Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/143/130

Height: 5'4"

Default is Medifast right for me?

Hi all, need some advice. I recently moved and my new apartment is located next door to a Medifast-type center, with a doctor who is paid by Medifast, so I would get his services for free and just pay for the food.

I have a meeting with the doctor this evening, but after doing a lot of research (this forum is incredibly helpful btw) I have some concerns.

Any diet that restricts fruit and some veggies sort of disturbs me. I eat fruit several times a day, and mixed veggies regularly. I'm honestly not sure I could handle not eating them. Pasta, alcohol, breads.. yes, these are to be expected on most diets. But I can't eat apples? Clementines? Bananas?

The food itself is another issue, my mom tried Nutrisystem a few years back and said the food was just inedible. I don't want to put forth all this cash on food that is just garbage. If that's the case, I'd rather just not eat and lose weight that way.

I have approximately 20 lbs to lose, with 30 being my "desired" loss. Do any of you have insight into whether this is right for me? Is it sustainable in the long run, or am I just going to gain it all back after transitioning back to normal foods?

Thanks!
citygirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #2  

Things I should have added: I am 23, on a sort of tight budget due to just moving on my own for the first time, exercise rigorously 2-4 times a week, and just have an incredibly hard time losing any weight. I lost about 13 lbs on my own and have plateaued since then.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/168/125

Height: 5'4

the reason you aren't allowed fruits and specific vegies is because the main idea of the diet is to put the body into ketosis. fruit=sugar sugar=carbs too many carbs=never going into ketosis. The diet is perfectly balanced to give you all the nutrients your body will need so vitamins and minerals you usually get from your high carb fruits and veggies won't be an issue. if you fear the flavor of the food...keep in mind it is diet food and pact with nutrients....so it won't taste like yummy fattening foods. Look into the "Keto Diet" maybe.....it'll probably save you a little money.....but you'll be cooking all of your food
SaraSweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #4  

thanks! I took the plunge, I'm finally ready to do this for ME. To be healthy for ME. I bought five weeks of food and I keep telling myself I am worth that investment. I can always make the money back, but the happiness I will feel once I'm healthy is worth every penny.

Now I'm excited to get the package!