Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 09:39 AM   #1  
P.I.N.K

Unhappy

I was doing WW at home for quite awhile and lost about 20 lbs. Then some of the weight started to creep back on. I decided to start going to meetings to see if that would help ~ NOT! I have been going for 7 weeks and have only lost 5 lbs.

I just can't seem to get in control!

I have over 100 lbs to lose. I started this whole process last August and it seems like I have gotten nowhere!

My oldest step daughter is getting married in June and I really wanted to take off some weight ~ but it just doesn't seem like I will.

I think stress has a lot to do with my being "OUT OF CONTROL" and I just can't seem to manage it. I just found out they think my Dad has cancer, my Son and his Wife are having terrible problems, there is a possibility my job will be ending, I somehow got behind on my bills and just can't seem to get caught up ~~ and much much more!

Sorry to be dumping all of this here ~ but I just need some help!
Old 03-09-2001, 10:33 AM   #2  
Senior Tortoise

Mary, those of us who eat for emotional reasons really have a tough time when life hits us with stresses. I'm like you, and I know it's hard!

When I'm really stressed and having trouble eating right, I take baby steps. I pick one behavior and focus on changing that behavior. For example, don't try to control your eating -- just write everything down. No matter what you eat, write it down. That could be your first baby step. Once you're ready to take another step, then add the water or add five veggies/fruits. When you're ready, take a 20 minute walk every day. Gradually work your way up to adding enough healthy habits that you're completely on program.

I find when I'm overwhelmed, I often have to focus on just one behavior for a while. For me, writing it down is the key behavior that keeps me from spinning out of control long term. Even when I go over points, I make myself write it down.

I think when you focus on one behavior at a time, you build trust in yourself again. You begin to think "I can do this." It's slow, and you have to talk nice to yourself. Pat yourself on the back. NEVER BEAT YOURSELF UP. Just keep moving on.

Finally, I find that exercise is a good stress reliever. If you're not currently exercising, start slow -- just take walks. If your weather is as lousy as ours, go to the mall and walk there. A lot of malls open early or stay open late for walkers. Exercising helps me put things back into perspective. I enjoy working out with aerobic tapes that cheer me up. Normally I loathe Richard Simmons, but he's fun in his aerobic videos. I was in an awful mood this past Monday morning, and I turned on the video and said "OK, Richard, cheer me up here." And he did!

Mary, you can do this. Even though overeating may feel comforting at the moment you're doing it, the results will only stress you out further ultimately. Be good to yourself. Start with baby steps!

--Lauren
274/215/down
Old 03-09-2001, 11:14 AM   #3  
Stressed but Sane

Mary, another thing to keep in mind is that stress hormones can truly work against weight loss. Be kind to yourself, and realize that when you're flooded with stress, no matter HOW well you eat, you may have times that you do not lose. In super-stressful times, maintenance is a real victory---your body would love to accumulate more fat as protection against the hard times---and it can do so with surprisingly little fuel when the right hormones are flooding it.

Exercise, as Lauren mentioned, is an excellent antidote.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:25 AM   #4  
P.I.N.K

You are so right ~ I do not excercise ~ AT ALL!

I am going to try to get out on some walks.

It is finally getting a little warmer here so I can get out.

I made a date with my 2 year old grandson this afternoon. I decided to dress him up warm and through him in the stroller and go for a walk. It will be relaxing to spend some time with him.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sometimes a person knows everything you should do ~ but it make a difference to hear it from someone.

Take Care!
Old 03-09-2001, 12:56 PM   #5  
LM

And Mary, 5 # in 7 weeks is not bad either. It is an accomplishment. You may not be at goal by your daughter's wedding but you will have lost something if you continue the trend.

I'm putting in my 2cents for exercise too. It seems to change the body's chemistry and really helps with controlling intake, besides burning calories and all that other good stuff.

Good luck, Mary and keep on keepin on!
Old 03-09-2001, 02:54 PM   #6  

5# in 7 weeks figures out to about 38# in a year. How many of us wouldn't be happy to be 38# lighter than they were at this time last year? That would put a lot of us at goal.
Old 03-10-2001, 12:15 AM   #7  

Mary,

Everyone as given you great advice. Take baby steps and please don't beat yourself up it won't do you any good. Try to be good to yourself with all your stresses find sometime just for you. I know you can do it!

Gentle Angel
Old 03-10-2001, 08:25 AM   #8  
P.I.N.K

Thanks ~ I appreciate the responses. I am feeling much better. I took my grandson for a long walk yesterday ~ it really helped me clear my mind and enjoy some time with him.

I also went grocery shopping! Bought a ton of wonderful fruits and veggies ~ it makes such a difference to buy some fresh stuff and I also bought a big variety!

Thanks for letting me dump and making me feel better! I really just needed someone to tell me it will work and I can do this!

I know I can ~ if I can just stay focused!

Gentle Angel ~ I is wonderful to see your post. Thanks!
Closed Thread