40-Somethings - 40-Somethings It's National Splurge Day Challenge, oh Yeah!

mboo
06-17-2013, 04:53 PM
CArma, Sorry To Hear About You're Moms Passing. Know That We Are Here For You
Sending Hugs And Prayers Your Way.

guacamole
06-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Carma - so sorry about your mother! :hug:

Didn't have a problem getting to 3fc today. Maybe the site owners contacted google/firefox to get taken off their suspicious list?

Another birthday party today, and another day of calories blown. I have been biking, but didn't get out to exercise today. I need to reign in the calories - so hard with lots of events. Exercise will be hit or miss until the beginning of July because of kids at home. If I can control my calories, it won't matter as much weight wise if I can't exercise. Taking it day by day.

kelijpa
06-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Just got caught up...sheesh

Carma-so sorry for your loss, I read your mom's obit, what an amazing woman! Thanks for sharing!

I was afraid to proceed to the site after the issues I had with Internet and getting my email closed down because they thought they saw something suspicious. Not sure if they were related, but didn't want to chance it. Then I saw on the 3fc FB page the tech team was working on it and fixed whatever it was. Ticks me off that they try to attach malware to a good site.

Anyway, sounds like I have some struggling with me and some of you inspiring me! Not giving up, definitely need to change up something, same old not working, honk I will try the dreaded push-ups...

Best to all :sunny:

Sum38
06-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Aah, last day.

I met all my eating and exercise goals, but weight I missed by 0.8 pounds. I still blame my gluten incident :D Over all I am very pleased with my challenge results.

I fasted yesterday and it felt really good. I had a big dinner, tho. Our garden is producing basil like crazy and I made some pesto :drool: and we enjoyed it with chicken. I also found Michigan grown, organic, strawberries from Whole Foods and those were YUMMY! Not watery tasting like the forced grown Costco kind. I made some real whipping cream to go with strawberries and it was a delicious dessert.

Zumba is afraid to come back because of the junk that was going on with security issues :( -- I told her that my computer did not detect anything suspicious; I am married to a tech nerd and my firewall is impenetrable.

I'll write my plans out on our new thread, once it is up and running :) Jennifer are you starting it? -- I am looking forward to our new challenge!

Jennifer1966
06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm up again today to 167.2, but we Mexican and I hit the angel food cake with homemade strawberry jam pretty hard! I'm definitely getting back on track today! I did not reach my challenge goal of 10 pounds, but I did manage to lose 6. I am happy to have lost! I started our next challenge! Hope to see everyone there!!

Jennifer1966
06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Even though I didn't exactly meet my weight goal, I bought my splurge for National Splurge Day! Here's a not very good picture of it.

soon2beskinnyCarma
06-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Thank you all for the hugs. Each day is getting easier. My kids went back to school today, my daughter is going to see a counselor, although her teacher couldn't believe I was having behavior issues with her as she is always her best student. But she figures maybe school is DD safe zone and she is seeing the counselor today. DS asked if he had to go and I said only if he felt he needed it. My concern was more with DD as she had so much anger towards me and my Mom. I don't want her to have guilt later in life. DH still being very supportive although has not wanted to walk. Think he has some issues with his hip but he won't get it checked out.
Weighed in at 217.2 today. So I believe I earned the pedicure. Will go next week with my friend. I will join the challenge. Is it going to be short or long? I will base my Goal on the length.

Zumbachica
06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Hi everybody..my computer finally let me log back in, it was the wierdest thing.

Bad news and good news.

Good news, I passed the audition for that fancy club and I start next week....So despite the fact that I have a lot of junk in the trunk they said they liked my energy and enthusiasm. At the end of the day I can dance like its nobodys business and i"m glad that they saw that.

Bad news, my son got below the average that he needed to maintain for all his honors classes so most probably will NOT be in honors for next year. This is devastating, and it cauesd a lot of tensionin the house last night because of course his father made a federal case out of it and somehow this is my fault also. Going to try and get in touch with the guidance counselor today....although i don't think that there is anything that can be done.

I won't be splurging, I don't deserve to. I"m over 145 this morning so five lbs away from mini goal. Have to stop and regroup...and think about the next chalenge and if I have the mental stability to do it..because when i fail i wind up having a breakdown and can eat a whole package of oreos. I set myself up for failure with challenges.

2FatCats
06-18-2013, 09:42 AM
ZUMBAYay! New gym job! We never doubted you for a moment - looks like the folks at the new gym see the same thing that we here do - that you're fabulous!

2FatCats
06-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Last day of challenge results for me:
1. Maintain bf @ or below 21%
Success. Started at 149, 20.4% ended at 141.8, 18.1%
2. Strength training 3x week
Success. Didn't miss a day!
3. Dog walks (3+ mile route) daily if not raining
Success. Didn't miss a day here, either!
4. Continue to eat on plan
Success. Ate ~2000-2100 calories per day
5. Begin restoration of enclosed side porch: Complete scraping/prepwork and begin painting.
Fail. Scraped one day and my hand swelled up so bad I couldn't close it for a week. I have trigger finger in my right hand and if I overuse it my middle finger locks open. Try walking around with that finger sticking up.:o

Bottom line: no splurge for me since I didn't meet my requirements. I could blame my hand, the weather, etc but if I start giving in to myself now I will start 'negotiating' with myself into the next size up pants! Pffft. Chin ups here I come!

2FatCats
06-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Carma: My father died when I was 14. I wish my mom had sent me to a therapist. I was so angry with her for so many reasons and for so long. Glad you are having your DD (and possibly DS) talk with the counselor. You sound like you are a very caring mom! And your kids will eventually figure that out!

Moondance Lake Ontario is cold. It freezes over in the Winter and to me it seems like it never really thaws out! But I'm from South Texas along Gulf of Mexico - nice beaches! The part of the Lake we hiked is a cliff face and some big flat boulders. Having issues uploading pics, though.

Sum Does that mean the lashes are a go? Can't wait to see them!!

Jennifer Beautiful ring! My oldest daughter is an August baby.

Kelijpa Pushups were my biggest challenge. Blech. Hated every one of them. Then one day they were easy. Well, not as hard. :D They do wonderful things for your arms and core!

Sum38
06-18-2013, 11:26 AM
2FC Once I'll hit 150 I will get the lashes. I swear I will be at 140's tomorrow :rolleyes: This gluten bloat/pain is finally leaving, and I am staring to feel like a "person" once again. Food can be so evil :D

Jennifer That ring is gorgeous!!!

Carma My dad died when I was 12, and I wish I had received some therapy. You are a good mom!!

See you all at the friendship thread! :love:

mboo
06-18-2013, 11:38 AM
My Goals ForThis Challenge Are

Exercise 5-6 DaysA Week
Lift Weights 2-3 Days A Week
AndLose 9 Pounds OrMore
Cw 196.8
S 196.8
Gw 187.8
Cw 184.4
Lost 12.4 WillNotBeSplurging

kelijpa
06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Ok I'll start with the push ups, I did some bathing suit shopping and was not thrilled...still traumatic even with 40 pounds off! No splurging for me...10 pounds away from my goal...I was so off on this one I didn't realize today is splurge day and here I am on a juice fast...lol

Best to all :sunny:

newleaf123
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
I met my weight goal and 2fatcats cover your ears, at the end of the day, that's the measurement I care about. I'm still doing cardio and weights, but with a little less rigor now that summer is here.

I feel like the exercise is ingrained; I plan to sign up for a kayaking membership for my 2 sons and me. It's the food that, over a year in, I find so easy to revert to. I eat all my healthy whole foods stuff by choice, but I still struggle with giving in to sugar calls. I think this is something that will always be a work in progress.

Anyway, my goal was weight under 155, and ever since I went below that, I have never bounced back up, so goal met. I was 152.8 this AM.

LindaWW
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi - I haven't been very good about posting during this challenge, but I have been following you all. I did better than I expected, and instead of losing the 3 pounds that was my goal, I lost 10! Of course, it was due to a lot of anxiety over the forest fires we've had here, and other issues, but hopefully that will be better soon.

I'm off to go change my ticker and sign up for the next challenge. Congratulations to all of you who made your goals, and those of you who tried - even if you fell short, you were still working hard, I know!

junem
06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Ending weight 154. Barely a loss.

I did not see the 140's, as was my goal. I am blaming the men in my life. I know, I know. Blaming some one else is not useful. But I spent a good number of the days in this challenge at my brother's house, and the main challenge there was to get him to eat less sodium. And sometimes a high carb splurge was the bribe needed to keep him away from sodium laden snacks. On the other end, the home front, my husband is a grazer. He is always handing me snacks or home made cookies or a beer, whatever he is grazing on or sipping.

So another challenge down, and goal not met. I guess my personal mission should be MINDFUL eating for MY needs.

Sum38
06-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Junem; I started to eat mindfully on March 28th. I have lost 15 pounds since. I really try to listen to my body if it is hungry or just wants something. I have been 95% successful. I had a few bad meals here and there, but for the most part I stuck to my plan I made daily. I don't know if you saw me posting them each morning, it kept me accountable.

Sum38
06-18-2013, 04:06 PM
I am closing this thread. Please join our new challenge; http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/283637-40-something-friendship-day-challenge.html