Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat May 6 - May 12

BillBlueEyes
05-06-2013, 07:05 AM
It was brilliant weather to be out in western Mass to climb one of small 'mountains.' Clear views in all directions. Wildflowers believing in spring. Not many birds in the air.

The best part about being out all day is that snacking is easily under control. I am so ready for summer.

Mudpie
05-06-2013, 07:56 AM
I might be finalizing the deal on a house :eek: in the next couple of days - depends on how the building inspection goes and what my DH's boss (contractor) says about moving some stairs. :crossed:

It's a detached house with a yard and parking. Beautiful garden all ready to go, deck with walk out from large living room, etc. And it's within walking distance to the subway - sorta. :D

There are positives and negatives and I'm hoping the positives outweigh the negatives. We shall see. I forsee :wizard: lots of reno in the future but that's the only way we get to have a house with some space and privacy so we'll take it - I think! :lol:

We are also waiting to hear back about Mudpie's tests. She will probably need surgery and I hope she survives what's ahead. She is still a great cat, even @ almost 16. It would be very sad to lose her but I think she'll pull through this - she has the spirit of a bengal tiger! :yes:

Dagmar :chin:

saef
05-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Oh, sweet weekend, where have you flown, and why did you leave me so soon?

Dagmar, I'm remembering Fritz's last few days while reading about Mudpie, and wishing your cat the best and that the test results show something treatable. Also good luck on your house negotiations.

I'm hearing stuff about our Zoning Board variance request that depresses me to no end. You'll recall we submitted material on it in January. Since February, it's been repeatedly adjourned into the next month. One of my neighbors, a lawyer, says this signals the Board plans to reject it but wants us to give up & go away first, to avoid a confrontation which would look bad. She also says she feels that "the fix is in" because of local politicians that live in nearby neighborhoods and the historically dirty politics of the city that we live in. Also, if the variance is approved or not, either our lawyers or our neighbors' lawyers will sue afterward. All the other side wants to due is delay, delay, and they are winning because they have delayed us for more than four months.

This is a day with three meetings, the most difficult of which will happen about an hour from now. I'm anxious now, but I know, I'll be a different woman when it's over, having somehow gotten through a negotiation on behalf of one of my direct reports.

WardHog
05-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Good morning!

Congratulations on the house, Dagmar!

There are only a couple more weeks left in the school year, as I am reminded every day. Must cram it all in ...

alinnell
05-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Good morning!

There was an odd bird on the golf course this weekend. I tried to take a photo so someone could help identify it, but it flew away. Maybe it'll still be there next weekend.

We went to see Iron Man 3 yesterday. Such a fun and funny movie.

Great news on the house, Dagmar! I hope Mudpie will be okay. It's so hard when our pets ail.

Sorry about the zoning board problems Saef. We're experiencing some strange goings-on at the RV park where we own a lot. There seems to be a lot of infighting on the board between the old guard and the newbies on the board. It has caused resignations and other stuff. Normally during the summer we open our lot to renters and they handle it all in the front office. Now we're being told we'll have to find our own renters and the company that has been renting and selling in the front office for 16 years suddenly found their lease terminated with no warning. It really makes me mad, but not mad enough to run for a board position!

Tonight are the school awards for DS. We'll see how many he winds up with. He didn't make the top 10 in his class (knew he wouldn't--he's usually around #13). But we do know at least 5 of the top 10 kids! Graduation is just 3 weeks away, but AP tests this week and next will consume DS's time. Then it's time for all the senior fun--Disneyland, the beach trip, special meals.

traveling michele
05-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Wishing you good thoughts all around Dagmar!!

And for those of us getting through the last weeks of school-- Hurrah! We're almost there!!

Dh came home yesterday but he leaves tomorrow morning to drive to Arizona to pick up dd from college. I was depressed when I figured out how little I'll actually see him this trip before he leaves again for China in less than two weeks. Sigh. Should be a challenging couple of weeks. We go up Friday (after work) for older dd's master's graduation. She is doing great in her weight loss efforts so we are going to try not to derail her with too many splurge meals while we're there.

