Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 80/75/55

Height: 162 cm (5 feet 3 and 3/4!)

Default St John's Wort answer to my problems!

I just wanted to share something that has worked for me in case it can help someone else. As someone who battles depression and is trying to lose weight I struggled with the fact that ordinary anti depressants made it so much more difficult to lose weight - not to mention side effects. I have been on St John's Wort for several months now and although initially skeptical it helped me significantly after only a couple of weeks of taking it. While it doesn't work for when I'm severely depressed, it certainly sustains me enough to function well for the large majority of the time and has also taken care of the underlying anxiety that goes with my depression. It has made a HUGE difference to my depression and my life and my ability to lose weight. I also discovered that for me, it is a natural appetite suppressant which has made a big difference for weight loss too. I live in the UK and I know that it's not available in some countries but certainly it's worth a try if, like me, regular anti-depressants don't suit. Initially I had the same side effects as anti depressants but they only lasted a couple of weeks, were less severe and then were gone. As I said, I was a skeptic so it's not a placebo effect. Everyone is different but I wanted to share something that was helping me. Oh and by the way I have actually lost a fair bit of weight but it's not on my ticker as I'm new to this site and just taking it from my current weight!

Last edited by Solace; 04-30-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #2  
centered at the origin

S/C/G: 130/120/110

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for sharing. I've heard of St. John Wort's and was skeptical too. I range anywhere from mild to severe depression so perhaps the supplement might be of help to me as well. You said initially you had the same side effects as anti-depressants? Which might those be?

Glad it has worked out so well for you both mentally and physically! Keep it up.
zero vector is offline   Reply With Quote