost some weight. I can wear the jeans I couldn't fit in two months ago. They're a bit tight, but not uncomfortable. So, that's progress. I'm thinking that working on the book has taken a lot of stress out of my life or even just a lot of boredom, both of which can be overeating triggers for me.

So, what's going on with the rest of you? I see so many people reading this thread. I'd sure like to know how you all are doing.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 06-15-2003, 09:19 PM   #6  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Lin, I love that balloons icon. Very cheery.

WTG on the smaller jeans again. That's a motivator. I'm glad the writing has helped reduce stress/boredom. Those are my two key triggers for overeating, too. But then, we were separated at birth.

You can make that deadline. Just think how great you'll feel when you hit it. I'm very impressed with how hard you've been working. And also impressed with the online writing resources you manage to dig up. This latest one sounds great.

I've continued to write down my points. I'm also starting to jot down other thoughts in my food journal. Nothing earth-shaking, and most of it doesn't have anything to do with food. Just thought it would be nice to have a little record of how I've spent a day. Yesterday I was over points; today I'm within them (and madly fighting the urge to eat something tonight! Dang, this is hard sometimes--which is why I'm here right now).

I read a few articles yesteray in various magazines. One was about long-term maintenance of weight loss and what people who are successful at it do. The two main things? Journal what they eat, and exercise. A lot. (60-80 minutes per day. Gack!) I assume you all are familiar with the weight-loss registry that tracks people who are successful at keeping weight off for 5 years or more. Well, that registry has shown that NO ONE has kep their weight off through eating a carb-restricted diet. Not one. I never did think that Atkins, etc. was a sustainable way to live, but there it is in black and white.

It's gorgeous here today. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend and a lovely day, whenever you read this.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 06-16-2003, 09:42 PM   #7  

Hello Turtles- just a quickie here. Lauren sounds like you are in a good mind frame. You ARE close- GO FOR IT!!!!!! 50 pounds is nothing compared to your starting point. Totally with you on the journaling and any props that help. Lin- you stickwith it- asking for help is so hard for me- sounds like you know how and are able to do it with your writing. Go, go, go...!!!! All the rest and all the above- stick with it- (turtle story comin on- careful....)- have had the little guys from Chinatown for 8 months!!! ( note they are Southerners from Louisiana and Mississippi but were acquired in Los Angeles Chinatown) - Sumo has really grown and little Sushi is turtling along. They have a new environment and were SO bold in accepting it. Turtling is NOT synonomous with shyness and lack of progress. It is not automatically cautious or slow- it is just different. Positive vibes to all!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:44 AM   #8  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Torty, thanks for the turtle stories. I love them.

I'm down 3 pounds this week. Love those first weeks back on the program. My hope is to maintain this loss next week. We're going up north tomorrow for a long weekend with those friends I mentioned. I'm planning to eat light breakfasts and lunches, since I know dinners will probably not be so light. I also plan to take some kind of exercise every day. I just printed off directions to the Empire Bluffs Trail, which is a one-hour hike along the dunes of Lake Michigan. The view is supposed to be spectacular.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/191.5/180s by end of July
Old 06-18-2003, 09:11 AM   #9  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Hey, Lauren. That's great about your journaling. Wow! That 60-80 minutes of exercise is probably what keeps most people from their goals. A part of me wishes I had a physical job, though. I'd much rather get that exercise as a part of what else I'm doing than try to carve out that much time in a day. Something to think about, though.

Speaking of exercise, the hike sounds spectacular. I hope you enjoy it.

I love your turtle stories, Torty. They're so motivational. We're finding out that the real turtle (and tortoise) has as much to teach us as the fable. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hanging in there. The book is going fine, so far. A friend suggested something that gave me a sligtly different approach that's really working well. It's helping me to not get so bogged down in details and to keep track of things I've set up and have to weave back in. So I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll get something in on time.

I've been getting some life stresses, though, that are making weight loss difficult. The book helps, but the problem is that I can't solve these problems. I can't even do anything about them. That causes me more stress than anything. I'm trying to keep that in mind and check to make sure I'm actually hungry before I eat anything and to put the right amount on my plate.

Happy Turtlin'!

Lin
Old 06-19-2003, 07:49 PM   #10  

Hello Turtles,

Life stresses......................oooo do not go there!!!!!

Lauren- hey- even if the first few week loss is higher- it is still a real loss- good for you. As for the travel/eating thing- I find keeping a treat for later in the day if all has been pretty good is helpful- like from Starbucks (I know commercial & overpriced but I know the points) - a grande non fat latte over ice- 3points plus can make last hours!!!!!

Lin- focus. focus, focus ( my son is an aspiring b-ball player and I keep repeating that)- you know what to do on your writing - don't let events derail you - we know you are strong!!!! ( I think we are all kinda talking to ourselves here. in terms of encouragement- same boat, lotta same issues, lets conquer)

To all lurkers- join in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and keep on!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:27 AM   #11  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, tortoise beings.

The trip up north was just wonderful. The weather couldn't have been better--crystalline blue skies, sparkling water, highs mostly in the 70s and low 80s, low humidity. It doesn't get better than that here. We took walks every day, either on the beach or along the bluffs I told you about. Good thing, because I was well over points for several days. (I did write them down, though after the fact.) Ah, well. I didn't gain much, which is good. I figure I was within points more days than I was over, which has to help.

