Chicks in Control - Binge-free in May!

View Full Version : Binge-free in May!

inglesita64
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi everybody! So nice to see we are all trying to control what and why we eat! Let's use this this thread to share our experiences in May... Stay strong!

surfergirl2
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I'm in. I'm 100% sure i'll remain binge-free as long as i am not on a "diet." If i want to eat, i'll eat. If i HONESTLY feel the need to eat half a dozen cookies, i'll do so and i'm not calling it a binge. It's just food.

Chrys666
05-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm in.

chickie32
05-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm in, too!

EliseVi
05-01-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm in as well! Loved the April binge-free challenge thread.

I had a binge last night so I'm starting clean and fresh on this first day of May. I am setting a mini-goal of a week...and I'll build from there so I don't have too much pressure!

KristenFlynn3
05-01-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm in!! I feel like if I get my binging under control, other thing in life will slowly fall into place..yay for a binge free may!

Chronostasis
05-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm in! I did make some homemade flourless cookies today, and went a little overboard on those...ate about 300 kcal's worth. Not counting it as a binge though, because I didn't completely lose self-control and it's not enough to set me over my calories for the day.

Renniekins
05-01-2013, 05:23 PM
No binging!?!?!

I can make a goal this month to be under super self control. I need to get a hold of my eating habits. Not only of what I eat, but how much I eat. I give myself an inch, and then POOF, I fall back a mile (or 100 miles...).

Self control self control self control self control self control...!!!

seabiscuit
05-01-2013, 07:34 PM
What a great thread! So, for me to be successful at this, I need to be more careful with what I purchase. Hmmm, I think I will start with eliminating some carbs...

I hope we can all continue to support each other through this. Binging has always been so upsetting to me and I am ready to end it.

kk2323
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm joining today even though it's the 2nd and even though last night I binged. I've been out of control for a few days and I need some support.

Good luck to everyone!

ggirl71
05-02-2013, 01:34 PM
I am in also -

Candeka
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm joining today even though it's the 2nd and even though last night I binged. I've been out of control for a few days and I need some support.

Good luck to everyone!

Me too. We will just pretend last night didn't happen! I wonder if focusing on "I can go a month without a binge" will actually help me. I like challenges so hopefully I will be able to do it!

chickie32
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
This challenge helped me so much in March. I really need accountability! So yesterday was day 1 without binging and I already feel better today. Even though I feel horrible and bloated when I binge I still do it. Crazy. Here's to getting through today just eating what I need!

PaintedPonies
05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Day 12 is coming to a close.

I did well today, I got in a 2 hour walk, plus worked dishwashing for the dining hall for a couple hours (on my feet).

I feel like I'm doing really well. I'm eating good portions, going for walks, jogs, and bike rides, and not binging. But I'm not losing weight.
It's frustrating.

inglesita64
05-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Don't worry about not losing. It will happen eventually. Feeling in control is the first step! If you are exercising more than usual, you may be retaining water to heal muscle. Keep working that way!

seabiscuit
05-03-2013, 01:48 AM
I love the support here on this thread and in all of these forums...

I don't know why I am up at almost 2 am, what time it is now and guess what, I want to eat biscotti. I said in my previous post that I was going to not eat so many carbs. Maybe I will have a glass of skim milk instead.

I agree, the accountability factor is important to me. It's great that we have each other here to support one another.

I placed my first supermarket order online last night. I think it went pretty well but I added in a few starchy snacks that I didn't need. I didn't order that many though and maybe I will put them into separate Ziploc bags when they arrive.

Good night. Maybe now, I will finally drift off to zzzland - my snoresabee! Sweet dreams.

Take care.

Bunnydream
05-03-2013, 02:01 AM
I am in, too! Binge-free May!

I feel a bit afraid at the moment though.

I've been counting my calories on LoseIt since last monday and it's been great, but I can barely sleep at night. I am going to weigh myself on Saturday and I am anxious to get the first 5 pounds off. I keep having dreams that I go to the fridge and cook fries and burgers and just all the food I'm craving! I'm afraid that I'm going to binge, or almost have already, even though I have been counting and keeping track.
Like for instance, I'm trying to JUST count calories, and I am well within my budget, but I ate foods like ice cream and pizza pops because I wanted something bad. I still counted the calories that day and didn't go over, but for some reason I am agonizing over what I've even eaten today.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Obviously I need to calm down and I'm almost being obsessive, I see that, but what can I do to calm myself without completely cheating?

I can't sleep at night no matter how hard I try. I just want the next day to come so I can hit the gym. Did anyone else have this happen to them?

EskaDee
05-03-2013, 04:38 AM
PaintedPonies congratulations on reaching day 12! The same thing happens to me -not bingeing and then still not losing weight. I figure my body is just hanging on to the food I binged on for a while before it lets go and then the scales finally move. Keep strong!
SeaBiscuit I hope you made a good choice at 2 am and figured out what was keeping you up. I know it is helpful for me to have a few 'treats' occasionally and I have to work really hard not to beat myself up about it. You can eat some of the snacks you like in moderation, it sounds like you have a good plan!
Bunnydream I think that your obsessiveness affects a lot (all?) of people when they start counting calories and work on losing weight. I spend so much of my waking hours thinking about what I am going to eat, what I am not going to eat, how much exercise did I do, how can I exercise more, is there more calories in that or this, should I just eat it anyway cos I want it etc... that it starts to take over your 'sleeping hours' and your dreams. I can imagine that if you are feeling anxious on top of that, then it would extend into sleeplessness too. I think, for me, it has been one of those things that I have just adjusted to. When you see the scales move, then it seems worth it somehow! You just have to be careful to remember that there is more to life than weight loss, and not let it take over - even though that seems so hard in the beginning!