Another busy week at work for me. I only have classes coming to the library for three more weeks, then I have to start preparing for inventory.

krampus
05-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone,

I grossly overate all weekend (visited friends in NYC and ate bagels and burgers and the like) and drifted into "am I binging?" territory yesterday at a party. Going to focus on making choices that don't make me feel gross. I look forward to not feeling so oversalted my fingers can barely type.

Tudor Rose
05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone! I know I was here for a few weeks and then went MIA for, like, months. That's cause I totally fell off the wagon and went into a binging period and gained some of the weight back. Blah. But this nicer warmer weather is helping me get back on track! I'm still above where I need to be but I feel like I'm making much better strides and will get back down to my happy weight and finally figure this maintenance thing out!

I knew this part of my journey would be difficult but I was completely unprepared for HOW difficult!

bargoo
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Tudor Rose, welcome back and good luck. You have done a great job and I am sure you will make it the rest of the way.

traveling michele
05-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Tudor Rose-- welcome back....

Krampus-- hydrate and don't beat yourself up!!

Shannon in ATL
05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Dagmar - good thoughts on the house, and on Mudpie.

I'm thinking I'm finally recovered from the stomach mess I picked up from DH last week. It beat me down hard, him too. Both of us were pretty much worthless for close to 7 days. I still feel tired and bloated today, but have been mostly able to keep food down. I'm ready to feel rested and healthy again. I haven't exercised in over a week, and just don't have it in me today either. Had to get up at 5am to go teach a safety class to our catering drivers at a location over an hour away from my house, then had to drive back in morning rush hour traffic to volunteer at the charity golf tournament that my company co sponsors. In a great splash of irony, they relocated the tourney to a new golf club this year after 12 years in the old place that was about 40 minutes away from me. This year it was five miles from my house. SO. Of course I had to start the day with a 50 mile drive one way to teach and a 50 mile drive back within four hours to spend the day 5 miles from home. I'm worn out.

Had to punish DSS all weekend - four nights in a row he was at our house for the first time in months, grounded all four. Hit someone at school last week and got suspended.

Our annual Mother's Day luncheon was this past weekend, at a restaurant in the town where they film The Walking Dead. We saw the 'Woodbury Town Hall' and some other notable places, and had our choice of such pasta dishes as 'The Lori' and 'The Walker Stalker'. I don't watch the show, but my SIL who does was greatly entertained. I had a fried green tomato BLT for lunch and had my first ever pimento cheese, with Mississippi Mud Pie for dessert. All while wearing a prissy dress and drinking fancy soda with all the women I love in my life around me. I told my family that I finally feel appropriately Southern. I even drawled a little when I got home just for effect. ;)

alinnell
05-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a fun Mother's Day luncheon, Shannon! Sorry to hear about the continued trouble with DS. And I'm glad you're feeling better.

Tudor Rose~we all fall off the wagon from time to time. If you need help getting back on, check out the Maintainers Springing into Summer thread. It's for those of us that need that extra uumph to get back on track.

I'm so proud of my DS! Last night was the annual awards night at his school. While we knew he'd get high honor roll and the cords for 4 years in a subject with better than C grades, we got a couple unexpected surprises. The first was his inclusion in the National Honor Society. None of his friends got in! I think there were only 15 or so seniors that got that. Next was the Math Department award. One senior is chosen for department awards each year (Math, English, Foreign Language, Science, etc.--just 7 or 8 given). The Valedictorian got the science department award and one of DS's friends got Foreign Language and one other that I don't remember. I think the only thing he didn't get was to be one of the top 10 in his class. We think he's about #13.

ICUwishing
05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
:wave:

I'm lurking; there just hasn't been much to report. :) My ticker's accurate, I'm on day 15 of alcohol-free (19 to go) - other than that, I simply have my head down and am focusing on making it to the end of June.

bargoo
05-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Allison, congratulations on your sons achievements , not only a smart boy but good parenting.

Shannon in ATL
05-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Congrats to DS, Allison! That is awesome!

ICUwishing
05-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Allison - major congrats! That's gotta feel oh-so-awesome for all of you!

traveling michele
05-07-2013, 03:35 PM
You done good Allison (said with my Southern drawl!)

BillBlueEyes
05-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Congratulations to Allison's DS for those achievements.

Mudpie
05-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Congratulations to Allison's DS for those achievements.

What Bill said Allison - :congrat:

Dagmar :D

Mudpie
05-07-2013, 07:10 PM
My new house - :woohoo: :dance:

http://40crewemls.blogspot.ca/

July 22 is closing day - :cp:

Dagmar :hyper: :twirly:

BillBlueEyes
05-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Honking Congrats, Dagmar - it looks ready to move it without any work.

(Can you change the music once you get there?)

saef
05-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Dagmar, your house has a theme song! It looks rather like a prewar bungalow, with that deep porch overhang. This is fantastic, when a woman buys her own home. I never felt so powerful as when I signed those papers with no one's name on the deed but my own. Hang in there through all the last-minute paperwork that comes up between now & the closing. I felt very lucky I'd worked in law firms years ago & knew all the stupid little things that can delay a closing, because mine was delayed beyond the target date, though at least it closed in the same month as planned.

Allison, congratulations to your son. I think I'm not clear on the amount & gender of your offspring. Is this the youngest one & the last one not in college? If so, that may make the awards ceremony that much sweeter.

I just came home from the grocery store, wrestling a pork loin of enormous dimensions encased in Cryovac, over which I'm refraining (with great difficulty) making really dirty jokes. I'll cut it up for a couple roasts and chunks for stew. It looks like a pre-evolution ancestor of something.

alinnell
05-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Congratulations, Dagmar! It looks wonderful!

Mudpie
05-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Honking Congrats, Dagmar - it looks ready to move it without any work.

(Can you change the music once you get there?)

:lol: Bill sorry I never use the computer with the sound on - I will definitely change the music once I'm there!

Dagmar :lol3:

bargoo
05-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Congratulations , Dagmar. It looks very inviting and cozy.

neurodoc
05-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Dagmar - what a great house, and truly in "move in" condition. I'm sure you're feeling that July can't come fast enough. Congrats.

Steph7409
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Dagmar, congrats on the house! It looks quite livable and the yard looks lovely. Any update on Mudpie?

Allison, your son's accomplishments are quite impressive. Kudos to you all.

We're finally getting some nice weather here so I did a lot of yard work over the weekend. I generally spend every weekend in May buying annuals and planting them in various containers. I have lots of containers so a carload of flowers hardly makes a dent! There's a farmer's market nearby where a few vendors set up shop for the season, so I get very familiar with them.

I've managed to do some walking, even though I'm limping worse than ever these days. I'm getting a cortisone shot on Friday and am hoping it helps. I can ride my recumbent exercise bike without too much pain but I'm feeling increasingly limited in what I can do.

Any news on Jessica and the girls?

Shannon in ATL
05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Yay Dagmar! The house looks lovely! I took the sound suggestion and ran the slide show on mute. :) I love the floors.

Mudpie
05-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Dagmar, congrats on the house! It looks quite livable and the yard looks lovely. Any update on Mudpie?

Mudpie is going back to the vet tomorrow to get her abdomen palpitated again. The vet wants to make sure the lump is still there and wasn't just a big lump of poo - :lol: If it's still there then we have to do an ultrasound and then probably surgery.

Dagmar :cool:

traveling michele
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Congrats Dagmar!! I'm hoping for poo for Mudpie!

Thanks for the chuckle this morning Saef....

traveling michele
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I forgot to mention my work challenges this week. It is teacher/staff appreciation week and our wonderful parents are appreciating us too much!!

Monday was breakfast. I was avoiding it like the plague (donuts and bagels) but a co-worker told me that when you get your breakfast they give you a Starbucks card. She took half a bagel so I did the same (in the trash for my half of a Costco bagel-- sorry).

Tuesday was "spa day". We each took a bag with different goodies in it. Mine had some lotions and good stuff and CANDY. I put the candy back into some other bags.

Today is "Thank you Lunch". I have no idea what that will be but I don't plan on partaking. It is so hard to refuse because the sweet parents will be in the break room handing us a plate when we come in. I will refuse politely--- anyone have a good excuse??? and get my lunch from the fridge.

Tomorrow is "Movie Goodies" ..... hmmm... popcorn and candy and movies? No idea.....

Friday is "Salad Bar Lunch"-- again-- I will either politely refuse or see if there is something healthy to supplement my lunch.....

krampus
05-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Congrats on the house, Dagmar - hoping it is nothing other than some impacted poo and no surgery will be needed!

michele, what is going to be in the salad bar lunch? Maybe the Thank You lunch will have some OK items. I think it's semi-important to at least take a plate, even if you just move the food around.

bargoo
05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I agree with Krampus about taking a plate and just moving the food around, I don't think people are going to see if you actually eat the food that is on the plate, unless my Mother is there. I do that and sometimes just sit the plate down someplace but be sure I have something in my hand, a coffee cup or glass of water. Sure, people will try to push food on you but in truth they really don't care.

krampus
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
unless my Mother is there.

Cracking up right now! That's really funny!

ChrisMohr
05-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Dagmar congrats on the house! And yes it's true most people don't care how much I eat at gatherings of any kind, even appreciative parents....

My opera performance in New York was one of the mlst amazing experiences of my life. Happy beyond words. Still happy back here in Denver!

Mudpie
05-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Dagmar congrats on the house! And yes it's true most people don't care how much I eat at gatherings of any kind, even appreciative parents....

My opera performance in New York was one of the mlst amazing experiences of my life. Happy beyond words. Still happy back here in Denver!

I glad for you Chris. :bravo:

Dagmar :cool:

bargoo
05-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Chris, congratulations on your success !

traveling michele
05-09-2013, 11:13 AM
That's great Chris!! Glad you will have wonderful memories!!

Our provided lunch yesterday was Subway sandwiches and caesar salad (loaded with dressing) and cupcakes and cookies.... I took a few grapes. It wasn't too awkward.

I might be scheduling a coffee meeting at lunchtime tomorrow which would get me out of the Friday lunch issue.

I just realized tomorrow is Friday! I have so much to do. We are leaving for Spokane after work tomorrow which means I need to PACK tonight!!

Shannon in ATL
05-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Congratulations Chris! I'm glad that it went well!

paperclippy
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Everyone seems to be having such great achievements! Congrats on the house Dagmar, the opera Chris, and your son's achievements Allison! Also anyone else I missed!

Our girls are making really good progress. Here are some photos now that they have less equipment strapped all over them and are allowed to wear clothes. :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/M9JTxDwnuyFl2N2WQGTf2ldbAOI07aTR_gnC_ulmQ08?feat=d irectlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cN4wQAT8bKHlNDl0o63uOldbAOI07aTR_gnC_ulmQ08?feat=d irectlink

Edit - the photos don't quite seem to be working, you should be able to see them here (https://picasaweb.google.com/101641195020489153209/Babies?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCO7Bkcz067yf-gE&feat=directlink).

The first photo is Cecilia and the second one is Allison. The nurses decided to dress them in the same outfit so it's a little hard to tell them apart. :) Allison is now off of all respiratory support! Cecilia is still on a little bit of help but it's the same kind that old folks get rather than any big machines or ventilators. Both of them are still getting tube feedings but they don't have IVs anymore. The doctor says we can make a first attempt at "non-nutritive" breast feeding today, which basically means that I pump first so they don't drown, then we try to get them to latch on and see if they can manage to breathe at the same time.

In other news I'm down about 30lbs from delivery (highest was around 205ish, today I was 173) with no effort so far. 40lbs to go, but it's not my priority right now.

Shannon in ATL
05-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Jessica! They look fantastic!

bargoo
05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Jessica, thanks for the update. Two beautiful baby girls ! Now, that is an achievement !

ICUwishing
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Jessica, I can't see pics here at work, but I will definitely check them out tonight! So glad to hear that everything is going well!

Dagmar - major congrats on the house!

Chris, you sound absolutely over-the-moon, and that's as it should be! How incredibly awesome to see your creation come to life!

Me, I am looking happily ahead to tonight, when I expect to get a whole bunch of bad news. Yep, that's right. Tonight I go for a pre-training program fitness assessment, which is going to include body mass breakdowns as well as strength and flexibility metrics. I expect to fail pretty miserably and I'm okay with that, because there's post-assessment in mid August, which will be substantially better. Challenge ACCEPTED!

traveling michele
05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Glad to hear they're doing well Jessica!! How cute with the little hairbrush.

Mudpie
05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Glad to hear they're doing well Jessica!! How cute with the little hairbrush.

That's what I thought too. I think you mentioned your DH was going to stay at home with the girls Jessica? He already seems to be quite good at taking care of them.

Dagmar :)

krampus
05-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Chris - CONGRATS! Bring that happiness with you everywhere!

Ohhh they're so tiny, Jessica! Congratulations!

Steph7409
05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Jessica, thanks for the pics. I'm glad to hear the girls are doing so well.

I'm developing a cold and am miserable. Boo, life.

Mudpie
05-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Mudpie goes for her ultrasound today. I think surgery is probably going to happen and the ultrasound will help confirm where and how extensive it has to be.

I couldn't feed her this morning. I thought I was cranky :tantrum: when I got hungry . . . she's been yowling for 10 straight minutes now.

Dagmar :(

ChrisMohr
05-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Good luck Dagmar with your surgery etc. You're in my prayers.

Mudpie
05-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Good luck Dagmar with your surgery etc. You're in my prayers.

Sorry! I think I might have created a bit of confusion here. Mudpie is my cat AND my "name" at 3FC. The cat is going in for ultrasound and possibly surgery. I am fine, as far as I know.

Thanks for the prayers though, Mudpie the cat will probably need them.

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Hope all goes well with Mudpie, Dagmar.

traveling michele
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Prayers for Mudpie... please keep us posted....

bargoo
05-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Will be praying for Mudpie. I know how much our pets mean to us. My friends cat somehow got a quilting needle stuck in her throat.Of course she couldn't eat. Long story short after a couple of visits to the vet , the needle was discovered, she had surgery and is fine.

CherryPie99
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Oh I hope Mudpie gets good news! One of our cats is getting very old and I can't even think about losing him!

Jessica - it sounds and looks like the girls are doing wonderfully! You must be in heaven!

My half marathon is tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous. Unfortunately the weather forecast is cold and rainy! So that sucks. Really hoping to at least place in my age group, we'll see...

Jen

traveling michele
05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Jen-- yuck.... good luck with the weather and placing! I'm sure you'll do great!!

I am freaking out because I'm pretty sure I'm getting sick. Ugh. Flying out tonight to Spokane-- can't be sick.... gonna have to fake feeling okay.... My eyes have been bothering me for a few days-- I thought/think I'm getting a stye-- but now my head/throat hurt and I'm achy. Not a happy camper.

At least I won't be so disappointed about missing the gym today as I probably wouldn't exercise anyway if I'm feeling lousy.....