Lin, sorry to hear about the personal problems. Those always make focusing on weight loss harder. But there seldom seem to be times when some sort of problems aren't present. I hope you treat yourself kindly during your current difficulties. Did you get those walking shoes yet?

Torty, thanks for the Starbucks suggestion. It's a good one. How're things going for you?

Hope everyone else is doing well and having a good summer. Check in when you can. (Judy? Mousie?)

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/191.5/180s by end of July
Old 06-25-2003, 09:37 AM   #12  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

It's great that your vacation went well, Lauren. How are your WW meetings going?

Torty, it's good to hear from you. I hope things are going well for you, too.

I didn't send the proposal out. I had two stories going--one that fits their style and one to make it about the subject. I tried everything I could think of to make them mesh or to come up with something different, but nothing was working. It's not my style. I need a good guy, a hero(ine), someone I can root for. The funny thing is that once I stepped back and looked at it, I realized that my heroine is actually a contemporary lady who has a totally different story to tell. Later. After I finish the 4 that are in the queue already. As for WOTC, I decided that I'm going to wait a while to give them time to need new writers, then work up and send the one that fits their style. I like that story. It has a different protagonist and he's a lot of fun to work with.

Meanwhile, I'm taking a short break from the writing itself because I was working so intensly. I'm organizing my files and doing some necessary research for the mystery, which is the book I'll be working on next. And I'm doing the same for the fantasy, which needs a whole lot more worldbuilding before I can write it. So, I haven't given up. Just regrouped.

And I got a brand new fountain pen over the weekend. We went to Stanford Shopping Center, which has a great pen store. I found a great German pen that I could afford. And a bunch of ink. They will ship me more ink when I run out and the shipping is not a lot of money. I was wasting a lot of money using the cheap calligraphy pens, which were all I could find here. Long story, but the essence is that the company that makes the calligraphy pens changed their ink cartridge and I could only write a few pages before I had to change it. Their ink cartridges were more expensive than the Waterman's I bought for my new pen. Anyway, the reason this is so important is that I had switched to a good gel pen. And my shoulder was starting to hurt. When I started using my new fountain pen, the pain stopped getting worse and went away. I learned that it makes a huge difference what you write with when you do a lot of writing by hand.

I'm ignoring weight loss efforts this week, sort of. I'm not pigging out, but I'm not trying to eat less or count points or anything. My husband is staying at my mother's. I'm stuck here with just my kitty. It's awful, but I'm surviving, thanks to Smokey and the folks in the Forward Motion chat room. It looks like we get our car and I get my husband back towards the end of the week. We're going to try extra hard to find an apartment in San Jose at the end of the year when our lease here is up. It will probably be an old one bedroom with no storage and no garage and plumbing that plugs up regularly with inadequate electricity (because that's what 90% of the apartments in the area are) and will cost as much as this one does, but we'll manage.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 07-03-2003, 11:54 AM   #13  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, all. No time to post much, obviously (for all of us, looks like). I've had a rocky time OP lately, mostly due to unusual circumstances. On Monday I flew to NYC and back for meetings; ate airport and restaurant food. On Wednesday a dear friend arrived; she loves to cook, and it ain't low fat. So tomorrow (the Fourth) we're having a cookout with my dad (who is also visiting) and brother; she's cooking up a storm for it, and I'm panicking! Well, I'll just make myself write it all down regardless.

Also, it's TOM, so I'm up a pound. This too shall pass!

Hope everyone has a great Fourth. Sorry for the lack of personal response--next time!
Old 07-03-2003, 08:28 PM   #14  

Well all.......OP issues as well. Not food so much as stressing about work and then things just snowball into not sleeping well, not planning, etc. I was really hoping my son would "forget" about the July 4 5K run tomorrow but he wants to go so we are going at 7 am to register and then run at 9- I have not been running so it will be a very tough 45 minutes or so. Plus it has been getting really hot early in the morning. If the run is not happening ( in termsof me running the whole time) I plan to alternate even 5 minutes jog, 5 minutes fast fast walk- just to keep it near 45 minutes (much longer than that and you are not even at the end of the game) Can't legally shoot off fireworks at our house, but we shall see- supposedly some super wealthy guy rented a barge off the beach (1000 yds) which is 13 minutes from us and has a permit to shoot off some major stuff. Plus if there is no fog we can see the fireworks from the Queen Mary (old ocean liner that has a big July 4 thing). With the 5K as the opening of the day I am hoping for renewed resolve to get it together. Happy 4th all.

PS: turtle/tortoise stories:
Had a note on my door the other day asking if I wanted to adopt her son's 2 tortoises (same lady that found ours wandering on her sidewalk several months ago)- of course we said yes. 1 at least appears to be a female (giant hind claws for nesting)- and is SO active. My Tommy was beside himself with lust- trailing her every move the first day they were out in the yard. Even in their containers they are quite active. So we are seeing- adaptability, curiousilty, and "lust" - go Turtles.....
Old 07-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #15  

Just a PS to Lauren (and others facing the special cooking for the 4th issues)- I say "go for it" in terms of tasting but not overindulging. My son has already pointed out our numerous zucchini flowers (which he loves fried)- so we are gonna make the best ones possible with the greatest sauce- I plan on only 1 or 2- BUT I am really going to enjoy them. At least that is the plan. Good luck & happy 4th!
Closed Thread