Weight Loss Support - Airplane Seats

View Full Version : Airplane Seats

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I might have to book a short trip soon and am freaking out about flying, even though I'm easily 100lbs lighter this around.

I just googled about airline seatbelt lengths and have a stupid question. To compare my width to the seatbelt widths I'd just have to measure essentially across my waist/thighs at their widest?

I get very anxious flying anyways but the last time I flat out lied to the flight attendant when she asked if my seatbelt was fastened (it wasn't, I tucked it up in my sweatshirt). And of course it's Southwest that we'll be flying again and you know how friendly they are to large flyers!

I was going to buy a seatbelt extender just in case but I read that Southwest has a different closure than all the other airlines so they won't work. (Someone said it's so you have to ask and bring attention to the extender request.)

I try to be a polite flyer and always take the window seat and let my thin husband sit in the middle as he won't touch the other passenger (did I mention yet that my husband is amazing?). I practically hug the window and try not to encroach on him either (or I disguise it as snuggling!).

I wish I could go to the airport and sit in an airplane seat. You know how they have the racks to measure the carry-ons? I need one of those for people.

HELLO ANXIETY.

nationalparker
05-17-2013, 04:03 PM
You'll be fine at your height/weight. No worries at all. Drop that from your mind right now. Look forward to your trip and don't waste another minuto on this :)

lunarsongbird
05-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Friend,

I would be SHOCKED if you needed a seatbelt extender. Look down at your ticker... I think you forgot where you are. (I'd actually be relatively surprised if anyone less then 200 pounds needed an extender.)
I flew last month in the two-teens and was shocked how "roomy" the seats were compared to last time I was on a plane.

I was actually able to put the arm rest down without crushing myself. Huzzah.
I'm flying again in about 10 days. I'm going to Seattle.

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it! at 405 pounds I needed one, but just barely. You'll be fine!

Alaskagirl92128
05-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I always freak out before flying. You will definitely be fine! I just flew and was able to buckle the seatbelt. You can buy a seat belt extender that will be compatible for southwest flights just google it! Good luck!

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks all! I'm just petrified.

And lunar, I need a detailed report of your seatbelt experience!

I'm so afraid I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. It's like my brain instantly goes to the negative stuff.

I should be celebrating that I will easily be able to walk from the terminal to baggage claim without having to need a few breaks here and there to catch my breath.

And maybe I can put the tray down this time? Between my knees and my stomach last time, I just used my husband's to hold my drink. I pretended I didn't want to put it down. Imagine if I ever told him these things? I thank my lucky stars for you all. :hug:

bethFromDayton
05-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I agree with those who said you'd be fine. I'm shorter than you are and at 235, the seatbelt was totally extended--but I didn't need an extender. (And I flew on lots of different airlines at that weight)

At our current weight (since we're weight-twins), I'm expecting flying to be easy. I have two trips this summer and I know I'll be a lot more comfortable being ([projected] by then) 40 lbs thinner (and 50 for the second trip).

You will be amazed at how much more comfortable your hips will be. That will leave you plenty of time to realize you have no leg room.

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks all! I'm just petrified.

And lunar, I need a detailed report of your seatbelt experience!

I'm so afraid I'm going to be like this for the rest of my life. It's like my brain instantly goes to the negative stuff.

I should be celebrating that I will easily be able to walk from the terminal to baggage claim without having to need a few breaks here and there to catch my breath.

And maybe I can put the tray down this time? Between my knees and my stomach last time, I just used my husband's to hold my drink. I pretended I didn't want to put it down. Imagine if I ever told him these things? I thank my lucky stars for you all. :hug:

Sometimes its hard to realize how much smaller we are when we lose a lot of weight. Every once in a while when I put on my jeans, shorts, etc. I look at the size of them and think to myself "how the heck am I going to fit into these?... They are too small!" I'm so used to having to wear big sizes, than the size I'm currently wearing seems really small. But, alas, they fit me! I think your phobia over the seat belt is kinda like this.

IanG
05-17-2013, 04:21 PM
OMG. It fit when I was 281lbs....just.

Now I am 217...ish (exact unknown due to scale missing in action) I am reeling in the slack.

At your new size, you are gonna have so much slack on the belt it will be flapping around in the wind.

They might need to get a child seat out for you because you are too small.

The biggest problem, if I am honest Elvis, will be to avoid the food offered on the flight. Just skip it. Say no. The attendants will look at you like you are crazy and, in my case, even came back and asked if I was really really sure. But I was sure. No thank you sir-eee especially for a short flight.

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I agree with those who said you'd be fine. I'm shorter than you are and at 235, the seatbelt was totally extended--but I didn't need an extender. (And I flew on lots of different airlines at that weight)

At our current weight (since we're weight-twins), I'm expecting flying to be easy. I have two trips this summer and I know I'll be a lot more comfortable being ([projected] by then) 40 lbs thinner (and 50 for the second trip).

You will be amazed at how much more comfortable your hips will be. That will leave you plenty of time to realize you have no leg room.

There is no one that I'd rather be weight twins with!! LMAO @ no leg room. I can't wait. I had none before anyways but no one ever does. I just want to be able to reach under the seat for my carryon instead of asking my husband to always get it for me. (This could be a huge NSV trip I think...)

BTW, I stopped in the 2-teens thread and put a shout out that we are looking for more people in the 190s thread!

Sometimes its hard to realize how much smaller we are when we lose a lot of weight. Every once in a while when I put on my jeans, shorts, etc. I look at the size of them and think to myself "how the heck am I going to fit into these?... They are too small!" I'm so used to having to wear big sizes, than the size I'm currently wearing seems really small. But, alas, they fit me! I think your phobia over the seat belt is kinda like this.

I think you are right. I can't see myself as smaller even though my clothes are smaller, my bath towels fit now (!!), all kinds of tangible measurements but this one is just freakin' me out.

Now I am 217...ish (exact unknown due to scale missing in action) I am reeling in the slack.

At your new size, you are gonna have so much slack on the belt it will be flapping around in the wind.

They might need to get a child seat out for you because you are too small.

:rofl: You are so funny, Ian. I'll never need a child seat or have a flapping seatbelt but the thought is nice!!

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:30 PM
You know... Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that Southwest was implementing a new policy in which it was changing the size of their seat belts to a smaller size to only accommodate passengers who weigh less than 195 pounds. :P

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:30 PM
The biggest problem, if I am honest Elvis, will be to avoid the food offered on the flight. Just skip it. Say no. The attendants will look at you like you are crazy and, in my case, even came back and asked if I was really really sure. But I was sure. No thank you sir-eee especially for a short flight.

I had posted before I saw this.

You are right, I will say no. Usually it's just snacky stuff anyways on a 5 hour flight but I plan on staying on my food track as best as possible. If I can make it through holidays with family pressure, I can surely stay on plan on vacation (vacation for me, business for the husband). And I keep thinking about you and your travel scale and how you rocked your 2 weeks away and "I want to be just like Ian". (Maybe I need a tshirt that says that LOL!)

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
You know... Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that Southwest was implementing a new policy in which it was changing the size of their seat belts to a smaller size to only accommodate passengers who weigh less than 195 pounds. :P

ARE YOU CRAZY!??!? You know the stress I go under trying to get to goals like 199!! Now I have to stress out for 195?!?! OMG. And I was doing so well this week, you just threw my progress out the window!

ChickieBoom
There is no way that you won't fit in that seat Elvis! You are going to be swimming in all the extra room.

joefla70
I had posted before I saw this.

You are right, I will say no. Usually it's just snacky stuff anyways on a 5 hour flight but I plan on staying on my food track as best as possible. If I can make it through holidays with family pressure, I can surely stay on plan on vacation (vacation for me, business for the husband). And I keep thinking about you and your travel scale and how you rocked your 2 weeks away and "I want to be just like Ian". (Maybe I need a tshirt that says that LOL!)

I haven't flown in a while. Its weird to hear that they only have snacky stuff on 5 hour flights these days. I remember when they would bring you a full (small) meal on a plane, with real silverware. Now you're lucky to get a bag of peanuts!

IanG
05-17-2013, 04:36 PM
195? In America? No way Jose!

And travel scales rule Elvis. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. Shame it went walkies.

They may not show the same reading as your main scale though. So before using it, use both to identify any differences.

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:37 PM
According to SouthWest Airlines' "Customer of Size" policy, I think the only thing that matters is how wide a passenger's butt is!

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

nitrus29
05-17-2013, 04:41 PM

OMG I know exactly what you mean!! It happened to me too!! The last time I flew out, I was so scared that my bf would notice my seat belt wouldn't fasten :o (we had just started dating and went on a group outing) It was mortifying trying to squeeze myself into the seat and getting the clasp to fasten. Onward journey it did, return flight it didn't. I grabbed onto my hand bag the whole flight so no one could see that the seat belt wasn't fastened :( I chose the window seat too and tried not to pour onto my skinny bf's seat. (The only saving grace was my bf lifted the hand rest in between us cos he wanted to hold hands n sit snuggled up)

I have always noticed heavy folks around me on planes and maybe it's my observation but the men (even if they are heavy) don't have much trouble fastening their seat belts because they don't have hips as wide as women !! At the most they have big bellies !!

Elvis - looking at your current weight, I don't think you have anything to worry about!!

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:45 PM
There is no way that you won't fit in that seat Elvis! You are going to be swimming in all the extra room.

You are so sweet, chickie! But I don't know about swimming! (btw, I think of you every M/W/F when I do my c25k runs. You inspired me so much when you spoke about yours and how Mondays are your best run days. Thank you for that. :hug: )

I haven't flown in a while. Its weird to hear that they only have snacky stuff on 5 hour flights these days. I remember when they would bring you a full (small) meal on a plane, with real silverware. Now you're lucky to get a bag of peanuts!

Now you are just showing you are OLD! But you mustn't be near my mom's age (lol) as she talks about how they'd get all dressed up when they flew years ago.

195? In America? No way Jose!

And travel scales rule Elvis. Best 20 bucks I ever spent. Shame it went walkies.

They may not show the same reading as your main scale though. So before using it, use both to identify any differences.

OMG Ian, I can't get into weighing on vacation...or could I! But I'd keep in my purse, I'd go out of my mind if I lost it like you did.

According to SouthWest Airlines' "Customer of Size" policy, I think the only thing that matters is how wide a passenger's butt is!

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

My husband just got home from work, do I dare bend over and ask him to get the ruler? It might not go the way I planned (for him to measure my butt, of course)!!

You guys made me feel 1000% better, I am laughing so hard right now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Arctic Mama
05-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Sweetie, I'm four inches shorter than you, and at my high weight I was a size 24 or so on the bottom, and a 2-3x on top. I STILL never needed a seatbelt extender. At 191 I actually had to take up slack in the belt and tighten it down, and again, I'm shorter than you. Unless you're incredibly, inexplicably bottom heavy I can't imagine it will be an issue. Don't have anxiety over something that is so incredibly unlikely to be a problem. It's borrowing trouble you don't need :)

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Elvis - looking at your current weight, I don't think you have anything to worry about!!

I hope you are right!! I have no concept of size comparison at all.

CherryPie99
05-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I also think that you will be fine, but I had to laugh at your past experiences. I was SURE that I was the only one in the world that "HID" the seatbelt so the attendants couldn't see that it wasn't buckled. I got caught by a very mad male flight attendant who yelled at and humiliated me.

I always asked for a AISLE seat because then I could lift the arm and let half of my fat butt hang into the aisle.

The last time I flew I was much thinner, had a window seat, crossed my legs and used the tray in front of me, PLUS I had a homeland security agent checking my license congratulate me on my weight loss. It was ALMOST enough to not hate flying LOL

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Sweetie, I'm four inches shorter than you, and at my high weight I was a size 24 or so on the bottom, and a 2-3x on top. I STILL never needed a seatbelt extender. At 191 I actually had to take up slack in the belt and tighten it down, and again, I'm shorter than you. Unless you're incredibly, inexplicably bottom heavy I can't imagine it will be an issue. Don't have anxiety over something that is so incredibly unlikely to be a problem. It's borrowing trouble you don't need :)

LOL Arctic Mama, I'm the queen of borrowing trouble I don't need! But you know that already!!

I'm bottom heavy, top heavy, middle heavy. :lol: I feel better after this thread but I just wish I could go for a test drive!! Plus I should be a few pounds lighter as the trip isn't for a couple of months. But still, it was the first thing I thought of when he mentioned an airplane flight!

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:50 PM
You are so sweet, chickie! But I don't know about swimming! (btw, I think of you every M/W/F when I do my c25k runs. You inspired me so much when you spoke about yours and how Mondays are your best run days. Thank you for that. :hug: )

Now you are just showing you are OLD! But you mustn't be near my mom's age (lol) as she talks about how they'd get all dressed up when they flew years ago.

OMG Ian, I can't get into weighing on vacation...or could I! But I'd keep in my purse, I'd go out of my mind if I lost it like you did.

My husband just got home from work, do I dare bend over and ask him to get the ruler? It might not go the way I planned (for him to measure my butt, of course)!!

You guys made me feel 1000% better, I am laughing so hard right now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're not THAT much younger than me, Elvis. (For a while, before I knew that Elvis was your dog's name, I thought you were an elderly woman who was a fan of Elvis Presley!)

As far as what you do when you're husband gets home.... you have a dirty mind, Elvis!

IanG
05-17-2013, 04:51 PM

I am a daily weigher so it did matter to me. Now it's lost, it don't really matter no more. So you go Elvis, and have a good time!

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:53 PM
I also think that you will be fine, but I had to laugh at your past experiences. I was SURE that I was the only one in the world that "HID" the seatbelt so the attendants couldn't see that it wasn't buckled. I got caught by a very mad male flight attendant who yelled at and humiliated me.

I always asked for a AISLE seat because then I could lift the arm and let half of my fat butt hang into the aisle.

The last time I flew I was much thinner, had a window seat, crossed my legs and used the tray in front of me, PLUS I had a homeland security agent checking my license congratulate me on my weight loss. It was ALMOST enough to not hate flying LOL

I'd die if I got humiliated, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm an overly emotional person anyway but to have that happen, I'd probably be taken out on a stretcher having an emotional breakdown. :(

Southwest doesn't let you reserve seats, it's first come first served based on your flight check-in time. It's a pain in the neck but they are cheapest and have one of the only direct flights we can take.

Awesome on the congratulations from Homeland Security! I get pulled out of line for the "random" search every single time I fly. The full body scan must have been a delight for them to review when I was over 300lbs...I have a feeling it has to do with me wearing my anxiety on my face every time I pass through these international airports!

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:55 PM
This is from the Southwest "Customer of Size" FAQ page:

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=extra_seat_policy

If I need a seatbelt extension, do I need to have a second seat?

Our policy does not focus on weight, and the seatbelt extension is not the determining factor. We use the ability to lower the armrests as the gauge, as the armrests are truly the definitive boundary between each seat. Only one seatbelt extension may be used and only seatbelt extensions provided by Southwest Airlines are approved for use onboard our aircraft.

I don't know if you can go there and test out a seat, however:

What can I expect at the airport if I am a Customer of size?

Customers of size who purchase one or more seats in advance may check in online or through an E-Ticket Check-in kiosk1 to reserve their boarding positions, but they must see a Customer Service Agent at the gate to receive a Seat Reserved Document. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:55 PM
You're not THAT much younger than me, Elvis. (For a while, before I knew that Elvis was your dog's name, I thought you were an elderly woman who was a fan of Elvis Presley!)

As far as what you do when you're husband gets home.... you have a dirty mind, Elvis!

I know Joe, I was just joking!!! LMAO @ elderly!

It's not a dirty mind, it's mere baby planning!! With rulers and seatbelts LMAO.

I am a daily weigher so it did matter to me. Now it's lost, it don't really matter no more. So you go Elvis, and have a good time!

Thanks Ian. It's not for a couple of months but I have a way of worrying so far ahead of time!

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 04:57 PM
This is from the Southwest "Customer of Size" FAQ page:

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=extra_seat_policy

If I need a seatbelt extension, do I need to have a second seat?

Our policy does not focus on weight, and the seatbelt extension is not the determining factor. We use the ability to lower the armrests as the gauge, as the armrests are truly the definitive boundary between each seat. Only one seatbelt extension may be used and only seatbelt extensions provided by Southwest Airlines are approved for use onboard our aircraft.

I don't know if you can go there and test out a seat, however:

What can I expect at the airport if I am a Customer of size?

Customers of size who purchase one or more seats in advance may check in online or through an E-Ticket Check-in kiosk1 to reserve their boarding positions, but they must see a Customer Service Agent at the gate to receive a Seat Reserved Document. Customers of size who prefer not to purchase an additional seat in advance have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing their seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at their departure gate. If it is determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, they will be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat(s).

Thanks Joe. The last time I flew it was Southwest too and they didn't say anything to me about my size (only the flight attendant asked about the seatbelt so I lied :D ). I'm assuming the TSA won't appreciate me asking to just go through for a minute to try a seat out (lmao, I wouldn't really go to the airport and do that!). I guess I have that much more incentive to keep my butt on my diet, huh??

joefla70
05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks Ian. It's not for a couple of months but I have a way of worrying so far ahead of time!

Oh, so you'll have PLENTY of time to get down under 195! :p

joefla70
05-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks Joe. The last time I flew it was Southwest too and they didn't say anything to me about my size (only the flight attendant asked about the seatbelt so I lied :D ). I'm assuming the TSA won't appreciate me asking to just go through for a minute to try a seat out (lmao, I wouldn't really go to the airport and do that!). I guess I have that much more incentive to keep my butt on my diet, huh??

I've flown SW when I could barely fit in the seat. I would get on as quick as I could, get an aisle seat, and PRAY that (1) the flight wasn't full and (2) nobody sat in the middle row. Believe me, when people saw the size of me, they'd pick ANY other seat on that plane to keep from being wedged between me and the passenger in the window seat. Luckily, I was never asked to leave the plane or have to buy the additional seat for "Customers of Size." You think its embarrassing to have to ask for a seatbelt extender? Just think how embarrassing it would be to have to do this:

Again, from the "Customer of Size" FAQ:

Can you ensure no one takes the seat beside me if I've secured a second seat?

The Customer who has secured more than one seat must be an active participant in preserving his/her additional seat. We encourage Customers of size to preboard to locate adequate seating and place the Seat Reserved Document in the adjacent seat. Our Ground Operations and Inflight Employees communicate about Customers’ needs, and if a Customer of size needs seating assistance, he/she should ask an Employee for help.

merilung
05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
If you need a seatbelt extender this time I'll eat my hat. I pretty much exclusively fly southwest and could easily fasten the seatbelt at 252. No worries, sweetie! Enjoy your trip! :)

thinkfit
05-17-2013, 05:11 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know if you've gotten your answer or yet not, but chill out! I'm 5'6, weigh 289lbs, and carry the majority of my weight in my hips and thighs. I flew Southwest two months ago closer to 300lbs and had ZERO problems. The seat wasn't as roomy as I'd have liked, but it wasn't by any means uncomfortably small - there was no issue with the belt at all though and I was a hundred pounds heavier than you! You shouldn't have any problem with the seat or belt :)

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Oh, so you'll have PLENTY of time to get down under 195! :p

LOL that's what I said about 199 and I stayed at 200.8, 200.6, 200.2 for a month!!!