Mudpie
05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Mudpie the cat has a mass attached to her liver. They took a biopsy and some fluid came out with it. They are doing tests of the biopsy sample and the fluid and will let us know Monday. Of course I Googled it and came up with this

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2002/spring/bcc.shtml

We will know more on Monday. I resisted the urge to run to the grocery store and buy jelly beans, my current binge food of choice. Gonna be a long weekend.

Dagmar :(

ICUwishing
05-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Dagmar, :hug: I read what you googled; sounds not ... final? I did see the big "benign", so that's a positive, yes? Stay off the beans !

WardHog
05-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I hope you get good news on Monday, Dagmar.

Good luck with the 1/2, Jen! I am sure you will rock it.

Michele, you are not sick. Nope. Nu uh.

alinnell
05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh, Dagmar, I'm so sorry! At least it is benign. No chemo needed. Talk to your vet about what liver support she might need. I know it is harder with a cat, but we give milk thistle, alfalfa and Sam-E to Chico to support his liver through his chemo. Perhaps some might be of help to her.

bargoo
05-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Dagmar, I know it is difficult to wait for test results, but try and stay calm and stay out of the jelly beans ! Let us know what you find out. I am a dog person but my very first pet was a cat , he was the same age as me and his name was Tiger, I was a toddler, I still have pictures of Tiger and me together. These 4 legged friends stay in our hearts forever.

Mudpie
05-11-2013, 07:02 AM
Dagmar, I know it is difficult to wait for test results, but try and stay calm and stay out of the jelly beans ! Let us know what you find out. I am a dog person but my very first pet was a cat , he was the same age as me and his name was Tiger, I was a toddler, I still have pictures of Tiger and me together. These 4 legged friends stay in our hearts forever.

I am a bit more worried about how DH is going to react if I say we should not aggressively treat a pretty frail 16 year old cat but let her go and give her care and comfort til the end. I have seen too many clients inadvertently make their pets suffer to keep them going for a couple more months.

And the vets treating there frail elderly pets seem to go along with this. Not necessarily because they will make a pile of money but because they are afraid of legal action by a client if the pet is euthanized.

Mud is too nice a girl to have to go through that. I think Mud will let me know when she's done with things. And then I will end it for her. Same for the fat cat.

Now I am going to think of more positive things and go shopping for new flooring and get upholstery samples for the new house today! Then paint colours. It's time I started looking forward to moving in!

Dagmar :yoga:

bargoo
05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Dagmar, I know you will make the right decision however tough that may be.

Shannon in ATL
05-11-2013, 11:56 AM
:hug: Dagmar

saef
05-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Thinking of you, Jen, and wondering how your race day went. Down here, it was gray with a little drizzle.

Dagmar, I'm thinking of Fritz. My mother asked the vet to call me, after the blood tests. He laid out three courses of treatment for me, as he had for my mother. He tried to sound neutral, but some of the choices sounded as if they were for people who just can't bear to let go, and those seemed like the more selfish courses of action, to keep the cat lingering for our own emotional comfort, rather than taking into account the cat's physical discomfort. And that seems too one-sided, like **using** an animal for something, simply because we can. Anyway, I know what you mean. I wish you luck. My mother still misses Fritz badly, and I do, too.

CherryPie99
05-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Dagmar, I have unfortunately faced the decision way too many times of whether to aggressively treat a condition or just let my pet go, and no matter what, I have doubts about the choice I have made. But we're not there yet with Mud, right? If it's benign the vet might recommended you just leave it, am I correct?

I finished my 1/2 marathon today. Conditions = downpouring rain for the first 5 miles and cold - 58 degrees. The rain then let up, but it was WINDY! My GPS showed the course .5 miles SHORT exactly. I'm waiting to hear from other runners what their watches said. It was so freaking cold that everyone pretty much took off after they finished.

My time was 1:39:09. They said that they had a "glitch" with the timing chips, but it is fixable. So I don't know how I placed yet. Pretty sure I scored in my age group.