Weight Loss Support - Frustrated beyond believe

View Full Version : Frustrated beyond believe

GMNEVO
04-29-2013, 09:14 PM
First post here and in desperate need of support, I started my weight loss journey 4 weeks ago today at 277 pounds, I have worked my heart off at the gym over the last 4 weeks spending 5 days a week in the gym. I worked on cardio, did zumba classes even aqua fitness and laps on the pool. Today I went for my weight in and got the most frustrating news ever. My current weight is 272.5 my metabolism went from 2054kcal to 2035kcal and what got me completely discouraged is my fat% went from 50.3% to 57% I ended up walking out of the gym and crying my heart out on my way home. Is it normal how can my fat % be larger after working out so much all month I just don't understand :'( Has this happened to any of you am I the only one that works out and gets fatter?!:?:

meltitaway
04-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Hello -

First of all, health isn't all about the numbers. You are moving and in time, that moving will give you results. How are you doing with your eating plan? Maybe keep a record for awhile just to be sure and measure, measure, measure!!

Just remember, your body is adjusting. Don't give up and keep at it. Results will happen! I am living proof. I started right about where you did and I am close to 70# down!!

I am here...contact me anytime! Best wishes and congratulations on your dedication!

stella1609
04-29-2013, 09:30 PM
What are you EATING? It's impossible to out-exercise bad eating habits. Also I seriously doubt that those body fat percentage measurements are accurate--it's a very hard thing to measure and if you just stood on a scale or did calipers you can feel pretty confident they are wrong (same thing with the BMR measurement).

Thinforme
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't have any knowledge about this but:hug: I'm sure that was very frustrating.

Chronostasis
04-29-2013, 09:35 PM
That's awesome that you're getting so much exercise in! Just make sure you don't overstrain your muscles. :)

First of all, I doubt you've actually gained fat! Where are you getting these readings from? Is it from a scale at home? (Even if it's not a scale at home, chances are it's still not accurate.) I'll let you in on a secret: the only thing that it's really measuring is the electrical conductivity from one foot to the other. Because of that, there are SO many things that can mess it up, which makes it WAY inaccurate for actually calculating body fat %. Honestly, take those measurements with a grain of salt. Don't let it be your guide as to how well you are doing!
Also, hydration plays a big role here as well; it can make a big difference in readings.

However, I don't see that you've mentioned your food intake. Eating the right kinds of food and the right amounts of food is 80% of the battle in losing weight, so don't neglect it.

That all said, don't give up! This will feel like a major disappointment to you but you'll get through it! :hug:

elvislover324
04-29-2013, 09:48 PM
:hug: Our bodies are such mysteries, I understand your frustration!!

Keep up the good work, exercising and then having a healthy diet will surely pay off huge benefits. Also make sure you are drinking enough water to replenish and hydrate your body.

You are on the right track and we are here for you. Good luck!!

JohnP
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
First post here and in desperate need of support, I started my weight loss journey 4 weeks ago today at 277 pounds, I have worked my heart off at the gym over the last 4 weeks spending 5 days a week in the gym. I worked on cardio, did zumba classes even aqua fitness and laps on the pool. Today I went for my weight in and got the most frustrating news ever. My current weight is 272.5 my metabolism went from 2054kcal to 2035kcal and what got me completely discouraged is my fat% went from 50.3% to 57% I ended up walking out of the gym and crying my heart out on my way home. Is it normal how can my fat % be larger after working out so much all month I just don't understand :'( Has this happened to any of you am I the only one that works out and gets fatter?!:?:

This post is the entire reason I post here.

I hope you're not paying someone at the gym to provide information to you because if this is the case they should be fired.

You need good solid information. I'm extremely busy at the moment but I assure you that:

A) Your metabolism has not gone down. This is impossible to measure outside of a lab setting with expensive equipement that no gym has.

B) Your body fat percentage has not gone up. Also, impossible to measure at the gym. You have not gotten fatter.

C) Your efforts have not been in vain. Trust me, they have not.

Bottom line is that you're at the right web site and people can help you here, for free. You just need to invest your time.

The dedication you've shown at the gym will pay off in spades when you invest that dedication into educating yourself on how this stuff actually works.

Elladorine
04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Listen to John, he knows his stuff. :carrot:

RavenWolf
04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
I agree with John as well. Keep up with the exercise to improve your health! You will see the fruits of your labor, I promise!!

It is an emotional, frustrating journey. It really is. This is a fantastic place to find support to encourage you through hard times, and to rejoice with you when you share your successes!

Would you be willing to share what a typical day of meals look like?
What are you drinking? It is super easy to drink your calories!
Do you weight/measure your food? Food scale, measuring cups and spoons?

It is so important that you measure your servings. You may be way over eating and not know it! When I actually started weighing and measuring my food, I started to lose weight.

My best advice is NOT to give up. Share your struggles and your successes here and you will be so much more likely to succeed. Start using a calorie/meal tracking app and measure your servings. Switch to water. I had to kick an over 2 decade Mountain Dew "addiction." It made a huge difference in how I feel, how I lose weight, and my energy.

I really hope you continue to post here. I really hope you come and answer some of these questions so we can better help you. And my biggest hope is that you do not give up!!

GMNEVO
04-29-2013, 10:37 PM
OMG I really didn't expect so much feedback so quickly, first of all I want to say thanks guys for taking the time it really means A LOT to me. I posted right after getting home; since then my frustration level has gone down a little and I put the first 4 pebbles into my weight loss jar which helped. Reading through the post I realized how clueless I am on this process, which makes me thankful for this day, as if it wasn't for the frustration I had, I probably would have never posted. I will put more emphasis on my diet but over the last month I have drank nothing but water and fat free milk with my cereal, not going into counting each calorie but my eating habits have changed big time. I use to eat out (chinnese/pizza) about 3 times a week now I eat home haven't had a piece of fried anything in a month! I don't have a personal trainer or anything at the gym but they have a scale that prints a receipt with your info which includes weight/BMI/fat %... They gave me one receipt the first day I was there (monday 4 weeks ago) and got the new one with the disappointing results today. I will work on my health and try to not focus so much on the numbers at least I can go up the stairs at work without a mini heart attack so there is some progress.

Ps- I apologize in advance for my writing skills as separating sentences and using correct punctuation is not one of my fortes :o

GMNEVO
04-29-2013, 10:40 PM
O and for the request a typical food day: Today as example:

Breakfast:
Special K Honey oats cereal with fat free milk about 2 cups of cereal
Snack: 2 cups of popcorn (home made little salt no butter)
Lunch: Healthy choice Rosemary Chicken
Dinner: 2 Eggs and 2 Honey Oat toasts

On my way to drinking a gallon of water :D

shcirerf
04-29-2013, 11:06 PM
:hug:

Hang in there! It's a learning process and lifestyle change.

Patience is your friend!

punkrocksong
04-29-2013, 11:21 PM
GMNEVO, I totally get your frustration. I am very new to all of this as well, and I've been researching my butt off on everything I can. I'm still a little too self-conscience to join a gym, I have this irrational fear I'm going to break the equipment, so I haven't had the awful experience you've had. I'm taking the numbers with a grain of salt and I'm not just accepting things at face value. Yes, my weight isn't very good, and yes according to my BMI I'm still morbidly obese, but the most important thing for me is how I feel. And I feel much better now than I did 20+ lbs ago - and that is what is the most important.

Any loss is a good loss, and you are off to a great start. It's best that you form eating habits that you will be able to stick to and it's wonderful you've been exercising - but don't over-do-it either. I've been counting calories and exercising. I measure my food - I even picked up a kitchen scale which proved how woefully inaccurate my guestimating was. And yes, it's tedious, but it takes a lot of the worry out of what I'm putting in my mouth. Honestly, I think the only reason I've lost so much weight so fast is because I was doing way more than overeating, I was binging - hardcore, and I didn't even realize I was doing it.

Everyone is different in how they lose weight, the most important thing is to try to keep a positive attitude...and tell that stupid gym scale to go kick some rocks!

Changergirl
04-29-2013, 11:52 PM
GMNEVO- I completely understand that you're frustrated. Like everybody else has stated, those body fat % scales are superbly inaccurate so I'm going to assume both of those measurements are wrong.

Secondly, if you just started exercising your body takes some time to adjust to this new 'healthy' lifestyle. Your body may be holding onto some additional weight until it completely adjusts and realizes that this is going to a regular occurrence. It took my body about 4 weeks once I started exercising before I started losing weight consistently again.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you're eating enough food. Your body may actually be hanging onto some of that fat because you aren't supplying it enough nutrients and therefore doesn't want to let go of the fat you have. It's weird but when you are losing weight you do need to eat a minimum amount of food. At your size and because you're exercising, I'd say you probably need at least 1800 calories. What you listed isn't anywhere close to that.

SuperHeroTeacher
04-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Hang in there! I just wanted to chime in on the nutrition piece. You can practically starve yourself with low calories, but if they're the wrong calories your body will resist releasing the weight. I noticed that your sample meal plan included no veggies... You'd be amazed at how much faster the weight comes off if you eat a well balanced diet. Which admittedly is easier said than done. I don't have a problem with veggies, but getting enough protein is something I've always struggled with.

Lolo70
04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Take a deep breath. I started weight loss with exercise. I did the 30-day shred for nearly 3 months before I lost the first pound. Not only did I not loose, I gained 10 lbs first. I guess this was a combination of water retention and muscle gain. So, stop fixating on your scale and start taking pictures and measurements. If you do not, you'll regret it later. Also forget the scale at your gym. Do a combination of strength training with weights and cardio for 30-60 min/day for 5-6 days a week. If you keep your calories in check and you do this for 6 months, you will see amazing results. And don't forget that diet translates on the scale, exercise translates into inches lost.

CanadianCutie
04-30-2013, 12:24 AM
O and for the request a typical food day: Today as example:

Breakfast:
Special K Honey oats cereal with fat free milk about 2 cups of cereal
Snack: 2 cups of popcorn (home made little salt no butter)
Lunch: Healthy choice Rosemary Chicken
Dinner: 2 Eggs and 2 Honey Oat toasts

On my way to drinking a gallon of water :D

Where's the fruit and veggies?

rubidoux
04-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Where's the fruit and veggies?

I have lost wonderfully with no fruits or veg at all. Just in the last month or so, I've added a whole avocado/day to my diet and all the crappy symptoms I've had my whole life from eating fruits/veggies have come back. :( Not everyone likes them and not everyone does well eating them.

I noticed that she's relying heavily on grains and :o, my alarms go off! But those are just my alarms. She doesn't have to listen to them. :dizzy: I'm sure you'll figure out what it is you need, OP. It's all trial and error.

Ronja
04-30-2013, 08:59 AM
First of all darling, that scales that measure body fat % at your gym is nothing but a random numbers generator. Don't pay attention to it. You've lost weight!!! That's pretty amazing. Actually, I'm amazed you lost any weight if you've been excercising that hard. When I first started excercising, I couldn't lose a pound, even though I was eating healthy and limiting my calories. The reason is, my muscles were sore, and retaining water. Once I got used to excercising, all the water went down and my scales moved a great deal down.

So, you've lost weight and you're on your way to lose more, if you educate yourself, and dedicate your time and efforts to find the right information.

As for your food diary: is there a reason why you don't eat vegetable nor fruits? I know some people may have medical issues with them, but unless you're one of them, I would add lots of vegetable, little fruit. I would cut grains in half and add protein instead. Look up the healthy ration of carbohydrates/proteins/fats you should eat every day, and compare it to how you have been eating. I'm sure if you adjust a bit, you'll get great results.

I really admire you for taking up excercising, it shows you're a strong person and with a little guidance, you're bound to win this battle!!!

free
04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
First of all, 4 pounds is great! And look at all the healthy choices you're making - exercising, eating healthier for 4 weeks! That's a lot further than most people get! Way to go! You're on the right track and your body will change over time.

I want to echo what everyone else has been saying. I started out eating only 1200 calories a day. Mostly carbs. Very little protein or vegetables. I would be starving and tired and was having trouble losing weight because I believe my metabolism was crashing since the carbs would be burned off fairly quickly - and the calorie intake was too low. Now I eat at least one protein (usually egg whites on a whole grain muffin with lowfat cheese) and some fruit every morning. I will be eating leftovers which includes a protein and veggies for lunch and usually protein and veggies for dinner. Plus a couple snacks here and there. I'm not a HUGE fan of veggies, but they really do fill you up and protein keeps you going and keeps your metabolism going. I'm a carb addict so I allow myself carbs every day, so you don't have to cut them out all together. But anyway, I really didn't start losing until I increased my calorie intake a little and got more protein and veggies. It really is an art and everyone is different, so keep going, change up your diet a little and see what works for you. We're all here to help you find your way. Stay strong. You are doing great! And this board is full of wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful people. You will find lots of support here. :) hugs

SuperCecilia
04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I can only speak from my experience which is that I worked out regularly (aerobics classes at a gym I was paying a good amount for) and tried to keep calories and fat low. I lost very slowly, was often hungry, and it was really really hard. In the month of April, I've lost almost 10 pounds, still working out, but reworking my diet to eat like a diabetic - eat smaller amounts, more often, reduce carbs (I've almost entirely eliminated sugar, grains, potatoes, rice, bread, etc) and focus on protein and healthy fat (regular grocery store purchases for me are greek yogurt, flaxseed, avocado, beans, lentils, nuts, pumpkin seeds, eggs) and of course lots of veggies. If I were eating like you do, I would be hungry and I wouldn't lose. Everyone has to find what works for them - I can only say that lower carb, higher protein, and eating smaller amounts more often helps me control appetite and cravings. Hang in there and keep up the good work. Your exercise has not been in vain, as others have said.

100Mother
04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Oh my gosh HUGS! I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been! Definitely agree with what everyone has stated, and will put in my own two cents.

1. Have you been having fun or what? Girl, it awesome how you have tried so many different things! No matter what the scale says, remember that! You are freaking awesome!

2. I agree that I think you aren't eating enough, and definitely not enough veggies. I'd recommend counting your calories and making sure you are falling within an healthy range (probably around 1500-1800 calories is my guesstimate). Also, you need more veggies in my opinion. If you don't like counting calories, just do it for a few days to gauge how you are doing, then it will be easier for you to know how much you are taking in.

3. SO many things can effect weight measurement. Like (this is gross FYI) did you go to the bathroom yet that day? I mean, did you REALLY go!? lol. If not, it may have something to do with it. Also, as a woman, our menstrual cycle can play a part.

4. I agree 100% that you shouldn't even look at that body fat measurement! There are so many different variables, there is not way it is correct. A better option would be to start tracking your measurements instead once per month.

CONGRATS! You have done an AMAZING job! Please don't give up, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

GMNEVO
04-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Today I started roughly tracking my calories using the phone app "My fitness Pal" so far I'm under the daily goal and really have no need to eat anything else for the night, not sure if a success or a failure but its done!

As far as the questions you have asked: there is really no reason why I do not incorporate more fruits/veggies on my diet other than I really have serious hatred relationship with them, I rather not eat than serve myself a plate of grass. I know I need to work on that but so far trying to make the gym part of my life routine and then I tackle the grass and other grass like objects situation. I do like corn which Ive heard is like the worst veggie(probably the reason it tastes good) so I try to stay away from it. Anyways i guess I will post on regular threads from now on since I no longer feel hopeless :) thanks you guys!!

SeeMyFeet
04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Wow, GMNEVO, you are getting a lot of posts! I'm frustrated today, too, (and prolly shouldn't be posting), but I thought I'd nosy in and give my $.02 worth anyway.

You may not know, but there is a small black hole that circulates the earth a few feet below the crust. It has been known to pass under bathroom scales, just as you are weighing. Its increased gravitational pull affects all of us, one time or another.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. (I think the black hole has been traveling around with me like Pig-Pen and his dust cloud.)

Flavio
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
[...] Your body fat percentage has not gone up. Also, impossible to measure at the gym. You have not gotten fatter.
[...]

GMNEVO: Weight loss is not a linear process, there will be ups and downs and it won't be easy. We all know how you feel, we've all been there before but I believe you have good reasons to be confident. One month is still too early to see any results, I'm pretty sure you're heading in the right direction. Stay strong and never give up!

You also mentioned you are going 5x week to the gym. That's great but doing the right exercise is more important than doing a lot of exercise. If possible, hire a PT or some professional help, it will make all the difference in the world.

John: How do you measure body fat percentage, then? I'm not sure how the scales at my gym work but I always thought they were accurate.