I'm feeling particularly proud as I managed to avoid a binge yesterday after I had a free personal training session at my new gym! I genuinely thought I was about to die only 10 minutes in, and all I could think was 'I wonder what thing I shouldn't have eaten did this to me?!!' I'm too young to be worrying that my heart is about to stop because I am so overweight and I not only didn't binge, but I ate healthily the rest of the day and I'm feeling so motivated today as well. I hope I can carry that horrible feeling with me whenever I go to the supermarket to avoid buying the things I will binge on. I have a feeling May is going to be a good month for kicking the binges forever!!!
Wow, sorry that was so long! I hope everyone else is having a good day today.

TexaninItaly
05-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Can I join your anti binge group? I think it will help me stay in control.

Last night I ate a pint of ice cream followed by 3 chocolate power bars in a row. :frypan:

That pretty much constitutes a binge.... so today is my first day of being binge free.

themilesawaygirl
05-03-2013, 06:12 AM
I haven't done any exercise or logged my food since Monday. I know that i've definitely eaten too much, but I don't think I've had a binge. So lets say this is successful for May.

I say I don't *think* as I'm never sure where I cross the line from snacking too much to full-on binging. It's the level of self control - if I snack too much but stop before everything's all gone, then I guess that's a small victory.

seabiscuit
05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Hi again! Welcome to the newbies on this thread, I am new on this thread too...

I did have skim milk earlier but then I went back for the biscotti, but hey, at least it was one piece and it was biscotti not cake, right? At least I know now that the skim milk is satisfying to me, so perhaps I drink that again instead of reaching for the food. I think satisfaction, taste, texture, are all key for me.

This is great that we have a place to support each other.

Here's a thought provoking question chicks, why do you think you binge? I do it out of response to stress or other emotion.

Have a nice day...

:sunny:

inglesita64
05-03-2013, 08:56 AM
I am not bingeing now, but when I did it was because I thought I was not good enough. I discovered that feeling was the reason for most of my fits...
As to cravings, lowering the amount of carbs and "cleaning our palate" works wonders. We tend to eat what we last ate, so we need to break the cycle so our cravings are sort of reoriented to other foods. Of course you won't "crave" lettuce, but at least you will stop thinking obssessively about other foods.
And as to obssessing over your weight, it is quite "normal"! At least in this web site! LOL But really, slow down, Bunnydream, give your body the time it needs to lose weight. You cannot rush it.
Congrats to us all, who are avoiding binges and growing more aware of our real needs!

Bunnydream
05-03-2013, 10:30 AM
EskaDee- Yeah, I just have a lot of extra stress and I'm making a huge change in my lifestyle. In a month or two I will be switching jobs and starting my Esthetician program in late aug. Which is very exciting but also nerve-wracking. But hey, I have anxiety issues so I have to make sure I keep it in check! I'm the biggest worry-wart ever. But I can do this, I know I can. I'm determined to stay binge free! Once I see the scale move I will probably calm down haha. Thank you for the advice.

And yes, I need to give it actual time! Good weight loss isn't rushed!

seabiscuit
05-03-2013, 02:43 PM
I am glad I joined this site and this thread! I am a bit nervous because I ordered my groceries online and they will be delivered soon. Some of the food that I ordered is healthier than others but there aren't any pastries this week in the order which is big for me! I ordered some foods that I am afraid of overeating on, I don't want to binge. I think now that I am more aware of not wanting to binge, I'll limit myself to a certain amount. I want to get freed of this obsession with food and be successful, hopefully I will do that finally.

Thanks for listening. Be well.

inglesita64
05-05-2013, 12:59 AM
There's cake and icecream in the fridge, and I just had a scoop of icecream and stopped! Isn't that great? :cp:

EskaDee
05-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Way to go, inglesita64, I'm proud of you!

So far, I have managed to avoid bingeing since I started the gym properly last Thursday. I have felt the cravings, my brain was trying to talk me into stopping off on the way home from a friend's today to either buy all the food in the supermarket or just to get 'something little' from any fast food restaurant it could talk me into and I resisted. According to the scales this morning, I lost 3lbs and the thought of that and the memory of the horrendous gym incident kept me away from the food. I really, really hope that the memory will keep me away from bingeing as I am so sick of it now.
I'm sending positive weekend vibes out to everyone that's struggling today.

EliseVi
05-05-2013, 01:23 PM
EskaDee, congrats on going to the gym and preventing yourself from bingeing....and congrats on being three pounds down! Woo hoo.

Inglesita64 -- that is MAJOR. Wow. Good for you!

TheMilesAwayGirl -- Whenever I can finish a meal and feel satisfied, not stuffed or over-full, I count that as a victory. Sometimes I do eat more than I really "need" or I find myself eating quickly if I'm stressed, but if I can be tuned into my body, I'm pretty darn pleased with myself!

TexanInItaly -- Your emoticon made me chuckle! Good for you for stopping the binge after one night and starting fresh! It's often way too easy to make excuses to let binges go on and on for hours and days. (That just can't be me, can it?!) Day one/Hour one can start whenever you say!

I've been exercising a lot lately and icing various injuries/sore points. Yesterday I felt really good and exercised a ton, and didn't let myself get negative when I was on the tennis courts seemingly surrounded by women in cute tennis skirts with smooth legs. (If I think about the state of my thighs and upper arms I will just give up and binge.) But today I am up FOUR POUNDS. I saw that this morning and my first thought was of all of the breakfast foods I "might as well go eat," but since part of my May goal is to not let my scale control my mood, I'm reminding myself that swollen muscles retain a lot of water. Plus, I feel so good when I exercise and feel myself getting stronger....I have to remember that being healthy and stronger and not escaping into food are the goals here.

