Weight Loss Support - Had an awful experience at the doctor today.

Thedollylala
05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
I went to a primary care doctor to establish everything. I had a few things I needed to cover since it has been a while since I've been. This man had something awful and condescending to say about everything I had questions for.

My list of things

- Get an ob referral to have my iud removed so I can ttc later this year.
His response "you know that iuds are just causing you I have an abortion. You need to have it removed and try the natural method by tracking your mucus its 100% effective" he also tried to explain to me that the baby is conceived but can't stay in the uterus. I then responded by "yes I'm aware the uterine wall is thinned out so a pregnancy can not occur"

I for some reason asked about other stuff like I thought he could help. He gave me a referral for the ob plus an ENT for a cyst on my ear. The only two helpful things he did.

I mentioned I had Athsma but it hasn't flared up since I quit smoking and I can run and its not as relevan since I lost 60 lbs. I then asked him to look at something on my back he said that it was Fine but that I needed to lose my weight and he wanted me to follow his diet plan. I took the paperwork annoyed at this point, I am losing and being fit just fine.

So the final straw I asked about something to help with my anxiety. He said " the running doesn't help? You shouldn't have anxiety if you run like you do" it made me feel so stupid. I replied "no but you can't run just whenever you have an Anxiety attack" to his response "you don't believe in god I presume" I pause shocked and astounded that he would judge me. "Yes i do but I don't understand why it matters" he said "just talk to god about it, and who ever causes you anxiety just talk it out, it's part of life" I wanted to scream "I can't talk it out don't you see!" But I just tried to explain what happens and he said " well if you want to become addicted to pills fine, I'll send you to a physiatrist and they can perscribe you, but I won't"

I just shook my head in defeat. It really just dragged me down and ruined my day, I felt like a moron. I had never felt so intruded upon by anyone. I was seeking help. And I got judgement. Ugh venting helps a little but I can't shake how I feel. I didn't go workout, my head wasn't in the right place. I know I'm not going back I just have to go back to tricare and get set up with another primary that's near me...

elvislover324
05-14-2013, 10:44 PM
:hug:

There are so many things wrong with how he treated you but it would make me ill to acknowledge them the way you had to. Downright unprofessional (and those are the polite words that I can put here otherwise they'd be ^&*$#@).

Definitely time for a new doctor, esp. if you want (need) better answers to the things he couldn't/wouldn't do for you.

I'm so sorry you had that experience today. :hug:

mimsyborogoves
05-14-2013, 10:45 PM
If I were you, I'd change doctors. He doesn't sound like he's all that concerned about actually helping you. Religious or not, I'll be damned if I have a medical professional tell me to just rely on my belief to take care of my issues instead of actually giving me medical assistance.

Thedollylala
05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I think the thing that gets me is I do have beliefs but I have done research on things. I know there must be something to help with everything I have an ailment for. He said other things to everything but its so exhausting to think about it.

I mentioned him to a coworker and she said she's been to him and he gave her Xanax with no question or concern. Not that I want that Kim of treatment either, it just doesn't make sense that he would guilt me, but not care at all about another person and perscribe whatever. I do do do plan to switch. I rarely get sick, I just need him for referrals.

SuperHeroTeacher
05-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Definitely time for a new doctor. :hug:

What elvis said ^

And if he works with a medical group I would contact the Patient Advocate and lie a complaint.

hhm6
05-14-2013, 11:21 PM
I can't believe a physician would talk to you like that, as someone applying to medical school, I don't think I've have ever come across one who would speak that way to a patient, talk about unprofessional!! Oy I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I would definitely change physicians asap! Hope you're feeling better!

Moving Forward
05-14-2013, 11:45 PM
That visit wouldn't have gone well for me either. What a jerk!

gonnabfitmom
05-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I would have told him to leave the room and send in another physician.

freelancemomma
05-15-2013, 12:56 AM
You could report his behaviour to your state's medical regulatory body. It might help you feel less victimized by this doofus doctor. I hate to think what he would have said to an agnostic like me.

F.

Mozzy
05-15-2013, 01:05 AM
Hugs

That guy is a complete quack! Never go back there!

I would also report him to your insurance company and the state medical board.

I'm sorry you had this awful experience, hugs to you

chaitea115
05-15-2013, 03:10 AM
I am a registered nurse and trust me on this one... That MD's behaviour was COMPLETELY unacceptable towards a patient and if it was my doctor I'd be lodging an official complaint
PS: I work is psychiatry and that's like the last thing you should say to a pt w anxiety or a mental health issue - what a doofus

Arctic Mama
05-15-2013, 05:43 AM
I don't disagree with a word he said and still find that incredibly unprofessional, unless the patient clearly indicates they wish to discuss details and opinions in that vein (and even then, it is arguably outside the scope of his practice, depending on how he is credentialed and what his retention contract entails).

While I wouldn't be offended, as I agree with his premises, I would either lodge an anonymous complaint or go to him, directly, and explain your issues with his handling of your case. Sometimes dealing with it in that way and not escalating it up a disciplinary chain can be a wise response, especially if you get the impression he wasn't trying to be insensitive but was just unaware the information wasn't being received the way he may have intended.

Not professional of him, unless he is running his own private, family practice, and even then it was skirting the line of what I'd consider acceptable from a family GP who doesn't have strong rapport with me.

NorthernChick13
05-15-2013, 07:30 AM
If I were you, I'd change doctors. He doesn't sound like he's all that concerned about actually helping you. Religious or not, I'll be damned if I have a medical professional tell me to just rely on my belief to take care of my issues instead of actually giving me medical assistance.

I am going to echo Lauren to a t. OMG sending love your way, and here's hoping you move on. It won't fix everything right away, but having a new professional look at things will relieve some of the anxiety! What an a$$hat!

punkrocksong
05-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Geez...I thought my GP was horrible. I probably would have been in tears by the end of that visit, I hope you find a new doctor - one that's willing to listen to you anyway.

fadedbluejeans
05-15-2013, 08:23 AM
I am so lucky to have a wonderful doc! Sorry you met that asshat! I also want to jump on the report him bandwagon... It might be empowering to you, and keep him from treating others in the same disgraceful manner.

ikesgirl80
05-15-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree, you should report him! I know I would have left in tears for sure! Good luck finding someone who can meet your needs!

Thedollylala
05-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Well I will be reporting him to tricare, as a military wife I can't pick and choose when I have sex with my husband depending on my mucus flow. And just if he is offered put a warning next to his name, like natural doctor or something, because I am not that kind of person who doesn't believe in birth control. I am OK with not putting myself in a situation where I can't afford another child. Let alone the anxiety situation.

Wannabeskinny
05-15-2013, 09:07 AM
He sounds more like a priest. Very creepy! I would lodge a complaint, but not anonymously - what's there to be afraid of? I don't take it kindly when someone questions or brings up religion. And the fact that he accused you of abortion, is way way way crossing the line. Is this a military doctor?? Definitely report.

gailr42
05-15-2013, 11:31 AM
What an outrageous, demoralizing experience. I can't add anything to what's already been said.

I don't know anything about Tricare, but maybe they should hear about this. You may have been referring to Tricare when you said that there should be a note by his name.

Good luck.

Silverfire
05-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Wow, you handled that pretty well all things considered. I don't think I would have been that calm... If any doctor were to say those things to me (specifically Religion related questions) I would LOSE MY SH!T. No joke. IMO Religion has no place in a doctors office! And that abortion comment, WTH?

Glad you are reporting him, and good luck on the search for a non doofus doc :D

betsy2013
05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Just throwing in my support here. NO ONE HAS TO TAKE THIS KIND OF ABUSE. Report him and make a stink if you have to.

Thedollylala
05-15-2013, 12:54 PM
He sounds more like a priest. Very creepy! I would lodge a complaint, but not anonymously - what's there to be afraid of? I don't take it kindly when someone questions or brings up religion. And the fact that he accused you of abortion, is way way way crossing the line. Is this a military doctor?? Definitely report.

No he was just on the listof doctors that take tricare prime, the base is over an hour away from me. So I decided to find one close but yeah, not seeing him again.

kk2323
05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
That doctor sounds like a freak! Can you get a new one? I'm sorry you had to deal with that today.

IanG
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
He's a nutcase. Find another one. And a female!

krampus
05-15-2013, 02:10 PM
What a presumptuous asshat. I get not wanting to prescribe benzos to just anyone bc of the high high high high dependence and abuse factor, but he definitely crossed the line with the god thing. And of course telling you your birth control method = having abortions.

People like that shouldn't be doctors. Doctors are supposed to leave their opinions out of the matter.

CherryPie99
05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
When I was 17, I went to an old OB/Gyn that my mother had used for years. He was no longer taking on clients that were of child bearing age, with the exception of daughters of existing patients.

I was there specifically for an exam to get on birth control. He KNEW that this is why my mother had made the appointment for me.

As I am laying on my back and after he had inserted the speculum, he says to me "Doesn't it bother you to be a complete slut?"

Now if anyone said that to me today, I would pound them, but back then I was so freakin humiliated I ran out of the office in tears...

Some people should just not be in the "helping" fields!!

Jen

Amarantha2
05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
I have run into a number of medical professionals in my life who really ought not to be talking to patients at all. Some have been very good in their field & that's what really matters. They ought to stick to surgery or whatever but NOT talk to patients because some that I've met & been treated by really are not ever going to be enlightened as to how to show empathy to a patient.

Wannabeskinny
05-16-2013, 09:06 AM
When I was 17, I went to an old OB/Gyn that my mother had used for years. He was no longer taking on clients that were of child bearing age, with the exception of daughters of existing patients.

I was there specifically for an exam to get on birth control. He KNEW that this is why my mother had made the appointment for me.

As I am laying on my back and after he had inserted the speculum, he says to me "Doesn't it bother you to be a complete slut?"

Now if anyone said that to me today, I would pound them, but back then I was so freakin humiliated I ran out of the office in tears...

Jen

How AWFUL! Is this doctor still practicing? If he is he needs to be called out on this inappropriate behavior. It's not too late, call Fox news or SOMETHING, I am so angry for you!

Daki
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
This sounds similar to treatment my friend and I receieved after we were in an auto accident. The problem our doctor had with us is because of what my friend looked like. At the time she had purple hair, she has her lip pierced, her septum pierced, tons of ear piercings. I have stretched ears and several ear piercings. He completely dismissed us and didn't do anything other than poke us in the back three times and send us home. I think he took one look at her and assumed we were both unworthy of his time.

And you know what? My friend messed up her back and neck badly in that accident. It is over 2 years later and she's still going to doctors and having procedures for what happened to her and that doctor didn't bother to do a freaking thing.

I'm willing to bet he saw your tattoos and hair and immediately made a decision about what kind of peron you are. I'm sorry that happened to you, that's completely unacceptable.

amandie
05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
This sounds similar to treatment my friend and I receieved after we were in an auto accident. The problem our doctor had with us is because of what my friend looked like. At the time she had purple hair, she has her lip pierced, her septum pierced, tons of ear piercings. I have stretched ears and several ear piercings. He completely dismissed us and didn't do anything other than poke us in the back three times and send us home. I think he took one look at her and assumed we were both unworthy of his time.

And you know what? My friend messed up her back and neck badly in that accident. It is over 2 years later and she's still going to doctors and having procedures for what happened to her and that doctor didn't bother to do a freaking thing.

I'm willing to bet he saw your tattoos and hair and immediately made a decision about what kind of peron you are. I'm sorry that happened to you, that's completely unacceptable.

Yea when I read this thread, my first thought went to how dollylala looks and could have been the cause of the doctor's missteps towards her. Not that I am excusing his behavior whatsoever!!!!! Sorry that happened to you and your friend. Hope she finally gets better.

Dolly- Jeez, I'd have been so pissed. I don't know how I would have reacted but yea, change doctors. Hoping you find one that you like! :hug:

franciejones
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I went to a primary care doctor to establish everything. I had a few things I needed to cover since it has been a while since I've been. This man had something awful and condescending to say about everything I had questions for.

