40-Somethings - 43. 30 pounds. Issues. Buddy Needed.

MadKim
05-19-2013, 04:10 PM
I have finally found a way (I think) to manage my horrible eating habits. Intermittent fasting is my friend. I NEED to drop about 30 pounds to feel good both internally and externally. I am menopausal (or thought I was - just had my first period in SIX years - UGH - going to the Doc to see what is up with that) and have thyroid issues (hashimoto's).

I am hoping to find someone (or more than one someone) that I can have some accountability to and I would happily do the same.

These days I'm all about eating clean and not drinking - I need a kick in the pants workout wise.

Most of my friends have younger children (early teens - mine is early 20's) and at a very different stage of life than I am. I am SO over the going out scene. No one wants to be active. Sigh. (Woe is me). :)

Anyone out there need a friend?

LeeL
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi Kim,
We are the same age and our weight goals are VERY similar. I have 30 to drop also. I am eliminating sugar and junky carbs - eating clean as you say. I think we could help each other. I'm married and my husband and I are finding out relationship is "stale" - this weightloss is part of a plan to improve myself AND resurrect my marriage. Will you help me??

MadKim
05-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Yes!!! I hear ya on the "stale" thing. We are having some issues due to my current lack of self esteem... :( Go figure!!! I'd love to team up!!!! I'm so excited!!! Let's do this!!!!

LeeL
05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Yay! Sorry to hear you too are having self-esteem issues. It seems to come with the territory when being overweight. So how/what do we do? Just post an occasional note to each other? I'm so glad you replied tonight!

MadKim
05-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Sounds good to me!!! Are you going to work out too??? That is what is SUPER hard for me. The eating thing is going well. I'm just not working out at all. Sigh. My plan is this: Intervals on my stationary bike 3x a week and weights (I just have some hand weights) at home, or body weight stuff (squats, lunges, etc.) 3x a week. Walking as extra credit. :) Do you have a plan for food/movement???

LeeL
05-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Super good question. I actually just finished training/running a 5K a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the more I worked out the more I felt I should "treat" myself to good food. I trained for 3 months and stayed exactly the same due to my poor eating habits!!! Soooo now I am focusing on the diet and plan to do a few workouts (3) each week in my living room (DVD's or cable shows) not sure which. My daughter will be out of school so running at the lake is no longer feasible - but I'll definitely move a little bit. What kind of exercise do you like? I'm not into sports - how about you?

MadKim
05-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Wow!! Good for you!! Did you run at all before that?? I can not run at all. My lungs start burning and I just kind of give up.... :( LOL. I do enjoy walking. I just installed "Runkeeper" on my phone and I'm hoping to use that. It's kind of cool - tracks your speed, distance and routes. I really like weights too, but again, it's just getting back in to the swing of it for me! Are you going to keep your running up??? How old is your daughter? I only have one child - a daughter as well - she is 22! She has one semester of college left. She is currently at home for the summer, but only for two weeks. Then she is moving in to her first "official" (not dorm or college attendance related) apartment. Two blocks from us. :)

MadKim
05-20-2013, 07:34 AM
I did it!! I got up and did 20 minutes of intervals on my stationary bike. I make such a big deal of it in my head, but once I actually finish I realize it goes by very quickly. :) How did you do? Did you stay on track food wise??? My weight is still 157 this morning. I actually started at 161 (I should update that on my thing) and have been stuck at 157 for a bit. Do you have any interest in setting a 5 pound goal date??? Maybe 4 weeks from now??? Looking forward to hearing back from you!!!

LeeL
05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
MadKim it's great that you did your bike this morning. I am smiling hearing the news! I did good with my eating last night BUT the scale was up from 161 to 162 this morning, a bit discouraging and not sure why. I'm still in the induction phase with Atkins so I need to re-check my carb count. And YES I'd love to set a 5 lb goal date. I'm trying to lose at 2 lbs per week so for me that would be @ July 5th. What about you?

As far as the running, it took me 3 months to work up to the 5K, just adding a bit each week. I used Couch to 5K and then Nike Running app. I did try this several years ago but quit before I ever made it to the 5K mark.

I don't plan on running until I get the weight off. Frankly it's such a mental drain on me that I'd rather focus on my eating and do less strenuous workouts (yoga, walking for cardio).

That's cool that your daughter is settling near by. My daughter is only 7 and my husband and I are already joking that we'll move near her dorm/appt. when she goes away to school - LOL.

Today is my first day of work after being at home/working part time. I'm praying I don't stress eat at my new office!! Keep me in your thoughts today and I'll do the same for you.

Post and let me know how you are doing with your eating today:)
Lee

MadKim
05-20-2013, 10:22 AM
WOO HOO!! WTG to sticking on plan. You just ignore that scale - it's trying to mess with you, but you are stronger than that!!! I used to do Atkins quite a bit too! It always worked really well for me! Wait, July 5th??? Do you mean June??? I can shoot for 2/lbs. a week!!! I am just so blown away by people running that have never ran. It seems very impossible to me.... I really enjoy yoga too. I should try to get in one class a week. I'm a total beginner at it! Do you go to class or do it at home. I think I have some DVD's.....

Awww! Seven is SUCH a sweet age!!! I miss having a little one around!!

Good luck on your first day!!! How exciting!!! Is this a totally new position? If you do not stress eat today you can do anything!!! New jobs/first days are pretty high anxiety!! I can't wait to hear how it went!!!

I work from home but am on the road a lot (I'm an account rep type person). I go in to a LOT of medical clinics that focus on natural/healthy lifestyles, so there is THAT incentive to stick to everything too....

MadKim
05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Hope you're doing OK down there! Looks like all **** is breaking loose in your area. STAY SAFE!!!

MadKim
05-21-2013, 06:16 AM
156.8 - hope you're OK. :(

LeeL
05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Good Morning MK, You are so sweet to check on me! Yes I am good. Had some friends in OKC that saw some really bad weather though. So, the first day - I did NOT stress eat (not even when they put the chips and dip out at 4 pm)!! And yes I did mean June 5th - so we're on? How did you do on your eating yesterday? I'm doing a bit of yoga this morning too - I am also a beginner but love how good it makes me feel. I hope to do some running next week - it just takes a lot of out of me. I have to push myself mentally as well as physically. But running the 5K was worth it:)

So the job is sort of new. I invest in real estate and I'm going to work for the company where I did my training. I was working from home investing and doing project management work (which I did for AT&T for 10 years). I think this job will further my investing and bring in some extra $. Plus with my daughter being 7 now - she'd rather play with friends after school then have milk & cookies with mom everyday (dang!).

You are lucky to be in a field that involves a healthy lifestyle. Frankly many people in real estate are overworked and have terrible eating/exercise habits. I don't have many good role models - but plan to be one for other people if I can.

Gotta run - time to turn on the Yoga DVD. Have a super day!
p.s. down to 160 this morning

MadKim
05-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Yay!! You made it through the storms! Yay! You didn't stress eat - I am the QUEEN of stress eating!!! :) I did really really good. I'm just on this kick of not eating crap right now - I'm not even interested. It's weird. I'm also not very hungry. I think the intermittent fasting kind of helps with all that. I have a MEGA sweet tooth and I love bread/pasta. Mmmmm, pasta.... :)

Oooo, 7 is tough!!! Just wait until 13, not only does she prefer her friends, but you then become MASSIVELY uncool/dorky and are shunned. ;)

Did you do your yoga? I didn't lift any weights yet -I didn't want to do it this morning while I was fasting, but i'm still hoping to get it in!

MadKim
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
I didn't lift weights. :( I was tired. Not sure why. I have stayed 100% on track with my eating though. It's easier every day. What did you have for dinner last night? Did I mention my husband is a Chef? I blame him for getting me in to this mess.. ;) I was a size 2 when I met him! We had a combo of brown rice/red quinoa and black beans with grilled veggies (we are trying to eat less meat). I think there was red peppers, red onions, portabellas and asparagus on there. Very good! I'm going to have an AMAZING smoothie for lunch today. I got some new protein powder to try - it's all organic-y and rgbh free. I'll put fruit and some soy or almond milk in it. YUM!!! Not sure what we'll have for dinner - we have a leftover chicken breast we need to use, maybe big salads....

LeeL
05-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Hi MK,
Sorry I didn't email yesterday - ROUGH day at the new office. How is your weight loss this morning? (do you weigh in am? I do). I am at 158.5 which is good for me - officially lost 10 pounds ins 3 weeks (very aggressive dieting). No real workout this week for me - between the new job and the diet it's been too hard. Hopefully next week (keep on me:)

So you didn't do weights the other day - how was the workout yesterday? I'll be out of town until Tuesday (going to see family in E. TX) and might not be on - SOOO STAY STRONG - STICK TO YOUR EATING GOALS (CLEAN!) AND TRY TO GET IN SOME LIGHT EXERCISE.

TTYL
Lee

MadKim
05-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Wow!! WTG with the weight loss!!! You are doing GOOD!! I'm 153.6 this morning. Holy crap!! I'm on track for that 10 pounds in 3 weeks too if I keep this up! :) I'm going to Las Vegas on the 19th of next month (for work), I'd LOVE to be in the 140's by then. 147 Would be ideal!!! I am not working out at all. I think we'll have to keep on each other. I'm having this weird chest pain thing going on - not sure if it's heartburn (I've never really had it) or what.... It's brief, intermittent but super intense. Debating on going in since we have the long weekend coming up... Have a safe/fun weekend! You keep it clean too, but don't deprive yourself! Have a bite or two of yummy stuff!! :)

mothermavis
05-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Can I join in with you ladies?
I am 46 (47 in less than 2 weeks) :D Need to drop closer to 40 pounds, but 30 would put me in a great place! I have 2 older kids. 25 & 22. 2 super stressful jobs and 46 years of emotional baggage. Stress makes me fat and unhappy & I need to cope with something other than food. I was looking for an active board for moral support and while it is only the 2 of you so far, it looks like you are both dedicated and I need to be too!

MadKim
05-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Welcome MotherMavis!!! :) Super excited to have you join us!! I love the quote in your siggy! :) I hear ya on the stressful job thing! I just changed careers (same company) and am now out in the field. It's exciting (and more $$$) but it's also quite stressful - I'm not really doing sales, more of a liaison position, but there are a lot of unknowns.... Do you have boys or girls (or both)? I have one 22 year old daughter who is home for one more week before her final (hopefully) move OUT! :) LOve her, but ready for some no kid time with my husband! Do you have any plans for how you are going to achieve your weight loss goals???

mothermavis
05-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks Kim! I so appreciate the welcome!

I have both boys. One started in his career, but all the way across the country, the other is home for the summer, just graduated college and going back in the fall to start his Masters. The time when they are gone is tough at first, but you do adjust.

As for getting there, I plan to go back to low carb & exercise!! I walked about 2 miles this morning and have been working on a Couch to 10k program. I will start week 3 tomorrow, so I am not far into it. I've started a few times, but this is the last time! I also need to incorporate some weights but I struggle with that.

I am headed over to Pintrest right now to find some low carb recipes and try to plan my recipes for the week. I have a bad habit of doing well all day and then blowing it in the evening because I am too exhausted to stay on plan and end up eating crap or ordering pizza.

I was reading thru both your posts and I have to say, so guilty of the eating too much because I worked out that day!

I think I am going to journal/blog more this time too. Maybe Fitday for food and blog for emotions (can't get to the blog until I get home, but I have fitday on my phone, so I think I can track my food better there!)

MadKim
05-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Good for you with the walking MM!!! I NEED to get motivated and start doing something!!!

How did everyone do over the weekend?? I am at 154. Pretty much maintained and I am good with that! Looking forward to hearing how you guys did!! :)

LeeL
05-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Hey MK,
How was your weekend? Mine (eating wise) was awful!!!! I ate everything under the sun and totally undid my work from last week. Starting off frustrated! Hope you did better. Shooting for a GREAT week this week!

mothermavis
05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Last day of work before vacation! Yay!
Challenge myself to stay mostly on plan for the vacation.
Should be fine, I love seafood, just stick to broiled, no sauces!

Exercise is not an issue, I walk the beach for hours while I am at the ocean.

LeeL
05-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Hello and welcome to our small group:) I just started a new job last week time has been spare. I hope you ladies are doing well. I'm struggling with the weight I put on over the holiday - total binge. I know better - just wish I could behave better! :(

LeeL
05-29-2013, 09:29 AM
I see where you maintained over the weekend - YOU ROCK! Nice job:)

MadKim
05-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Oh Leel! I'm sorry - now KNOCK THAT OFF, LOL! :) I'm stuck bouncing around at 154 to 155. I've been off my thyroid meds for a couple weeks too and I'm sure that is wreaking havoc. My eating has been really good. That seems pretty easy for me to stick to. I'm going to go pick them up later this afternoon...

MadKim
05-29-2013, 03:28 PM
MM - Have a WONDERFUL vacation!!!! :) Stay on track and come back with exciting tales of relaxation for us!!!!

Sum38
05-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I just saw this. I did not realize that you were as well in your 40's. You should join some of our challenges!! We have a very nice group of 40 somethings and we keep each other accountable. Pop in any time; no need to worry about not starting the challenge at the beginning.

See you tomorrow morning at the weigh in :)

MadKim
05-30-2013, 06:16 AM
LOL, do I HAVE to be WELL in to my 40's?? I prefer to think I'm dabbling..... ;)

Sum38
05-30-2013, 06:22 AM
LMAO!!! Punctuation error there; hehe! You, as well (as I), are in your 40's, I meant :D -- You are a baby; I am well into my 40's (45) :lol:

MadKim
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes, you are WAAAYYYY older!! I'm only 43 and 3/4!! ;) LOL!!!

I'm SO bummed out. I had my cholesterol done yesterday and I was feeling really cocky since we've been eating so well. We cut out red meat almost entirely (my Mom was dx'd with stage three colon cancer this year, my Dad's mom passed away from it and I have ulcerative colitis, so i'm high risk for that). For the last three weeks we've been eating very little meat all around. I seldom eat any fried foods. I guess I was expecting them to be WAY better....

CHOLESTEROL 210 (now AWFUL I guess, but I want it LOWER)
TRIGLYCERIDE 103
HDL 54 (Not bad at all but I think I can do better.
LDL CALCULATED 135 (???!!!! YUCK - what's up with that??)
NON-HDL CHOL 156
CHOL/DHL RATIO 4

I guess I've come to the conclusion I need to try to get some more soluble fiber in there AND lose some of this weight. Granted, i'm not THAT overweight, but I know i need to lose a good twenty pounds. I think I'll try to drop 15 and have it rechecked....

NOTE - My doctor was not at all concerned about any of this.

MadKim
05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
You guys are TOO quiet! :) How did yesterday go?? I'm still at 154.4 Grrr.... LOL! I'm thinking about dumping the intermittent fasting and going back to my Herbalife Shakes... Well using those up, I love them but they are not the most convenient. I had SUPER good luck using them, but I picked up some Tera's Whey which is local (although I think it's gone national now) and available down the street at the coop.... Anxious to hear how you guys are doing! :)

LeeL
06-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey Ladies, well it's been a rough week. I got a few of the lbs off from last weekend but I'm still UP!! And so annoyed with myself!! I am adding exercise next week - I have to do something! Kim I am glad to hear your eating has been good. How about exercise?

Oh Leel! I'm sorry - now KNOCK THAT OFF, LOL! :) I'm stuck bouncing around at 154 to 155. I've been off my thyroid meds for a couple weeks too and I'm sure that is wreaking havoc. My eating has been really good. That seems pretty easy for me to stick to. I'm going to go pick them up later this afternoon...

MadKim
06-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Still no exercising. Sigh. I'm down to 152.4 though. I can see the 140's through the trees.... :) How are you doing this week???

LeeL
06-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Guys,
I'm doing AWFUL! I officially fell off the diet wagon several days ago and have gained several pounds back. The stress of the new job is killing me. I'm also sick to death of Atkins....I want my carbs back! Not sure what I'll do now but I need to pull back on the eating. I'm to do my work out video NOW and try to start this day off on a better note. Kim I see you too are frustrated - hang in there. Maybe try a new method if the fasting is getting old. Just don't give up!!!

MadKim
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Ugh!! I was a little worried when we didn't hear from you for a while LeeL! :( I've never been able to stick to Atkins. Worked great in the beginning for me but I've come to the conclusion I like carbs and it's OK to eat them once in a while. Note, that is just MY strategy. I also try to steer (as close as is realistic to) 100% clear of processed carbs...

Oh, and i've dumped the fasting. I've dropped 3+ pounds since. I'm doing an Herbalife shake in the morning w/soy milk, fruit and flax added), hb eggs as a snack; lunch varies, somtimes it's a greek yogurt and cottage cheese, yesterday it was an organic skinny burrito from Costco (love those). Dinner also varies, but pasta (whole grain) has been in there. We've also been going to Chipotle a lot. LOVE the burrito bowls (chicken and brown rice) or if I'm feeling like I indulged too much recently I'll do a chicken salad bowl...

Get back on that horse! A couple of days of being derailed is not failure. This is something I think we have to learn. We can indulge now and then but need to get back on track and curb those bad habits!

FWIW I am having some (potentially serious) medical issues and I had some stress eating too (Culvers on Monday to include a turtle sundae - also ate pretty bad throughout the weekend). I am still losing through it because I caught myslef and made some corrections. I WILL learn how to balance this all out! I know you can too LeeL!!

LeeL
06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
MK thanks so much for the words of encouragement. You made me smile this morning! I'm so happy to hear that you are losing and thanks for sharing your menu. Sometimes it helps to try something different. I think that's where I am at. And yes although I'm allowing carbs back in but also being super careful to avoid processed food & sugar. Today will be my 3rd exercise day this week so I am happy for that too. Just wish I could see the scale move!! BTW your cheat at Culvers sounds awesome - that is a wonderful place to break a diet:) I hope this coming weekend goes well for you - I have 2 birthday parties w/dinner so I know I'm going to need super human strength:)

thnknthin1
06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm a 40-something (43 to be exact)....but have more to lose than you gals :) Been out of town this week and didn't do well diet-wise. Back on the bandwagon this morning!

Happy Friday all!

MadKim
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Moderation Leel - we just have to remember that. We will be at our goal weights soon and that is what we have to keep in check!! :) I need to follow YOUR lead with all the exercise!!! WTG on that! Sounds like we balance each other out well that way - let's learn from one another!!!

Happy Friday to you Thnkthin!! Glad you popped in!! OMGosh!! You've lost 100 pounds??!! WOW!! What an accomplishment!!! Out of town trips are tough - I'll be in Vegas next week for work (Venetian) - hopefully I will be able to keep on track! For me the key will be planning. Already trying to find some healthy options nearby and looking at menus! :)

thnknthin1
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks MadKim! Oh I love Vegas, I'm jealous :) I've stayed at the Venetian, nice place! With all those buffets there is so much good food around, I'd have to splurge a little. I always love all the fresh fruit available....and seafood ;)

ETA: I live in the Midwest as well!

MadKim
06-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Your not in WI are you??? :) I wish I liked seafood, but I've never developed a taste for it. I keep trying too. There are so many really healthy options. LOVE fruit (and veggies) though!! I've never been to Vegas as an adult! I'm excited, but I'll be on my own so it will be low key! LOL!

thnknthin1
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Not in Wisconsin but not too far, I'm in southwestern IL! I haven't been to Vegas in about two years and I'm sure it's changed since I've been....wait till you see it, you won't recognize it :)

MadKim
06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Nice! I get to the Chicago area frequently (I'm in Madison), but not s. Illinois too often! :) I'm looking forward to going, more for the people watching aspect than anything else!!

thnknthin1
06-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes, the people watching is worth the trip all by itself. ;)

LeeL
06-18-2013, 10:56 PM
ThnkThin1 - I'm so impressed with your loss! Thanks for sharing and chiming in!

MK - stay strong in Vegas, but try to have a good time. It's such a fun city!

As for me, coming off the ultra low carb diet has caused me to go up in weight. I'm trying to refocus myself on calories and balance. I'm sure I'll eventually get there. Thanks for all of the words of encouragement MK.