Good luck, everyone. :-)

inglesita64
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Good, EliseVi! That¿s the way to go! It is better to space the weigh-ins, because in women weight fluctuates a lot. Also, we don't want to lose weight, but to lose extra fat, and the scale does not say how much fat we have, how much water, how much muscle... I hear some scales do that, but I sort of don't believe they do what they say they do.
I had a bad breakfast today (croissant, sandwich) with the excuse I would jog afterwards, and it played against me. I did not eat over my calories, but my running was not smooth and easy. I felt I was carring a backpack on each leg! But I jogged for an hour, showered and here I am, ready to go healthy again!
What about the rest of our committed group? Report, report!

freelancemomma
05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm also in! I had a bit of a binge yesterday, so it'll have to be from May 5 to May 31.

I was determined to have a good eating day yesterday, having been a little slipshod in my maintenance regimen over the past few weeks, but then the monkey got on my back. I started with some leftover salmon, then next thing I knew I'd eaten two chocolate bars (which I keep for my kids' lunches), several spoonfuls of Nutella, a frozen yogurt bar and about a cup of Greek yogurt.

My day hadn't been any more stressful than usual, and I certainly haven't been depriving myself of food in recent weeks. I don't think I'll ever fully understand what causes me to binge.

Onward and upward!

Freelance

Bunnydream
05-06-2013, 06:24 AM
I have now been binge-free for 2 weeks. I am so proud of myself.
I too, was tempted with the ice cream...my boyfriend brought my favorite kind (carmel cup sundae) home a week ago and I CONTROLLED myself. I had 1/4 of a cup and stopped. I can't believe it. I would have totally eaten the entire tub usually.
I am worried that the week will come where I have uncontrollable hunger! But that hasn't come to me yet...I am dreading it though! The gym has done wonders for me, I can't help but think that it has something to do with the change in hunger. I haven't been starving myself or skipping meals, so I hope I will continue to be binge-free for May!

krampus
05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
I feel like I need to post here...I went a little crazy at a friend's BBQ yesterday as well as the day before and the day before that. Not on junk specifically but on EVERYTHING, in social situations. See what happens when I try to eat at a deficit? Very disheartening. I feel like my hands are so oversalted I can barely type!

JoJoP
05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Have been doing well for 2 weeks now! Binged on Micky D's a little while back BUT I had forgotten my meds that day, hence the cravings =(

Made 2 batches of cookies this weekend without even wanting to eat them!

inglesita64
05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Jojop, wonderful job with the cookies! I wish I had those meds! LOL
krampus, just stop and breathe... You know you can get back in control, so change the foods you are eating to "clean the palate", lower the carb intake and go back on track. You are not overweight, so you don't need to eat at a deficit at all! I am sure you can regain control! Go girl!

krampus
05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks inglesita, I can't afford another day of noxious terrible gas like today - back to a balanced diet!

seabiscuit
05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi there! I was thinking of this thread recently. How is everyone?

I have not binged yet, yay! I have come pretty darn close though. This thread is helping me a lot!

;)

Teacher2B
05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Oh, binging, my worst enemy :( I am currently on a diet, so I am managing to control it, but exhaustion and stress are making me go off plan and binging on stuff (not junk food, but things like cheese, olives, etc.) As of today, I have already eating olives I shouldn't have :(

inglesita64
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Doing fine here! I have eaten a bit too many carbs, but nothing like a binge. This thread is very good for me too! How is the rest doing?

missunshine
05-08-2013, 01:54 PM
hey girls and welcome to all new faces :)

i've been doing pretty ok, i don't want to jinx myself. even though i don't binge my scale is moving very very slowly...this time i brought it with me to uni so i can be more accountable. i'm going to have to take this slowly now because i wanted to lose 20 pounds by august but with exams at the end of the month i'm not sure if i'll really make it. i think i'm retaining a lot of water because i eat everything as long as i don't go over my calories. and usually it's pasta, pizza, cookies, tortilla wraps, sandwiches...mostly carby stuff

kk2323
05-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi guys,

I wouldn't exactly call it binging, but I don't feel in control this month. I've had so many life stressors that I'm turning a bit to food and I don't feel good about it. Trying to stay mindful of it, but it's hard.

How is everyone else doing?

seabiscuit
05-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey there...

I had what I consider to be a mini binge the other day. I am craving food now and I crave carbs and sweets a lot. Maybe that craving sweets and carbs is hormonal? Well anyways, I don't binge like I used to but I still want to improve.

I am hungry now, sigh.

Pink Hurricane
05-09-2013, 09:33 AM
So I binged on Cinco de Mayo but not on Mexican food, it was my first time eating Thai food! :lol: It was dang good too. But anyways, I've been back on track and have not binged since, so I'm on Day 4 of being binge free for May!

inglesita64
05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Something surprising has happened! I was not binging but my eating was not all healthy... Anyway, as i am maintaing my weight, I did not want to obssess over it. Yesterday I enrolled for a 4k race, my first (yay), and I entered "a new mental zone": I am training to race, and therefore... I sleep longer, I drink more water, and I am not eating junk at all! I am back in my very very controlled days, when food was just food and not love! LOL Hope everyone finds they "good mental zone" and can make this happen, because it feels great to be in control of oneself.

EliseVi
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Wow, Ingelsita64, that is fantastic to view food just as fuel. Yay you!! Have fun training for the 4K! Exciting.

