General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #1  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm going to start Slim Fast.

Ok here is my problem(s)

1 i hate to cook, dont want to cook, and you cant make me.

2 I have tried to eat healthy foods, I end up wasting good food. Can't see to focus on planning anything good to eat.

3 I work 10pm to 6am and always to tired or to lazy to cook. my hours of sleeping and working are erratic to say the least.

4 I live in an environment where its not always easy to cook, hence microwave cooking. plus I live alone.

5 because of 1-4 above, i usually graze on junk or useless foods just to eat something. Food doesn't appeal to me any more.

SO

I am going to start SLIM FAST, takes care of most cooking, and thinking about what to cook. shakes and bars during the waking hours, 1 protein salad, soup or frozen dinner for 1 meal.

can I do it? I don't know, but right now with my lifestyle it seems the best fit for me.

anyone else want to or is doing slim fast? Buddies wanted.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I've done it. I didn't last on it. I like eating food and drinking meals was just not satisfying for my hunger cravings. I would drink it, feel full but then still have the urge to eat since in my brain, I never actually ate. Plus, what are you going to do when you lose the weight since you won't have learned portion control or how to cook in the first place. Not saying that its not a good place to start, its just not something that can/should be done for longer than a month or two.

If you do decide to do it though, avoid the strawberry. My roommate and I used slimfast at separate times (months apart) and bought from two different locations, and we both ended up living on the toilet whenever we drank the strawberry shake. We were fine with the vanilla and chocolate tho!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I'm currently on The Simple Diet. It focuses on 2 entree meals, 3 shakes (slim fast or other brands), and 5+ veggies/fruits a day. It's very fulfilling for me and I don't feel near as munchy at work. I also think it seems healthier than slim fast due to the focus on veggies/fruits. I also work nights which means I understand what you mean about cooking. I know I couldn't do the slim fast diet as is. At least with Simple diet, I can eat with the shakes (I use them as a snack).
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #4  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Slim fast is not something I could do for the long run, but I do take advantage of the convenience. I drink slim fast right now for breakfast maybe 3-4 days a week and for lunch on the days I don't drink it for breakfast (1-2 days a week). I work the front desk of a hotel and it's easy and discreet to be able to swig a few sips and put it away. In my job quick and easy is key cause I don't get an actual lunch break. The other things I love are the smart ones or healthy choice meals and progresso light soups. All are quick, easy, and you can get a good variety to your diet without worrying about planning or cooking. I would also recommend stashing a few bananas, apples and other filling fruits in your lunches. Its fairly easy to have a no hassle routine without skimping on a healthy diet.
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/134/125

Height: 5'3

I use meal replacement shakes also because of the convenience. But I don't recommend the Slimfast brand. I used them for a few months and didn't lose much weight. When I compared 4 brands of protein shakes they came in last for nutritional value. At least the high protein shakes I was drinking. They provided 20g protein but 180 calories and a shocking 80 calories from Fat. The protein shake I'm currently using now is not ready to drink but provides 22g protein with 110 calories and only 10 calories from Fat. Choosing a high quality protein will make losing weight easier. At least it has for me.

Last edited by Betty Jewel; 05-05-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Betty Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think you should do what you WILL do, if your plan works and you lose weight than it is successful for you. I am at goal and still drink Slimfasrt on occasion in a pinch.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #7  
Lil' Old Chick

Thank you all for the great advice, I knew asking for help on this forum would help.
I will google Simple Diet and see what it is about, since I do plan on eating salads and more fruit instead of there snacks.
Thanks for the warning on the strawberry drink, I sure don't need more of that problem in my life. LOL
I usually don't have time to eat at work, so I drink tons of water and coffee. I'm a CNA and work on the floor 8 hours a night.
Yippie I may have found a way to lose weight without much cooking. I have a tiny grill to cook up some chicken and put in a salad. I do plan on eating frozen dinners and progresso soup and NO fast foods for this girl.

If I can stick to it, make it my new lifestyle and never look back only forward to pounds and inches gone.

Found out walmart has a months worth of slim fast shakes, bars, and snacks for $75.00 a month, no shipping fee, online.

thanks again
Old 05-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #8  
Train Insane

S/C/G: 191/151/135

Height: 5'8"

I drink a whey protein shake that's 150 cal and 19g fat and it's sooo good. If you added almond milk to it, it would have a better consistency. It's also a lot cheaper in the long run, because it comes in a huge container instead of individual cans.
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #9  
Lil' Old Chick

Slim Fast is working, its working!! 4lbs so far, and not feeling hungry at all. Have a shakes or bars during the day, a good dinner and fruit for snackies at night before I go to work.
Plenty of water and no exercise as of yet.
oh yay oh yay, finally something I can live with while the weight comes off.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #10  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I did it in my 30's and lost 30 pounds and maint. it for 8 years. Good luck!

ETA: I am lactose intolerant now a days; can not go down that path again

Last edited by Sum38; 05-07-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

It sounds like you are getting a handle on your meals. I have plenty of time to cook, plan, etc, but when I first started, I used convenience foods. Partly because it was easier to count the calories. I drank the Costco version of slimfast for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine for lunch or dinner and usually prepared one meal. You can get already prepared salads, too.

We can talk all we want about eating clean, organic etc, but when you are really pressed for time or don't want to cook, you just do the best you can. Keep posting on here and you may even get interested in cooking!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #12  
Lil' Old Chick

I am doing a shake for breakfast, and a bar or shake for lunch. snacks are fruit, nuts or a cheese stick. like to much on grapes or cut up pineapples.
Dinner so far has been grilled salmon and a large green salad, chicken and veggies or hot dogs (no buns) and cottage cheese. Trying to avoid carbs in general. Miss breakfasts like eggs and yogurt, so I may have breakfast for dinner once in a while.
Can't stay away from pepsi, maybe I will when the case is gone LOL.
Doing pretty good, not to hungry at all and not sick of the shakes yet.