I've flown SW when I could barely fit in the seat. I would get on as quick as I could, get an aisle seat, and PRAY that (1) the flight wasn't full and (2) nobody sat in the middle row. Believe me, when people saw the size of me, they'd pick ANY other seat on that plane to keep from being wedged between me and the passenger in the window seat. Luckily, I was never asked to leave the plane or have to buy the additional seat for "Customers of Size." You think its embarrassing to have to ask for a seatbelt extender? Just think how embarrassing it would be to have to do this:

Again, from the "Customer of Size" FAQ:

Can you ensure no one takes the seat beside me if I've secured a second seat?

The Customer who has secured more than one seat must be an active participant in preserving his/her additional seat. We encourage Customers of size to preboard to locate adequate seating and place the Seat Reserved Document in the adjacent seat. Our Ground Operations and Inflight Employees communicate about Customers’ needs, and if a Customer of size needs seating assistance, he/she should ask an Employee for help.

I never want to live in that situation ever again. I always took the window side so no one would have to dread sitting next to me. They always got my husband and he's normal sized.

If you need a seatbelt extender this time I'll eat my hat. I pretty much exclusively fly southwest and could easily fasten the seatbelt at 252. No worries, sweetie! Enjoy your trip! :)

LOL @ eat my hat. Thanks merilung!

I haven't read through the whole thread so I don't know if you've gotten your answer or yet not, but chill out! I'm 5'6, weigh 289lbs, and carry the majority of my weight in my hips and thighs. I flew Southwest two months ago closer to 300lbs and had ZERO problems. The seat wasn't as roomy as I'd have liked, but it wasn't by any means uncomfortably small - there was no issue with the belt at all though and I was a hundred pounds heavier than you! You shouldn't have any problem with the seat or belt :)

Thank you, thinkfit. I get so paranoid!

lunarsongbird
05-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Guys, I think we could make a FORTUNE if we created an airline that catered to "Customers of Size."

ikesgirl80
05-17-2013, 05:58 PM
I am 5'9" and at my heaviest I was 350 pounds. I don't know that I ever flew at top weight, but I know there were several times I flew at over 300 pounds. It sucked, but I've never needed an extender, even at my largest. I carry ALL of my weight in my stomach. I figured out that if I buckled my seat belt while 1/2 standing and sucking it in, I could just barely make it. Then sit and pray for a quick and smooth flight! At 270 pounds, I had a centimeter of slack in the belt.

The next time I will be flying, I should be around 155-165 pounds! I think I'll be swimming in the seats. And asking random strangers to take pictures of me so I can prove it! lol

Chris

Garnet2727
05-17-2013, 06:00 PM
elvislover, from last August to April, I was working in a job which included twice monthly travel. I was most often on very small commuter planes with smaller seats and shorter belts. I'm 5'7" and when I started traveling, I weighed over 235. I fit in the seats just fine and had slack in the seat belt.

You're going to be just fine. :hug:

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I just thought of something else...what about swollen ankles?? I had them so bad once I went to my doctor thinking I had a blood clot. I guess this time could be different since I don't drink alcohol anymore (haven't had even a sip since last August) and my sodium is less than 2500 a day. It was so embarrassing though. Like having 2 tree stumps for legs. :(

Garnet2727
05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Uh, can't help you with that one. I always retain water like the Hoover Dam when I fly. The only thing I can do to ameliorate it is, and I know this is counter-intuitive, drink lots of water. That means more trips to the bathroom but it does reduce the swelling a bit, at least for me.

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Oohhhhh...I might even fit in the bathroom and down the aisle you mean?! :)

Seriously it's going to be a huge NSV trip!

Missy Krissy
05-17-2013, 06:57 PM
You're still in the mindset of "fat Elvis." You'll be fine. The last time I flew I was around 180, so only 10 pounds lighter than you but 4 inches shorter. Seating wasn't an issue.

Lecomtes
05-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I think you'll be alright elvis! Last time I flew I weighed about 275 and I didn't require anything extra, although I was quite uncomfortable! I flew SW as well, coach (so cozy!...not). :)

Arctic Mama
05-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I just thought of something else...what about swollen ankles?? I had them so bad once I went to my doctor thinking I had a blood clot. I guess this time could be different since I don't drink alcohol anymore (haven't had even a sip since last August) and my sodium is less than 2500 a day. It was so embarrassing though. Like having 2 tree stumps for legs. :(

There will be some water retention, no good way around that though I find I have many less issues with this eating the way I do now (low carb, essentially no sugar or starch) than when I ate a more standard American diet. Plenty of water can also help, but if you're prone to it you're prone to it. Bummer :(

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 07:56 PM
You're still in the mindset of "fat Elvis." You'll be fine. The last time I flew I was around 180, so only 10 pounds lighter than you but 4 inches shorter. Seating wasn't an issue.

I think you'll be alright elvis! Last time I flew I weighed about 275 and I didn't require anything extra, although I was quite uncomfortable! I flew SW as well, coach (so cozy!...not). :)

LMAO @ fat Elvis!! You are right, I just can't grasp it. It's like I need to do it to know I can, you know?

Thank you both so much. I don't expect it to be comfortable, I just want to release the anxiety!

joefla70
05-17-2013, 09:02 PM
When I saw her refer to "Fat Elvis", I couldn't help but get an image in my head of Elvis Presley in his later years. . .

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zgdL1XJCFJg/T5FwX9Go1HI/AAAAAAAAAGU/3jybS_LkmRI/s320/old_elvis.jpg

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 09:20 PM
There will be some water retention, no good way around that though I find I have many less issues with this eating the way I do now (low carb, essentially no sugar or starch) than when I ate a more standard American diet. Plenty of water can also help, but if you're prone to it you're prone to it. Bummer :(

Oops sorry Arctic Mama, we must have been posting at the same time as I didn't see this earlier. I haven't had it happen since I started losing weight (knock on wood!). It would happen on long car rides too but hasn't with all my recent hospital visits (and those are about 90-120 minute rides), hopefully it won't on the flight either. Fingers crossed!

When I saw her refer to "Fat Elvis", I couldn't help but get an image in my head of Elvis Presley in his later years. . .

I might not be gorgeous or beautiful but I can assure you that I don't look like THAT!!

joefla70
05-17-2013, 09:33 PM
I might not be gorgeous or beautiful but I can assure you that I don't look like THAT!!

Of course not! Nobody said you were bloated, jumpsuit-wearing Elvis. You're early days, "Jailhouse Rock" era Elvis.

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Of course not! Nobody said you were bloated, jumpsuit-wearing Elvis. You're early days, "Jailhouse Rock" era Elvis.

Is this where I am supposed to say "thank you"??

You are so funny, Joe!

I cracked up earlier thinking about my husband coming home from work a little earlier. Imagine if he came in the house and I was measuring my butt in the mirror? He might have turned around and left, he might not want to know what goes on here when he's not home. Oh the stories my Elvis could tell!!

lunarsongbird
05-17-2013, 09:57 PM
http://media-cache-ec2.pinimg.com/192x/3b/aa/7b/3baa7b6275cb58052cdbdcb9e8714ec2.jpg
Huzzah!
Skinny Elvis!

SuperHeroTeacher
05-18-2013, 12:13 AM
(For a while, before I knew that Elvis was your dog's name, I thought you were an elderly woman who was a fan of Elvis Presley!)!

:rofl:

elvislover324
05-18-2013, 12:18 AM
(For a while, before I knew that Elvis was your dog's name, I thought you were an elderly woman who was a fan of Elvis Presley!)

Superhero's post just reminded me----what about me made you think I was ELDERLY?!?!??

wannaskipandlaugh
05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Elvis... You are going to be pleasantly surprised and have a major NSV with your trip! I got down to 260 5 years ago , flew Spirit (very tight seats) and asked the flight attendant for a seat extender and they have them on the plane for people.. . But even at that weight (and I am WAY BOTTOM HEAVY) I fit :) Truly... having the arm up between me and the person next to me (he was fine with that) made it very comfy... You with your weight shoot, you could add a bumper to each side of the arm and still have room... But please don't worry.. .. if you feel like it will ease your mind as as you enter the plane - that you might need an extender... the flight attendants really are nice people on planes, just ask them for the use of one....... I know that we hear horror stories as some flight attendants are rude but they might have just got off a long flight with screaming kids) :)

You will be surprised by the seat I am POSSITIVE !! :D

gailr42
05-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Since I AM elderly, I can explain...Elvis Presley was first popular when I was in about the 7th grade. I had the same thought; "Elvislover" must be about my age. LOL. Who knew Elvis was a dog?

I am flying next week. It will be the first time since I lost weight. I expect it to be uncomfortable, but I'll manage.

Have you planned a nice carry-on lunch for yourself? I always enjoy my homemade lunch, although it is sometimes difficult to figure out what the TSA will approve.

joefla70
05-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Since I AM elderly, I can explain...Elvis Presley was first popular when I was in about the 7th grade. I had the same thought; "Elvislover" must be about my age. LOL. Who knew Elvis was a dog?

I am flying next week. It will be the first time since I lost weight. I expect it to be uncomfortable, but I'll manage.

Have you planned a nice carry-on lunch for yourself? I always enjoy my homemade lunch, although it is sometimes difficult to figure out what the TSA will approve.

^ What she said! I was going to say middle-aged, but then I realized that at 43 -- I'M MIDDLE AGED - or close to it! And Elvis Presley was before my time. Technically, "elderly" is past middle aged, and as one approaches old age.

Vex
05-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Come to think of it, I think I read somewhere that Southwest was implementing a new policy in which it was changing the size of their seat belts to a smaller size to only accommodate passengers who weigh less than 195 pounds.

I'm sorry, but I cannot find evidence anywhere online of this. If you have it, can you please post it? I find that hard to believe given most men are easily 200 lbs.

I've flown a couple of times right around 200 and was just swimming in the seat compared to what it used to be like, and the tray went all the way down with room to spare.

ubergirl
05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Elvislover You've already heard from everybody else, but let me chime in as I've been on and off about 10 flights in the last month.

At 195, you do not even have to think about it. (I know, because I maintained in the 190s until recently, *sniff* *sniff*)

At 275, I had to scooch my but hard against the seat and STRUGGLE to get it latched, but I did. At 263, I just took a one-stop coast to coast flight. For some reason that I can't begin to imagine, two of the four belts had plenty of slack, and the other two were extended all the way, but I didn't have to scooch my butt back.

I guess it mostly matters where you carry your weight, because I've never had trouble putting the arm rest down, but the seat belt is trouble (did anyone say big belly?) When I was up in the 280s and 290s I couldn't buckle it at all, and I did once fly without my seatbelt because I was too embarrassed to ask for an extender. I also used to avoid getting on an airplane unless it was absolutely necessary.

I gotta tell you that when I weighed in the 190s my favorite thing was getting on an airplane and nonchalantly buckling the seat belt as if it was no big deal. And it is one of my biggest motivators to get back there, since I travel a lot. Most of the time, I don't really notice how big I am, but sitting on a Southwest flight trying to make myself as small as possible so as not to bother my neighbor always makes me remember, yes UBER, 263 and 190 are VERY DIFFERENT experiences.

Enjoy your trip and definitely put the worry straight out of your mind!!!

ubergirl
05-18-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry, but I cannot find evidence anywhere online of this. If you have it, can you please post it? I find that hard to believe given most men are easily 200 lbs.

Yes, and I can also attest to the fact that I flew Southwest recently when I was still up in the 270s, and I fit, although another five pounds would have probably put me over the edge. But, again, it depends a lot where you carry your weight, so I don't think there could possibly be a strict weight cut off.

betsy2013
05-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Obviously this was a popular thread yesterday and, as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. And just found out from reading this that I'm elderly. Hate to tell you all this, but when I'm in my 90s, I doubt if I think of myself as elderly!!!!!

Elvis, you are right -- this will be the trip of a thousand NSVs. So, for all of us who have been humiliated by an anorexic flight attendant, had to ask for an extender, had to raise the arm rest (or sat next to a dweeb who refused to do it), had to get to the airport over 2 hours early so we'd have rest time while walking half way to our destination just to get to the gates, please do the following.

After finding out that you can do all the things you're worried about, stand up and announce it to the plane. Or at least do it in your mind. Can you hear all of us clapping and cheering? Enjoy your trip.

joefla70
05-18-2013, 11:27 AM

I've flown a couple of times right around 200 and was just swimming in the seat compared to what it used to be like, and the tray went all the way down with room to spare.

Sorry!!! The "195 pound" policy was a joke for Elvis because she is currently at 196.4 pounds. I didn't think anybody would take it seriously! My apologies for the confusion!

bargoo
05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Everybody knows Elvis ! He is a legend, you didn't have to be around in his heyday to know that.

Underwater
05-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Elvis, we are both 5'6 and I had no problems with seatbelts from at least 230 and under. I remember having to suck it in for 250+, but even at my highest, 265, I managed to buckle them.

You have NOTHING to worry about. Have a great trip!

elvislover324
05-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone, I can't believe all of the replies on this thread! You are all awesome!

And sorry about the confusion with the 195. It was just Joe bustin' my chops knowing I get all worked up very easily! (And I still haven't measured my butt yet!)

The trip isn't for a couple of months but nothing like getting worked up and worried well in advance! Now I'll be on a mission to lose a few more pounds just in case, talk about incentive to stay on plan!

Wannabehealthy
05-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Superhero's post just reminded me----what about me made you think I was ELDERLY?!?!??

LOL I take offense! I grew up listening to Elvis and I do not consider myself elderly. Of course, the older I get, the older "elderly" becomes!

Wannabehealthy
05-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Just want to make a comment from another prospective. If I was buying a car, I would pass on a car with a little seating area and go for one with a roomy seat, and probably pay more for that car. I would be more than willing to pay more for that car rather than squeeze into that little car every day. And if I was too big to fit into an airline seat without infringing on the space of the persons around me, I would buy the extra seat.

I am not talking about anyone here in this post. We are all on this forum because we want to lose weight or we are maintaining. It's just my personal opinion of what I would do if I was in that position.

elvislover324
05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
And if I was too big to fit into an airline seat without infringing on the space of the persons around me, I would buy the extra seat.

:corn:

If I could afford the 2 seats every time I flew I'd buy them both. I'd say most of us don't have that luxury...but I don't want this thread to turn into that type of battle.

Garnet2727
05-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I think most people who fly regularly would buy an extra seat if they could afford to do so. Airplane seats are not built to be comfortable or roomy. They are built to cram as many people into as small space as possible. The most miserable flights I've been on in the past year where someone was encroaching on my space involved men who were not fat but they had broad shoulders. Should they have been forced to buy an extra seat because of that?

Uh, OK, derail of the thread. Sorry, elvislover.

joefla70
05-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Just want to make a comment from another prospective. If I was buying a car, I would pass on a car with a little seating area and go for one with a roomy seat, and probably pay more for that car. I would be more than willing to pay more for that car rather than squeeze into that little car every day. And if I was too big to fit into an airline seat without infringing on the space of the persons around me, I would buy the extra seat.

I am not talking about anyone here in this post. We are all on this forum because we want to lose weight or we are maintaining. It's just my personal opinion of what I would do if I was in that position.

On some airlines there is an option to upgrade to their business class for an up-charge. I have bought those seats before and it was nice. But to have to buy TWO seats just to get extra space doesn't seem reasonable. To use your car analogy, you and I would be willing to pay extra for a car with more roomy seating. But would you pay TWICE as much for that car?

Garnet2727
05-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Also, on some planes there aren't any upgrade options. Many flights out of where I live, in Lansing, MI, are small commuter planes with substantially the same seating for everyone. The exceptions are a little more leg room by an exit door or the non-reclining seats at the very back of the plane.

On planes with upgrade options, the less expensive upgrades are nice so I always go for them when I'm able. The best seats, first class, are well out of my price range to buy although I get into them occasionally because of my frequent flier status.

Wannabehealthy
05-19-2013, 01:15 PM
On some airlines there is an option to upgrade to their business class for an up-charge. I have bought those seats before and it was nice. But to have to buy TWO seats just to get extra space doesn't seem reasonable. To use your car analogy, you and I would be willing to pay extra for a car with more roomy seating. But would you pay TWICE as much for that car?

No, I would not pay twice as much for the car, but the price of the car is a lot more than the price of an airline ticket. I can't even afford the first ticket let alone buying an extra one. If the airlines made all the seats bigger, then everyone would be paying more for their seat. No one wants to be singled out, but I personally would take responsibility if I were the person who did not fit properly in the seat whether it is my butt or my shoulders or whatever is preventing me from fitting into my allotted space. That's just me. I also don't like when the person in front of me reclines their seat so far back that their head is practically in my lap and I can't move. But that's another story.

Sorry if my comment offended anyone. It wasn't meant that way.

KittyKatFan
05-19-2013, 05:56 PM
As everyone said, you will be fine.

Unlike some people who have posted, I was not able to fly without an extender when I went to Costa Rica, which was when I was about 280. I just have a big gut, I guess. I would pay extra for first class so I wasn't so uncomfortable.

I always avoided Evil Southwest because of their anti-fat policy until last July when I had no choice because my company makes us choose the lowest price fare and SW also had a direct flight. I was about 225 at the time and like you, I was nervous. I even bought the extra early bird pass that lets you move up in the boarding order so I could get a seat where I would be least likely to have someone sit next to me and make that person uncomfortable.

I had nothing to worry about. Tons of room in the seat (I actually think SW's coach seats may be bigger than some other carriers) and even got to tighten the belt! And I guess I didn't look too big since someone sat right next to me without looking like they wanted to cry.

It was quite the NSV. The other great NSV is when you fit into a commercial airline seat. Those planes are like toys, they are so tiny! But I fit without n extender and don't even bring extenders with me.

By the way, you are right that the standard belt extender you buy online ("model A") doesn't work for SW. However, you can buy ones that do fit on SW. I think it's model B or C. And most flight attendants aren't going to check to see if you are using a regulation extender (except for one particularly evil American attendant who called me out publicly and yelled to her partner that I needed an extender and didn't bother to discreetly hand it to me, and publicly asked me to return it when I was getting off the plane).

Garnet2727
05-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Oh, something I just thought of...

I always try for an aisle seat. It is kind of a pain to be bumped by the drink cart and by folks walking up an down the aisle, but it's worth it to me to not feel as closed in as I do in the middle or window seat. Also, I have a peanut bladder and I always have to pee on flights that are longer than an hour. Having an aisle seat means that you don't have to ask others to move or try to climb over them.

elvislover324
05-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks again everyone!

I think I am going to take my chances and be brave without buying the extender. And hopefully I'm down a couple more pounds before then.

And Garnet, I haven't peed on a plane since like 1989 (lol), once someone mentioned that they were afraid of getting sucked down the toilet with the waste I was so over it!! (I think I was in high school when someone made that comment and I never forgot it, as silly as it sounds.)

I have another NSV that I want to see if I can get. It's sitting at a sub shop about 45 mins away from our house (it's one of the pre-formed old style booths that are screwed to the floor). I figure if I can get myself into that seat, I can sit anywhere (the last time I was there, I think the seat was tighter than an airline seat!). Might have to make a trip there soon. I can't eat pizza and subs on my diet but my husband sure can (fatten him up while I bask in an NSV hopefully!).

Nikel1979
05-19-2013, 06:24 PM
I have flown at my highest, and I never had any problems fitting in my seat.

What I would pay more for, if it was always an option, and it wouldn't mean paying more for my entire family, is more leg room. I'm 5'10" and have very long thighs. I never fit comfortably on airplanes/buses/auditorium seats/etc. I have to sit sideways if I don't want my knees crammed into the back of the seat in front of me. I'm tall, but not that tall. My husband is several inches taller, and he doesn't have that problem.