I wish I logged on to this board when I wanted to binge instead of binging. Last night and the night before I binged late at night. I didn't enjoy the food or find comfort. I think a couple of things set me off....I went to a birthday dinner on Sunday night and there was tons of pasta and I let myself have some -- thought it would be good to eat a trigger food in public -- but, pasta is an extra-strength trigger for me and I really need to avoid it for now.

Good luck to anyone struggling today. And to those who are on a healthy path: Hooray, keep it up!

SmurphyKU
05-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Alright, I'm joining in! The beginning of May has NOT gone well for me. I'm determined to turn it around.. tomorrow starts day 1 of no binging!

Ksyrahsirah
05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Day 2 for me in the forum. So far tonight have not had any snacks after dinner. Having folks here who understand, and being able to share my success and failures, is comforting, and is helping tonight! Thank you all just for being here! And props to all of you for your hard work and inspiration!

Charin
05-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Hi, I haven't posted in a long time. I lost about 75 pounds in 2011 which I've kept off. Actually at some point I even got down to my all time lowest of 120.But since the last week of March I've been bingeing. I saw 132 today on the scale. This needs to stop now. I know it's almost mid-month but I need to join for accountability. Today I ate three chocolate chip cookies, a bagel, frozen yogurt with all the toppings. I've been eating my on plan stuff PLUS crap like this almost every day. It used to be I only had treats on the weekends and that worked for maintenance. But I don't know how to stop this new habit.

inglesita64
05-10-2013, 10:53 PM
What could work is, rather than not eat when you feel like eating, eat more of the "legal" stuff. Go crazy with apples, or something else you like... In my case, it is hearts of palm, or pumpkin. After some days of eating only natural fook, artificial flavors won't be so attractive... An lower your carbs, in general. Don't eliminate them, but for some days, cut down on bread and pasta. That will reduce the cravings...
Good luck and strong will power to all new comers! Just 21 days to go!

Charin
05-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks Inglesita. That's helpful. Today I was at 127.8 which felt better though I know it's likely water weight swings due to consuming so many carbs. I don't want to focus on the scale as much because I get obsessed but feel like I have to in the next month or so while I get this under control. And in true pear fashion I feel like any weight gain went straight to my butt and saddlebags. It's barely noticeable to anybody else but I can feel my pants just a but tighter which makes me cringe. And truth is that I look better than ever, smaller clothes still fit me well, they are just not as loose as they were. I am mostly concerned with the behavior which is destructive because I have been hiding food and eating in secret and not even enjoying it. Just like an addict. I am going grocery shopping this morning and restocking on whatever healthy stuff I want.

I lost weight the healthy weight. This craziness started because I joined a 90 day challenge at the gym and the interesting part is that it wasn't as much restricting what I ate because I actually increased my intake to fuel my workouts, but I think the pressure of having a time limit and somebody checking my food log and stats. I finished the challenge, got down to 120 and 15% body fat and then rebelled. UGH I should have known better. I have to do this on my own terms no pressure. My goal for today is not to binge today.

Pink Hurricane
05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Still going strong on Day 6, I have an outing plan for lunch with my friend at Panera, and I already planned what to eat (fat free black bean soup with an apple). Also I am going to make some filling and nutrient dense for dinner. I saw a great recipe for a zucchini and squash with parmesan cheese baked, and then I am going to whip up a little something for the main course.

Weekends are very hard for me since there is always opportunity to eat out or celebrate and I always want to make something super good for my husband and I over the weekend, so I am starting to get favorite recipes and tweak them to be cleaner, more nutrient dense, and not over plan!

inglesita64
05-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Pink Hurricane, Charin, both of you write about similar things: trying to find a way to keep eating clean in a world which presses us to be perfect and also presses us to eat things which only benefit big companies and not us. It's a difficult world!
If each of us could find that which suits our plans, and stick to that, it would be great! To me it is, for now, joining a race and not wanting to arrive last --which is what I fear may happen LOL. I am behaving like a sportsperson, which means mindful eating, water, good rest, exercise. I am not thinking of losing weight, thouth I notice my clothes are looser.
Try to find what works for your life plans, that which will make you want to eat food which is good for you but as part of something bigger. Concentrating only on the scale or the way we look --"I want to lose weight because I am too fat"-- may not work for all of us, or at least not for long enough. Maybe we are using fat as a shield, maybe we are not fat but "disordered" in our eating, maybe we like our bodies the way they are and people pester us and make us think we need to lose weight...
If we are suffering, we need to change our lives, not only what we eat. Eating should become, in my view, part of a bigger picture. How do you see it?

mrslosingit
05-11-2013, 02:35 PM
my food hasn't been good so far for may

Charin
05-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Inglesita thanks for your words of wisdom. You are right, my bigger picture is breaking the cycle of diabetes and other diseases in my family. I also seek to increase the weights I lift. And I plan to run a 5k in the next few months, my first. So all of these goals should lead me to healthy eating habits. It's not about being skinny (hubby actually wouldn't mind more meat on my bones) but fit and strong. Sometimes I forget... Too much emotional eating lately that degenerates into a vicious cycle of sugar and carbs craving then rinse and repeat. Yesterday was a great day. I ate as much as I wanted of the healthy stuff. As much as I wanted. Snacks included Brussels sprouts, cucumber, cherry tomatoes , plum, grapefruit, banana, etc. I ate close to 2,000 cals if not more! And today I weigh 125.8! I must have had some major bloat from all the junk I've been eating. Oh and I noticed myself eating mindlessly some light popcorn my kids left and when I realized it I was able to stop and throw the leftovers away! That's a big thing as lately I've been eating leftovers like I was the trash can. Anyway thank you for your support. My goal for today is to not binge but to nourish and fuel my body with as much unprocessed food as possible. Have a great day!

