UK Fat Chicks - What do you eat for breakfast?

View Full Version : What do you eat for breakfast?

metalfirecracker
05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone eats for breakfast, since I've only started having it in the morning.

I love my new breakfast, and it takes minutes to make, but fills me up for ages.

1 wholegrain pitta bread toasted- 125cal
2 egg whites fried in 1cal spray - 45cal
1 tsp ketchup - 18cal
10g grated medium cheddar melted over eggs while frying - 41cal
Total: 229calories

I work from home, but if you needed to, you could wrap in tin foil and eat on the way to work. It keeps me full and stops me snacking, as it doesn't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything.

I have breakfast around 10am, have a snack like a crackerbread with linessa cottage cheese (from lidl, the only cottage cheese I like) + a slice of wafer thin ham at 4pm and usually don't eat again till dinner around 7pm.

This leaves me enough calories to have a big dinner and another snack or some low fat natural yoghurt and fruit later on in the evening.

What do you have for breakfast?

Quirky Chick
05-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I go back and forth on things for breakfast. Sometimes I do multigrain cheerios w/ 1% milk, or a greek yogurt, a little fruit, puffed red wheat cereal with wheat germ (has absolutely nothing else added) w/ milk and a strawberry, or lately I've been doing vitamin & antioxidant boosted smoothies: have about all the vitamins you can think of plus needed minerals, and fiber.

Rhiko
05-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Typically I eat cereal. At the moment, I'm eating 30g of Original Special K with 100g of low fat milk. I think it's about 260 calories, or something. Otherwise, if I'm running late to uni, I'll have an apple at 72 calories and a small sandwich from Pita Pit to complete breakfast when my class if finished. Together, these are 350 cals, I think (I don't have my phone on me to check my log).

cincorn
05-16-2013, 12:33 PM
1-Minute Muffin
1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter (melted)

1.5 Carbs

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffe cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out.

This is the "original" recipe low-carb dieters have been using for a while. I make different versions. I like to use half flax meal, half almond meal. so that is 2 TBS flax meal and 2TBS almond meal. I think the texture is better but add a carb, making the muffin about 2.5 carbs and about 240 calories. I slather with cream cheese. I hope you enjoy!

CaityCait88
05-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Usually I go for:

Greek yogurt and piece of fruit

or

3 egg whites w/ 1 slice lite wheat toast

or

smoothie with scoop of protein powder with only a few berries and mostly spinach/kale

All are 2 WW points plus

IanG
05-16-2013, 01:00 PM
When I am at home, I eat two slices of low calorie bread, spread with light mayonaise and raw mushrooms. Love the stuff.

When I am not at home, I have a boiled egg with something else like a fruit salad.

NorthernChick13
05-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Peanut butter on a banana if I am running super late, or a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit and protein powder!

Lecomtes
05-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Ian, now that is a sandwich I've never tried! Now I'm curious to do so!

My typical b-fast opinions are
1) none (typically I'll just eat one apple or oarage)
2) an egg on 1/2 an english muffin or low cal bread with a mandarin orange
3) Low cal greek yogurt with 1/2 cup fresh berried
4) 2 egg omelette made with 1 cup of whatever veggies are on hand
5) 1 cup cream of wheat
6) Green smoothie with fruit/kale/spinach/flax
7) Homemade quiche (made with skim milk & veggies)

ReillyJ
05-16-2013, 11:40 PM
pretty much 2 slices low calorie bread toasted and on it i put a scrambled egg white, 2 slices turkey bacon, melted cheddar cheese and strawberry or raspberry jam...delicious sweet saltiness.
i've lately substituted sugar free smuckers jam because it's much lower in calories but sucks compared to reg. jam

Crow
05-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Bowl of cereal and half a banana (baby gets the other half).

BuffyInSunnydale
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I usually have All bran with semi skimmed milk and i like to slice a banana into it.
Or i have Muesli or bran flakes with fruit. Both of those again with semi skimmed milk.

