General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #31  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

I really enjoyed reading this page Hi to the newbs *welcome*

I've been eating a lot of cr*p the past few months, and I've maintained. I LOVE this! Other things have just taken priority, and that's fine. My weight isn't the only thing in my life, and this sense of perspective is one of my favourite things about IE I'm happy to have not got bigger, I still feel good, and now I have my BC (9 days on it and no nasty side effects, in fact I feel even better!!) I don't need to obsess over the number on the scale. So, I've just done my first week of my lifting program and I LOVE it!! While I've not lost any lbs the past few months, that will come. Been focussing on stress reduction, balancing my hormones, heading off the recurring depression... Loads of progress there. I know when I get more full on with the IE again, more weight will come off. Totally loving this ok I want to be smaller and stronger, but I think IE is teaching me patience, in a round-about way.

No idea where I'm going with this post
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I wanted to share another online article by a man named Steve Cooksey who controls his T-2 diabetes with Intermittent Fasting and Primal Lifestyle (Lowcarb). He says there's 2 ways to do it. One way he calls Planned IFasting where you eat 30 grams of carbs a day starting out and no more than 50 grams a day of carbs a day as you adjust to eating this way. You choose how long and how often you want to eat and fast.

The second way (the way I eat) he calls Unplanned IFasing where he says "if you're hungry, eat. If you're not hungry don't eat". Hummm sounds like Intuitive Eating. He says he only eats 2 meals a day Primal Lifesstyle but never really shares in the article I read what his eating window was. However, he did mention having done 24 hr fasts, but I didn't get the feeling he did this on a regular basis. I think he must do shorter fasts more often although most people I've heard of eat within 5 to 8 hr window and fast 16 to 19 hrs. So I assume since he eats more Intuitively that like me, he may eat between a 5/19 ratio and 8/16. Some days I may eat within only a 5 hr window, but I have on rare occasions eaten within a 4 hr because I just wasn't hungry. I've never done a 24 hr, but have done a 22 hr fast because I got so busy that I actually forgot to eat. The nice thing about all this is that it has helped me accomplish IE better because I am actually able to eat the way that is "normal" for me. It finally clicks for me "eat when I'm hungry and don't eat when I don't". Can't really explain how or when it came together for me. Just glad it did.

I was so excited to find another testimony of someone else that has successfully lost weight, improved their health so that their bs, bp and other numbers are normal because of eating this way. The only thing he does stress that it is important that I needed to hear is to be sure to eat plenty of protein and fat before fasting.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycg102 View Post
So I am new to this thread and am curious. I am trying to fix my disordered eating as well as my irrational thinking with food. This IE is interesting to me because I never used to be one to eat breakfast, but in the dieting world....you MUST eat breakfast.!! I have been overweight since I was a kid, yo yo dieting since likely 18 or so. My irrational thinking with food is that I really prefer crap junk food. I feel deprived even if I am not dieting at the time because I want to eat takeout for 3 meals a day sometimes....and not salad and have brownies and cookies on top of that. I need to change my thoughts about food and why I eat. I feel like crap when I eat the carby food, but doesn't stop me. I need to change my way of thinking to fuelling my body in a healthy way and not feel deprived. I think about food constantly, worse since loosing 50 lbs on a low carb diet.....then quickly gaining 20ish due to ridiculous binging. I have always been a bit of a binger, elementary school like grade 5 + I would buy 5 chocolate bars a day and eat them throughout the day along with gummys, hamburgers.....(hid from my parents) I have always eaten a row or 2 of cookies in a sitting.....yes since elementary school.....but since this last restrictive diet (I stuck to it faithfully for 24 weeks no cheating) my binging is way worse. The is the longest I have stuck to anything, with WW I would do it for a week, weigh in then take the night off and eat a lot and get back on the next day. Currently I am doing that same low carb diet trying to lose again what I gained, but in the mean time trying to get a plan in place to try and let go of this disordered eating. I am reading books on binging, I am actually starting on an antidepressant, because I have hit a super low and can't get out.....hoping that will help to level out my head a bit and make this situation of my food issues not seem so grim.

Wow sorry for the long story lol. Just curious about this way of eating, I will look for the book mentioned earlier and see what I find. Thanks everyone, and good luck with all of you!
Kelly I've been right where you are. Although I didn't have a weight problem until my early 20's, I didn't eat like everybody else. I never ate breakfast except on special occasions. I could go out with friends and just have a cold drink while they ate if I didn't want to eat. The way I eat now with IE, is the way I ate growing up and most of the times I've lost weight effortlessly. I first gained weight when I started eating the way the world calls "normal". And that is how I've gained it everytime.

I would suggest going back and reading old Intuitive Eating threads. I hope you will be able to find a way to be at peace with IE if you choose to do it. Took me a while to get it right myself even after knowing it would work. Please feel free to jump in and share and ask questions. Hopefully we can help you find your way. Good luck on your journey.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #34  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Trish - Thank you so much for sharing that information from Steve Cooksey. I have been exploring his website all afternoon. So much to process, and I'm so happy to read every bit of it. Helps remove my doubts about what I'm trying to achieve.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #35  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Default Hello

I would love to join your group of Intuitive Eaters, i'm currently reading the book now and i'm about 45% thru it. I did MRC (Metabolic Research Center) to lose 34 lbs but it was a very low carb low fat diet and I lost 29 1/4", but when I hit maintenance all my cravings came back and we could only eat certain foods. To make a long story short, it's fast but once you're done its hard to maintain. I read The Diet Cure and it's amazing also and is helping me not to diet then I saw a post on Intuitive Eating so that's how I started reading it. I've gained 8lbs trying to maintain thru MRC and seems like all I do is think about foods until I read The Diet Cure. So hopefully I can become a Intuitive Eater also. Thanks for listening.
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #36  
Downloading 10% complete

Hey Skelley

Congrats on getting straight in there with knowing why you're struggling to maintain, and knowing what you want to do about it. I don't have your willpower, I can tell you that! 34lbs on low carb low fat... I'd be a wreck, lol! That's an awesome job you've done with your weight loss! I'm maintaining on IE right now as I'm feeling lazy, it takes me more psychological effort to lose, so I just take losing periods where I can get them

I haven't read The Diet Cure, but from the title it sounds like an inside-out approach rather than an outside-in one. On the day I accepted I CAN'T stick to a meal plan for a day, let alone the rest of my life, I found the right approach. I don't want to be planning my life around food, I think that just gives food way too much power over me! How are you enjoying the book?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #37  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I was talking with a dietician last week about intuitive eating. She really likes it and practices it herself. She asked me if I had noticed I was more hungry some days and less on others. At that time, I hadn't, but I definitely noticed it this week! Yesterday I felt ravenous! Ate all my calories by lunch (I'm still tracking what food I eat, just to stay on top of it), but after that, didn't really feel like eating. I nibbled on some cauliflower and some tuna in the evening. This morning, I woke up genuinely hungry for breakfast. I took my time eating and now I feel satisfied and am ready to go about my day without having to worry about food again.

Last night, I was even feeling superpowered by feeling empty but not hungry. Like I have new strength over food. Freedom!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #38  

I'm glad this thread is busy. Since my TIA a month ago I've had problems and can't post as often. I did lose 4lb last month.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #39  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shiv View Post
Hey Skelley

Congrats on getting straight in there with knowing why you're struggling to maintain, and knowing what you want to do about it. I don't have your willpower, I can tell you that! 34lbs on low carb low fat... I'd be a wreck, lol! That's an awesome job you've done with your weight loss! I'm maintaining on IE right now as I'm feeling lazy, it takes me more psychological effort to lose, so I just take losing periods where I can get them

I haven't read The Diet Cure, but from the title it sounds like an inside-out approach rather than an outside-in one. On the day I accepted I CAN'T stick to a meal plan for a day, let alone the rest of my life, I found the right approach. I don't want to be planning my life around food, I think that just gives food way too much power over me! How are you enjoying the book?
Thank you! The Diet Cure shows you how to get your body back in balance after being on such a roller coaster! I'm loving the Intuitive Eating book, I love the fact that you eat when your hungry, the MRC program you have to eat three meals a day with in a certain time and take supplements and protein drinks and you are limited to what you eat. There are times i'm just not hungry. I'm anxious to get thru the book!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I'm glad this thread is busy. Since my TIA a month ago I've had problems and can't post as often. I did lose 4lb last month.
Carol, glad to hear you've lost 4 lbs, but so sorry about your health issues. My brother had a TIA many years ago (was either in his late 40's or early 50's, not sure which) but fortunately did not have any recurring problems.

Thank you for keeping up with the thread and setting up a new one when necessary. I appreciate your efforts and totally understand why you're not on as often. Hope that you feel better really soon.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #41  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

It took me a while to get through the thread, but I'm glad I'm all caught up!

I haven't had any amazing IE moments lately, lol. The biggest thing is that I was super hungry Monday. I couldn't stop eating! When I thought about it, it made perfect sense. I did a lot of yard work Friday and Saturday, but only ate once Saturday. I wasn't particularly hungry on Sunday so I didn't really eat much then either.

By Monday my body had enough! If I wasn't going to give it enough fuel, it was going to make me. So, I obliged and ate...and ate...and ate
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #42  
Sherry, Senior Member

how do I find previous post for Intuitive Eating? thank you
Old 05-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #43  
Downloading 10% complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
how do I find previous post for Intuitive Eating? thank you
I'd do a search for thread titles in the search box at the top, the threads are always called Intuitive Eating # (then the number). I'd post links but I only post from my phone, and the search feature doesn't work properly on that! It'll always be in this part of the forum, maybe the advanced search would work better for finding the other threads
Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #44  

Search Obsidianbbw. She's on page #1 of Intuitive Eating 16. Find all her posts. On page 34 is the original intuitive eating.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #45  

After you get the first, there is usually a link at the end to the next onel