Diabetes Support - May Thread

View Full Version : May Thread

Wannabehealthy
05-04-2013, 09:01 AM
I didn't know if I knew how to start the May Thread but it looks like I did it! LOL

Bonnie - Mad gave you some good tips for making your breakfast more diabetic friendly. Sometimes it's hard to understand what raises your BG. The corn you had is one of the more starchy veggies we are supposed to avoid. I still eat it once in a while because I like it. I don't think it's as bad as sugar, flour or rice. I never understood why corn is bad because it seems to have a high fiber content but I guess your body absorbs the starch.

I am getting better at eating smaller meals by only eating half of my dinner, but many times I end up in the kitchen finishing it off an hour or two later. I'm working on it, but it's hard to change 67 years of bad habits.

Two people I know have lost most of their eyesight due to diabetes and one has had her foot amputated, so I know I have to get this under control before I start to have such problems.

fatmad
05-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Carol Sue: my administrator's husband is a brittle diabetic, and its been awful to see his problems getting worse. She gently nags me at times, and is generally quite helpful with things. I figure even if I can't lose the weight, having my sugars stable is a huge thing. The metformin seems to be really helpful for me there, but I think I need an extended release form of it.
today's fbs is 6.1, I had raw carrots with my chicken last night. I love raw carrots. , but I guess they are too starchy.
Also got to a used book sale last night. Brought home boxes of books, and will take these to the cottage to enjoy all summer long. I am also really getting into re-reading series books, (I mostly read mysteries) from the start to finish, instead of haphazardly the way I read them originally. Its reading more for character development this way, and really fun. So I got some of the genre books, and can fill in blanks with my kobo if needed.
I have been struggling with the nighttime snack thing. I find it hard to have a small snack with a few carbs to eat, and think I am getting some glucose dumping, in spite of the metformin. I am gonna try a few peanuts, as they are a nice balance of fat, protein and carbs, have a nice satisfying crunch, and saltiness. How many you think would be good friends?
Its beautiful outside, I am going to start with gardening today, cleaning things up for planting.

pattygirl63
05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Carol Sue - Thanks starting the new thread. Good job.

Fatmad - Hope you are feeling better.

Bonnie, Ruthie and others - :wave:

Have a nice weekend.

Wannabehealthy
05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Mad, I am on Metformin and still get glucose dumping. At least that's what I think it is. My glucose is usually higher in the morning than it is before bed. I am still confused as to whether to snack before bed or not. Some tell me that it will help with dumping but it doesn't seem to help with me. I would like to get into the habit of no snack at night and see what happens.

I read somewhere that any veggies that grow below the ground are too starchy for diabetics, like carrots and potatoes, and I guess that includes onions, too, but lately I've been putting onions in everything. Most of the time when I eat carrots or corn it is in mixed vegetables or soup so there's not a lot and it's mixed in with other veggies that are ok.

I read mostly mysteries, too. I get some books for my e-reader from the library website and I also buy used books at flea markets and used books sales. I haven't bought a book new for years. I also trade books with a friend who usually reads romances, but no I have her interested in the mysteries, too.

Butterfly50
05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys ! Well went to the Dr and got my new machine the Accu View Nano is pretty sweet. Now I have to wait on the Lancets cause the walmart here didnt have them in stock. He tok me off the gabapentin cause I was having dry eyes and It was upsetting my stomach bad and I would want to sleep alot. So he changed me to Gralise he said I shouldnt have all the side affects and should work jest as good.
He checked my A1C and he said it was a 7 and he told me that if it goes any higher then he needs to add some more meds to what I already take either more metformin or add someting new to it. He said I should have a am reading below 120 but I can never get it down that low. The only way that will happen is if I eat nothing but veggies. I am gonna have to get on the stick I dont want to keep adding more meds for something I need to do to stop that.
I hope all is doingwell I must run we are cooking on the grill tonight.

Butterfly50
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Oh boy I used my new meter today and was pretty shocked It said my Fbs was 157 this morning. So I got out the old one and took it and it said my fbs was 142 still too high I have to get this thing down.

Wannabehealthy
05-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Trish - I tried to copy an article about fasting with type II but it was to long to copy so here's the link. It talks more about a 2 day fast, which I don't think I could do. I would prefer the daily IF.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/information/clinical-trials-to-start-in-the-uk-on-fasting-as-a-treatment-for-type-2-diabetes.html

Bonnie - You could help lower your FBG by walking, too, about 30 minutes a day, or broken up into two 15 minute sessions. I am trying to avoid going on additional meds, too, because some of them burn out your beta cells in your pancrease and makes your diabetes worse. It's better to try to keep it under control with diet and exercise.

pattygirl63
05-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Carol Sue - Thanks for the article. When I researched IF, I learned that the 8/16 works as good as doing a 2 day fast. I'm not sure I can do a 2 day fast, so that is why I chose to do the daily 8/16 IF. At one time, I did the 5/19, but it is too restrictive for long term. Come to think of it though, I think there are some days occasionally when maybe a 5/19 could work. I just know me well enough to know that a 2 day 24 hr fast just isn't going to work for me.

Bonnie - I'm working at getting my fbs back down as well. I am doing 1mile on my stationery bike 6 days a week and my goal is to eventually work up to 3. I recently read that a doctor who says you can reverse diabetes says that because glucose rises when we eat that if we would exercise about 7 - 10 minutes after a meal it would help to lower blood glucose. He says as long as a person doesn't suffer from angina they should have no problem exercising right after a meal. I try to do this when I can although, I'm not always able to. I learned that I can do 1 mile on the bike in less than 10 minutes. So my goal is to eventually get to where I can do 1 mile after 3 meals a day.

I am also learning to eat more balanced meals when I do eat. I still eat what I really want, just in moderation and healthier foods. I'm finding since I started doing this especially with Intuitive Eating that I seem to want to eat more of the healthier foods. Went to the store today to get quite a bit of fruits and veggies.

Ruthxxx
05-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Whew! I was giving myself heck for not starting a May thread and there it is. Thanks Carol Sue.

Been way too busy lately with gardening in our summer-like weather but I guess it's been good for me. I can now restore my ticker. (I'm also going to need to figure out how to change the weight on it. I never used a LilySlim one before.

Food has been good with an almond milk shake in the morning and healthy lunches and dinners. Been doing skewers and burgers on the BBQ and eating lots of salads. Since I am trying to do Low Carb, no bread has crossed my lips and FBGL is decent. I may even feel ready for bloodwork later in the month.

Hang in there chickies. We are doing the right thing.

Wannabehealthy
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Trish - Years ago, I did IF before I even heard of it. It was before I was diabetic, back when I was keeping my weight under control. I NEVER ate one morsel after dinner, ever. I ate a normal breakfast and lunch and usually had vegetables for dinner around 5 PM nothing else til breakfast. I think this is how people are meant to eat, but the American diet seems to have us eating all day. The same goes for exercising after a meal. I have always heard it recommended to take a walk after dinner, even for non diabetics. I was always rather sedentary in the evenings and I didn't feel that I needed much fuel just to sit on the couch. LOL And I used to sleep so much better when I went to bed on an empty stomach. My body would truly rest, instead of trying to digest food I had eaten in the evening.

I know all this to be true, but can't seem to get back to that lifestyle. But I will keep trying!

Ruth, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes, but I figured you were busy and if I was able to start the new thread I would help out!

Butterfly50
05-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Boy Lots to tell First I lost 3 pounds this week. Yes it feels good I am glad working on getting a lower sugar level.

Aunt went to the Dr today and she is having sugery on June 13th. It will be 5 hrs long and she will be hospitalized for two weeks and then light duties for 6 more weeks. They will be removing a part of her pancreas and the Dule Adema and the lymph noids . But things are going right now so will see when things get closer.

I have been doing good with the food still need to be stronger on my choices but I have so much going on I cant be perfect right now. Well I will catch you all later.

pattygirl63
05-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Bonnie Prayers and thoughts coming your way as you go through all the things you are facing right now. Stress makes us diabetics have to work harder to stay strong on our plans and it isn't easy. CONGRATULATIONS on the 3 lbs gone. Just hang in there and do your best.

Ruthie Glad to hear from you. I'm finding that busy helps me stay OP.

Carol Sue I realize that besides the stress I experienced when all the kids were living here that I also was experiencing lots of anger. I remember telling my doctor that I was so angry because I have fought this weight problem all these years and here I am still having to fight it and now with diabetes. I think I have finally come to the place that I am really facing things. When my second husband died, I figured that I would possibly live to be 80 just the way I ate and took care of myself back then. I was losing weight and I ate like IF with a CALP twist at that time. I actually got down to 167? lbs during that time and blood sugar was normal. My Daddy's aunt lived to be 91 and my Daddy will be 90 next month and he is still going strong. I realized one day that makes it possible for me to live to be in or near my 90s. Isn't it strange how those thoughts changes us. I suddenly realized if this is possible, what do I want my health to be in the next 10 or 20 yrs that I could live. Thus, I'm working at not losing weight so much as eating healthy to be healthy. I don't want to take the meds I take the rest of my life and if I learn to eat correctly, I won't have to. So that is my NEW goal. Our best years could be ahead of us. LOL

Wannabehealthy
05-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Trish - It certainly does sound as though you have many years ahead and I can understand your wanting them to be healthy years. I have heard of 2 people who have been able to go off their diabetes meds due to exercise and weight loss. I would like to do that also, but I guess I don't want it bad enough to make the changes I need to make, or at least I haven't done so yet. At 67 I have outlived all of my immediate family. My father died at 60, my mother died at 64 and both of my brothers have since past away. I guess it's the heart surgery and meds that have given me the chance to live longer than they did, but I have no expectations of making it to 80 or 90. But I want to be healthy and mobile for whatever is left of my life.

Bonnie - You and your family are in my prayers. It sounds like your aunt will be going through a serious operation but you will get a little break while she is in the hospital and hopefully her insurance will cover a home nurse to come to the house to help her out after she comes home.

Hi to Mad and Ruthie! Everyone have a good day!

Butterfly50
05-10-2013, 11:51 AM
I have been checking my sugar level since I got my new machine and I can tell you It is still high. This morning my sugar was 141 I had someSliced Beef and Zuchnni and a salad my sugar was 133 before I took my meds and Had my snack last night before bed. For a snack I had 1/2 low fat cottage cheese with a tsp organic granola.

Any one tell me the food they have problems with and stuff that works for the not to raise their levels? I feel like I keep trying and I am not getting no where fast. I dont knnow what to do its like I am in a box and I cant find a way out! Hope I can find the opening soon.

pattygirl63
05-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I have been checking my sugar level since I got my new machine and I can tell you It is still high. This morning my sugar was 141 I had someSliced Beef and Zuchnni and a salad my sugar was 133 before I took my meds and Had my snack last night before bed. For a snack I had 1/2 low fat cottage cheese with a tsp organic granola.

Any one tell me the food they have problems with and stuff that works for the not to raise their levels? I feel like I keep trying and I am not getting no where fast. I dont knnow what to do its like I am in a box and I cant find a way out! Hope I can find the opening soon.

I hope you can find your answers Bonnie. I'm having to rethink my whole idea of how to eat to lower my fbs. About the time I get it going down, I eat something and up it goes. I'm really looking into the paleo way of eating more lately which is more fruits and veggies than anything else. I'm just having to decide how far I want to go with it because I really think vegetarian would work great (had SIL once who was Type 1 diabetic and she had great control as a vegetarian). However, I have no desire to give up meat. Can't do strict lowcarb like Atkins although I have to admit it is my favorite way of eating because I don't want to give up fruit and some of the starchy foods that I really love. So I'm leaning toward maybe a 80% fruits and veggies and a 20% of the things left that I really love to eat.

Good luck.

pattygirl63
05-11-2013, 07:30 PM
When I got back from the beauty salon today, I had a box from the kids in FL who lived with us. It was a beautiful bouquet of roses for Mother's day. I have to tell you that I cried. We all went through a very hard time together and a lot of struggles all those months. AND WE CAME OUT OF A OK. I AM BLESSED.

Y'ALL HAVE A VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Wannabehealthy
05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Trish, I would have cried, too! I remember all that you went through and this is a sign that they really did care and did appreciate all that you did for them. That's wonderful!

I think we are all in the same boat having difficulty lowering our blood sugar. I, like you, have trouble giving up the starchy foods I love and they get me in trouble every time. I recently read an old book I downloaded off the internet about how diabetes was originally treated. It said that all food was removed for 2 days, just black coffee and broth, after which time the blood sugar should go back to normal. Then by trial and error, small amounts of food were added while continuing to test until you reached a combination of protein, carbs and fat that gave you the correct reading. Once your blood sugar went up you went back to the combination that was good for you. I remember when I was a kid back in the 50's a playmate of mine was diagnosed with type I and she was hospitalized and treated in this way. After she came home all her food had to be measured exactly to keep her glucose in line. I guess it makes sense to do that although it seems harsh. When I was in the hospital with intestinal problems I had no food, not even broth, for 6 days. I guess it wasn't that hard because I was in the hospital and food was not available to me. But I can't see myself doing just coffee and broth for 2 days. I have noticed if I keep my starchy carbs to a minimum, say, 1 slice of bread or 1 spoonful of potatoes, my glucose stays down. But it's so hard to limit myself to those small quantities once I get that taste. I won't give up meat, either, but I really don't think meat is my problem. It's thinking that I will eat this starchy item just this one time, and then this one time starts to end up being every day or at every meal. And I don't keep up with my walking the way I should. My husband can limit his eating to one helping and stop at that, and most times leaves food on his plate. That is a rarity for me. I'm always going to start tomorrow.

Bonnie - All that I can say is cut out carbs, especially starchy ones, until you get a blood glucose reading you can accept, and then add them back gradually and test constantly until you know what you have to eliminate. And try to walk daily. Read package labels closely. There are many foods that may see like a healthy choice but are really too many carbs for a diabetic. We can do this if we are diligent!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERONE!!!

Butterfly50
05-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Happy Mothers Day to everyone!

I talked to my cousin last night who jest happens to be my pharmasit to. She told me that she would be concerned with the reading I have been getting. I told her that my A1C was a 7 and my doctor said he was fine with that. She said she would check into going to a endo dr who specialize in Diabetes she said she jest has some concerns on how they are doing me. we talked about me being on metformin and I told her I have been on it for 2 years now may be it dont want to work for me any more. So I am gonna check with my insurance and see if I can go to one with out having a referral.

I hope all has a good week will be back. Me and my daughter has been doing good with walking.

Ruthxxx
05-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger in a windstorm but figured I'd check into wish us all a Happy Mother's Day. No roses for me from my darlings as we decided years ago that a card or phone call would do.

Been doing OK as far as FBGL goes and weight is slowly going down. Low carb is the way for me to go but everyone needs to find her own path. Unfortunately this has been a three dinner party weekend so far with one more to go tonight so I've blipped up to 186.6 from 185. That'll go this week. (My friends cannot stand the sight of an empty wineglass and wine has carbs!)

This is a busy week ahead as the Canadian long weekend is 18-19-20 and, not only does the Mill open for the season but I have to bake for a Quilters Sale and make fancy-dancy cookies for a Mad Hatters Tea Party. I am really going to be exercising my resistance muscle!

On we go with another week of taking care of our bodies as best we can!

pattygirl63
05-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Had a good visit with my doctor this morning. My bs and weight was up which was no surprise to me. If I remember right since my last visit 3 mos ago, my weight was up about 9 lbs and my blood work test last week showed my glucose up 11 pts, but A1c was 7.2. The good news is that my overall cholesterol was normal. However, my triglycerides were almost in the high level end of normal which is 150... mine was 152. The HDL was low, but the LDL was normal. So doc said "Although your weight and bs was up some, the other numbers have improved" so he called it "a win".

I talked to him about the IF. He didn't like the idea of a 24 hr fast although he said if I really wanted to that I could do it once a week if I wanted. I told him about me reading about eating fruit in the morning until noon and then a 5 to 8 hr eating window and that I was interested in doing the paleo way of eating. And he approved of it. I had to laugh when he told me that he has many many friends who do the paleo diet and some of them tell him all the time how good beer is for you. I told him that I saw a man on tv who ate paleo and was eating raw organic/free range ground meat one day, but that I wasn't going to do it. I told him the theory I heard was if your great, great grandmother couldn't recognize it as food then don't eat it. I said that I know that their protein depended on what grandpa was able to shoot and kill to bring home that day, but I also know that she was smart enough to cook it and so do I. LOL So he okayed me eating up to 3 servings of fruit from the time I get up in the morning until I start eating and then eat my food within a 5 to 8 hr window. I plan to make 7 or 8 pm my time to stop eating as long as I do not eat more than an 8 hr time period each day.

I asked him about coming off the phenophybrate (sp?) and using the evening primrose and hawthorne berries so I can do my exercise without my legs aching or giving out on me half way through. I told him I wanted to see if I could do my Walk Away the Pounds the primrose and hawthorne do the same as the medicine. Then we can test in 3 months to see how I'm doing as I would rather do things naturally. If the tests in 3 months shows it didn't work like the phenophybrate or my legs still ache, then I will go back on the medicine. He said I could try coming off the phenophybrate as it could cause the leg problelms for the next 3 months, but he I could not tell me to use the primrose and hawthorne... that would be up to me. Then when he checked DH, he had to put DH on a statin for his triglycerides because the phynophybrate isn't pulling his triglycerides down as quickly as he wanted. While it has come down, it is still way to high. When I heard the doc tell DH that, I told the doc that I would have to rethink coming off of it. I had forgotten that it works to bring the trigycerides down.

He was happy that I am able to do a mile on the recombunt (sp) bike daily and that my legs do not hurt when I ride it. He said that if my legs don't hurt riding it that I might just have to do that and hope it helps with the benefits I want. So will have to see what happens when I go off the phenophybrate a while.

I'm also having a little edema lately. I do have a prerscipture for fluid pills. I told him that I didn't like taking them all the time so I don't take them often because I was concerned about taking them too much since Tony's Mother's doc had told him that his Mother's serious edema was because she took too much Lasix. My doctor said that isn't true and for me to use it if I need it and I could take them daily if needed. It is a mild fluid pill.

Strange how I don't ever worry about all those test number results on my blood work until I see one boldly highlighted. I saw something on there called eGFR (I had no idea what it was but it was boldly marked as slow) so I asked the doc what it was and he said it has something to do with going to pee. So I assume that means I really need the fluid pills. He called a new prescription with more refills so I can take them as often as everyday if I need to. I told him about my 90 yr old Daddy who is an extremely great example of how to take care of my health ad that I am determined to do the same and beat this disease.

So overall, I had a great doctors appt.

fatmad
05-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Friends: sorry to be MIA, my father has been sick again. He had a flu or pneumonia, but didn't realize how sick he was. He finally went to the hospital, and had a respiratory arrest in the emergency room. (thats where you just stopped breathing. If he had been at home, he would have just died)
It took a while for them to figure out what the problem was, and get him stable. He is just out of ICU yesterday. I expect him to come out of hospital in a day or so, and stay with us for a few days, just to make sure he doesn't relapse or something.
In the meantime, DD has been living here a couple of weeks, and so far, things are going well. One of her tasks (she isn't working for pay right now) is doing housework, (and she gripes about people messing up "her" kitchen etc) and cooking. She is doing great with making delicious healthy meals, and mostly low carb and lots of veggies. We are also getting along well.
Work is fine, and not too busy for me right now. I have a new student for the next year, so will have to get the knitting out. Maybe I will have that shawl done for next winter, or it can be a blanket for a grandchild, at this rate.....
and no, no news on that front from other DD.
Will be in touch again soon. thanks

Wannabehealthy
05-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Trish - I agree your doctor visit went well. Your doctor seems to be very thorough and takes the time to listen to you and your concerns. When I took Lasix I also had to take Potassium because the lasix drains it out of your body. I don't understand how Lasix could be causing edema for Tony's mother. You would think it would get rid of it.

I take Trilipix, which is similar to fenofibrate but it can be used with a statin and I take both. It is very expensive and I get as many samples from my cardiologist as I can get. And I skip a pill about once a week to try to make them last longer. So many times I heard about elderly people skipping their meds because they can't afford them and now here I am doing it. LOL My triglycerides are probably my worst problem along with my glucose. If you can stay on your low carb diet and keep up your exercise your triglycerides will improve. It would probably be a good idea to go off the fenofibrates and see if the diet and exercise can keep the triglycerides down along with the supplements. Then you might not need the meds.

A week or so ago we were discussing doing a vegan diet. I have recently been reading about Dr Joel Furhman and the Eat To Live diet. What he says really makes sense but I don't know if I could really follow that diet. Lord knows what I'm doing now isn't working. Basically, it's vegeterian, but you can eat small amounts of fish and poultry. The thinking behind the diet is that with the micronutrients from the fruits, vegetables and beans, the high concentration of vitamins, minerals and fiber, gives your body what it needs and eventually you are satisfied with that and don't crave other foods that are not as nutrient dense. It is supposed to reduce your glucose levels and weight. Some people are calling him a quack, but I can't see how a doctor that recommends high veg and fruit consumption could be a quack. The only difference between that and a low carb diet is that the amount of meat eaten is lower and it includes beans and some starchy veggies. It says that the amount of fiber in the beans and the way it's digested pretty much negates the carbs. Everybody says something different and I am at the point where I don't know which program to try. But I know I have to do something because what I'm doing isn't working. I might try upping my vegetables and going back to eating some fruit. I haven't been eating much because it does tend to raise my glucose, and I would probably end up eating more meat they he recommends, but if I can do this and it helps me cut back on the starchy carbs, it's a start.

I would like some more clarification of the IF you are doing. What about the fruits you are eating in the morning. Is that BEFORE your eating window, or is it the start of your eating window. Do the fruits raise your blood sugar?

One problem I have is that DH eats a lot of carbs and processed foods. We pretty much do our own thing at breakfast and lunch but usually do dinner together. Today I made roasted chicken and roasted veggies and added fried potatoes for him. That worked. And we eat out a lot, so I can always get a salad bar or grilled chicken salad while he can have his steak and potatoes. He eats a lot of those pkg noodles and sauce and rice and sauce for lunch, and canned chili with half a sleeve of crackers. LOL He's not overweight but probably isn't real healthy. He only goes to the doctor once a year to get his blood pressure RX. He won't even get his lipids checked because he says I'm not going to take the meds for it so why even check it? He's in a lot better shape than I am and I am at different doctors several times a year.

I never heard of eGFR but I googled it and it has to do with kidney function, so yes, it would have to do with the fluid pills.

Mad - That's scary about your father. I hope he is improving.

Bonnie - You may do well to see and Endo. They would be more thorough than a primary care doctor. You didn't say what dosage of Metformin you are on. Has the doctor ever increased it? My PCP is satisfied with an A1c of 7 but I prefer to try for a little lower reading.

Ruth - You seem to be doing very well. I wouldn't worry about a little carb slip here and there as long as you get back on the wagon right away, which you seem to be doing.

pattygirl63
05-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Carol Sue I try to always by small green bananas as they have less sugar and DH needs them to take his pills but will only eat half. So I eat the other half. I eat cantaloupe and strawberries. Those are my favorites. Sometimes I will substitute one of those 3 with an apple. I have those between 10 am and about 2 pm. I read years ago in a book called Fit for Life that most fruits go through our stomach in about 30 minutes. Back then my DD weighed after everything she ate, so I decided for the heck of it to weigh after I ate a piece of fruit and learned that it doesn't even move the needle. I don't know how it affects the glucose. According to my doc, diabetics are pretty safe if we keep it to 3 servings a day not loads of it. Also I read somewhere that they should not be eaten together as one big serving. So I try to keep mine spread out throughout the morning. I also make it a point to eat my last piece of fruit at least 30 minutes before my main meal. Around 2 pm DH and I have our main meal. Today we had steak, steamed veggies and salad. Around 7ish I ate oysters with what I call a finger salad of celery, radishes, pickles and peppers. Then I finished it off with a handful of pecans and low carb/low calorie chocolate milk and now I will drink green tea and water for the rest of the evening. I won't eat again until about 10 or 10:30 in the morning. I did have some croutons in my salad at 2, but had no other starchy food. I will try not to have much starchy foods if any at all each day. I know Mark Sasson doesn't promote eating or drinking dairly, but I personally think it is important so I include it.

As for as the Vegan/Vegetarian Eat to Live diet by Dr. Furhman, I believe it is healthy if you want to do it. My Daddy told me a few weeks ago that my nephew is a vegan. Daddy asked him what he eats. He eats lots of veggies and fruits. His wife is a vegetarian and she veggies, fruit and dairy and eggs. I asked her once if she ate fish because I know lots of vegetarians do (DD ex-boss is a vegetarian and eats fish). She told me she knew that they claim that fish doesn't have a nervous system, but she wasn't sure that was true and she believes they have to feel something and she doesn't eat anything with a nervous system. He and I both have swaybacks I guess it is called and he told Daddy that he is vegan because it helps his back. They day she told me how she eats her vegetarian woe she had just had blood work and everything was perfect. I think it all comes down to doing what works for you. I think the reason I do so well with this way of eating is because I love fruits and veggies and I could almost be a vegan except, I'm not willing to give up meat completely and I could not make dairy my main source of protein because if I eat too much cheese I experience sinus allergies.

Mad What a blessing that your Dad was at the hospital and I hope he recovers nicely. Glad things are going well with your DD staying with you.

Bonnie Hope you get help soon. My doc like my A1c below 7.

Ruth You are one busy lady. You do the best you can with your eating. Hope there will be enough low carb foods there for you.

Wannabehealthy
05-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Trish - I want to start eating fruit again so I think I will start having it in the morning and small servings like you do. I think I need the nutrients they contain. I know some diabetics say they raise their glucose, but I wonder how much? Surely not as much as starchy carbs, and the fiber is important for health. This Fuhrman diet does allow small servings of fish and fowl and I know I will be eating a little more of it than the diet calls for, but I am more concerned with adding the extra veggies and beans. The beans are supposed to provide protein and fiber. Already my glucose was a little lower this morning and although I have not been on the scale, my rings are turning around on my fingers and that's usually a sign of a drop in weight, even if it's only water weight. I am also hoping to achieve the loss of the cravings for carbs that is supposed to occur with the increased nutrients from the veggies. A lot of the veggies are supposed to be eaten raw, but the harder veggies I am going to cook slightly just to soften them enough that I can bite them. Although this is different from the typical American diet, I don't consider it a fad diet. It's just healthy foods that I like, and avoiding foods that are not good for my diabetes. I think my doctor would be happy to have me eat in this way. I was reading reviews online and one person said if you are following this plan and you find yourself in a position where all that is available is foods you should not be eating, go ahead and make the best choices you can and don't dwell on it. As long as that isn't happening often. You are ok if you can choose veggies or a salad.

It sounds like you are eating a very healthy diabetic diet. You should do well. And I'm hoping to turn things around, here.

Butterfly50
05-14-2013, 12:00 PM
I am only on a 500 metformin once a day . been that way for two years now.

Butterfly50
05-14-2013, 08:47 PM
wanted to tell you all . When we moved here we had two dogs and two cats we had to give them all up . The cats we gave to my Sister neighbor well over time i guess they camped out at her house and she took it upon her self to get rid of them . She called me and told me that she found them a new home I asked her if they had small children and she swore they didnt. Well she took the cats over and the male got out of the house. The female she kept for a week and let her go. Here this was in the end of summer last year. Here me and my daughter was walking down the road and found the male cat. She come home and begged my aunt to llet her keep him out side. She agreeded so her and her dad went down and talked to the people who has been feeding him. They agreed to let us have him back cause they have a big lab and that they new for some reason they needed to feed him. ( They arent cat people)
we have him in a huge cage so he can get useded to this area so we will see what happens.

fatmad
05-14-2013, 09:58 PM
hey everyone: went to ww meeting and am down 3 pounds from my meeting 3 weeks ago. Still not as active as I wish, and my neck was killing me today, so did a bit of yoga and got into the jacuzzi for a bit, that helped.
Have been on plan mostly, need to plan better as always. we are having a catered staff meeting tomorrow, and there are wraps & sandwiches for lunch, but mine will be wrapped in lettuce. Planned better for that.
DD is really spoiling me, making salads, and healthy food. Yum

pattygirl63
05-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Trish - I want to start eating fruit again so I think I will start having it in the morning and small servings like you do. I think I need the nutrients they contain. I know some diabetics say they raise their glucose, but I wonder how much? Surely not as much as starchy carbs, and the fiber is important for health. This Fuhrman diet does allow small servings of fish and fowl and I know I will be eating a little more of it than the diet calls for, but I am more concerned with adding the extra veggies and beans. The beans are supposed to provide protein and fiber. Already my glucose was a little lower this morning and although I have not been on the scale, my rings are turning around on my fingers and that's usually a sign of a drop in weight, even if it's only water weight. I am also hoping to achieve the loss of the cravings for carbs that is supposed to occur with the increased nutrients from the veggies. A lot of the veggies are supposed to be eaten raw, but the harder veggies I am going to cook slightly just to soften them enough that I can bite them. Although this is different from the typical American diet, I don't consider it a fad diet. It's just healthy foods that I like, and avoiding foods that are not good for my diabetes. I think my doctor would be happy to have me eat in this way. I was reading reviews online and one person said if you are following this plan and you find yourself in a position where all that is available is foods you should not be eating, go ahead and make the best choices you can and don't dwell on it. As long as that isn't happening often. You are ok if you can choose veggies or a salad.

It sounds like you are eating a very healthy diabetic diet. You should do well. And I'm hoping to turn things around, here.

I prefer the paleo with some changes. I don't really think we have to eat only fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds which is what this book I'm reading right now promotes. He says we don't need protein from meats or dairy. I'm not willing to give up either. Mark Sisso in Mark's Daily apple who promotes Paleo/Primal eating does eats fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds also eats protein from meat. In fact, I heard him say that he eats steak. He says some paleo/primal eaters include dairy and some root veggies and even some grains in their P/P eating but he does not. The main thing most of them do is that they either do not eat processed foods or eat very little if they do. This is why I prefer this type of eating. I can take the basic idea and make it my foundation and then build on it with what I really like to eat and be healthy.

I think you can do the same with the plan you are going by. Good luck on your journey.

I think we both have a good way of eating for correcting the diabetes.

Wannabehealthy
05-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Bonnie - I think 500 mg once a day would be considered a starter dose and it should have been gradually increased according to your needs. If your doctor doesn't do that, I would definately go to an endo. In 2008 I started out of 500 mg twice a day, then was increased to 3 times a day and am now on 850mg 3 times a day. If your readings are high and you can't get them down, your meds should be increased. This is just my opinion and I am not a doctor so don't go by me saying it. Many doctors start you out on a low dose so you don't have side effects and to see how your body handles it. They don't want to give you more than you need. I don't understand why your doctor never increased it, especially since your numbers have gotten worse.

I am allergic to cats so I can't have one, but there is one that comes around outside. I don't know if it is a feral cat or if it's someone's cat who just roams around. Most of the time they are able to survive outside if they are used to being outside and if they have not been declawed. I would be careful if the cat has not had rabies shots.

Mad -Congratulations. A loss is a loss and we take it any way we can get it. I never think to make a wrap with lettuce, but that's a really good idea. My DIL has a habit of just eating the filling out of a sandwich to avoid the bread. She has done well on WW, but she didn't have much to lose. I think she lost 30 lbs. I did well on WW and it was not hard to do low carb, but I could not afford the price every month. I am not successful following it on my own.

Trish - I don't think there's a problem adjusting a plan to suit your own needs as long as you can stick to it and it works for you.

pattygirl63
05-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Trish - I don't think there's a problem adjusting a plan to suit your own needs as long as you can stick to it and it works for you.

I don't think it hurts to adjust a plan to fit our needs and likes. I used to have a book written about people who successfully lose weight and keep it off. According to the book, that is what they do. They take a ay of eating they like and change it to fit them and their lifestyle.

That is pretty much what I've done with the paleo/primal way of eating. I say paleo/primal because I'm still fairly confused as to how it really works because it is my understanding that some people do paleo eating only fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. Others eat that plus protein and no grains. Primal seems to be similar. I'm not sure which one, but some eat protein, fats, fruits, nuts & seeds and veggies (no starchy veggies or legumes or grains or dairy). It is my understanding is that some people use the basic plan of eating fruits, veggies, proteins and fats (nuts & seeds) and then add dairy and some even use some grains.

I'm going with the fruits, veggies, protein, fats and a small amount of dairy. Although I do use some shredded cheese, I purchased some coconut milk today. My beautician told me today that a customer told her that she drinks coconut milk because it is a natural diuretic. Since I have a tendency to fluid retention lately, I decided to start drinking it. I buy it unsweetened and put a small amount of stevia in it since I'm getting away from using all the other sweetners.

Very tired this week, but I think that is because I'm in the process of getting the carby junk out of my system. If I don't feel better soon, I may do an Atkins Induction to get myself past these feeling and then add my fruit back in when I get past the Induction period. I see Paleo/Primal as not being much different than Atkins except that you don't eat the fruit with Atkins and that was what I miss with Atkins. So I think with just a few adjustments to fit my likes and dislikes this will be a perfect way of eating for me.

Hope we all have a nice week end.

Wannabehealthy
05-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Trish - I am on the fence about dairy. I do like some shredded cheese in my salad and I buy block mozzarella cheese and cut off a small piece a couple times a week. Not much. I also have yogurt a couple times a week. I really don't know what to do because when I think back to the diet they put me on in the hospital, I had skim milk at every meal. I continued that diet for a good while after coming home from the hospital and I lost 25 lbs overall. But that was before I heard about the weight loss properties of Metformin, so that weight loss could have been because I started Metformin at that time. I have heard a lot that the calcium in milk is supposed to aid in weight loss. When I went on my first diet at age 21 I didn't know anything about dieting. I ate everything except sweets but I just cut back my portions. I lost good that way. But after I started reading up on different diets I started to get information overload and starting switching around from one diet to another. Now I just can't stay on program for a full day. Those darn carbs just have a way of tempting me. Last night we went out to eat. I ordered eggplant parm. I switched out the side of pasta for a side of veggies so the only carbs would be the breading on the eggplant. Don't you know they brought a basket of rolls, right out of the oven and don't you know I gave in to temptation. My husband will not say "Now, Carol, you aren't supposed to eat them." No, he will wait until after I have eaten them and then tell me I shouldn't have eaten them. I am not trying to pass the blame onto him. I am the one who puts the food in my mouth. I am going to have to get into the habit of telling the server "No bread or rolls" and if anyone else at the table wants them they will have to speak up and ask for them.

Last night we had my 4 year old grandson with us. As the server was telling me what my options were my grandson wanted everything mentioned. LOL When the server said "corn" my GS said "I want corn." When I told him "no pasta" my GS said "I want pasta." When he said "mixed veggies" my GS said "I want veggies." When the food finally came he said he wasn't hungry and wouldn't eat anything. That happens all the time. After dinner we take him home and he eats at home with his parents. He is in the habit of eating a late dinner because that's what they do at home. We can never go out to eat with them because they can't eat at 5 PM and we can't wait until 7 or 8 like they do.

pattygirl63
05-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Carol Sue We had the same problem with DH DD and her family when they lived with us. Because DH can't eat any later than 3 and they always ate around 7 or 8 or later, we couldn't have meals together. Although I would eat again around 8ish, I couldn't eat all the carby foods they ate. I also have the same problem you do with the bread... I have to tell them not to bring it, however, I'm blessed because DH doesn't want it either. He does like junk food tho. His fbs is to high and climbing and I'm trying to get him to read Atkins book. It would be sooooo much easier if we were both doing it.

I guess I am doing Atkins Induction style of eating which means no fruit for me for a while as I have a huge rash on my belly which is what happens when my body is saying "too much carbs coming in". Got some thick pork chops boiling for pulled pork and will make coleslaw to mix with it. The plus on this is that my fbs should come way down in a few days. Paleo with no fruit.

pattygirl63
05-18-2013, 11:54 PM
There is a Paleo/Primal conversation going under the General Diet section of 3fc. Someone explained the difference and I realize that I am actually doing Primal way of eating. I because I still use dairy products. I'm glad to have a name. I think I can do CALP with Primal lifestyle and use the Reward Meal as the time to eat the fruit and dairy I want to use. So it will be easy for me to make this a permanent way of eating rather than a diet.

Wannabehealthy
05-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Trish - Hmmm I never heard of getting a rash when you eat too many carbs. I don't think I would have made the connection. I think the shoulder pain I'm having is from my BS being too high but I can't get it down low enough for a long enough period of time to test that theory.

