Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Feeling self-conscious while on a walk

Hi, everyone!

I made an account back in October but promptly fell off the wagon again. D'oh. Anyways, it's a beautiful day and I have to go to the post office/town hall/etc. I am without a car today and always looking for an excuse to use my iPod, but I'm almost embarrassed about getting out there--alone, that is. I normally take the dog out without much of a problem and like walking with family/friends, but I feel like when I'm alone I look like a fool sweating or being out of breath and it's really uncomfortable.

I'm heading out the door as soon as I post this, but does anyone else ever feel self-conscious like this? I think a lot of my hesitation comes from strangers yelling rude things from their cars (really, people?) when I was much heavier. Anyways, I better go suck it up and do it before I talk myself out of it!

Last edited by Mimasaka; 04-29-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Mimasaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/155/105

Height: 5'1"

The first step to getting where you want to be is to step outside of your comfort zone. I live on a massive hill so I hate walking up it to get places. Not to mention the clothes I have were from before I had a baby, so none of them fit. I'm too cheap to buy new clothes and I'm convinced I'll fit into them again one day. I think if you just turn up your Ipod and get into the zone, you'll forget about all the other stuff and just focus on getting to where you need to be.
leighalittletyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/311/140

Height: 5'6

Don't be embarrassed! Girl, I'm 100 lbs heavier than you and I get my workout on when I walk. I don't care what anyone thinks when I'm walking because at least I am making an attempt to change it. I'd be more self conscious being the size I am and sitting at McDonald's or having the skinny people see all the junk in my shopping cart. I'm trying not to care at ALL what people think any more but that's not always easy. I know I was scared to go to my first Zumba class but you know, all the girls were so nice and welcoming, and I rocked it, at my size and all.

Instead of focusing on what people are thinking, focus on how great of a workout you're getting, how your stomach and legs feel, how the sweat is a good sign, and how you can't wait to see the number on the scale at your next weight in after all the hard work you put in.

Skettihead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #4  

I put my sunglasses on like the little boy in the movie Big Daddy (the glasses make him not be shy so he can speak in a courtroom). I act like no one can see me when I have my shades on. And it works, silly as it sounds.

When I see people walking for their health, I secretly high-5 them in my head. I had to start by walking 10 minutes at a time as I was so out of shape. And here I am less 128lbs. I had to stop caring what anyone else thought and do this for me.

I'm still so much bigger than all the cute little housewives I see in my neighborhood. Only difference now is, I don't care if they or anyone else judges me. I'm on a mission!

Now go get those sunglasses out!!

Last edited by elvislover324; 04-29-2013 at 12:28 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Sometimes i feel that way too. But really, anyone who is goign to see you or "judge" you, will most likely commend you for caring about yourself and working on your fitness. I've had a few talks with my "gym-head" friends, and I've asked about this, if they judge people who are overweight working out. And their answer is always "they're here and they're trying, we all know what they're trying to achieve (usually), and it's honourable".

Keep moving!
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I take a small towel to deal with the sweat. It helps. Especially when I have a destination in mind like a metro station. That's when I feel self-conscious the most. Sitting on a train after a morning walk!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I have felt self-conscious about all sorts of things, but oddly not this one. I will say, though, that I've been walking regularly for about six weeks now and I am working really hard, really pushing myself, doing lots of hills, really working on getting faster and... it is a little demoralizing to have someone who is *clearly* not exercising or even on their way somewhere, just mozying along... PASS ME as if it's nothing. While I am killing myself to go as fast as I can. But then I pat myself on the back for my hard work and thank my lucky stars that apparently I only have to move about as fast as a slug to get a good workout. I am huffing and puffing and I can feel it all over my body and my body is really looking better, too. So I'm getting the benefits.

Anyhow, I hope you had a great walk and it wasn't as embarrassing as you were worried about. Sometimes it feels so good just to get out and be in the sunshine!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #8  

I used to feel that way, but like others said, I just throw on some sunglasses and put my earbuds in! If people wanna be rude, they're not gonna get the satisfaction of a hurt reaction and I'm never gonna be hurt by it, so it's a win/win.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Oh yes! I have felt that way! Now I can go and run at the track and not think twice about it. The gym? That is a different story! I feel so self conscious and unsure. I'm hoping to kick that feeling to the curb soon!

The more you do it, the easier it gets.
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #10  

I was thinking about this thread since I posted on it earlier.

You know what else helps me when I walk? I *own* it. I used to be scared walking down the street, scared of embarrassment or judgment. Now I walk like *I* belong there and anyone else coming along is on my turf. (Of course it's not and I'd never say anything to imply that!) But the change in my attitude (for myself) gives me this weird confidence.

I hope something in all these replies helps you and you let us know!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #11  

Height: 5'2"

Thank you so much for the kind and helpful replies. I ended up having a wonderful day! I hid myself away during the winter season because I was ashamed of my weight gain and want to shake off the negativity AND pounds.
Mimasaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #12  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Welcome back, Mimasaka!

I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful day after all!

Last edited by amandie; 04-29-2013 at 10:00 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #13  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 272/260/150

Height: 5'7 Age: 23

I know exactly how you are feeling. I feel like I waddle a bit now! But just try not to think about what other people are thinking of you. Chances are, no one really cares! I just try to listen to my music and think about other things. It's much easier to space out and not be self-conscious when you have some good music!
By the way, I love your avatar! Junko Mizuno is one of my favorite artists. She is pretty strange isn't she? Haha.
Bunnydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I was thinking about this thread since I posted on it earlier.

You know what else helps me when I walk? I *own* it. I used to be scared walking down the street, scared of embarrassment or judgment. Now I walk like *I* belong there and anyone else coming along is on my turf. (Of course it's not and I'd never say anything to imply that!) But the change in my attitude (for myself) gives me this weird confidence.

I hope something in all these replies helps you and you let us know!
Yay Elvis! I love what you wrote here, It really speaks to where my head is at presently.

OP- I have experienced this quite often, having been the recipient of cruel taunts myself. Since my kids were born, I'm really starting to adopt a new mindset. Why should I waste any time being concerned about the opinions of @ssholes? Why should anybody? I still struggle with self-conciousness, but I head out, chin up, music blaring, like I own the place anyways. I'd rather they see me sweat than live in regret. Hope you conquer your fears.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #15  

i feel the same way even though i'm AT goal, so i walk at night but i live on a dead end street so i walk it back and forth but when i've walked my trail in the daylight i just put in earbuds and esp sunglasses if i'm feeling self conscious but seriously, other walkers could care less and they just think you're out there getting your fitness in
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote