40-Somethings - MAY Chat

View Full Version : MAY Chat

Moondance
05-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I'll get the May chat thread going!

Hope you all have a successful, On-plan month!!

Moondance
05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Happy Thursday! :D It's also National Salad Month! :carrot:
Loss has been slow but steady. Now that I'm well again (had a HORRENDOUS cold a couple of weeks ago) I'm back with exercising and on plan with food.

Hope you all have a great, on-plan day!

newleaf123
05-02-2013, 11:26 PM
National Salad Month?? What will they think of next??! I will have to tell my boys; they think I am nuts because of the vast quantities of salad that I eat daily... Now I can tell them it's in honor of the special month! LOL

:broc::carrot::broc:

LuvCats
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Wow hard to believe May is here already. Already the 3rd and hardly anyone here. Strange!

Lol I have never heard of national salad month either.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Moondance
05-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Happy Friday! :D It's also National Two Different Colored Shoes Day. :shrug:

Had a great eating and exercising day yesterday! Scale showed it this morning too, down another pound. But it's not official...that's Tuesdays.

Otherwise, busy-busy at work, DD#1 came home from college yesterday, and gearing up for my audition on Mother's Day. Nope...nothin' to do. :D

newleaf123: I found this fun website that lists all the Holiday/awareness/recognition months-weeks-days. Today is also No Pants Day, Lumpy Rug Day, and Tuba Day (among others). Good thing we don't need a "holiday" to enjoy our salads! You should tell your boys it's a REQUIREMENT to eat salad on that day!

LuvCats: I know...May is here already. I'm thinking folks are out and about, plus this time of year begins all the end-of-school-year stuff and keeps families busy. I know I'll keep coming here. It keeps me honest and focused. Hope you have a great day too!

mboo
05-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Happy FridayAll!
I HopeEveryonE HaS A GreatWeekend!!

vdander24
05-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi Everyone! Happy May :-) Just stopping by to say hello. I just started back last week, on May 1st, so I am just getting back into the swing of things. Hope everyone is starting off the month strong!

bbrides
05-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Hello everyone-
My weight loss has been slow, but creeping down little by little. My annual gyn appt. was last week and my doctor congratulated me for not gaining in a year. I told her I actually had gained but have now lost those 7 extra lbs. She was very encouraging about my new healthy eating. She also thinks my pre-menopause has stalled. So crazy.

All in all with 16.5 inches lost, I'm motivated for great May results.

Moondance
05-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Happy Tuesday! :D It's also National Wildflower Week (which to me is funny...way too early here for wildflowers).

Not much to report personally...just truckin' along, following plan!

vdander24: Hello and Welcome! :welcome2:

bbrides: Those are great numbers to build on! It feels good when the Dr. praises your efforts. I didn't know menopause can stall. What does that even mean?

Everyone...have a great, on-plan day!

OtterMommy
05-07-2013, 12:45 PM
National Wildflower Week? Well, if I didn't live in suburbia, I'd probably be cursing the wildflowers for my allergies! Ha ha!

I've been trucking along, but the fact that I'm not really able to breathe is not helping my weight loss efforts. Oh well, at least I get some beautiful weather along with my sneezes!

-Melinda

vdander24
05-08-2013, 12:16 AM
How is it we are already a week into May? It has been chilly and raining here in So. Cal, so a little gloomy. Weight loss has been ho hum, be I am not really surprised. (had a fun weekend, but not on plan) so getting into the swing. Hang in there everyone! tomorrow is HUMP day!

LuvCats
05-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Can't believe it is May 7th and we are still on page 1! Very strange!

Welcome vdander (and any others who are new here)! Getting back in the swing after you go off is the key.

Lol Moondance I had no idea about the special week. My grandmother used to take trips to photograph wildflowers. I have a whole bunch of her pics I have no clue what to do with but I just can't throw them away.

Pretty good here... my middle daughter is home from college for a couple weeks before she goes off for her summer stuff. She will be here until next Tuesday and then probably not back until Christmas. Oldest daughter will be here this weekend so I will have all 3 girls home (and DH is home too) this weekend. Middle DD is gluten free so have been doing lots of cooking/baking experimentation. Some very yummy (and drat GF is not necessarily low-cal) and some so-so or even bad. It is a whole different way of cooking.

Have a great week everyone. :)

rtardif
05-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Hello everyone. I used to use this site quite regularly, and then I got busy with a new job, and this sort of fell by the wayside. The last time I logged in here was 11-09-2007, according to my user account. I didn't realize it had been that long. But I've gained all of my weight back, plus some for bad measure.

I just got back from vacation and saw myself in our pictures and almost wanted to cry. I was torn between that and kicking myself really hard. So, here I am again. Five years older, five years wiser, and five years fatter. I loved this site when I was previously active with it. So, I'm going to try this again.

I've decided to get myself a part-time job of exercising, and trying really hard to lose this weight. I know I can do it. Unfortunately, I hit 40 five years ago, and all **** broke loose with my body. Working hard to get all that back in order, too. Other than my weight, the 40's decade has been my best. It would be great to have the weight under control, too.

Anyway, that's my story for now. I'm going to read back in this month's thread and get to know you some. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Take care, Robin

bbrides
05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Moondance- The menopause thing is weird for me because I started to have symptoms (no monthly cycle for 7 or 8 months, night/day sweats, insomnia, abdominal weight gain and mood swings) which I had never had before once I finished with my chemo/radiation treatment. My doctor told me I was young (42) to have those symptoms, but you never know what the body is going to do after those types of treatments. But, now for some reason all the symptoms have stopped except the weight which I'm working on. It is so strange, but I will take a delayed menopause. I'm not happy to have my cycles back, but oh well.

Life is a journey I will gladly take it, just grateful for each day.

Moondance
05-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Happy Wednesday! :D It's also No Socks Day

Super stressful time at work for a last minute event which happens tomorrow afternoon. As a result, didn't sleep well. Plus, I was fasting for a blood draw this morning. I have a mild headache this morning. Didn't think I was so reliant on coffee, but apparently I am. TOM arrived yesterday, but still sitting at 185. Gotta find that silver lining...

OtterMommy: Allergies are the pits! Hard to enjoy the flowers when the make you so miserable!

vdander24: Hope you're getting back into the swing of things. One day at a time, right?

LuvCats: Our page is pretty slow these days. But I'll keep coming, as it really helps keep me on track. What is it about things like Grandma's pictures? I somehow got picked at the family history keeper. I have photos, bibles, plates, flags, coins, medals, wine glasses, yearbooks... Don't have the heart to throw any of it away. Your house must be hectic with everyone home. But I'm guessing it's a fun, love-filled kind of hectic. I've been hearing lots about gluten-free diets. Are you finding good recipes to try? I know there are some product in the store now too. Our favorite pizza place offers a gluten-free crust option too. Enjoy the family time!!

rtardif: Glad to have you back! Try not to focus on the past other than to learn some lessons. Look forward, make plans and go! I love your exercise as a part-time job. That's kind of what I've done this time too, and 4 months later, I'm still exercising regularly. I look forward to hearing more from you!

bbrides: I'm glad some of the harder symptoms of menopause have gone away. Hope the weight does too!

rtardif
05-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Hello everyone. I'm trying to create a few new habits, such as drinking more water, watching less TV, being more active in general, eating healthier, and checking in here. I've heard it takes six weeks to develop a habit. One day down! Woohoo! :carrot:

Took my dog to play in the river tonight, and then he, one of my cats, and I went for a walk. The walk was really slow with the cat coming along. But she loves to join us. Sometimes she walks almost a mile with us. That's a lot for a little cat. We live out in the country, and she has lots to investigate on our walks.

Moondance: Best wishes for tomorrow. Hope all goes well with your big event.

Ottermommy: I feel your pain with your allergies. I am allergic to everything outside. What I have found to work for me is I take two different allergy meds, Claritin and Allegra, the 24-hour kind, and take them 12 hours apart every day. So, I take the Claritin at 7 AM and the Allegra at 7 PM. And I do that almost year round. I received four allergy shots every week for two years. At the end of the two years, I was retested, and I was actually worse. Some things I just can't go near, such as hay, and I have to deal with that. But the double dose of the meds helps with enough that it allows me to feel somewhat normal.

To everyone else: Have a great rest of the week.

Robin

Moondance
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Happy Thursday! :D It's also Intimate Apparel Week (insert cat call here).

I'm on a kind of roll here, not eating much, exercising a lot. Scale said 184 this morning. Down another pound. That makes me quite happy! I may have a drink or two tonight, so I might go back up. But after the stressful week I've had, I feel I deserve it.

rtardif: It must be hard living in the country with your allergies. I'm glad you've found a solution that you can live with. I love the visual of your cat going along for your walk! We have a rescue cat with no claws, so she doesn't go outside. DD#2 bought a harness for her to take her out on walks, but we can't get her in the harness...she's too fat! Today will be day #2 of habit forming behaviors. Congratulations!!

Moondance
05-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Happy Friday! :D

Yesterday's event went off without a hitch. Very satisfying!! Didn't get on the scale today but I didn't have much time to eat yesterday. I did have a beer though. But it's all good. Now for audition preparations.

Hope you have a great, on-plan day! :wave:

junem
05-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Crappy Saturday weather. Got the Fat Tire bike out of the garage and rode anyway. Patting myself on the back! :)

NEMom
05-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Hope everyone had a wonderful Mothers Day! I have been MIA for a while. Totally off plan both eating and exercising wise. I did not get on the scale this morning because I don't want the bad news. I am going to have one good solid week on plan and then I will step on the scale and see what damage I have done.
The weather if finally warming up here. Yesh, we had snow in May for crying out loud. The sunshine is so nice.
I will be checking in on a regular basis to keep myself in line. I refuse to regain the weight I worked so hard to lose.

NEMom
05-15-2013, 01:05 PM
On plan for two days in a row. Working on day three today. We are going out of town on Friday and it is always so hard to stay on plan. Really going to work on it. I need to move forward and not back.

Moondance
05-15-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm getting a little frustrated...three times I've tried posting and have gotten errors (and no post). Hope this one sticks...

Auditions were great, got a callback and that was good too. If I don't get the part, it's because I'm too tall or too short, too old or too young, too blonde, etc. Not because I'm not capable.

NEMom: Glad to see you back and staying on plan. Keep at it!

junem: WTG getting out there!

MrsTryingAgain
05-16-2013, 03:11 AM
Well, I know I've been MIA. I'm sorry, but I've had to put basically everything on hold. :( All I've been able to accomplish is going to work, taking H to what seems like 100s of drs. appts.
He is doing better. He still has stitches in his left foot. He'll get them out June 5th if everything goes according to plan. It's been just a lot of tiring work. However, we are going on vaca on Monday! I'm actually off starting on Fri. evening & won't be back til Memorial Day! :woohoo:
Yes, I was hoping to be down weight-wise by the time vaca came along, but life doesn't always go according to plan. As so many you know. That's okay. My new offical start date will be June 10th or sooner, depending on how H does. Keep your fingers crossed! :crossed:

NEMom: Don't give up! Keep trying! I'm right behind you...I'm just going to hold off til H is completely healed so I can concentrate more.
junem: Good job on getting on your bike! Congrats!!
Moondance: Sorry you didn't get the role. One day, you'll find the perfect role! Go for it!!
rtardif: Good job on creating good habits! Keep it up! I think it's awesome when all the animals want to join in the walk! When I'd go to my cousin's place we'd have a whole "zoo" go with us! 3 dogs & 1 or 2 cats...such fun!

Well, I gotta head to bed. I had to pop in & let everyone know...I'm alive, I'm struggling, but I'm not giving up just yet. I have a lot on my plate still, H has drs. appts usually 2 or 3 a week. UGH! But hopefully those are coming to an end SOON!
Cyber hugs to you all!!! :hug: BE HEALTHY! BE AWESOME! ROCK BEING THOSE 40-SOMETHINGS!!! :D

Moondance
05-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Happy Thursday! :D Did you also know it's Salute to Moms 35+ Week?

Had my annual check-up. All my blood work came back good. Vitamin D is the only supplement I'm supposed to take (my count is HALF of what it should be!). That makes me feel good. All my hard work is paying off. Yipee!

Moondance: Sorry you didn't get the role. One day, you'll find the perfect role! Go for it!!

I don't know if I got the role or not yet. We find out tonight... I'm sorry you're being run ragged. I'm so proud of you to hear that you haven't given up but just put on hold until you can focus on you again. We're thinking of you and H!

NEMom
05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
It's my Friday. Cheer me on. I have a four day weekend, we are going to SD and I must stay on plan! We will also be going to SD Memorial Day weekend and I need to stay on plan then too. My 25th year High School reunion is at the end of June. I do not have many fond memories of high school and have not attended any of the other reunions but am looking forward to this one. I want to be back to to 160 at least.

Mrs.Trying - I am so sorry about all the health troubles your DH is experiencing. I know they are very stressful! I hope you have a wonderful, fabulous vacation!!!
Moondance- Keeping my fingers crossed and double crossed for you. I am glad that your auditions went well!

Prying for some sunshine so we can play on the water a bit this weekend. They are forecasting rain, and yes we need it but I need some fun too darn it.

Have a great weekend all!!!

kelijpa
05-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Hello all, just a quick check in. Getting back on plan, just in time to go on vacation, will try and keep up the activity as much as I can!

See you later! Keep on keeping on!
:sunny:

ukemama
05-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Totally fell of the face of the earth... Mea culpa

Between DD breaking her arm a few weeks ago, baseball, band, soccer (yes, you still have to go to games even though you are in a cast and can't play), working overtime and DH being out of town for a week, I have had no time for me. Until today! Today is my first day of summer break!

Preschool finished up yesterday; I always cry when my "other" babies leave to go to kindergarten. Today I am having coffee on my porch, reading the paper and then planting some annuals. Then the "real" work starts. Grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning - blech! I think that I will take a break today and watch a movie in the basement and try to get a short nap in.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Moondance
05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Happy Friday! :D It's also National Bike to Work Day. :bike2:

Had a bit of a shock this morning...scale read 183! Down another 2 pounds. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm a bit dehydrated, but to see those numbers on the scale was something else! I haven't been under 185 in about 12 years. Pants are getting baggy...things are looking pretty good!

Still no word on the role in the musical. The reason is the director didn't like his choices for the character Sweeney Todd, so he auditioned more men last night. He won't announce the whole cast list until he's got everyone. It's been a long week of waiting!

NEMom: Glad to see you checking in. Hope your weekend is fun and on plan! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather too.

kelijpa: Have fun on your vacation too! Keeping active will help offset the extra food. Enjoy!

ukemama: Glad to see you back. Life gets in the way sometimes, but the important part is you came back as soon as you could. End of the school year is always tough, isn't it!

Moondance
05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Happy Saturday! :D

I GOT THE PART!

Say hello to Mrs. Lovett!
I'm on the moon. :D

LindaWW
05-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Congratulations on your part, Mrs. Lovett! So happy for you!

mboo
05-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Congrats Moondance!

MrsTryingAgain
05-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Been busy packing for our camping trip to the northern CA coast! Leave bright & early Monday AM!!! WOO HOO!!! :woohoo:
I promise to do 2 things on vaca:
1. Walk each day. Easy, because where we are going...it's beautiful!
2. Take photos & post them upon return. Easy, because it's beautiful where we are going!
H is doing well. He is really looking forward to some fishing. I'm looking forward to him having something to occupy himself with! ;)
We are going to MacKerricher State Park in Ft. Bragg CA. It has miles of beach, a fresh water lake, tons of wildlife & amazing scenery. I used to go there every summer as a child. I started taking H there when we married. Haven't been there in years, but it's always amost like going home for us.

moondance: SWEEEEEEET! Congrats! :encore:An actress in our midst! May I have your autograph? ;)
NEMom: Keep pluggin' away! I'm kinda of starting while away from home. I think it might be just what I need for a jumpstart. And since I'm going to be doing a lot of the work around the campsite...I'll be busy enough. How are things going with your son? I know school is almost out. Hope he ends feeling more positive about school/education. :hug:

ukemama: I know what you mean! Where April & most of May went is beyond me!!! Seems like all it's been is work, going to the hospital or to the drs. I'm just glad it is basically over! :whoo: I'm just doing what I can to be sure once that day comes, I'm still standing & I'm mostly healthy. Do try to find some time for you, it'll help you through it.

kelijpa: Enjoy your vaca! Hope you have a great time, too! We'll compare notes when we both get back. :)

Gotta scoot. Need to sleep. Got to finish everything up tomorrow & then we're outta here! Cyber-hugs to you all!! :hug::hug:
:drill::drill:BE HEALTHY! BE AWESOME!:drill::drill:
:dust::dust::dust::dust:

kelijpa
05-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Moondance - :congrat:

Ukemama - welcome back, I've been mia myself, it's good to come back, isn't it?!

MrsTA - enjoy your vacation, sounds wonderful!! Love camping :)

kelijpa
05-19-2013, 09:24 AM
rtardif-welcome, great start, best of luck with your allergies, sounds like you've got something of a solution, that's great. Cat walking, reminds me my mom's cat used to kind of walk with us in the woods, he'd be nearby, but doing his own thing, sometimes if he couldn't see you he'd start meowing to get you to come closer to where he was...:D

SeeMyFeet
05-20-2013, 12:17 AM
OH Ms MOONDANCE!!! I am soooo happy for you, Hunny-Bunny!!! Wow, dreams do come true....hard work does pay off...cliche...chiche...I hope you enjoy every second of rehearsals, performances, etc. I cannot imagine performing in front of so many people--what courage and spunk you have! But, I can imagine how much fun you will be having. I wanna hear all about the behind-the-scenes drama and I wanna come see you perform!! :carrot:

Hey MsT! You've crossed the river to the other side....finally!...I hope you have a relaxing and muscle-building vacation! Sounds fabulous.

Hello again KelliJeepa...I haven't been keeping up here either. Too much going on...sigh...

Not gonna get much sleep tonight.....turns out....there is a bad side to having a techno kid...he was playing with the garage door opener...now one of our neighbor's remotes can open our door (we think)...cannot figure out which neighbor it is...oh well...*strangles boy*

newleaf123
05-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Just read through this thread...

moondance congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!!

neMom and mrsTryingAgain hang in there...

I'm on my iPad... So quick hi to everyone else! I'm sorry I'm not active on is thread, but I do enjoy catching up... Oh, and I loved the image of the cat going for a walk, too. My 16-pounder sure could use that...

MrsTryingAgain
05-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Vaca was nice. It was awesome to get away, but it was really windy & cold. Made some of the days just miserable. But H & I still had a great time...in spite of it all.
I'm still not really on program. I did however walk every day. I'd get up early, just after dawn...walk to the restrooms, then out a trail to see what I could see in the early morning. Put in about a mile round trip in the awesome quiet. I was able to keep 2 promises...walk often & take tons of pictures. Here are some:
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Overpass_zpsa41c41f1.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/HaullRd_zps7f991fe5.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Deer03_zpsb35619aa.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Sungoingdown2_zps286df549.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Cottontail_zps7f4492d7.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Seal1_zps997955f2.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Camp124_zps67a186bc.jpg
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u596/MrsTryingAgain/Sungoingdown4_zps9aef566c.jpg

Gotta get back to unpacking. Hope all is well with you all! BE HEALTHY!!!

2FatCats
05-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the new folks, welcome back to all of us that have been MIA!
I've been lurking and hanging out but not posting much here. Still living in maintenance and figuring that out. It's the hardest part, I think!

MrsT: Stunning pics! Thank you for sharing. Makes me miss Oregon and the coastline there.

Moondance: Belated CONGRATS! I could never get up in front of allthose people. You are brave in so many ways!

I have a cat that could use the walking, too. All 22 lbs of him. He's big-boned...

Hope all are well and on-plan!

Moondance
05-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Happy Monday! :D And Happy Memorial Day!

We had a nice time camping for a couple of nights. Got a little chilly at night, but the days were nice! Went for a 4.5 mile hike and thoroughly enjoyed all the new spring growth with snow-capped peaks against a clear blue sky. Heaven in my book! I even made it out relatively unscathed with my butter-friendly cooking friend (though I did have a second piece of cherry pie!). Not gaining is a win for me in this scenario.

Had some tragic news when we got back in cell phone range. The 19 year old daughter of a family we're good friends with was killed. I haven't talked to the family yet...I can only imagine how much they're world has come crashing down. They have lots of family in town and are surrounded by them now. I know from past experience that it's being there for her in the long term that will help most. Such a profound loss for a child to die.

Thank you everyone for the congratulations. It's very satisfying when hard work pays off. DD#2 didn't get a role (but is in the ensemble), so that disappointment has been hard to deal with. So far rehearsals are going well.

MrsTryingAgain: GREAT pictures! Looks like an awesome place camping, even with the wind. So glad you and H got time away to enjoy yourselves. Even if you're not on an official Program, you've learned lessons that are making a difference...you're walking whenever you can! WTG!!

SeeMyFeet: Your garage door problem makes me chuckle. Hope you've got it figured out!

2FatCats: Glad you're still with us, even if you don't post much. I hope someday to have your problem. Don't worry, you'll get it figured out. Oh, and you made me LOL...Big-boned cat! ha!

newleaf123: Nice to see you! Even if you can't check in daily, do it when you can. We all enjoy hearing from you!

Have a great rest of your weekend!

MrsTryingAgain
05-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Back on track. Still having an issue trying to get my exercise in. Seems like I'm constantly at work or taking H to drs. appt. Hopefully these will be at an end soon. Hope all of your are well! Keep up the good fight!!!

kelijpa
06-02-2013, 08:27 AM
MrsTA- beautiful pics! Love camping and the great outdoors!

Moondance- so sorry to hear about your friends' tragedy, that is so sad, you're right about being there for the long haul, one of my friends lost a baby at full term, she said much later that it meant so much to her when she would get a card or call "thinking of you" later on, she said it felt like many people expressed sympathy right away and then seemed to forget.

Inspired and motivated to kick it up a notch in June.
wishing you all the best :sunny:

newleaf123
06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Finally got to see your photos, mrsTryingAgain. What a beautiful setting!! I've never camped near the ocean like that... would love to!