DH would never do low carb. He loves potatoes and baked goods. Has to have them every day. He will not even let me test his sugar. He says he doesn't want his finger poked, but I think he just doesn't want to know if he is diabetic. I hope he never is because he could never do without his carbs. He is not overweight but could stand to lose 20 lbs or so. He usually gets it off during the summer when he's busy outside. I used to order a grilled chicken salad without the french fries but now I get them and pick them out for DH. LOL I have even asked for a take out box to put them in. He will heat them up in the evening and eat them. Mr Potato Head.

I will look for the Paleo/Primal discussion.

Butterfly50
05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Hey Guys how is everyone? Well I went back to the Doctor yesturday and had to get refills of my gabaphentin so I questioned him again about my A1C and my testing numbers being so high when I have been watching what I eat. So he upped my metformin to 1000mg twice a day he said he will do it for 3 months and see what happens when I come in to get my A1C checked again.

Things here are going good was hoping that I could go walking but it looks like it is gonna pour down I am gonna check the weather. My daughter is in a half cast and on crutches for a week she has a shin splint and it wont heal after a few months so they said this is whats next then she will be out of school and it should get better.

So I had two eggs and Some strawberries and 1/2 slice of Ezekiel english muffin I checked my sugar and it was 143 not too bad since my Fbs was 133 before I ate. well I better be going got lots to do . Hope all is having a great weekend.

Ruthxxx
05-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Just checking in after a week or so of deviant eating which certainly shows. I am 194 this morning so this is war! There is no way I can mess around switching low carb eating off and on and doing a lot of baking is waaaaay too tempting. The good news is that I have enough cookies in the freezer to cover us until the Mill AGM mid-June. Now I need to just forget they are in the freezer.

After missing two weeks, I have put my gym membership on hold. I have way too much outdoor work to be done first thing in the morning, especially now that we are heading into hot days. 6 to 10 is my prime gardening time and I've not even really got started.

I need to rein in my crazy life! It's nuts to not be able to find the time to set up med dosages for the week! I know I need to face the dreaded HA1C soon. I have been testing off and on and know there are no major highs or lows but still ...

CorinneE
05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi everyone,

Just joined the blog and have been reading through some posts. What is everyone's thoughts on dairy and grains?

pattygirl63
05-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Hi everyone,

Just joined the blog and have been reading through some posts. What is everyone's thoughts on dairy and grains?

I'm not sure about grains... I don't eat a lot of wheat any more although I really like certain ones like corn which I do eat occasionally. I've heard it is suppose to keep blood sugar from rising, however, the opposite happens for me.

As for dairy, I personally think it is important for calcium. I know there are those who disagree, but I've used it ever since I heard I needed to prevent osteoporosis (sp) and I have good healthy bones. My sister doesn't care for dairy and deceased Hubby's grandmother didn't either. My sister has osteoporosis, and Hubby's grandmother had brittle bones.

So I guess that is an opinion thing or if you believe it is bad for you or not. I've kind of learned that I try things and see what works for me and what doesn't and make it fit my plan accordingly.

Butterfly50
05-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Hey everyone things are going good here for me. I had to go with my son today to get his first tooth pulled he 23 and he is freakin out he didnt know what to expect and now he is freakin out about what to eat.

My sugars are doing great . My hubby bought me a punching working out made by weight watchers for me tonight I wanted something different to do I do either leslie sansone or I do my walk it out I love them both but some times I jest need something different. I think I am gonna scour the net for some wii games that I can do. Any suggestion ??

I am going back on the diet I got from the nutrition class things seems to be doing good so far . I willl have to get back with you all soon Oh yeah my FBS was 113 this morning!!!:carrot:

Wannabehealthy
05-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Bonnie - I sympathize with your son. Hope his mouth is feeling better soon. Congratulations on bringing your FBS down to 113. I would kill for that number right now.

Today I did very well. The only carbs I had were in my veggies and my ranch dressing. We went out to eat and I had roasted chicken with steamed veggies and a salad. I passed on the rolls, which are my weakness and also on the baked sweet potato, which is usually my choice. So I am proud of myself today. I am taking it one day at a time and hope that it won't be long before I no longer crave those starches.

pattygirl63
05-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Just checking in. I don't alway write, but always try to read.

I finally have the plan that is working for me. Makes me wonder why I ever tried anything else. I'm doing the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet both Intuitive Eating and Intermittent Fasting. I find a lady on a CAD/CALP thread on another website who does it this way. I eat 1 carby meal and 1 low carb meal. I weigh everyday and will be averaging the weight loss at the end of 7 days. My weight is stabilizing which I feel is the process of puttig on the brakes so my body can adjust for me to start losing weight. The weight loss will be slow but that is okay with me. My FBS has lowered from over 200 to 162 in just the few days I've been on it and my blood pressure is normal. I am very pleased with my progress.

Bonnie Congratulations on the 113 FBS.

Wannabehealthy Congratulations on a successful job eating at the restaurant.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

Wannabehealthy
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Trish, I have been able to stick to low carb for the past 2 days and have gone from 198 - 195. I know it's the water weight from no carbs. I am trending toward IF...not eating anything after 5 PM. I know I cannot sustain this long term, but I'm giving my body a jump start. I will eventually eat carbs, but maybe after doing low carb for a few days I will be able to limit them to small amounts so I don't feel deprived and go on a carb binge. We eat out a lot because we like different things. Last night we ate at a place that has fantastic rolls. They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I brought them home and put them in the freezer. I think if I'm going to have a carb meal, I want it to be something I really, really like.

We are so much alike. My FBS was 152 this morning after a long period of 200 or over. Your success is inspiring me to keep on.

pattygirl63
05-25-2013, 07:06 PM
My fbs today was 133. I will change my ticker to read my progress with this new way of eating... will change my beginning weight to where I was when starting CAD with Intermittent Fasting Intuitively because I weighed a little more than my present ticker and weight is up a lb more than ticker shows. I actually lost 1.4 lbs this week. 3fc doesn't do tenths. I like the idea of weighing everyday on my digital scale because by using the tenths keeps me from becoming discouraged and giving up. It helps me stay on track, because if I'm up or down a few tenths I usually know why. However, when I had a regular scale that only read in lbs, I couldn't always understand a 1 lb gain. It works for me. Oh, and my blood pressure seems to be running normal now. My eating plan is a combination of 3 diets or ways of eating that I have personalized to fit my lifestyle and my likes and dislikes and it works. I am very happy and pleased with my plan.

fatmad
05-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Gang: sorry to be MIA again, Dad had an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic and his pneumonia isn't resolved yet, so he is still in hospital. Hoping to get him back here soon. Have been doing ok with eating, I did cave last weekend once, but have been ok since then. Weight is creeping down and I hope to have a good weigh in when I go to ww Tuesday night. Not expecting to be busy in the next week with work. Will just have one client due, and then no one due for a month.
BOnnie: I am really glad your doc listened and upped your metformin dosage. It was time and will help you some.
Ruth: I wish you were down my way so I could do your blood work for you.
Hellos to Trish, Carol Sue, WBH and all.

pattygirl63
05-26-2013, 10:56 PM
fatmad So sorry to hear about your Dad. Sure hope he recovers quickly and is home with you soon.

I found another article online by a man named Steve Cooksey who controls his T-2 diabetes with Intermittent Fasting and Primal Lifespan. He says there's 2 ways to do it. One way he calls Planned IFasting where you eat 30 grams of carbs a day starting out and no more than 50 grams a day of carbs a day as you adjust to eating this way. You choose how long and how often you want to eat and fast.

The second way he calls Unplanned IFasing where he says "if you're hungry, eat. If you're not hungry don't eat". He says he only eats 2 meals a day but never really shares in the article I read what his eating window was. However, he did mention having done 24 hr fasts, but I didn't get the feeling he did this on a regular basis. I think he must do shorter fasts more often although most I've heard of eat within 5 to 8 hr window and fast 16 to 19 hrs.

It is so exciting to find another testimony of someone else that has successfully improved their health and their bs, bp and other numbers are normal because of eating this way. The second the Unplanned IFasting is the way I eat now within 5 to 8 hr window and fasting 16 to 19. And I'm feeling good. Just sharing what's working for me. He does stress that it is important to eat plenty of protein and fat before fasting.

fatmad
05-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Trish, there is a guy in England who has a book called the "fast diet" which is having 2 days a week where the person only takes in 600-800 calories in the day.
I don't know what effect these have on blood sugar in the short term, but any weight loss helps us in the long term. My question is with just 2 meals a day, are folks getting some severe lows, or rebound eating too much, and then getting highs? I think the meals still have to be planned to ensure a reasonable number of calories and appropriate foods. I for one am really bad about rebound eating and unplanned eating. Today I ate a bunch of mini chocolate bars in my Dad's place, because I was in the car during lunch time and was hungry and there was no food in the house. SO there I was out of control again.
Good luck folks with the IF

pattygirl63
05-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Trish, there is a guy in England who has a book called the "fast diet" which is having 2 days a week where the person only takes in 600-800 calories in the day.
I don't know what effect these have on blood sugar in the short term, but any weight loss helps us in the long term. My question is with just 2 meals a day, are folks getting some severe lows, or rebound eating too much, and then getting highs? I think the meals still have to be planned to ensure a reasonable number of calories and appropriate foods. I for one am really bad about rebound eating and unplanned eating. Today I ate a bunch of mini chocolate bars in my Dad's place, because I was in the car during lunch time and was hungry and there was no food in the house. SO there I was out of control again.
Good luck folks with the IF

Madeliene Here is the way to the website so you can read it...

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2010/10/19/intermittent-fasting-what-it-is/

fatmad
05-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Well, has been quiet around here lately. DD made her zucchini strips as noodles lasagna tonight, and it was yummy again. My Dad is here for a week to recover after being in the hospital for 3 weeks. He tires quite easily, but is game for anything. I have him eating lots of fermented and probiotic food to get his gut back to normal after 3 weeks of antibiotics, and we have to fatten him up, and get my weight down at the same time. We'll see how that goes. Planning for lots of gardening this weekend. Hope you are all getting and enjoying good weather.
If anyone is down there in Tornado alley, our thoughts and prayers are with
you. May the wind blow fair.

Butterfly50
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey guy's sorry been missing for a few days but I have been busy. Well my aunts daughter had surgery on her foot she will be out 8 weeks and she is still scheduled to have her surgery on the 13th of june. Been busy we finally got our pool up and now I have been busy cleaning the garage and stuff. today was the last day of school and my daughter passed with flying colors. She is in 10th next year she has all honors classes she does well.

All is ok here my weight is still up my stomach has been giving me a fit taken the 1000 metformin in the am and the pm. Don't know what to do it has been given me a fit.

I hope all is going well for everyone.

Wannabehealthy
06-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Bonnie - Congratulations to your daughter on her good grades!

I hate to be critical of your doctor, but he upped your Metformin from 500 1Xday to 1000 2Xday. That is a pretty big jump and that could be why you are having the stomach problems. Do you have any of your 500's left? If so, maybe you could take 500 2Xday for a week or so and then increase it. I know I should not be urging you to change your meds without your doctor's approval, so maybe you could call the doctor and discuss it. My Metformin was increased gradually from 500 2Xday, then to 500 3X day and now to 850 3Xday. I had issues when I first started Metformin, but none since then as my body got used to it.

Mad - I also would love the zucchini strip lasagne. A restaurant we go to serves zucchini parm and sometimes eggplant parm and I like to order that. It's very similar to zucchini lasagne. My husband loves lasagne and I have hinted around about making it with zucchini or eggplant and he isn't interested. I wish he was more willing to try new things. I alway say "The next time I get married I'm going to marry someone who will eat whatever I put in front of him." LOL Truthfully, I don't intend for there to be another time.

Hope you Dad is doing better.

Trish - Hope you are doing well with your Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and IF.

Ruth - Hope your BS is under control and you get a good A1c.

Ruthxxx
06-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Closing this thread shortly but wanted to post in here that I am so happy you chicks have kept this thread going. I have been remiss in posting because I am too darned busy these days. I will try to do better in June.

Wannabe, try making lasagna with one lawyer of thin zucchini or of eggplant and see if he notices.

Trish, how are you finding things now that the kids have gone? Better?

Bonnie, I agree that some of the tummy problems are probably from the abrupt increase in the Met. My doc put me on it very gradually and I had only minor tummy problems. Congratulations to your DD!

Mad, So good that you can take care of your Dad. I wish him a speedy recovery to normal life. I've never made lasagna with zucchini but have done so with butternut squash. Worth a try later in the season.

See y'all in the June thread!