Leaves
05-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Weekdays is a sachet of microwave porridge and a cup of tea with 1% milk for about 120 cal, but at the weekends we have scrambled eggs on toast with fresh coffee. Delicious :)

joefla70
05-17-2013, 11:45 AM
I had a couple of these this morning. They are "Broccoli And Cheese Mini Egg Omelets" that I found on skinnytaste.com. I make them with Eggbeaters Florentine and Friendship 1% Whipped Cottage Cheese (rather than regular eggs and cheese which the recipe calls for. It brings the calorie count down to about 55 each.) I make a batch of 12 and put them in the fridge for a full work-week of easy breakfast yumminess! I just pop 'em in the microwave for a minute and they're done.

These are SO easy and quick to prepare-- especially using the Eggbeaters, and clean-up is really easy too.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-E2HnBHUWkQE/UXP4y5mm__I/AAAAAAAALIs/PxW9jXf-49U/s1600/make-ahead-broccoli-and-cheese-mini-egg-omelets.jpg

http://skinnytaste.ziplist.com/recipes/318837-Broccoli_and_Cheese_Mini_Egg_Omelets?return_to=%2F recipes%2Fbox

IanG
05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks Lecomtes. I normally toast the bread and have two "open" sandwiches with the two slices of bread. That way you get more raw mushrooms in ya! Peel the mushrooms to get rid of the slimey skin! Delish.

05-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I like to keep it varied. At the moment it tends to be one of the following:

Muesli or Special K/Fruit & Fibre with optional fruit e.g. strawberries, plums, apple or banana

Porridge with fruit

Rice cakes with cream cheese and cucumber/tomato

Fruit salad (strawberries, apple, banana, raisins, pineapple) and an optional yoghurt

Hoopty
05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Every morning I cook 1/2 cup of oatmeal in 1 cup of vanilla soy milk. Then I add a cut-up banana and some sort of berries (at the moment it's raspberries). I can't start my day without it!

luckystreak
05-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Every morning I cook 1/2 cup of oatmeal in 1 cup of vanilla soy milk. Then I add a cut-up banana and some sort of berries (at the moment it's raspberries). I can't start my day without it!

Same. with a cup of coffee mmmmmmmmmm best breakfast ever. It feels like it should be a cheat meal too.

Also, Ive been eating healthy for almost 3 years now and Im sick of special K, despite its deliciousness. I tried Fibre 1 brown sugar shredded wheats and looovee it. So that too if Im in a rush.

Skettihead03
05-17-2013, 11:00 PM
I alternate, with my most common ones being

- 1 pack of oat fit cinnamon roll oatmeal with extra cinnamon
- 1 large banana
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- 2 egg whites + 2 slices of turkey bacon
- Fruit smoothie

crispin
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I grew up never eating bfast, but I've been eating it pretty consistently the past 3 years.
If I'm really tired I have no appetite, so just eat a hard boiled egg.

The rest of the time, I can eat anything. I often eat foods that aren't traditional breakfast foods. For example, today I made a big salad that had Mexican flavors: a small organic chicken thigh that was marinated in hot sauce, cumin, & cilantro (coriander), some homemade black bean & corn salsa, tomato, and a big pile of lettuce. For the dressing, I mixed a tablespoon of ranch with hot sauce.

I like to always eat a protein and pair it with some complex carbs.

I can't do sugar in the morning. It makes me hungrier the rest of the day. If I have something high in sugar, I have to pair it with protein and fat.

Cereals don't satiate me, so, if I eat them, I only have them at nighg for dessert.

I can do oatmeal so long as I combine it with protein/fat, so I'll throw in some peanut butter and milk.

I eat eggs in various forms a lot too, especially egg sandwiches of all sorts. I recently put a fried egg on a whole grain waffle, some diced up sausage, and a tiny drizzle of honey.

And of course, good ol greek yogurt with nuts. I eat that often.

GordonGirl16
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
I like a variation, so I switch around between a few things

egg-white omlettes (my favorite is muschrooms, spinach, tomatoes, and a little cheese - YUM!)

non-fat Greek yogurt

Cereal - usually Kashi or Special K

fruit with peanut butter

And sometimes I'll have a piece of whole-wheat toast with any of these if I am still feeling hungry

LaurenM427
05-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Hello UK Chicks! I'm in the US, but wanted to share my new awesome breakfast with you, just in case anyone was looking for some new ideas

Overnight Oats:

1/2 cup Quaker Oats
1 scoop protein powder (I like gold standard)
1/2 cup of milk plus a little water
Cinnamon (optional)
Vanilla extract (optional)

Mix everything together in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. In the morning you have delicious, chilled oatmeal with a protein boost. I usually add a tablespoon of chia seeds in the morning for some extra fiber. This is filling, tasty, and well balanced :) :cb::angel::hug:

Joanne M
06-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I have steel cut oats with walnuts and blueberries or strawberries.

seaurchin
06-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Shake: 1 cup of baby spinach, 1 cup of fruit (usually strawberries), 1/2 cup of chickpeas, and 1 cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk.

Michelle2008
06-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I eat a peanut slimfast bar every morning. I was never a breakfast person - I find it convenient and I actually really love the bar!! I know I should eat fresh food - but all my snacks are fruit and I load tonnes of veggies into dinner.

BreathingSpace
06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
A collard green leaf with some coconut oil and natural peanut butter spread onto it and 1 banana smushed into it. Wrap it all up!

Psychic
06-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I usually eat cereals that contain fiber and protein, such as Kashi GoLean (or Aldi version, GetBalanced) and almond milk.

Sometimes I eat low-calorie bread with peanut butter and sugar free jelly.

I also enjoy Wasa crisps with laughing cow cheese spreads.

Bella Figura
06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I eat breakfast at my desk at about 9.30 am (4 hours after I get up). If I ate any earlier I'd be ravenous by mid morning. I like to get in a good slug of fibre for the minimum amount of calories possible, since I like to save most of my calories for dinnertime (and my 'budget' is only 1025 calories per day). This way I normally have about 700 calories for dinner by the time I've had breakfast and lunch.

I alternate between -

1) 40 grams of Weetabix Crunchy Bran (140 calories, 8g of fibre) which I eat dry out of a tupperware tub, washed down with a litre of water and a large mug of Tea Pig Licorice and Mint tea (no milk or sugar so just 1 calorie per mug). Total breakfast 141 calories, 8g of fibre.

2) 50g of frozen raspberries (52 calories, 5g of fibre) which I then eat thawed with 15g of Mornflake Oatbran (55 calories, 3g of fibre) and 15g of Total 0% greek yogurt (9 calories) - washed down with a litre of water and a large mug of Licorice and Mint tea (1 cal): total breakfast 116 calories, 8g of fibre.

Either of these options keep me full until lunchtime.

ashleybrook05
06-22-2013, 05:46 AM
Depends on how I feel. Although, I love eating fried egg, sausage, and a toast for breakfast. When on a diet I usually have oats or fruits.

Krissypants29
06-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Almond butter with toast
Oatmeal
Eggs
Greek Yogurt
Omelet

francesy
06-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Always a cup of tea with almond milk, then either scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast, fruit mixed with yogurt or porridge. I'm a creature of habit!

cantgetenoughchoc
06-23-2013, 08:40 PM
2 weetabix, a handful of raspberries and a few blueberries. And about 100ml of semi skimmed milk = 200 calories! And it's my fave meal of the day!

Tohisha77
06-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I'll have a bowl of fiber1 cereal(flakes) and I like to to mix it with a little bit of honey bunches of oats cereal or I'll make a Turkey bacon sandwhich :)