Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

Default loose skin??

just curious.. i recently discovered that i can grab my skin ALL over and pull it out and lift it up and its like an all over skin suit thats way too big for me.. its pretty extreme and all over (mostly my torso the worst but also my arms a bit and legs etc).. ive only lost 60lbs and im still 194lbs so i dont have any legit hanging skin or skin that is really just skin and empty/hanging. i still have tons of fat under my skin.

i was wondering if its normal while losing weight to suddenly find that your skin is this loose and in this way and if this will go away and is typical/ maybe an obvious part of losing weight since your kind of deflating like a balloon..

or is this all over looseness just going to be the way it is now unless i get some serious surgery later down the weight loss road..which i could never afford.

i guess im curious to hear from other people if this happend to them and if and when it went away for the most part.

im 28 and i have been about 255lbs since i was in my early teens if that helps.

Last edited by deadkittens; 05-13-2013 at 08:22 PM.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I think you are likely to tighten up some, but not necessarily all the way. I have read people say that it took their skin a while to catch up with their loss.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/150/140

Height: 5'5

yes its totally normal ! i am going through the same thing, over time mine has started turning into loose empty loose folds of skin that wrinkle and crinkle up on its own. unfortunetly there is really no way of knowing how much loose skin you will have or the severity of it until your closer to your goal weight. some people who lose 100 + pounds have severe skin issues while others seem to have none at all..it all comes down to luck. its really best not to worry about it and just focus on loosing the rest of your weight first. Que Sera, Sera.
Tibbits2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255 195.8 150

Height: 5'6

im more curious to know if anyone has been at this stage and it totally went away and its just a stage everyone gets. i fully expect that when im at goal weight i will have the loose empty saggy skin..but it seems like this full body suit of loose moveable flesh would have to be different than that though.. not sure how to explain it proper.. none of my skin right now really sags or is empty, it looks fine just looks like im chubby but i can grab my skin anywhere and lift it a few inches to the left or right or lift it out etc.. is all this moveable skin with plenty of fat under it going to be loose empty skin later on? not sure how to properly get across my question here...lol

i guess i just want to hear someone elses experience with this and if its typical and normally goes away or if this is legit loose skin or just temporary loose skin that is normal and tightens up soon or eventually.

Last edited by deadkittens; 05-14-2013 at 02:54 AM.
deadkittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #5  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

I have had the same thing to a degree, but I fully expect to have some loose skin in certain places. I can say that, weirdly, my the skin on my breasts loosened up quite a bit a couple months ago, but they've now tightened back up to where they look normal. The same goes for on my stomach. I do have these itty bitty little rolls above my belly button on either side (it's really weird), and while the skin on my stomach has tightened up a little bit, I never expect my belly button to look like one of those very pretty belly buttons. My lower stomach has grown tighter again, but I imagine it won't look very pretty in the end. I've also noticed that there's some loose places under my arms (still with fat under it, like yourself) that hasn't become the typical sagging, wrinkled loose skin, but I imagine that it might.

So, to answer your question, in my experience while I've been losing weight, I have become deflated in certain areas, especially after a whoosh. This has tightened up, loosened, and tightened up again to a degree, but I expect that I might have loose skin in these areas as I get closer to goal. I guess we'll see after that how much it will tighten.

ETA: I was in the 220's for most of my teens and first couple years of my twenties. Hit my all-time high of 245 and stayed there for a couple months a little over a year ago.

Last edited by Song of Surly; 05-14-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have loose skin, it has not gone away and I don't expect it to. I just keep my clothes on and nobody knows. I have decided against a tummy tuck due to other health issues.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/152

Height: 5'6''

I understand what you're saying because I noticed the same earlier this month. I've lost 46 pounds in 6 months and when I look in the mirror I don't see loose skin anywhere. However, if I grab around the belly button/breasts the skin isn't attached to the fat. It feels weird because it's the first time in my life my skin is separated from the 'flesh' below. I guess we have to wait and see what happens :/

btw I'm 29 and have been 220-240lbs since 17.
pumpkinpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

Have been over 200 pounds since I was 13, over 250 since I was 19, and at/over 350 from 2006-2011. I lost 160 pounds since December 31, 2010 and am scheduled for a tummy tuck and breast lift on June 6th. On February 14, 2013 (208 pounds), I had my first visit with my surgeon, and he predicted he would take off 10-12 pounds. I worked really hard to loose more, and when I saw him last Friday (190 pounds), he said he would definitely be taking off more than the 10-12 he predicted before.

It did not tighten up. Ever. Even with stalls/exercise/toning. It just got worse. But I think I am an apple/inverted triangle, and carry all the weight and now, loose skin, in my breasts and stomach/back.
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote