100 lb. Club - My goal weight should be WHAT?

View Full Version : My goal weight should be WHAT?

lunarsongbird
04-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Yesterday I met with a new weight loss consultant. She is new to the center and seemed quite knowledgeable. We were chatting about goal weights, as one of the ladies I used to walk with reached her goal yesterday.

So she says, "Yup- according to your body composition- a good weight for you will be around 170. Your lean body mass has really been holding steady- and you are quite muscular and that hasn't changed at all for the last 4 months. So 170 will put you right there at the fitness level of fat percentage."

Well...all be darn. I guess it just reiterated what I've already known.... a lot of people don't fit in that darn BMI chart.

I know that learn body mass can change (wouldn't mind losing some muscle in my calves! LOL), but it was still felt good to let go of that secret goal of desiring to be in the middle of the healthy weight range of the BMI chart.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ixBCbH_sbWM/Stcv60G5bGI/AAAAAAAAAMk/4uaGnd64LUU/s400/balloons,colours,girl,hope,inspiration,joy,letting ,go-2548c1d39309e5cb37bb12f2e007ef54_m.jpg

So I think that at the center- I will call goal at 167, but I suspect I will continue to shoot past that. And hopefully :: fingers crossed :: I will publish my goal thread here at 3FC when I see a big fat positive on a super special awesome test, but that won't be until sometime in 2014.

Has anyone else had to come to terms with the fact that they might not fit into the BMI? Or their super secret goals?

elvislover324
04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
That's actually a relief to me! I'm the same height as you but I think a few (!!) years older than you. Getting to 199 is taking a miracle request that hasn't been answered yet, I can't imagine the struggle to 170 I'm going to have. :(

I'm big boned (I think) but someone told me a couple of weeks ago my shoulders look so petite. I almost fell off my chair laughing, I've never been nor will I be petite!!

Garnet2727
04-28-2013, 01:18 PM
*raises hand* After consulting with my own health care practitioner, I raised my goal weight to 175. That's 15 pounds over the high end of BMI for me but it's what we both think is attainable, maintainable and healthy for me.

AnnMarie77
04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
I did this once before (sigh!) and I was able to get down to 127. But I had to really push it to get there. This time around, I am hoping to get to a technically "normal" BMI and I'm going to see from there, which is 144 for my height I believe. I don't want to have that super secret number in mind right now, if I get to 144 I will be thrilled and back in a normal weight range. :smug:

SweetScrumptious
04-28-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm only 5'1", so according to the BMI chart... I can still be "healthy" at 100lbs. My super secret goal weight has always been 110 but I think reality has kicked in that I may never get down to that. I've reset it to 120 and I think I'll feel okay at that weight but I still mentally strive for 110.

SuperHeroTeacher
04-28-2013, 04:03 PM
I was so relieved when I met with my Medifast counselor the first time that they don't use BMI. At 5'2" by BMI says my ideal weight range is 112-117 pounds. I haven't weighed 117 pounds since middle school, and I WASN'T an overweight teenager.

Based on my lean muscle mass, MF set my goal weight at 155. I think I might actually shoot for the 130-140 range, but right now 155 is so far off, who knows, I might be fine with it.

merilung
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm not too worried about where my goal weight falls on the BMI scale. Right now my goal weight is 135, but I'm comfortable with my actual goal falling higher or lower (though admittedly I feel that any lower than 125ish would be too far in the other direction) when I get there as long as I'm fit and healthy.

linJber
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
BMI for my height is about 130 - 158. I have a medium frame and no boobs, so I figured somewhere around 140 - 145 was my ideal weight (I'd allow a bit more to compensate for excess boobage, so I had to deduct a bit here!) I was about that in high school and was a little lower in my late 20s. But when I got down to about 165, I realized that 145 would be horrible for lots of reasons, vanity being the first. I'm over 60, was heavy for 25 years, and at about 80 pounds lost I realized I was starting to look saggy. I had intended to lose at least 100 pounds between 1/14/11 and 12/25/11 and was ahead of schedule to do that, but called it quits after 90 because of the sag in my upper arms, neck, and thighs mostly. That puts me at a BMI of just over 25.

It felt awful to quit. I had to keep telling myself I had not failed. I decided to stop losing - it was a choice based on wanting to be comfortable wearing shorts and short sleeved tops - I hadn't failed to lose. But It's good to hear recent reports that people with a BMI a bit over 25 live longer and it's good to know you can be very fit and healthy at any (reasonable) weight. Thanks for reminding us.

Lin

Daimere
04-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I don't really have huge goal. If I can make it to 200 or 199 this year, I may cry in happiness. If I chose to maintain for a few months and continue on, I will do that. Otherwise, I keep my weights high and then will decide to lower as needed. I'd love to be 150. But I understand a lifetime of obesity may make that hard. So 185-175-165 would do me well. It all depends on how I feel at that weight.

Garnet2727
04-28-2013, 06:30 PM
"A lifetime of obesity..." That's something that was a major factor in my conversation with my doctor about my goal weight. I have never been a normal weight. I was born heavy. I weighed over 200 pounds at age 18 and I've not been below that as an adult. My weight right now is the least I've weighed in over 20 years. It feels good! But I know I'm not done yet. :)

So, yeah, 175 I think is a good target. When I get closer, my body may tell me different. It may tell me higher or lower. I dunno. But I'm comfortable with the number for now.

Keep Moving Forward
04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm 5'5" & the BMI chart says I should be between 130-150. I used to think that was completely impossible, but I've set my ultimate goal weight @ 145, though I may not be able to get there & still be muscular. As merilung said, I really just want to be fit & healthy, so whatever weight that puts me at will be just fine....

At least, that's what I hope. I hope I won't be one of those people who wants to just keep getting smaller & smaller....

April Snow
04-28-2013, 06:35 PM
A while back, I had a thread about the Dukan Diet calculator weight, because for many people, the recommended weight from there was higher than a healthy BMI. I think my recommended weight is 181.

I'm not really setting a final goal weight, though. I know from when I got to 199 before, I wasn't where I wanted to be physically, and I was likely more than 20 lbs away. My goal is to get in to non-plus sized clothing, well non-plus sized tops, I already can wear non-plus bottoms. I think the low 170s may end up being about right, but since I've never weighed that low as an adult, I honestly don't know.

So for now, it's just getting back to Onederland and then taking it 5 lbs at a time after that.

elvislover324
04-28-2013, 06:39 PM
So for now, it's just getting back to Onederland and then taking it 5 lbs at a time after that.

I'm stealing this great plan of yours, April. 5lbs at a time sounds great at the moment (assuming I conquer this onederland issue I've had the last 3 weeks!) . :)

merilung
04-28-2013, 06:50 PM
I've set my ultimate goal weight @ 145, though I may not be able to get there & still be muscular.

This is my only concern about my goal weight as it's set right now - I've weighed 145 before and because of my teeny, straight frame I still had a flabby look - not that there's anything wrong with that, I'd just prefer to look fit and be fit! - but if I put on a fair amount of muscle this time around, it's possible that my goal weight will need to be higher. I know at 145 I still had a good 10 pounds of extra fat, but I'm not sure how much muscle I had at that point and if I had more/less than I'll wind up with this time around. I was working out pretty regularly, but mostly cardio stuff.

ubergirl
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm 5'8" (or just a hair under) and I could not force my body below 188-192 no matter what I did. I went months on end unable to get below or even maintain my lowest ever weight of 186. When I was in the 190s, I met with our employee wellness coordinator and she said that according to my excellent lean body mass and body fat composition I was normal for my age (50)

I was happy with how I looked, fitting into normal sized clothes, super fit and medically healthy, but I was so hung up on never "hitting goal" that I never fully committed to maintenance. So I think it's a really good idea to take a wait and see approach about goal weight. Even as a teen and in college, when I was on the varsity crew team I always weighed more than other girls my height, but I was also a lot stronger than most of them. People are just different.

Daimere
04-28-2013, 09:43 PM
I weighed over 200 pounds at age 18 and I've not been below that as an adult.
I was 300 pounds at 18. I got to 212 when I was 20. It started to get harder and I had higher aspirations for myself then. This is why I am trying to do it the way I am now. I'm not even really trying to get to my goal weight. I just have a yearly goal. It's practically splitting the loss in half. I figure without thinking of the bigger picture, I'll set myself up for better success of maintaining or losing.

SuperHeroTeacher
04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm stealing this great plan of yours, April. 5lbs at a time sounds great at the moment (assuming I conquer this onederland issue I've had the last 3 weeks!) . :)

You are so close elvislover! You will get there!

shcirerf
04-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Aww, the charts! The BMI charts, the insurance charts, the medical charts!

Take them out and use the paper to start a nice campfire!:carrot:

That being said.

The charts are an average. And a guideline and nothing more.

I'm at 137, for my height/weight/age/body comp, I could really lose 10 more pounds. Is it gonna happen? Most likely not. So be it. I'm happy.

My oldest son, 5'11" 185, the charts consider him obese! Really? He is a state trooper/SWAT sniper, and one big ole walking muscle! He is just one of those guys who was blessed with a fantastic muscular body! Trains all the time!

What about ladies like Jennifer who does the WW commercials? She still looks like she has a big booty. That is the way she is built! I have a SIL, that has thighs that would scare most men! 5'3", 130, she is not fat, she just has big muscular thighs!

For myself. I have a pot gut. Partly genetic, partly due to having twin babies that weighed over 6 pounds each! Hard on the mid section!

It is what it is and at this point in time, won't change without the benefit of surgery, which, I'm not gonna do.

However, I have big ole "man" arms! And for a woman, they are long. Just strange.

Thanks to a lot of weight lifting, I'm getting a nice set of thighs, but I still have no butt! Flat as a pancake. :dizzy: But, I was blessed/cursed, depending on how you look at it with more bosom than any female needs. *deep sigh*

The charts are not an end all be all. They are fine as a general guideline, and nothing more.

I concern myself more with my bloodwork numbers, blood pressure numbers, and so on. Much more accurate numbers on how healthy you are.

Underwater
04-28-2013, 10:57 PM
This is a super comforting thread. My goal has always been above normal BMI because I want a maintainable weight. I won't make it long term if I feel I am killing myself to maintain at 150.

Right now my goal is 10 lbs away at 165. But I am also eyeing 155, which is normal BMI.

marrisalove
04-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Me too! I just restarted on changing my lifestyle. I started a year ago, quit, gained a lot more weight and once I started my maternity pants again regularly . .. . keep in mind that I was not pregnant, I decided to start changing my wicked ways again. I believe my BMI puts a ceiling on a healthy weight for me in the low 160's but I remember being happier around 180.

I really want to lose this weight but I do not want to look like a bobble head either.

Mozzy
04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
I have two goals... 175 and 145.

175 is my ttc goal
145 is my bmi "normal" goal

We'll see what happens by October, that's my yardstick :-)

punkrocksong
04-29-2013, 07:45 AM
This has been a very helpful and informative thread. I've been starting to think I set me goal way too low. It's not because I don't think I can do the work, I just don't want set myself up for failure. I was at 190 when I was 18 and that's the smallest I've been in my adult life and I was a little chubby but that's because I didn't exercise at all. I have an appointment with a dietician later next month...hopefully that will shed some light on what a realistic goal should be. I suppose I have a while before I really have to worry about it though. ;)

time2lose
04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Very interesting thread! SuperHeroTeacher, so glad to see your post. I am also 5' 2". A wellness check that I had at my work said that I should get below 133. That just seems impossible to me! I try to focus on the next 5 or 10 pounds because it is just too discouraging to think about the entire amount of weight that I need to lose. I chose 160 for my ticker because that would get me out of the obese category with the BMI. That goal may be raised or lowered (can't imagine) when I get closer. I am working with a weight loss physician this time around and we have not even discussed a goal weight. I won't bring it up until I am below 200 pounds.

I am interested in a goal waist measurement. It makes sense to me that waist to height ratio is a good assessment of healthy size. I want to get my waist measurement under 35 inches with a 31 inch waist as my ideal.

Novus
04-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Several years ago I lost weight and when I was somewhere in the 190s I had my BMI tested with a handheld gadget thingy. It was almost 6 points lower than what the charts said I should be at that weight! I was almost at a "normal" BMI. I plan to do that again when I get to my current goal - 175 - to determine if I need to go lower. Those charts are so inaccurate, imo.

PreciousMissy
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
For my height, my goal weight is set pretty high. The BMI calculator says I would have a BMI of 29.2, which is in the normal range, but that's not why I set my goal weight at 170. I set it there because I was comfortable at that weight. I liked the way I looked.

April Snow
04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Several years ago I lost weight and when I was somewhere in the 190s I had my BMI tested with a handheld gadget thingy. It was almost 6 points lower than what the charts said I should be at that weight! I was almost at a "normal" BMI. I plan to do that again when I get to my current goal - 175 - to determine if I need to go lower. Those charts are so inaccurate, imo.

I think you are referring to body fat percentage rather than BMI? or maybe lean body mass?

BMI is a simple mathematical formula that calculates weight for height. There is certainly some legitimate argument whether the cut off points between the various categories are accurate, and people can be healthy at weights above the 25 BMI cut off point for the overweight category.

But the calculation itself doesn't change, and it cannot be measured by any device, or even by the far more accurate measurements of body fat such as DEXA or hydrostatic measurements (where they measure your body weight in water).

ubergirl
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
This is me (pre-regain) I think I was somewhere between 188 and 192 here. That's the weight I was able to maintain for almost a year. I think I look good here. That's a BMI of 29.2

100Mother
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Wow, awesome thread is awesome! I checked out the calculator mentioned earlier, and it said a good weight for me would be 177. My goal weight is 169. At my height, I am supposed to weight less than 155 to be considered 'normal' or whatever that is! Ha!

I think the only time I may actually fall into the 'norm' on those charts is when I start working on my bucket list goal of completing an Ironman Triathlon. But dude, 169-177 sounds great to me! :)

April Snow
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
This is me (pre-regain) I think I was somewhere between 188 and 192 here. That's the weight I was able to maintain for almost a year. I think I look good here. That's a BMI of 29.2

I think you look great there!!

And definitely good reinforcement for all of us to not get that hung up on the numbers on the scale or BMI charts.

Novus
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
I think you are referring to body fat percentage rather than BMI? or maybe lean body mass?

I don't remember exactly. The person who did the reading with the gadget compared it a BMI chart, and I found this article (http://www.livestrong.com/article/558509-how-does-a-handheld-bmi-machine-work/) when I was trying to recall what the gadget was called.

Measuring BMI with a handheld machine has become very popular, since it is fast and easy. The machine sends a small electrical current through your body and measures the resistance the current encounters. The current travels easily through water, but does not travel through fat. The machine measures the resistance the current experiences as it travels through your body; the higher the resistance, the more fat there is. This is considered to be a more accurate method than simply using your height and weight, which does not take into consideration other factors that can affect your fat composition, such as age, muscle content and gender.

I could very well be wrong, of course.

lunarsongbird
05-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I was thinking about this thread again today.
It's funny how your weight loss journey can evolve. And instead of being discouraged with what's happening on the scale....I must change. I feel like I'm constantly going through metamorphosis during this weight loss journey. Every month it feels like I'm getting closer to the true goal.
...which looks something like this:
http://media.ntvmsnbc.com/i/NTVMSNBC/Components/ArtAndPhoto-Fronts/Sections-StoryLevel/Sa%C4%9Fl%C4%B1k/GENEL/nefes.jpg..bmp
(this picture has always been on my dream boards- far before I even decided I needed to lose some lbs)

So today I found a little more serenity. I pulled the BMIs out of my mini-goals and changed my tracker to track fat percentage instead of weight. :: nods :: Good stuff.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-e3LcGziHHFA/UNEj459S5yI/AAAAAAAAD_E/_7edE3OuEPY/s320/freedom.jpg

Radiojane
05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Great thread. The BMI chart says I should aim for 170. When I was 15 years old and lost weight and looked AMAZING, I weighed 212 pounds. I may well get to 230 and decide I'm perfect. Most women aren't 6 feet tall with my bone structure.

I'm also aiming for "happy". I'm stronger and in better physical shape than I have EVER been. I'm far from happy with my body. But I'm excited to see how I end up!

irishsarah
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I hate the BMI chart. To me, it feels like it is setting me up for failure. :(

At this point, I let my weight get so out of control that I just want to see ONEderland again. 175 would make me very happy and 150 (my current goal) would make me SUPER happy.

However, I would really love to hit 145 and that is STILL considered a bit high from a BMI stand point! What gives?!

I think a good goal weight is one where you FEEL good. When you can move, play, breathe and look in the mirror without tears coming to your eyes and with a SMILE on your face...that is when you've reached your goal.

punkrocksong
05-17-2013, 09:30 PM
The more I'm looking at the BMI chart compared to everything else...I'm thinking I might be shooting a little low. I'm fairly tall - although not as tall as Radiojane (which I'm envious of) and I have a pretty large bone structure. Maybe I'll just stop when I decide I'm "hot" enough.

elvislover324
05-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I am still just about 40lbs to get into the "normal" BMI range, still about 15 from just being overweight. The last time I weighed 160lbs I thought I was living so large. I think this time around I'm going to feel like skin and bones at that weight (assuming I can get there!).

I see people who are 5ft 6in with goals of 140 more or less. I don't think I could ever pull that off unless I was very, very sick. It just doesn't even seem feasible for my body.

ikesgirl80
05-17-2013, 10:57 PM
A while back, I had a thread about the Dukan Diet calculator weight, because for many people, the recommended weight from there was higher than a healthy BMI. I think my recommended weight is 181.

I like the Dukan Calculator! First it told me that my current weight has to be bigger than the weight at 18. Well, I am about 50 pounds lighter now than when I was 18! The I lied to the calculator and told it the lightest I weighed at 18 was 180 instead of 250. Well guess what? I am exactly at my Dukan weight, 189! I tried changing the 180 to 155, and it told me my true weight was 187, so I'm thinking after surgery and a little weight lifting, I'll be golden!

This has been a very helpful and informative thread. I've been starting to think I set me goal way too low. It's not because I don't think I can do the work, I just don't want set myself up for failure. I was at 190 when I was 18 and that's the smallest I've been in my adult life and I was a little chubby but that's because I didn't exercise at all. I have an appointment with a dietician later next month...hopefully that will shed some light on what a realistic goal should be. I suppose I have a while before I really have to worry about it though. ;)

The more I'm looking at the BMI chart compared to everything else...I'm thinking I might be shooting a little low. I'm fairly tall - although not as tall as Radiojane (which I'm envious of) and I have a pretty large bone structure. Maybe I'll just stop when I decide I'm "hot" enough.

I am 5'9" and in my avatar pic I am 190 pounds. If you click on my profile, you will see another pic, and in that one I think I weigh about 220-230, but it is not full body. I carry all of my weight in my stomach, so I wear a full body slimmer every day to keep all the loose skin (and a bit of fat) from swaying all over the place. I am in a L/XL top (due to some 38DDD's), and 13 jeans. My workout pants/capris are M. My surgeon told me that my ideal weight should be 155, but most BMI charts let me go up to 164ish. I don't know if that is helpful, but I know what it is like to not have a reference point!

I have lots of pics at various weights, so if there is a weight in particular you would like to see(190-350), PM me, and I will arrange that for you!

Chris

toastedsmoke
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
As someone who spent an entire lifetime overweight, let me share my BMI story. When I started this journey, I set my goal at 165 kind of arbitrarily. I thought I was 5'8 where I was actually 5'7 and some change and 165 was the highest "normal" BMI weight. Now bearing in mind I set this goal when I was 275 lbs and had never been 165 at least not since I was maybe 8 years old, I had no expectation of actually reaching this goal. My dream was to get to my high school graduation weight of 207 lbs when I felt the skinniest in my life (I went to boarding school my senior year and dropped weight).

Imagine my shock of getting to 207 lbs and realizing that it was actually not the skinny mini weight I'd imagined. I decided to press on thinking that Onederland would solve everything. Okay so I got to Onederland and yes it was uncountably better than where I started from but I was still chunky. I got to the 180s and they were probably a weight I could have lived with but I was more "pleasantly plump" than "lean mean fighting machine." When I got to the 150s, I was happy. For the first time, I was normal weight and I felt I LOOKED normal weight and coincidentally, this fit in with the upper range of healthy weight for me on the BMI charts (about 24.4). No one would look at me and say I was skinny (except people who knew me at my heaviest and were shocked by the change) but at the same time no one would guess I'd ever been obese.

I want to get down to 140 just to see what it would be like to be actively slim. But that's a vanity goal. The point of my sharing this story is to say that BMI isn't necessarily wrong and your goals can't always be planned in advance. You often never know till you get close how you're going to look or feel at a certain weight. It's as you approach them you can evaluate and re-evaluate how happy you are with your progress and this is never static. So set goals but also feel free to keep the flexible and change them upwards or downwards as you approach them.

punkrocksong
05-20-2013, 08:56 AM
toastedsmoke - that's a really good point. I set 160 kind of arbitrarily as well and I'm just going to keep losing until I feel comfortable with my body again. I'm sure I will change my ultimate goal up or down once I get closer. I have a very large bone structure though so I might get to 180-190 and feel comfortable.

My Mom is 5'7 and she got down to 135 at one point and she looked anorexic which is why I'm not sure anything lower than 160 will work for me as I inherited her sturdy bone structure. I suppose only time will tell - but I have a long road ahead of me and I'm just going to keep moving one day at a time.

kakeJ
05-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Great thread. The BMI chart says I should aim for 170. When I was 15 years old and lost weight and looked AMAZING, I weighed 212 pounds. I may well get to 230 and decide I'm perfect. Most women aren't 6 feet tall with my bone structure.

I'm also aiming for "happy". I'm stronger and in better physical shape than I have EVER been. I'm far from happy with my body. But I'm excited to see how I end up!

RADIOJANE That is the right goal. AIMING FOR HAPPY,
The BMI charts mostly don't deliniate for men and women.
I have been happy in high school and college at 225lbs. and I never felt stronger than then. Of course I was 18 or 21 years old. LOL!
i recently got to my goal of 100lb. lost and moved the goal weight to 175lbs.
which i will take my sweet time doing because I'm happy with what I've done so far and as long as I don't fall back into old habits, i'll get there. now the BMI caharts say that in order to not be considered overweight I should be 168lbs. That is kind of silly since my 6'1" or 2" 195lb. husband just falls into the overweight category as well. i mean he has a 33" waist and wears a belt on 34" size pants! I couldn't find an area to pinch on him if I tried.
At least the WEB MD site uses a rational that a waist to height ratio of 50% or under is a good measure. That seems attainable for most folks. By that measure he is .45. i have a little way to go to get to 50% but can do.
I'm almost 5'10" and envy your height radiojane.
so you see ? it's good to be tall!!
You are doing amazing. Really great. just remember to AIM FOR HAPPY AS YOU SAID. and Good LUCK

Pink Hurricane
05-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I am so glad you posted this Lunar! I have never, in my entire life, fit into the BMI chart in order to be healthy. I am 5'5 and have fantastic blood work and overall health when I am anywhere in the range of 175-190lbs. If I weigh more than 5 lbs less than 175, I start to look sick and feel awful.

I'm glad to hear that you got a healthy weight to meet! My husband and I spoke with my doctor and she agreed that once I reach 205-Onederland I would be suitable to be able to have a healthy pregnancy once we start trying for a baby. (That would also be sometime in 2014) I'm glad to hear the news with you!

GordonGirl16
05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Those BMI charts really aren't for everyone, especially for people who exercise regularly. My anatomy professor (a certified nutritionist) has said that a new BMI chart might be coming out within the next few years, one that is for athletes. She said athletes, or people who exercise in general, can add 15-20 pounds to those in the BMI chart and still be healthy. It's all about muscle mass!

I am 5'2" and according to the BMI chart I am right on the line between overweight and obese. However, considering I wear a size 12 pant I don't put much stock into it. That being said, I do have a very petite frame - I have very small, hands, feet, and shoulders. So I really should lose some weight because I think it would be beneficial for me. I am too young (18) to have had any cholesterol blood work or anything like that, but there are a lot of health problems that run in my family related to being overweight/obese. And even though I know I am not a large person, I don't currently feel comfortable at my present weight.

I do want to lose weight, and my ultimate goal weight of 120 (I haven't been that weight since I was 11 I think) is technically in the middle of the "normal" BMI range, I am doing this more for me and my health than to be considered "normal."

AlmostMe
05-23-2013, 04:47 AM
I just added 20lbs to my goal weight. There is NO WAY that I want to weigh less than 175 in the next 12 mos. Could I get down to my original goal weight of 155 in the next year? Yes. Do I want to be there? No. I want to be strong and frankly a little bit heavy. To be honest I don't want to weigh less than 185 while I'm still playing rugby. (I plan to semi-retire after the end of next season and then I will try to lose a little more weight as I will be willing to let some of my muscle mass go at that point.)

However, I DO want to change my body fat percentage.

lunarsongbird
05-23-2013, 09:56 AM
However, I DO want to change my body fat percentage.

Hear, Hear!
I was just reading a story in a triatholon magazine that a woman went from 155 pounds and a size 12 to weighing 155 pounds and wearing a size 6.

She didn't lose a SINGLE pound on the scale, but isn't her size in change incredible? What if she gave up because the silly scale wasn't moving?

I really liked that story.

zoesmom
05-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Well crap. I never considered any of this :lol:

When I was fit, way back when nearly 12 years ago, I was 161 pounds and everyone always told me I looked too thin, even then. I had huge breasts (we are talking DDD), I wore on average a size 6, and was insanely active so I chalked it up to a disportionate body. Then life threw a curve ball with a car wreck and dietary issues (oh....you should eat protein if you are a vegetarian. Opps. I guess that is what happens when the rest of your family is a carnivore and you are never properly taught.)

Anyways, I had my goal weight set to 150, thinking now that my breasts are smaller thanks to a reduction, that would be a fine and dandy weight. And then, I decided just a few days ago, that 135 would be my goal as it would give me some wiggle room and still be able to maintain the healthy BMI.

And then, I stumbled across this thread. Well. Crap. :lol:

Some research done, some calculations done...and double crap. :lol: I WAS too skinny apparently! I have ALWAYS had a high muscle percentage....even at 293 pounds, I measured in with a fat percentage of 35 and some change %. I am now hovering around 31%. If I keep going and reach my "goal" of 135, I would be looking at 0%, which is REALLY unhealthy! Triple crap :lol:

Looks like all the calculations out there point to me having an ideal weight of 171. Dang. Crap. :lol: I guess I'll rechange my goal weight again...and see what 170 looks like before I decide to go on down the line again.

Crap :lol:

lunarsongbird
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Zoesmom- I wouldn't worry about it. I think goal weights are kind of silly...trying to guess what our body already knows. I'm personally going to continue eating healthy and living an active lifestyle- and maybe I'll get to a lower weight that I never thought was possible (I read stories about this happening all the time.)

It just bums me out when people set goals that aren't really feasible for their body and then feel emotionally awful when they don't reach those goals. Having a goal can be wonderful motivation, but you also don't want to see people set themselves up for failure, you now?

The number on the scale seems to own people. For me- having a concrete goal just solidifies that ownership. But I don't want the scale to own me.
I do actually go to a weight loss center- my goal there will be whatever weight I am when I run out of membership time. My goal here will be the weight I hit whenever I find out I'm pregnant.

I think it's helpful to determine WHY having a goal is important. What happens when you hit goal? Will you increase calories to start maintaining that weight? Will you go back to eating certain things? Will you exercise less?

I'm intuitively eating and only eat whatever I want to eat- whenever I am hungry and stop when I hit a point of diminishing returns. This will always be the case. I feel like I'm living maintenance and still losing weight. For me- having a goal would tell me when I could post my "GOOOOAAALLLL" post or when they would celebrate me at the center. If that's the case- I could pick non-weight goals, which I did.

http://www.verybestquotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Judge-success-quotes-thought-for-the-day-service-quotes-Martin-Luther-King-Jr.-Quotes-300x300.jpg

lunarsongbird
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Also- a lot of people picked a goal like yourself- 170...and once they hit that- they will lower the goal by 10 pounds, until they are satisfied with where they are at.

ETA: Oh- and are you using a super accurate scale to measure your body fat percentage?
I have a scale at home that has a fitness setting and a non-fitness setting. I thought...hey...I work out a lot, I must be fitness- and the numbers were all wonky. The non-fitness center matches what is at the weight loss center I go to.

lunarsongbird
05-23-2013, 10:49 AM
You'll see that I also decided to pull off my ticker since my last post on Friday.

I'm just tired of tracking things. I just want to live a healthy life and my weight will follow. The weight loss might be a bit slower then if I was agressively dieting, but I have no doubt that I can maintain and enjoy this way of eating and fitness plan.
http://www.lowdensitylifestyle.com/media/uploads/2010/07/secrets-life-healthy-product1.jpg

zoesmom
05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
lunar thanks for your post :) And yep - I am sure my numbers are correct, they come directly out of my doctor's mouth once a month after he measures me and does all his little tests. Ultiamtely, I really don't care about the number on the scale, but how I feel overall. The number on the scale just gives me something tangible when I am feeling defeated. I can point at it and say, "SEE!! SEE! IT'S WORKING!!" So, I really am not too upset that I may need to throw my weight higher or lower. I actually am rather amuzed by it. Ultimately, I plan to play it by ear. My goal weight is flexible, hence I was easily able to change it without more than a few jokes, and when I hit it, nothing amazing is going to happen outside a sense of pride. :)

lunarsongbird
05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Your fat percentage is AWESOMEEEEEEE!
I'm still at 40% trying to get to around 23%.

zoesmom
05-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks :) I chalk it up to the fact that I was a vegetarian most of my life and up until a car wreck that messed my left leg up pretty bad, I had been insanely active...rock climbing and backpack hiking every weekend 20+ miles and such. Even when I when I became sedetary, I was still much stronger than I appeared and was always the "go to" person for heavy lifting. I know when my doctor first did he thing, he double and triple checked it and got someone else to come measure me as well as it didn't make sense to him. Somewhere under my blubber and skin I had muscle down there. Since then, walking, jogging, running, and lifting weights has become my life. I've always been able to tone up quicker than my family and peers. I don't lose all the quickly, but I tone insanely fast and slim up even faster. For example, I have lost 50 pounds, but went from starting at a snug 3/4x to a pretty comfortable 1X and a size 28 pants to very loose 18's (16's aren't quite comfortable yet.) My mom, who weighs a good 40 pounds less than me is in a 2X and a size 20/22, and we share the same height and appear to share the same bone structure, so at least to me, it appears my younger habits helped. Never discussed it with my doctor, but it makes the most sense. Of course, it kind of stretches the whole "muscle memory" theory into pretty flakey territory, but none the less, that is my belief. :lol:

ArtThistle
06-27-2013, 01:59 AM
I am stunned. I, too, am 5'6". I'm a Scottish-Canadian. More than that, I'm the pictish sort. Which means my family is kinda stocky. I'm 158lbs, and when I was last weighed by the doctor at 165lbs I was told I was obese, despite most of my mass being muscle.
I'm also an ice hockey player, waitress, and I have 2 large breed dogs that require long walks.