My list of things

- Get an ob referral to have my iud removed so I can ttc later this year.
His response "you know that iuds are just causing you I have an abortion. You need to have it removed and try the natural method by tracking your mucus its 100% effective" he also tried to explain to me that the baby is conceived but can't stay in the uterus. I then responded by "yes I'm aware the uterine wall is thinned out so a pregnancy can not occur"

I for some reason asked about other stuff like I thought he could help. He gave me a referral for the ob plus an ENT for a cyst on my ear. The only two helpful things he did.

I mentioned I had Athsma but it hasn't flared up since I quit smoking and I can run and its not as relevan since I lost 60 lbs. I then asked him to look at something on my back he said that it was Fine but that I needed to lose my weight and he wanted me to follow his diet plan. I took the paperwork annoyed at this point, I am losing and being fit just fine.

So the final straw I asked about something to help with my anxiety. He said " the running doesn't help? You shouldn't have anxiety if you run like you do" it made me feel so stupid. I replied "no but you can't run just whenever you have an Anxiety attack" to his response "you don't believe in god I presume" I pause shocked and astounded that he would judge me. "Yes i do but I don't understand why it matters" he said "just talk to god about it, and who ever causes you anxiety just talk it out, it's part of life" I wanted to scream "I can't talk it out don't you see!" But I just tried to explain what happens and he said " well if you want to become addicted to pills fine, I'll send you to a physiatrist and they can perscribe you, but I won't"

I just shook my head in defeat. It really just dragged me down and ruined my day, I felt like a moron. I had never felt so intruded upon by anyone. I was seeking help. And I got judgement. Ugh venting helps a little but I can't shake how I feel. I didn't go workout, my head wasn't in the right place. I know I'm not going back I just have to go back to tricare and get set up with another primary that's near me...

A so-called scientist...talked to you about god? Staggering. I would never go back after all that was said.
Find a new primary doc and never think of this person again. If talking to god fixed everything...humans would have never invented ANYTHING. I am still so shocked!!!!!!!

franciejones
05-16-2013, 12:03 PM

Jen

Well...my dear...I am so sorry. I have read that 1 in 25 people are sociopaths...and sociopaths can be doctors. Sounds like you had an encounter with a woman hating sociopath.
Very awful...and I am SO SORRY that this happened to you when you were little more than a baby...

When I was 15..an intern (male) was doing my pelvic exam...I WAS ALONE for some reason...and he told me I had very nice muscle tone in the creepiest way.
I reported it to my mother..and she said...well...he is really cute! So I had no support AT ALL. Luckily I was sharp enough to understand that it was totally wrong..especially while he had his fingers in my vagina! Total sicko. I only wish I had kicked him in his stupid face when he said it.

Thedollylala
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the support everyone, I will update you all on my ventures of re establishing a new doctor!

novangel
05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
:hug:Oh FFS an IUD stops implantation (99.999% of the time) therefore there's no pregnancy to abort...obviously you're dealing with someone who believes life begins at conception (if in the rare case conception even happens w/ IUD which nobody knows for sure) but that's not his place to voice his religious views. If you wanted his opinion you'd ask for it or go to a church and ask. If that's the case I guess we should cry every month when we expell an unused egg during our period.

He actually suggested you watch your fluids and use pull out method? Um..ok.. WHAT A MORON to suggest that to patients. That's how abortions happen!

That part about praying away your anxiety just pisses me off. He's obviously never dealt with crippling anxiety/panic attacks. Thank God for medication. The exercise helps a lot but w/o meds I probably wouldn't even be able to hold down employment.

My GYN is the opposite, he insisted I be on BC to the point he made me feel like I was 17 and irresponsible. He actually gave me pamphlets on all the different types and how they work. I'm surprised he didn't want to have a birds and bees talk with me while he was at it. He's on the outs too..I'm tired of feeling judged when I go in there for being a single mom. I have my sh*t well put together but there's a stigma and he's definitely lumped me in with the bad apples.

Ugh..Sorry that happened to you. :hug:

Radiojane
05-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Doctors are a nightmare. I was lucky to have the same one from the age of about 7 to 25, and I freaked when he moved away. I FINALLY found someone who's good enough, but he's still not AS GOOD. You can be a christian doctor and still be competent in prescribing/describing birth control. What a loser.

He should have been slapped for that anxiety thing to. God.

merilung
05-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Total lunatic. Report him.

Elladorine
05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I mentioned him to a coworker and she said she's been to him and he gave her Xanax with no question or concern. Not that I want that Kim of treatment either, it just doesn't make sense that he would guilt me, but not care at all about another person and perscribe whatever.
Sadly, I agree with the following poster:

Thedollylala, does your friend rock a similar style as you or does she look more mainstream? Some people are horribly judgmental about these things and I'd wager he wanted to enforce a superiority complex over you. And between the way he treated you and they way he dismissed your friend with a prescription, I think it's obvious that he just doesn't care as a doctor.

OMG, that's straight out of Madmen! Doctors have absolutely no business in making personal comments to their patients. I'm glad that never happened to me when I was younger because I wouldn't have been able to handle it then either. But like you, now is a different story.

krampus
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM

I wonder if he molested some of his patients. That's so disgusting.

2fat2jump
05-16-2013, 03:39 PM
No he was just on the listof doctors that take tricare prime, the base is over an hour away from me. So I decided to find one close but yeah, not seeing him again.

Your post makes total sense after seeing you have Tricare. When DH was in the Navy I had nothing but problems with "doctors" and tricare. I still have slight hearing damage from getting sick and having to go to 6 different doctors before I could get antibiotics to help with an infection I had. Another time I had to literally beg for a referral to see a gyno.

Hopefully you find a better doctor!

ChickieChicks
05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
How upsetting!

I have had awesome experience with Tricare doctors...except one. And of course it was an OBGYN. My regular guy was out of town, and I had to go in while TTC, because I was experiencing horrible pain when sitting down. It felt like I was "sitting" on my uterus. So weird. They did a transvaginal u/s and there was a mass in my uterine wall.

This CRAZY doctor proceeds to tell me (without any lab work, etc.) that I am experiencing so much pain upon examination because he KNOWS I had an STD. There was no discharge or other factors to suggest an infection, just pain and a mass on the u/s. He goes on and on about how I am obviously NOT in a monogamous relationship with my husband, and that one of us better come clean. OMG!?! Total jerk.

I flipped my lid and spoke to the clinic manager. They rescheduled me for the next day, performed another u/s, lab work, ect, and discovered I had adenomyosis. A cyst within my uterine wall. It resolved itself naturally, and I was able to continue my fertility meds and eventually get preggers with my second child.

When I was in labor with that baby, psycho doctor was on call! To this day, I am THRILLED that my son took 32.5 hours to arrive, because my regular doctor ended up being there for the delivery. :)

novangel
05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
He goes on and on about how I am obviously NOT in a monogamous relationship with my husband, and that one of us better come clean.

:yikes:

OMG, these stories are insane.

Lecomtes
05-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Holy batsh1tcraziness! What the HECK?! I am so sorry that happened to you, he clearly is totally unprofessional (and possibly insane?). I cannot imagine my reaction to such treatment, probably tears or a good slap across his face. ;) Hope you can switch docs at least?

lunarsongbird
05-16-2013, 10:37 PM
http://rababkhan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/outraged-380x260.jpg

I'm outraged for you. AWFUL. (I have much worse words to use, but I don't think I'm allowed to post them.)

I'd actually probably report him.

seize the day
06-14-2013, 03:52 PM
When I was a teenager I started having these strange and painful episodes where I would lose consciousness, shake and convulse and then be completely bizarre afterward, tripping when I tried to walk, not being able to hold or carry things without dropping them of spilling, slurring my words, falling asleep out of no where- sometimes mid sentence, vomiting, being insatiably thirsty, etc.

My GP referred me to a neurologist. My mother explained what was happening, and after an MRI which came back mostly normal, he told my mom that I was faking it and clearly just being dramatic to get attention because I had a personality disorder.

