Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/279/220

Height: 5'9

Smile 10 Years Post Op

I had my Gastric Bypass in October 2003. It was extremly hard mentally for me. I lost alot of weight 150 plus pounds. Ten years later and I have gained 65 pounds back. Would I recommend the surgery? Yes, because if you are anything like me, exercise is out in my world. I just won't do it, but I was ok with changing the way I ate after awhile, I made it interesting by creating different protein filled meals. No, if you have an underline addictive personality that is UN diagnosed. I became the worse Alcoholic known to man, because I traded one addiction for another. Thankful to GOD that I have been Sober 4 years and 2 months. Weight loss surgery is not for everyone,do not just your homework on the procedure but yourself, go to the therapist and really get down to the grind of what really puts the weight on you. The more you research inside and out the more successful you will be.
sweetiepeach70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

great advice! and from what i understand, you're not the only WLS patient who's turned to other addictions. It's really a mystery to me WHY the medical community [and non-medical communities as well] can't seem to get this through their heads.

There are MANY paths to obesity, and that means there's no one size fits all answer. We've found ours - surgery. and that's fine.

I'm - let me count on my fingers - 11 years out, and have regained about 80 pounds, but i'm also thrilled to say that i've lost about 50 of that - just going back to the beginning. but i also gotta say that my attitude about food is completely different than it was even 5 years ago. thank goodness!

glad you're doing well and finding your path.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #3  

So good to hear from you, I love hearing stories from WLS patients that are 5 to 10 years out. I have to have surgery for something else, but my doctor wants me to loose 50 pounds first and as I can and will do it. I need the surgery. Si I too have to go back to basucs. I am kind of excited.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I am not one who has had experience with WLS, but I just want to congratulate you on your soberity. That is an incredible achievement. My grown son has been five years sober now and when he posted that on FB on his anniversary last year it brought tears to my eyes to see how many people who know him from different times in his life posted how happy they were for him.
At the same time a young woman his age is an online buddy of mine on another diet site has been very open about her struggles with alcohol over years and despite many types of interventions just can't get sober. So I see how incredibly difficult it is.
If you did that you can kick the weight again. You can do this!
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #5  

I have not had surgery yet, but my doctors have been talking to me extensively about being aware of swapping addictions, so if it does happen, it doesn't get out of control before I'm able to realize what's happening. I agree that if this is something you're serious about, you really do need to learn as much as possible! Congrats on the 10yr landmark and the sobriety, I really love hearing from people who've been in the game for a long time, it's nice to see what it's like down the road. Thanks for sharing.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #6  

Thanks so much ladies, I appreciate it. Yes, sobriety and weight loss is a challenge, but you have one thing right Patns, if I can beat.alcohol, I can sure get back on track with my weight loss and I am really looking forward to it..
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

congrats on getting sober! I know how hard that is (clean 22 years this month) I switched to food back then but Counseling and years in 12 steps helped me to not switch again. I recommend counseling for all people, I have grown so much in the years I have been able to talk to someone.

I am in the same boat in that I have gained some of the weight back and can't seem to get it off again! I was so close to goal before I hit a wall and started slowly putting it back on.

I agree, it's back to basics! Thanks for sharing, now I know I'm not alone in this struggle.

Last edited by missangelaks; 04-29-2013 at 07:33 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote