Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #1  
Traceur Back In Action

S/C/G: 218/213/150

Height: 5'8

Question New to 3FC: Am I alone?

Hey guys, I'm Skyler (Skye) and I guess I'm pretty new here. Never been on a diet before now and never needed to be until recently.
An injury has kept me very limited for the last year and it has only been recently that I've been allowed to start training again. Since I am not
familiar to anything in the world of diet and nutrition I thought I'd look here for help so...any information regarding topics I post is greatly
appreciated!

So my situation first...as I said. I used to train hardcore for Parkour in the woods. Slipped off a branch one day and it did a number on my body,
and that was the end of it. I've been recovered with a few problems but nothing that should stop me from training. In fact, I suspect half my
problems are attributed to my weight gain. I was always 155ish at this time last year and never had issues. Then my injury came and I stopped
being active entirely and my poor nutrition took effect. Right now I am 213 (starting drinking more water and walking and lost almost 10lbs). But
I really need to get down in weight before I can train for Parkour again.

I'm working my way up into running and my summer job (painting houses) will keep me plenty active. I guess where I need help most is nutrition. I
cannot cook so any diet/food recommendations for best fat burn/fulfillment would be great. Also, any exercises that help burn fat aside from running
would be fine too. I'm open to any suggestions here. I'm 19 y.o. female, 5'8, currently 213 looking to get down to 150ish. Losing
fat and building some muscle in the process. No previous dieting or any medical problems that I'm aware of (except headaches/chest restriction
that my doc attributes to my weight). I'd like to get this weight off asap (at least 40lbs in the next 3 mo. if possible). Its ambitious but I want
to train again and I'm off to college then too so I need confidence. I'm committed to a lifestyle change if people can tell me how as I'm sure once
I lose it I can keep it off because of my age and training. Yet I still wonder, is this possible? Am I on the right track?

Kinda long...but didn't want to miss anything. Again, any advice in any area is appreciated. I'm willing to help out anyone in any way I can too. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kurama; 05-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Kurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

I do the Sonoma Diet Wave 2 for breakfast and lunch and Paleo for dinner. But I would for one week eat what you have normally eaten and write it down. I found that is the best way to discover your weaknesses. For example I found out out that I seemed to lose more control with pasta than with rice. So, I allowed rice in my diet but avoid having pasta in my house. Same goes for ice cream but I have a few pieces of dark chocolate for a dessert.

I think successful people use a diet that they know they control themselves with. I have friends who did Atkins but it didn't work because they ate so much cheese because that was their weakness that they didn't lose weight the way they were suppose to.

I thought Paleo (no grains, dairy and limited fruit) was great for quicker weight loss but I do recommend keeping lentils or another bean in your diet for easy fiber.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #3  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

We share one thing in common. I too am a useless cook...the only reason I have a kitchen is because it came with the house. So, my diet is pretty straightforward. It was recommended to me by my son, who's a personal trainer. So far, I've lost 17 lbs in 10 weeks. That might seem slow to you, but I'm 55 (post menopause) and when you get to be my age, the weight is glued on tight. Plus, even though I exercise, I can't do so at the same rate as someone younger. You will lose much more quickly than I have....although 40 lbs in 3 months might be a stretch. Two lbs per week is a desirable rate and one that will avoid you losing too much muscle, although you will likely lose a bit more quickly in the first month.

My diet has the following principles: (1) I eat every 3-4 hours...small meals at breakfast, lunch and supper, plus one mid-afternoon snack, with no eating after 7pm. (2) I eat a high-quality protein source at each meal (i.e., fish, poultry, pork, lean beef, eggs, cheese or whey protein). I just add a bit of seasoning to any meats and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. (3) I also eat lots of low-starch vegetables, which includes pretty well anything except corn, peas or potatoes, although some of the better veggies include brocolli, cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes, asparagus, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and turnip. I have the veggies either raw (in a salad) or steamed with a bit of pepper. (4) My mid-afternoon snack consists of one of the following: Greek yoghurt (low cal, high protein), fresh fruit, protein bar or protein shake. (5) I avoid carbs, especially things containing starch/sugar, such as bread, baked goods, rice, pasta, etc.

As for good exercise, I suggest: (1) weight training/lifting, which will help to burn additional calories even when you're resting, plus (2) some form of cardio...whatever you enjoy, such as swimming, biking, walking, dancing, mini exercise trampoline. I do 30 minutes of weights each day (upper body one day, lower body on the alternate day), plus about 1 - 1.5 hours of cardio (walking, biking and swimming).

Hope some of this helps. I wish you luck!

Last edited by Tuscany; 05-18-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

What really saved me in the cooking department was a rice cooker. I can cook my brown rice, spinach and steam cook a piece of salmon for one in a rice cooker!

I also cook lentils and can make a variety of chilis, soups, etc. in it!
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote