Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Why r so many dresses so short?

Hello there,

I'm a bit frustrated shopping for dresses. I'm 42 years old and everywhere I read that women over 40 should never EVER wear a dress that is cut above the knee. Ok, I can accept that (although I would break that rule if I was wearing dark tights), but why is it that just about every dress I see is so short? Am I shopping in the wrong department? I'm not shopping in stores for teens. I'm also more comfortable with longer dresses so I buy a lot of maxi dresses but there are so many cute dresses that I'd want to wear that I'm not even comfortable wearing because of how short they are. It's one thing to deal with size, but length too? Don't these designers want to make $? Why don't they design clothes for everyone?

Sorry for the little rant. I have a wedding to go to in August and was just looking online and it just frustrated me I guess.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/217/160

Height: 5'4"

I have noticed that there are many longer dresses in department stores like Macy's, Nordstrom's and JC Penny's. They are usually in the business casual sections. Very classy and sexy. Happy shopping!
siakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I'm annoyed by this, too! I just bought a dress for a wedding from Lands End that was really pretty. It was this, but in a pattern that must be sold out since it's not on their site anymore. They have a ton of pretty dresses on their site. I bought 4 different dresses, each in 2 sizes, at 25% - 40% off, to come up with something I liked LOL. Now I'm off to the mall to return all but 1. What a weird business model!

newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #4  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I buy my dresses from places that carry talls. I like Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic and Loft.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Thank you ladies! I do find long dresses but I find that they're either maxi or mini with very little in between. To make things more complicated, I'm a pear shaped figure so if the dress goes straight down, then it's way too tight on the bottom or too huge on the top. I do love the maxi dresses and skirts that are so trendy right now. I just hope that trend continues because even at my lightest weight, I still have to be very determined to find things that fit and flatter.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote