Weight Loss Support - Inspirational Quotes/Phrases.

View Full Version : Inspirational Quotes/Phrases.

slw2013
05-12-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm working on an inspiration/motivation collage/wall thing. I'm going to fill it with pictures of things I want - awesome shoes, to dance, babies, pretty dresses, stuff like that - but I want to put some words on there too. So far I'm thinking "Don't dream it, be it" from Rocky Horror. But I was wondering if you had any suggestions for other phrases/quotes that could work.

Or, you know, just inspire. :)

GMNEVO
05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
"If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up"

"Suck it up and someday you won't have to suck it in"

"When you feel like quitting think about why you started"

"I'm not there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

I have some on my kitchen so when I dive in I stay on plan :) Good luck!

Just Dance Girl
05-12-2013, 01:31 PM
How about that one about dancing in the rain? Something like "don't wait for the rain to stop, learn to dance in the rain". But it's better than that.

IanG
05-12-2013, 01:46 PM
If I'm honest, the best ones are what other people say about me, sometimes negative, sometimes positive.

My favorite at the moment has to be the thinnest, fittest guy at work. This guy runs 10 miles to work most days and eats salad for lunch. We get on very well and discuss what's in the salad bar at work every day. He's my go-to nutrtionist. And he also gives me tips on running (apparently a one percent incline on a treadmill is a good way to simulate running for real outside).

Anyway, a few weeks ago at a work happy hour I overhead him (pretended not to notice) talking about me and saying to another colleague, "I know, but I could not have done that from where he was coming from."

I have been pretty thrilled about that.

Tuscany
05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, there's the phrase my son is fond of telling me:

"It's a WORK-out, not a play-out"

And, there's the one I tell myself. The background to this one is that I was slim when I was younger and I've put weight on over the years. So, I like to think:

"What goes up must come down" ! :)

Missy Krissy
05-12-2013, 02:09 PM
"Just keep swimming!" - Dory from Finding Nemo

"Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard." - 3FC

bargoo
05-12-2013, 03:05 PM
"Being fat is hard
Dieting is hard
Maintaining your loss is hard
Choose your hard ."

RavenWolf
05-12-2013, 04:59 PM
"Just keep swimming!" - Dory from Finding Nemo

"Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Choose your hard." - 3FC

I LOVE these!!! :) I sing the Dory quote to myself quite often! LOL!!

I also tell myself "Don't GIVE up....GET up!" on days I'm really having a hard time! :D

GordonGirl16
05-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Just Dance Girl - "life is not waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

ikesgirl80
05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
"You've come too far to be controlled by a cookie" ~ I read that on 3FC somewhere. Anyone want to claim it?

SuperHeroTeacher
05-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I have an entire board on Pinterest of inspiring quotes. This is the only one that I think fits for weight loss/fitness.

Love yourself first, and everything else falls into place. - Lucille Ball.

elvislover324
05-12-2013, 08:27 PM
"I'm stronger than my challenges and my challenges are making me stronger." (from Pinterest)

"When I exercise, I wear all black. It's a funeral for my fat." (Saw that here on 3FC)

Novus
05-13-2013, 08:09 AM
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb431/HerRoyalOrangeness/ae4e6e53-a353-462a-a38b-f942524f25eb_zpsa0858a31.jpg

Wannabeskinny
05-13-2013, 09:11 AM
The quotes I live by are in my signature. Here's a couple more:

"Those who argue for their limitations generally get to keep them."

"If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse"

Also, I've made inspirational boards, I have a couple. It helps me to make them separate though. I made one for weightloss/health, and one for happiness/goals. They're both in my walk-in closet, just for me.

wannaskipandlaugh
05-25-2013, 12:45 PM
This is alittle long.. but I have this taped to my mirror in my bathroom:

YOU are destined to succeed! There's a recipe for success: start with a dream, add drive and a dash (or more) of patience and never, ever leave out hope. You've got all the ingredients inside you. There is NO stopping you now!

I find wonderful words of wisdom in (don't laugh) Woman's World magazine... the one with the new miracle diet every week. But their clippings of encouragement are just awesome!

tehshort1
05-25-2013, 12:51 PM
"You don't have to be great to start. You have to start to be great."

elvislover324
05-25-2013, 01:06 PM
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

Love your quotes too!

elvislover324
05-25-2013, 01:10 PM
I have another one too (my Pinterest collection has about 500 quotes and I love every single one of them!):

"If you want or need something, visualize it in your mind and the Universe will provide the way for you to have it. It is good energy attracting good energy. Think well and you will live well."

KindaSortaAthlete
05-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Great thread! Love reading the responses :)

Some of my favorites:

You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

Actually, I just woke up one day and decided I didn't want to feel like that anymore, or ever again. So I changed. Just like that.

Far from what I once was, but not yet what I'm going to be.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Strong is what happens when you run out of weak.

I'm gonna make the rest of my life the best of my life.

Still time to change the road you're on.

If you want something you've never had then you've got to do something you've never done.

You can't have a better tomorrow if you don't stop thinking about yesterday.

Everything is ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.

A person often meets her destiny on the road she took to avoid it.

You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

At any given moment you have the power to say this is NOT how the story is going to end.

A year from now you will have wished you started today.

You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be.

The voice in your head that says you can't do this is a liar.

You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow. You choose.

And my ultimate favorites, in my avatar and sig:

Do not let perfection stand in the way of progress.

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Whoa, sorry so long! I love quotes!! ;)

curvynotlumpy
05-25-2013, 03:39 PM
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." — Mark Twain.

Love, love, love this quote! For far too long I made everyone else and their needs a priority and became optional in my own life. Only when I made myself a priority in my own life did I find success.

KindaSortaAthlete
05-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Curvy - that's a great one!

wannaskipandlaugh
05-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Oh curvey WOW that is a Powerful one! I am writing that with a sharpy for my refrig!!!!

curvynotlumpy
05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Curvy - that's a great one!

Oh curvey WOW that is a Powerful one! I am writing that with a sharpy for my refrig!!!!

Thanks, ladies :hug: I appreciate that you find it powerful as well. Yet, even having this as one of my internal mantras did not prevent me from deprioritizing myself in my most recent relationship (have since broken up). More lessons learned and for that I'm grateful.

SwallowedintheSea
05-26-2013, 05:25 PM
You can either cry about it or do something about it. The choice is yours.

You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.

When there is no struggle, there is no strength.

However long the night, the dawn will break.

Tough times never last but tough people do.

I love your idea! (:

trainermikem
05-26-2013, 08:16 PM
“Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.”
Wayne W. Dyer

TheSecondHalf
05-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Run while you can.

Good things come to those who work their butts off.

She believed she could so she did.

SeeMyFeet
05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
"Disgust is a powerful motivator"......says me when I arise from my nightly bath and look straight across to the ill-placed mirror....I have some serious denial about my appearance sometimes.....

"get up! Get up! Get Up! GET UP! GET UP!!!!!

Riddy
05-26-2013, 11:39 PM
From Pinterest -

Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

You don't have to go fast, you just have to GO.

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

This is a slow process. Don't get discouraged.

When feeling overwhelmed by a faraway goal, repeat the following - I have it in me right now, to get me to where I want to be later.

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Running, cheaper than therapy.

'Cause I'd rather be sore now than sorry tomorrow.

Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.

There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.

elvislover324
05-27-2013, 12:06 AM
She believed she could so she did.

Love this one. I feel like it represents my life right now. I had no choice but to believe I could lose this weight. So I did.

SeeMyFeet
05-27-2013, 12:49 AM
...niiiiiiice!....

--To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. Elbert Hubbard
--The greatest mistake you can make in life is continually fearing that you'll make one. Elbert Hubbard
--A retentive memory may be a good thing, but the ability to forget is the true token of greatness. Elbert Hubbard
--The best way to predict the future is to create it. Abraham Lincoln
--People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily. Zig Ziglar
--I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. Bill Cosby
--Many of life’s failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Edison
--The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It's your mind you have to convince. Vincent Lombardi
--Success is a staircase, not a doorway. Dottie Walters
--Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. Chinese Proverb
--Those who wish to sing, always find a song. Swedish Proverb
--In eating, a third of the stomach should be filled with food, a third with drink and the rest left empty. Talmud
--Stumbling is not falling. Portuguese Proverb
--The rest of the world lives to eat, while I eat to live. Socrates
--Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic. Anonymous
--If you focus on results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results. Jack Dixon

Wannabeskinny
05-27-2013, 09:25 AM
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." — Mark Twain.

Love, love, love this quote! For far too long I made everyone else and their needs a priority and became optional in my own life. Only when I made myself a priority in my own life did I find success.

I love Mark Twain quotes! This one is not about success but I love it anyway just had to share it!

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” Mark Twain

wannaskipandlaugh
05-27-2013, 09:35 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wannabeskinny.. you had me laughing so hard as this is so true!!!

Nikel1979
05-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Some of these might be repeats; I just skimmed. Here are some of my faves from my pinterest.

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try.

It hurts now, but one day it will be your warm up.

The moment you are ready to quit is usually the moment right before the miracle happens.

Goals are all about focusing on what is ahead of you, but every so often you need to turn around and see how far you've come.

If I can't be the girl who is in first place... or second place... or fifth place... or twentieth place... I want to be the girl who keeps showing up anyway.

Never give up on a dream because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Making a big life change is scary. But you know what's even scarier? Regret.

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Sometimes you just have to pull up your big girl panties and do it whether you want to or not.

The voice in your head that says you can't do this is a liar.

This one is more running specific, but I love it. It got me through my half marathon in a downpour.

I am a distance runner. I've been trained to keep going even when it's hard. When it hurts. When it sucks. When I don't want to. I look past it. Relentless forward progress to the finish. Call it what you want, stubbornness, determination, endurance, guts. Deep down, I don't know how to give up. (And it's always worth it in the end.)

Riddy
05-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Ooh, I forgot about the one that's on my actual dream board -

Every woman deserves to love her body

Love it! And I'm working on it!

SeeMyFeet
05-27-2013, 06:42 PM
I can't resist. :lol3: These are too cute:

The belly is ungrateful--it always forgets we already gave it something. Russian Proverb

I tried every diet in the book. I tried some that weren't in the book. I tried eating the book. It tasted better than most of the diets. Dolly Parton

I tried the Scarsdale diet and the Stillman water diet (you remember that one, where you run weight off trying to get to the bathroom). Dolly Parton

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks. Joe E. Lewis

Never eat more than you can lift. Miss Piggy

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people. Orson Welles

When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won't dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn't taste that bad. Janette Barber

Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends.

Wannabeskinny
07-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Just thought of a couple more.

“Exercise your NO muscle.”

“Someone much busier than you is on a treadmill right now.”

Wannabeskinny
08-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I like this one: "Hunger is a muscle. If it doesn't burn a little then you're not working it hard enough."

Amy Remixed
08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
These are great.

When I started this journey five weeks ago, I posted a comment on a general forum site about my weight loss goals. Most people said something positive and supportive. But there was one anonymous comment that stuck with me...

"Good luck fatty."

When I want to sleep in and ditch my workout, I say that to myself. Boom! I'm up!

dehtripper
08-12-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm sure there's many versions of this and I'm not sure of who said it, but I love:

"What you think about, you bring about"

PreciousMissy
08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
You can't get it finished if you don't get it started.

Lass22
08-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Open your mind to new possibilities...