He also wrote this in my medical file, and anytime I talked to any doctor from that point on, my mental health and stability was questioned to an extreme degree, one doctor even trying to put me on medication for schizophrenia saying that my "episodes" were from delusions that I had.

I dealt with this, went to a psychiatrist, was put on random and completely unhelpful medications, etc. for YEARS, before I went to a doctor, who in about 5 minutes of hearing my symptoms and looking at my MRI etc. determined that I have epilepsy. My mystery "episodes" are seizures.

Now I'm medicated for my seizures, on a diet to aid my brain health, and have not a seizure in 4 months. I'm healthier than I've ever been and it just took one good doctor to realize that the "personality disorder/schizophrenia" comments in my chart were way off base.

Bad doctors are the worst. A bad doctor ruined a big chunk of my teenage years. I'm so grateful to have found a doctor who trusts and believes me, and knows what he's talking about!!!

Side note: I too had an alternative look when my old doctor deemed me a liar with a personality disorder, I 100% believe that part of his diagnosis was my colorful hair, tattoos and clothing choices.

GlamourGirl827
06-14-2013, 04:52 PM

As a nurse, unless the doc SAID that, don't assume such a thing. You;d be surprised what we see, and really I think 99.999999% ESPECIALLY in the ER are soooooooooooooo past judging on appearance, lifesytle, drug habit (drug seekers), etc etc....if you are assuming that's why you were treated the way you were and now putting such a ridiculous idea in the OP's head, its sound more like a chip on your shoulder. Gees, tattoos Please! More people have them, than not! lol My DH works in the ER and he siad WE (he and I) are the abnormal ones for not having any (yet! cause I want to get one eventually). Many of the Doctors have tattoos and one of the most amazing doc's he works with has full sleeves, but you wouldn't know it because they are cover by his lab coat.

Sounds to me like you are judging people that don't have tattoos/piercings etc that they would poorly judge you and actually give you poor care because of it! omg, the three BIGGEST reasons people get "blown off" are 1. the healthcare provider is an @ss, and would have done it no matter what you look like. 2. YOU are an @ss, and the healthcare provider lets your sh!tty attitude affet how they treat you, which of course they shouldn't. No patient ever thinks it this one because no one ever wants to admit that they are an @ss. or 3. The issue is not as serious as the patient thinks, and they are given appropriate care but they *think* they are blown off, because they wanted more done when the situation did not warent it.

Now as for the OP, what that doctor said was completey inappropirate and unprofessional. I don't care what he thinks or believes, that should absolutaly NOT affect his care for you, and he should never ever have let his beliefs be known to you and actually suggest a different plan of care to fit his beliefs. I would try to make a formal complaint. And switch doctors. Really the guy just sounds like an @ss. Unfortunately I have met docs (and nurses) that just have no business being in healthcare. I'm sorry this guy was just a crumby doc. What he did was completely wrong and there was just no excuse for it. Unfortunately, unless he actually harms someone (malpractice) or does something of that nature, a hole docs just go on treating patients. You can also go on that rate my doc . com website and tell about what happened there. Its not much but maybe if you can steer other women away from him, you might help prevent this from happening to someone else.

There are a lot of great docs out there, I see this post is about a month old, I hope you have found a better one by this time :)

shcirerf
06-15-2013, 11:38 PM
While in the case of the op, I agree, the doc was a bu**.

A number of things can play into how we are treated when we go see a Dr.

I work in a medical setting, for a veterinarian. I have a son who used to be full time rad tech, and another son who is in law enforcement. And I have dealt with all kinds of BS for 2 years when my Dh, got hurt at work and had to have some fingers amputated. Then, the DH, out of the blue, got A-fib.:dizzy:

What I have learned.

Be honest with your health care provider. It does not matter if it's your dentist, gyno, eyes, the vet for your pet, whatever, be honest!

Next, be PROACTIVE! About you health care! If you have been honest, and are not happy with the care you are getting, move on!

Yes, medical professionals have a lot of education, but, that is not the end all be all.
They are still providing us with a service, that in one way or another is getting paid to them, and if you have been honest, and you are not happy with the service, move on!:D