Calorie Counters - Calorie Counter Newbie

View Full Version : Calorie Counter Newbie

SophieCormier
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi guys!
Now I've already done calorie counting before so I'm not REALLY a newbie to it all but I actually started counting calories again. As of Monday, I weighed 188.0 and my goal weight is 135.0. Yesterday was my first day counting calories. I'm using Myfitnesspal on my phone. It's so handy and convenient! I started my calories at 1600 but only ended up eating 1512. Should I try more closely to reach the 1600 or do you guys think I'm ok doing it this way? I always eat differently and just try to stick under the 1600. Opinions?

Remington90
05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
I had the same issue in the sense that I actually TRIED to go under. From guidance here and support, I'd suggest to eat what you're limit is. If you're 50 cals under? No biggie. But if your budget is 1600, I'd try to eat at least 1500 of those. But on the same note, if you're not hungry, then don't eat. Some days you might even go over by 100, some you'll be 300 under. It all depends on your activity level, amount of sleep, things going on throughout the day. I've learned to go more by the "week' then the "day" with calories. I try my hardest to get as close to 1600 (I'm at the same budget) as I can. If I go over one day, the next few I'll cut it back and vice versa. Don't know if thats a "proven" thing but it's worked for me.

SophieCormier
05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
^ That's actually a really good idea. Thanks Remington! :)
So I'll make a budget of 11,200 for the week (1600 per day) and go from there.

I actually went to bed last night and I was hungry. I told myself I'd eat when I got up (I couldn't think of something I wanted to eat that was 90 calories or less). Let me tell you though, this morning when my eyes sprung open, my stomach woke up at the same time because man! I was hungry.

Remington90
05-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Good! Glad I could help. And ya there's days where I'll wait til the morning too and I'm like a ravenous animal. haha, but it happens. As long as you're staying at your budget, you'll be fine ! :)

beecurrency
05-16-2013, 11:06 PM
I'd suggest doing a range of calories. 1500-1600 per day. It'll allow for daily flexibility, and you won't constantly be wondering if you should aim higher, while at the same time you won't be depriving yourself.

Oh, and welcome to calorie counting. Hope it works well for you!!