Charin
05-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Mrslosingit, my food was crappy all month until yesterday. We can turn this around :)

inglesita64
05-12-2013, 12:58 PM
There has to be something to healthy food that puts us on track. I stayed up watching a movie and got hungry at 3 am, so I ate 3 bananas, went to sleep, slept in like a baby, and got up to a lunch of whole wheat crackers. I'm not hungry at all, have half my calories to spare, and feel great!

seabiscuit
05-12-2013, 04:23 PM
:hug: Hey chicks! We CAN be binge free! I send my support to all of you!!

I am doing pretty well but oops, I did have another mini-binge... :^:

I think that the important thing is getting back on track after we slip and realizing that slips aren't the end of the world. Also, I am finding that preventing slips starts in the grocery store, restaurant, eatery, menu, kitchen, it is up to us what we put in our mouth! I know my mini-binge yesterday was because I brought something home that was a trigger food.

Well, here's to getting back on track!

It seems that so much of my food, especially snacks are gone within the first day or two of coming back from the grocery store. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with that?

We can be binge free!! :D

missunshine
05-12-2013, 07:18 PM
i totallly messed up today...i binged on cookies, at least they were whole wheat and didn't taste so good but still. i was on my feet all day yesterday and today and i finally saw scale move two pounds down and today i binged. i knwow i underate yesterday and today but i binged because some people made me very angry and because my plans were spoiled and i felt very anxious.
i know tomorrow will be better but this anxiety and nervousness is always present and i hope it doens't push me overboard again.

Charin
05-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I had a good day today. No binges. Ate everything in moderation and was able to stop without eating boxes full of anything :)

inglesita64
05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes, Missunshine, tomorrow will be better! Just don't look back and start over! As Seabuiscuit says, our secret lies in getting back on track as soon as possible.
I had a problem today: I went out to run 4k to train for my race, and felt too weak to run past 3k. I was really sad, because I have been eating healthy food, but then I realized that I had never been on 1200 cals and run at the same time. I started to run when I sarted maintenance...
So I ate a small dish of ravioli with no sauce, a peach and then jam, to get some energy. As from tomorrow, i will up my calories to 1400, to see if that makes it better...
I never thought I would have to up my calories! Live and learn!
I wish everyone a great week. Take it one day at a time, and eat as healthily as you can. And if you slip, get back on the horse... A slip may prevent a fall.

KittyKatFan
05-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Good grief, I go nearly 20 weeks without a binge, then I binge. I didn't feel too bad about the slip because I was going through some real trauma in my life, and I got back on plan reasonably quickly.

So what happens? Less than three weeks later, I binge. A big-*ss, all day binge. OMG, you would not believe how much food I can pack in...:(

I think it is because I abandoned my plan of moderation, and started restricting calories - a big no no that causes me problems every time.

That was Thursday. Fortunately, I managed to get right back on plan the next day. Saturday was full of binge thoughts. The three foods I craved on Thursday (an apple fritter from my favorite donut shop, pancakes and pizza) I didn't even eat on Thursday so I was having binge thoughts about those foods all day Saturday. What a miserable day, but I got through it. Today started with binge thoughts but I got through them too.

It is so hard for me to binge mid-week because I always want to say "screw it, I'll start the plan on Monday" and then I binge all weekend. But I didn't do that so I'm proud of myself.

Hoping I can stay binge free for the rest of May and beyond...

themilesawaygirl
05-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi everyone. I've been hugely off track again lately and don't have time to catch up. Hope you're all doing well!

My eating has been consistently awful for a long time now. I've decided to start today on a big fresh start, and I'm feeling positive about staying in control.

I'm going to try and check in here more often to stay accountable. Here's to a good week.

missunshine
05-13-2013, 07:55 AM
i feel so bloated, sleepy and tired today. a bit depressed also, so many things to do but so little time, dark thoughts keep rolling in my head but i try to shhhs them away. :/ i can't wait for this week to be over.
so far i'm on plan and plan to stay that way.
i'm thinking of moving out in august, i like my current place but the roomates are sometimes very awkward. i found a cheaper and prettier place but a bit far from my uni. i'm going to check it out anyways.

so come on girls, summer is almost here, let's push it a bit more and stay positive and on track. ;)

alizarin
05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm on day 6 of not bingeing and my boss just brought in tons of cinnamon rolls for the office. I won't have any. I don't like them that much anyway and I'll reread my list of reasons why I don't want to binge anymore. I won't binge today. I can totally do that. :smug:

Charin
05-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Having another good day today. I loosened restrictions and I am eating lots of healthy stuff. when I added things up I am still well within maintenance calories. I frankly feel stuffed but want to make sure I eat every last meal so that my body/mind doesn't feel deprived and hopefully any binge thoughts go away.

alizarin
05-14-2013, 08:36 AM
I made it throught the office day yesterday without starting a binge with those cinnamon rolls - yay! Which means I am on day 7 of binge free! Just today and I did it for a whole week - yay :)

I had something of an eating frenzy yesterday night after yoga class though (first time ever, and this was power yoga, so I was sweating and hurting!), and I came back ravenous afterwards, although I had eaten before. Lucky for me, I was really craving a tomato-carrot-bell-pepper-chick pea-lettuce salad. I had to go to the store (danger zone if really hungry and already cranky) to get lettuce, but I did get back home with just what I wanted to get. So I totally overate on this salad, was feeling like shoveling it down and also was very stuffed afterwards, which is a feeling I've been trying to avoid. But hey, lesson learned: make sure you're really well-fed before going to yoga, and make sure there's food ready when you get back from class. And I didn't purge, which is ultimately the behavior I want to defeat anyway. So, I'm still counting myself as being on day 7 :)

seabiscuit
05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
It sounds like a lot of us are doing really well! Congratulations, everyone on the hard work!!

I am proud of myself because tonight I was about to overeat, then I took one slice of the food that I wanted and put it away, yay. The rest of my day was a bit unhealthier but that is something that I want to work on.

I went swimming for about an hour and that was a lot of fun, and hard work! :cool:

missunshine
05-15-2013, 05:46 AM
i've been on emotion roller coaster and binging for the past three days. i do great during the day but after dinner i lose it.
i'm hoping to break the cycle and i hope that pms is causeing me all this troubles. my stomach hurt bad yesterday so i'll be happy if i really get my period.
i just want to stay in bed all day and read but i have classes all day.

i'm glad yall are doing great seabiscuit, alizarin and charin :)

Charin
05-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Hugs missunshine! I am literally taking it day by day. I had another good day yesterday. I am in pain because I hurt my lower back on Monday at the gym (going to the chiro today) and for a minute I thought about eating chocolate to soothe me. Then I realize I wasn't even hungry, just tired and chocolate wouldn't really solve it for me. But during the day I ate plenty of healthy wholesome flavorful foods. I am down to123.4 so I definitely had a lot of bloat due to bingeing and carbs overload (just last week scale showed 132). But just day by day, no restrictions, just positive thoughts around food. No food off limits. But I've just been at it for a few days so can't give much advice yet:)

Charin
05-15-2013, 07:37 AM
I wanted to add/confess that my problem hasn't been only bingeing but on occasions purging. I would rather just binge and that is it, than binge AND then purge. But really I want to do away with both obviously. I have been treated for bulimia while in college years ago (I turn 38 in June) so I know I can overcome this again. I just want to be straightforward with you guys. My goal for today is to not binge or eat just because I am in pain.

PaintedPonies
05-15-2013, 08:38 PM
I made it to Day 17... a record!

But that was 7 days ago...
these past 7 days have not been so great :\
They've definitely had ups.
But so much food. so much food.

Today is day 1 again. I had more peanut butter than I should have, but I gardened and walked a lot today! And I am trying so hard to not binge out on more, and am doing well.
Day 1, once again.

I want to lose weight so badly :(

Charin
05-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Paintedponies you can do it!

Well today was good! Bought dark chocolate and was able to just eat 4 squares not the entire bar. And it wasn't a struggle either. One day at a time. Good night.

Charin
05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Another good day. Ate what I wanted in moderation. And you guys? Has anybody tried intuitive eating?

EskaDee
05-17-2013, 05:41 AM
How is everyone doing in this merry month of May? Charin, I hope that your confession makes you feel better and more motivated to stay on track. I know it's a tired line but the first step to a solution is admitting you have a problem so I think it is great that you can be honest with yourself and us too. We've got your back ;). Well done on your chocolate victory too!
PaintedPonies, congratulations on 17 binge-free days! I love reading about that, even though you feel like you have slipped up, as it really helps me to realise that it is possible and it can be done. I'm very proud of you, that knowledge will help me to stay motivated today! Remember that it is just a temporary slip-up and you can get back into it - even when we are permanently binge-free we will still have off days!

I'm worried about triggering off major binges next week as I am going away for the weekend and I won't be able to exercise and I will mostly be eating junk. I've managed to keep all binges small this week and even avoided it completely a couple of days, and I'm so worried I'll undo all my good work. I've managed to lose 4 lbs over the last 2 and a half weeks.... I'll be devastated if I give up now. Hopefully that will keep me motivated. We'll see! I hope everyone else has a good binge-free weekend.

tubolard
05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Complete and total failure. I just hate myself so bad right now. I have done nothing but binge since yesterday. I was doing so well, and then my body just went haywire so bad that my doctor changed my medicines, so much stress, severe pms/pmdd, hubby problems, kid problems etc. etc. But let me be honest here. It was my choice to binge, I knew every bite I put in my mouth was a mistake and I still poked it in there, sigh. Months of being good, down the drain. I could just scream. I have gained a little bit back weight wise and I am just so angry and disappointed in myself. God I hate me.
Back to the drawing board I guess, time to re-figure out a plan and start all over again. Sigh.

surfergirl2
05-17-2013, 12:47 PM
I am having one of those days where a bunch of little things are just annoying the crap out of me. In the past i would have turned to food...and food DOES make you feel better if you're frickin HUNGRY because you're on a diet. But i gave up dieting...so i no longer comfort eat...because the idea of eating food when i'm not hungry does not sound appealing. So food no longer helps. Just gotta deal with it!

missunshine
05-17-2013, 06:20 PM
i don't know what's wrong with me..all week long i've been binging after dinner even if i do great during the day. i'm anxious and nervous because of the exams and i got the oportunity to change apartment in august and i'm not sure if i should take it. i'm trying to relax with cookies and it doesn't really help and i keep on doing it. i gave myself an ultimatum to see how it goes tillt the end of the week and then on monday i start seriously losing weight, counting calories, not buying junk anymore and exercising more.
sometimes i feel like everyone around me is moving on and progressing just i am still stuck in one place.

seabiscuit
05-17-2013, 09:11 PM
I didn't do so well today. I overate! Oh well, at least I realize it and I want to change. Sometimes I get so impulsive and those cravings get so strong, ugh.

Well, there's no time like the present to make a positive change! ;)

Charin
05-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Tubolard try not to hate yourself. Forgive yourself and move on. Missunshine and seabiscuit, we all have our bad days. Surfegirl I love your attititude. When I first lost weight it was eye opening having to deal with my feelings without food!

Ok so yesterday and today I probably had a bit too much peanut butter. But it didn't feel like a binge. i ate more than a portion but not past fulness or out of control or hiding, I just wanted to eat more I guess. And the dark chocolate bar lasted three days and was shared with my son. Normally I would have scarf edit down immediately by myself. Baby steps.

BethC
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Starting over today, it's been a while...Day 1

EliseVi
05-20-2013, 07:09 PM
I've been disgusted with myself. I binged a few nights in a row. Today I allowed myself to have a few pieces of 70% chocolate because I've been craving (milk) chocolate and decided to eat it in public and in a reasonable quantity rather than "deprive" myself and risk bingeing tonight. Today can be day two binge-free. Really want to be mindful and kind to myself.

BethC
05-20-2013, 07:28 PM
The end of day 2... I'm feeling good!

Teacher2B
05-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Binging a lot as of late :( Wish I could have less stress in my life.

EliseVi
05-20-2013, 11:48 PM
I made it. Two days without a binge. I had a totally reasonable dinner and am going to bed now. Small, measured victories. Tomorrow can be day three. :-)

missunshine
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM
i'm on a binging downward spiral...if i keep it up this way i'm going to get to my old weight pretty soon.
i buy and eat a huge bag of cookies instead of studying. i feel like i'm cursed, everytime i open a book i get a minor panic attack that i will never be able to learn all this so why even bother...ughhh i hate myself for that. i feel bloated, tired. i wish that giving in to my cravings would at least make me a happy person but it doesn't, it makes me even more miserable :(

i feel all of you who are struggling like me right now and those of you who are not, keep up the good work ;)

elise -i hope you make it day 3 tommorow :)

Teacher2B
05-21-2013, 11:58 PM
I binged on cheese today. Fatty, salty cheese :(

Pink Hurricane
05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
So I ended up having the Mirena taken out since I have had it for 5 years. My doctor put me on the same type of hormone but in the form of a pill, so once I get to a healthier weight my husband and I have more control of when we want to starting having children.

I have not binged while being away, but I have had a MUCH harder time with staying active. Started Insanity this week with my husband, and changing birth control has made me want to binge like a mad woman, but I have been eating healthier snacks such as fruits and veggies. Hoping to keep my urges for binging under control!

missunshine
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
good job pink hurricane...you can do it!
teacher2be- don't beat yourself up too much. at least you got some proteins and not sugary stuff like me :/

i figured out today why i was on a binging spree...it was my pms and i finally got my period today and i'm so happy. i've been totally different today, no cravings, no binging, no dark thoughts lol i'm so happy now that i know what's going on with me.

tubolard
05-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Binged again last night, but the scale showed a loss of 2 pounds, after a gain of 13 it wasn't as thrilling as it might have been. But I am going to change up the way I am eating, Stop buying the little "treats" that I started thinking I could have since "I was doing so good and deserved them" and try to stop eating, no, shoveling food in to try to fill the emotional void inside me. So, yeah, today is day 1 again. So far so good.

PaintedPonies
05-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Day 5 is just starting up.
Successes so far: 13 minute jog (not long, but I haven't gone running in a couple weeks), small bowl of cereal with banana, and no desire to binge!

This week has been going so well. I weighed in at 79.8 kg early this week, and now am at 78.4 :) (mostly water weight though)

Before this 5 day streak, I was doing horribly. Between finals, my parents visiting, moving into the apartment, and breaking my computer, I was so overwhelmed, stressed, and upset...
I ate a lot... Too much.
But hopefully that's in the past. I have no ridiculous binging urges, and when I get minor ones, I'm able to satisfy myself with something reasonable- a slice of currant bread with some peanut butter, some chocolate, a bowl of frozen berries, etc.
And my job is gardening- I'm so active much of the day.
I'm in good spirits.

My health food store has also been selling the most beautiful, plump, ripe Turkish figs lately. $4 a pop. I've bought 3 in the past 2 days. These fruits are going to be an expensive dietary habit :\

EskaDee
05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
tubolard that sounds like a good plan. That has been one of my biggest issues, not just caving into the binges because 'I've been good the whole rest of the day'!
PaintedPonies it sounds like you are doing really well! I'd indulge your fig cravings, if you can afford to, think how much money you are probably saving on buying expensive junk! (That's how I justify things like that anyway!)

I managed to be fairly good over my weekend away. We bought two massive bags of crisps to share between us with dips and I managed to resist the urge to eat all of both packets by myself and I just ate a reasonable amount - less than my skinny friends ate. There were even some left in the packets at the end of the weekend! I'm calling this a successful non-binge! I did drink waaaay too much wine though. As I rarely do this (less than once per year) I am not beating myself up too much although I think it caused me to retain water and put a few pounds on. As of this morning I am at the same weight as before so hopefully no long-term damage there.
I am struggling today, though, for some reason. I had to resist the urge to go and buy crisps before lunch and I caved and had a kitkat just now as I couldn't stop myself any longer. There was no need for that, and I wasn't hungry and it didn't help but now I keep thinking that I just fancy some chips... or another chocolate bar... This is where my slippery slope starts and I don't want to get sucked back in!

Sorry for the novel, but writing this out helps me to think more rationally about it (and takes up so much time, I don't have time to go to the shop to buy crap). I think that not eating so well and not exercising last weekend is causing these cravings. How do I make this go away??!!!

inglesita64
05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi everybody! Been away for some days, and back here to try to eat well. I have not binged, but I have not eating as many vegetables and fruits as I should. Lost a little weight, just a pound over this week, which is great because it takes back to the weight I had this time last year.
I would like now to eat more healthily, and to stop feeding on crackers!
Just a week to go and May is over. Let is make of this a great finale!

PaintedPonies
05-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Eskadee- So true! Living in an apartment and having to buy all my food right at the expensive Whole Foods-sized health food store that is right around the corner makes me realize how much money I have wasted from binging!
I hope I can keep going with this. Today will be Day 7. I'm going to have breakfast soon, and then maybe a walk?
Either way, today is already a good day from my weigh in- 77.1 kg! Which means just under 170lbs. I have made it into the 160s! Albeit, 169.9, but still :p

Charin
05-25-2013, 10:25 AM
20 days binge free! Weight still at 123 and eating just about everything in moderation. :)

laceyj
05-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone. It has been a while since I've stopped by. It's strange because I went binge free in January until a few weeks ago. It seems like once my body got a taste of that binge it's all it has wanted because last week I binged 6 out of 7 days and last night I did as well after only 2 days binge free. I'm finding it harder to pick myself up and trust myself and feel a bit fragile. I guess I've been a bit lonely and not being able to workout (hurt my knee when a car nicked me at the crosswalk Monday!) has exacerbated the whole thing. So I've made an appointment with a therapist. This has not worked for me in the past but I did have male therapists and asked for a woman this time. Anyone ever find help this way?

BethC
05-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Day 7... It's been a hard few days, but I keep reminding myself that binging is not an option.

SkinnyGina
05-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Hello- will there be a challenge starting in June? I am having really bad episodes of binge eating and could use some support and tips to get back some control. I am having trouble making it through one week. Thanks!

Pink Hurricane
05-25-2013, 07:54 PM
I have been doing really good with not binging. Even when there is tempting food around, I only have a bit. This is very new for me, I feel like I am finally getting a grip on myself and understanding what my triggers are. Even tonight I had a very small piece of a super delicious dessert I make for my husband and I and I didn't go overboard. I've been good since May 6th, and I think I can keep it up!

laceyj
05-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone, I hope all those in the States like me are having a great holiday weekend. I am on Day 2 of no binging and am feeling sane again. I got my first workout in after a week, an 4 miles on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the stairclimber, and I can't believe how much better I feel. I succumbed to the morbid curiosity to see how much I gained. About 4 or 5 pounds, but I'm hopeful some of it's water weight from a full on week of binge eating. I swear, it's never been that bad before! My once a month binge would devastate me but this was really an eye opener and took me to a really dark place. I'm sure you all can relate.

Charin, I've read a few of your posts, great job on all your hard work! It seems like you are on the right track. I like reading posts from other shorties because it can be more of a challenge to keep the weight off.

Pink Hurricane, congrats on the streak! Good luck and I am glad you treated yourself!

missunshine
05-27-2013, 06:42 AM
skinnygina there's a thread for every month so don't worry :hug:

i decided to stay on track today, no more binging for the rest of the may. i gained about 4-5 pounds and it's not just water weight. i'm so close to my starting weight from three years ago. i can't let myself gain all back and then return home in the summer and hear all the critics from my family. i know i can do this. why is it so hard for me to lose 20 pounds and easier to lose 50??? :mad:

Pink Hurricane
05-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Charin~ Way to go girl!! Keep it up, you are creating a new habit for sure!
Lacey~ Good for you for getting back on track! I always feel soooo much better after a workout. Granted before and during I am cursing the workout itself, but I never regret doing it after, and I love how my mood and overall mental state lifts after!

Day 21 and I am feeling really great! Last night my husband and I ended up having some Bryer's Birthday Cake ice cream and it was super yummy but I didn't go overboard!

I think it helped that we had just did our Plyometric Insanity workout. I think keeping in mind that I didn't want to undo all my hard work kept me in moderation!

Charin
05-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks laceyj and pink hurricane, one day at a time!!! I am breaking both the bingeing AND purging habit which go almost hand in hand for me.

I am re-reading the book "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst which helped me a lot at the beginning of my weight loss journey to realize how much I was trying to fill a void with food when I could be filling myself up with God and His Word. I think along the way I lost sight of that so I am refreshing my memory :).

inglesita64
05-28-2013, 10:59 PM
I am not bingeing but I am not eating healthy either, and my running is really poor these days. I will try to pick myself up, but I really find it hard to eat my veggies and prefer to eat crackers and fruit, cheese and candy... That is all comfort food for me. I'll have to take a deep breath and see if tomorrow I can do it better!

missunshine
05-29-2013, 07:38 AM
inglesita64 i have the same problem. carbs over veggies anytime.

so i'm on day 3 but i already crave cupcakes sooo much and i just want to give in. i already lost some water weight and made a new plan as to where i want to be 2 months from now but with all the exams and studying i'm affraid i'll just gain more. :/

good luck to all of you. 3 more days to go till the end of the month.

inglesita64
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Come on, missunshine! One day at a time. Think of where you want to be today, and day by day you will get where you want to be.
Just a couple of days and we beat May! Standing a fight is winning already.

SkinnyGina
06-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks Miss Sunshine... and I have the same problem to. I think this is where mindfulness comes into play. I have trouble maintaining even longer then 2-3 days recently but I know we can do this:) I just finished school and can understand how stressful it all is! But the cupcakes will just make you feel more stressed in the long run.