Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default I really need a "routine".

Do any of you have a routine based around biking? I posted a thread a week or so ago and didn't get any responses.

Is going slower for a long time better, or going a moderate speed for only 25 minutes (which I did today)?

I'm confident, comfortable and enjoy biking so far. I am actually not discouraged like I was with running. But I don't really know how to set my goals.

One things for sure, going with the wind makes a huge difference. Though I'm still out of breath.

Thoughts? Advice? Anything?

Last edited by Remington90; 05-06-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #2  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

I have a new bike that I've been riding for about a week now, & riding is a lot tougher than I remember it being when I was a kid! I can't ride very far yet but I like to do interval training within the time I do ride, such as the Tabata method. The Tabata method, if you aren't familiar with it, consists of all-out hard work for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest which goes on for four minutes.

So what I do is pedal as hard as I can (or as hard as I can without fear of crashing) for 20 seconds, then coast for 10 & repeat for a total of 8 cycles. It's a simple concept but it's really effective. Here's an interesting article about it, and another.

This is an article on several different interval training methods for cycling.

Last edited by Keep Moving Forward; 05-07-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington90 View Post
Do any of you have a routine based around biking? I posted a thread a week or so ago and didn't get any responses.

Is going slower for a long time better, or going a moderate speed for only 25 minutes (which I did today)?

I'm confident, comfortable and enjoy biking so far. I am actually not discouraged like I was with running. But I don't really know how to set my goals.

One things for sure, going with the wind makes a huge difference. Though I'm still out of breath.

Thoughts? Advice? Anything?
I am glad you're biking--that is great exercise! Here are a couple of links that may help you.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Training-Pro...ycling-2739613

http://www.livestrong.com/article/23...r-weight-loss/

My Nephew is a competitor in many mountain bike races--the longest being 50 miles over mountain trails. But he works out on a spinning bike in his basement to stay fit in winter, as we can't ride bikes here in Colorado during the winter months.

There appears to be lots of information on the internet concerning bike riding for exercise and tips--and goals to set. The second link--gives a lot of information regarding that.

Good riding and have some fun while you're at it.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-07-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #4  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Hey! I responded!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...-cyclists.html

For someone just starting out, I wouldn't worry about things like cadence yet. I'd just get out there and get comfortable. You should feel like your bike is just second skin. Ride for 30 minutes and then for 45 minutes. Slowly build up until you feel like you're ready for more. If you go too hard too fast you'll burn out. Mix it up - do long and slow (endurance rides) and then fast and hard (pacing).

You can google training plans - but I found it really overwhelmed me when I started. Now, I ride 40-60 miles/week easily. DH and I are doing a 45 miler this weekend!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #5  

I try to ride my bike for the sake of riding my bike (enjoying the sights, getting from point A to point B, etc.) and just think of the exercise benefit as an added bonus.

My bike is improving my quality of life and it's awesome!! But like KeepMovingForward above, it took a bit to learn to ride again! I'm more focused right now on keeping steady and safe (do I need training wheels again!?) and then maybe I'll get more into speed and time.

Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride and I love it!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #6  

Thank you all for the links and words!

Fattitude, I didn't even see that! SO SORRY! I remember looking a couple days after and when I scrolled over it, the little envelope was blue. Should have looked closer.

Thanks again !

Last edited by Remington90; 05-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Moving Forward View Post
I have a new bike that I've been riding for about a week now, & riding is a lot tougher than I remember it being when I was a kid! I can't ride very far yet but I like to do interval training within the time I do ride, such as the Tabata method. The Tabata method, if you aren't familiar with it, consists of all-out hard work for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest which goes on for four minutes.

So what I do is pedal as hard as I can (or as hard as I can without fear of crashing) for 20 seconds, then coast for 10 & repeat for a total of 8 cycles. It's a simple concept but it's really effective. Here's an interesting article about it, and another.

This is an article on several different interval training methods for cycling.
Those articles were wonderful. Opened my eyes to a whole new thought process and idea. I'm going to slowly incorporate that into my biking and see how I do (and hopefully I don't keal over) haha.