Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/130/135

Height: 5'1

Default Getting used to the "new" me.

So I hit my goal weight last week and have decided to go for a few more, my trouble is adjusting to my new size. I'm not sure how to dress for my age (41) since I haven't been this size in over 15 years. I'm so stuck on buying clothes to big. I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone had problems shopping for new clothing once your goal was met??
Canadiandieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #2  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandieter View Post
So I hit my goal weight last week and have decided to go for a few more, my trouble is adjusting to my new size. I'm not sure how to dress for my age (41) since I haven't been this size in over 15 years. I'm so stuck on buying clothes to big. I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone had problems shopping for new clothing once your goal was met??
Congratulations on reaching your goal!!! It's funny, I know exactly what you mean about not knowing how to buy clothes for the new you. I am only half way to my goal, but had to buy some new scrubs for work. I came in all excited about my new, better fitting scrubs and my friend looked at me and said, "they're cute, but they're still too big!". I've been dressing to hide my body for 10 years. It's a hard habit to break.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

Congratulation for reaching goal, what a proud accomplishment!

I'm not at goal yet , but I know how you feel. I still picture the 177 pound me and when I walk by the mirror I am surprised. I too have been dressing to hide my body for so long that when I do go clothes shopping (at goal) I'm sure I will have to bring my husband or friend to be my reality check. I think this will take us a while to wrap our brains around!

Last edited by Happymomof2; 05-08-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #4  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Congratulations on reaching your goal! I think a lot of us have been there, not knowing how to buy smaller clothes. I do recommend taking someone with you that you trust, and who can be frank with you about how things fit, styles, etc. Happy shopping!
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #5  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

Congrats!!!! I agree with greeniris about taking someone with you when you go shopping. I usually bring my sister but if I do happen to go alone I take a picture in the change room and send it to her for her advice ...and I'll leave the change room in the outfit and ask the salesperson what they think. It's an adjustment that's for sure...a good one! I still do a double take when I walk by a mirror...wonder how long that will last?
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/153/140

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I am right there with you, hit goal and am struggling with picking the right size. Was a tight 12 when I started and have moved into a loose 8. For poops and grins I tried on a 6 this weekend, it fit and of course I bought it. I may leave the tag on for everyone to see the size. It is hard to see ourselves for who we are.

Am also struggling with moving to phase 3. Hit my original goal of 140 then changed it to 135 to give myself room. Am a couple of pounds below that now and hope that I am ready to commit to moving on.

Congrats, you have done great.
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #7  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Yep! Take a friend.

I've shopped 2 times so far... My daughter is trying to get me into "cute" clothes, and I feel they are too young (she's 15 and giggles when we are sharing clothing). The second time I was with a high school buddy of mine, so we're the same age (almost 40) she was very good at helping pick out "appropriate" clothing. Not old and frumpy (because that's how I've dressed for a decade) and not teenage.

Oh, be sure to take a friend who knows how to look good! Another friend wasn't so helpful...she dresses how I've dressed for so long.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/153/140

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My son and only child is getting married in 6 weeks which was one of my reasons for starting my journey.

My gown is very much out of my comfort zone which is what I asked for. Had told my future daughter in law not to let me buy a frumpy old lady dress. I was 25 pounds heavier and sweating at the thought of wearing some of the gowns I tried on.

Today, the gown is undergoing major alterations. It is a size 14 and I am now a size 10 in a gown. In order for me to do what I really look like I have to really concentrate on looking in the mirror because I still see the woman that weighed 25 pounds heavier.

It is hard to see who we are.
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetylady View Post
It is hard to see who we are.
THIS is so very true.

My husband and I were just talking about this the other day. When I look in the mirror, what I SEE is the same big thighs, big rear that I've always had. When I look down at my body, I see myself the same way I did before I started the diet. My HEAD knows that the clothes in my closet are size 6 and 8 when they used to be an 18. But my brain has had a lot of trouble catching up with that

Definitely bring someone to go shopping with you. And don't be afraid to reach for sizes you never dreamed of! I swore I'd be my thinnest at a size 12....we see how that worked out
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I agree - it's definitely an adjustment.

I'm always pleasantly shocked when I see myself in mirrors when I'm out and about... I somehow look slimmer in other mirrors than I do in my home full-length one, and it still startles me. It's hard not to preen a little!
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/163/130

Height: 5'2"

I have been buying a more fitted style of clothes than I wore before. Before it was long tops & leggings. Now jeans with a petite top so that it isn't so long.

Have fun with it!
Wild wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandieter View Post
Neat, you are the same size I want to get back down too, I am 5'1" and got down to 130. I am 10 up from that now but when I look back 135 was wher I felt best and I want to get back to that by the summer.
I am a lot older and a pet peeve of mine is older woman forgetting they are not 17 anymore. But at 41 you are at the prime of your life and have lots of leaway in your choices. Be careful you don't go the other way and go for things too conservative. Have fun!!

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #13  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Shopping is more enjoyable because I feel I have more options and am happier with how I look in clothes....but it's also challenging because I haven't really accepted my new size yet. It definitely helps to go with a friend who has a sense of style and/or to ask the sales people or other shoppers for their opinions. I went shopping a few weeks ago and got a bunch of nice cropped pants for work in a size 4 (I have never been a 4 and could barely believe that was my size!). I tried everything on when I got home to be sure they looked good in a real mirror (vs. a crafty dressing room mirror), and they were all too big. I had to return them and get a size 2. Just writing here that I am wearing a size 2 is kind of freaking me out
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #14  
Getting there!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/158

Height: 5'6

I am adjusting to going back to the old me. I have been overweight for 13 years and just getting back to the person I remember in the mirror. My style is the same (maybe that is bad) and I am in a size 10-12 down from a tight 16. Still have 13 lbs to go......waiting to buy more clothes until I get closer but I will have to take someone. I know I will buy too big, I have not been smaller than a 10 with a grown up body. Numbers have power!
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 289 / see tracker / 160

OMG! reading through these posts its ME! its funny how you don't always see yourself as you are. and especially now that I am losing the weight the picture in my head does not fit and I never really realized that that was what is happening

Thank you all for sharing, it was a huge "yes" moment for me
itzconni3 is offline   Reply With Quote