Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 400/388/199

Height: 5'4''

Default Excercise @ 379lbs...

So I was wondering what tips y'all could give me on exercise. I recently started a lovely relationship with the treadmill, its sad to say that 2.9mph at 0 incline for 30 minutes has me feeling like I actually worked out...I want to do the elliptical but last time I tried was kind of embarrassing as I couldnt keep it going long enough to program the work out in... Maybe someday I will try again.
theaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #2  

As someone who just started using a treadmill 3 weeks ago, I have to say "what's wrong with that?" haha

I started with 2.2 as my fastest speed and could only walk about a mile. Now 3 is my fastest speed and I’m walking 2 miles. I also raise and lower the incline throughout my workout. It’s frustrating at first to not go as fast and as far as you want to go, but you have to remember that you’re working out! What you’re doing now is so good for your body. It’s only been 3 weeks and I already feel so much better just moving every day.

I have found that beginning an exercise routine makes me want to do more exercise, and I have added other things to my routine – zumba, strength training, tai chi, yoga, stretching. You can basically type any kind of exercise into youtube and find a video of someone you can follow along with.

My goal is to be able to start the couch 2 5k program. For now though I am fine at speed 3. To me it is more important to gradually increase intensity than to add it all at once and injure myself.

Good luck! And congratulations on exercising! Whoo hoo!
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

theaimes- Kudos on your efforts to be active. I just started working out in January when I bought a treadmill. I was too self conscious at the gym to push myself like I will at home. I have asthma and when I started, I went 2.5 mph for maybe 20-30 minutes. Now I'm starting to bump up the speed and incline more, and have even been jogging (slowly) intermittently. It does seem to very gradually be getting easier for me and is kind of something I enjoy, it's "me time". I hope you find this to be the case too.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

When you are starting, ignore all the stuff about having to get in a certain amount of time and just know that something is better than nothing. Well, up to the point where too much hurts and you don't want to do anything the next day.

I found the elliptical way better on my knees than the treadmill, but when I started I could only do five minutes and I thought I was going to die. But I did that and then the next day I did six. Repeat. I got up to doing an hour. It took awhile, but I never would have gotten there if I hadn't started with that five I could do.

Don't worry what anyone else thinks. Sometimes I hop on an elliptical for five minutes to warm up before lifting weights and I have seen other people do that too. Not caring what other people think is also a muscle that I work out in the gym.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #5  

When I first started, I thought 10 minutes at 2.5mph was going to kill me on my treadmill. To walk up the street past 3 houses and back was torture. But I did it. Slowly but surely I could add on a few minutes or an extra house to get to.

Now I can do 60-90 minutes on my treadmill or walk around the block a few times. I'm dead serious when I say if I can do it, anyone can. I'm so very blessed that my body became strong again and I'm reaping the rewards every single day.

Take it slow and easy. Any activity is good for you, even if it's just for a few minutes. You will get stronger and build up your endurance.

You can do it! And we are here for you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Have you tried water aerobics?
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #7  
the muse of memory

theaimes - I think that that is fine. Honestly, weight loss is more about what you eat than the exercise you do. Exercise is for fitness. When I started using my treadmill 2.5 mph was my FAST TIME. We are the same height and I was about 330 lbs at the time. Since then I have increased my speed and now my speed varies between 3.4 and 3.6 mph. I don't really have a time limit on how long I can go except for boredom, hahah, and the fact that I do it in the morning and have to get to work. The latter speed is pretty fast for someone with short legs.

Heck, when I started my default walking speed around the neighborhood with my parents was slower than they are. Now, I have a very hard time being considerate and slowing down to match their speed.

The best kind of exercise is something you enjoy and something you can keep up with. You will get stronger / faster / better as you continue forward.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #8  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Sounds like you're starting at a good place. As a former exercise hater, the only advice I have is to consider trying new things as time goes on. Even gentle exercise like tai chi is movement and can help you strengthen and work muscles in different ways. For me, trying out tai chi, yoga, various kinds of dance, and kickboxing, have made exercise fun. I walk too, but mixing things up keeps me motivated. Have fun!
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

You are doing great! I mean it! You're starting right, slow and steady is perfect!

I started exercising at 363 lbs, and I'm much taller than you. And to start with, walking on the treadmill really felt like enough! At your height and weight, you need to concentrate on safe movement. Have good shoes on, wear good socks, drink plenty of water about an hour before you start your time on the treadmill. When something starts feeling achy, in your shins, your knees, your lower back, it's about form or gait. Don't push too quickly to increase your speed, because that changes your gait and form. You need to build your muscle before you get there.

And NO SELF-JUDGEMENT! For years I was plagued with that, all about how I wasn't up to the same level as other people, not as fast, not as strong. And when I pushed myself too beyond my ability, I'd injure myself and then there would be downtime for recuperation, and more judgement, and then I'd give up for weeks at a time. It is much better to feel good about what you're achieving now and not be in pain because you pushed yourself too hard.

To progress, when you feel ready, trying new things, gently, and finding what you really love is the best advice from the ladies. For me, after the treadmill, I found that I loved weight training. And after that, I fell in LOVE with Pilates. But I have an exceptional trainer, so encouraging and wise, taking into account my physical limitations. She's not training me for the Olympics. She's training me to build strenghth, stamina, a range of movement that will serve me well.

I'm only just now attempting a cardio class, three times a week. I do not push myself to get up on a step like everyone else. I march in place, my squats are shallower, I don't breathe as hard as others because if I pushed myself to keep up with everyone, I'd get sick and injured. We do the aerobic portion for 30 minutes. Then we do TRX and weight training for 30 minutes. This is where I surpass everyone else. I am a big strong woman! But not a single one of the smaller people tries to keep up or compete with me. It's why I love where I workout. The community is supportive and encouraging, and we all cheer each other on. And that's what I need the most to stay on track.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #10  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

i started at 396 and i didnt start working out until i hit 375. i wanted to get my eating right and lose a few lbs. at 375 i did the treadmill at 1.5-2.0 for about 30mins. now that im 355lbs i worked up to 2.5-3.0 for hr. i did try the elliptical to see if i could do it, but i was only able to do 2 mins. i think once i hit 300 ill try again. just work ur way up. dont worry what everyone else is doing on there machines. set goal on the machine and push urself . good luck.
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote