Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default Biking, burns WHAT?!

I have the LoseIt! app, and I reference a lot online.

I've made posts about not wanting to do cardio and getting discouraged. Well I'm going to try biking to see how that goes.

I've looked at my various references, and for my body, at a pace of 13-15 mph, (moderate) I can burn upwards of 500-600+ calories in an hour. What ?!

That just sounds crazy to me. ONE hour of my time could burn that much. AND give me a leg workout. I get skeptical pretty quick, but I've entered my info and exercise into almost every portal I could find, and they all say the same amount. Now I know everyone differs and that number may vary a bit. But it's still baffling that I could burn that much so quickly. I need to get myself a darn bike asap!
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Not Moving/In Training/Ironman

Height: 5'6

I absolutely love biking (and spinning, which can burn even more), because of that reason. But also, I have so much trouble with walking/running because it feels so SLOW to me! Biking is easier on my knees AND it feels like I have momentum.

Your booty might get a little tender, but it is totally worth pushing through. Good luck!
100Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

My butt and its' feelings are gunna have to ship it, cause this sounds too good to be true. Feel daft that I haven't thought of biking yet. And YES, walking/jogging is so slow and if I look back at how far I've gone, before I turn around, it feels like I took 20 steps.

My knees definitely bother me and those darn shin splints hurt like a mother!

Very excited
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #4  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Biking is such an awesome low-impact exercice, it is really amazing for the knees.

Don't underestimate the feelings of your butts After taking my first long ride last year, I had trouble sitting for a few days LOL. My bike sit was really crappy though and a little sit cover made it all better.

Have fun on this bike!!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Sounds about right for a pace of 13 to 15 miles/hr... although depending on the terrain and the type of bike you're on that might be tough to average for an hour... I ride a lot... and 17 miles/hr average is fast for me... and that's on a road bike or my tri bike... on my mountain bike 10 to 12 mi/hr is really fast for me these days and it can be a lot slower based on the terrain...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote