Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default BMR and modifiying calorie intake

I don't know if I have this right. And its freaking me out a bit.

Right now I'm 232 lbs and have a limit of 1600 cals a day. Sometimes I hit that number, majority of the time I'm under to some degree.

My question is, when I'm say, 200 lbs, to lose 2 pounds per week, with moderate exercise, according to my BMR calculator to maintain that weight I'd eat 2698 calories a day. So to lose 2 pounds a week (-1000), I'd be eating 1600 cals a day. Now this is where I'm confused.

I've decided to eat 1600 cals a day because that's what I feel takes me to get full and not have any weird side effects. LoseIt! came up with 1700 cals a day, I chose 1600.

NOW, if I'm 232 and eating 1600 cals a day, and according to my BMR when I'm 200 pounds, to lose 2 pounds a week I'd be eating the same amount. That's what worries me. Will I still lose 2 pounds a week (approximately, I know) even though I'm eating the same amount. (I am going to be exercising I'm just excluding that right now as that won't change). Or will I need to cut back THEN.

I don't know if anyone will understand that. I think I just confused myself.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

You definitely should be lowering your calories as you lose weight. I've decided to change my calorie goal every time i lose 10%. I started off at 211 and was eating 1650 calories and stuck with that until I hit 190. I now eat 1500 calories a day. It's weird but the 150 calories make a huge difference.

If I were you, I'd start at 1698- what your BMR calculator said minus 1000 calories and also pretty similar to the Lose It app. You can then go down to 1600 once you hit 200. If you start too low you're going to end up having to go even lower once you've lost weight to keep it up. Also you should have no problem losing weight eating 1700.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Yep, always start higher because it's easier to take it lower, and I'm sure your height factored into that as well. I'm at the moment 183 and I eat 1550 calories, around there. I was eating 1800 and that worked but as I lost I reduced the ammout I intake
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I think those numbers just end up making people crazy sometimes. I like to use those BMR calculators as a starting point and then throw them out the window.

If you're losing weight on what you're eating, you're golden. If you're not, drop it down some. There's never going to really be an "eat x amount lose x weight in x amount of time" that stays consistent over the long haul.

Last edited by Vex; 05-02-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

What others have said. Decrease your cals as you decrease your weight. I started at 225 and ate 1800 per day. Now I am at 150 and eat 1500 per day. I gradually changed my intake. I use lose it at took their calorie advice. If you go too low at first, you will have no where to go later on and may experience a stall.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #6  

I think I'm already experiencing a stall. It's been almost a week and the scale hasn't changed. Like I said I've been eating 1600 cals. Should I bump that up to 1700 to get out of this stall? or Will that ruin my success so far?

Ahh I hope I didn't screw myself over already. If I did I'm probably going to cry.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Remington, breathe. Have you just started exercising? When I added exercise to my regimen, it stalled me out for close to a month (on the scale - I was losing inches). It takes time for your body to adjust from being a gaining/maintaining machine, to a burning machine.

You won't stick to a plan where you're starving, so you're doing the right thing in eating intuitively and to fullness. Play around a bit, and like Vex said, throw the calculators out the window. In my case they're at best a rough guide, because the heavier you are, the more they overestimate.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Remington, breathe. Have you just started exercising? When I added exercise to my regimen, it stalled me out for close to a month (on the scale - I was losing inches). It takes time for your body to adjust from being a gaining/maintaining machine, to a burning machine.

You won't stick to a plan where you're starving, so you're doing the right thing in eating intuitively and to fullness. Play around a bit, and like Vex said, throw the calculators out the window. In my case they're at best a rough guide, because the heavier you are, the more they overestimate.
In.... Out...
I'm trying .

I over analyze EVERYTHING. I need to get myself in gear with exercise and stick to it hardcore. That's why I posted in the May Exercise/weight loss challenge. I need to be accountable to someone.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 303/303/190

Height: 5'9"

Please help!! After figuring my bmr/tdee using the Harris Benedict Formula to lose 1.5 pounds a week puts my calories about 50 under my bmr. Is this ok? My bmr is 1872, tdee is 2574 and to lose 1.5 pounds a week is 1824.
dms6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington90 View Post
I think I'm already experiencing a stall. It's been almost a week and the scale hasn't changed. Like I said I've been eating 1600 cals. Should I bump that up to 1700 to get out of this stall? or Will that ruin my success so far?

Ahh I hope I didn't screw myself over already. If I did I'm probably going to cry.
A week is not a stall. Remember weight loss is NOT linear you go up a bit, and down a bit more.

If you can calorie cycle and stick with to your average you may find it helps. At 232 you should be at at average of 1800 cals a day for a decent loss.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 05-03-2013 at 09:38 AM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote