Calorie Counters - Do you drink diet soda?

View Full Version : Do you drink diet soda?

beecurrency
04-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Okay, okay, I would first like to say that I know the dangers of diet soda on health, etc. But every once in awhile I drink one. Like today. Give me credit, though, this was only my third one in 2013. =)

My question is, though, does anyone drink diet (zero-cal) soda regularly? I have no intention of taking up that hobby, however I would like to know if anyone has seen any impact (negative or not) from drinking it regularly while calorie counting.

elvislover324
04-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I drink Coke Zero (sometimes the cherry) and Sprite Zero which I guess are technically diet soda. I do Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi too if that's all a store has. I have about 1 can every other day as a treat.

I always drank full calorie soda before I started my diet. Drinking the no calorie ones has had no effect on my weightloss or cravings as far as I can tell.

JenMusic
04-25-2013, 08:30 PM
I drank diet soda throughout my entire weight loss and never noticed a problem. (I drank it before weight loss, too, combined with thousands of calories of food! :))

I still drink about a diet soda a day in maintenance. I drink much less in winter, when I don't want them because I'm cold, and then my summer consumption goes higher.

Some people say they notice an increased craving for sweets when drinking diet soda, but I've always felt they had the opposite effect: Sometimes a Coke Zero is my "dessert" and I can stop there.

I don't fool myself that they're healthy. I know they're expensive and not the best choice. However, it's a compromise I've made with myself - I've changed so much about my lifestyle and food choices, so a diet soda a day is the one vice I still get to keep. :)

Roo2
04-25-2013, 08:39 PM
No Soda here;) was a Major Regular Coke drinker before starting Ideal Protein....had to give it up ....and am saving a ton of money ! Cuz no Soda is purchased ....and now no one drinks it here!:

Roo2:carrot::carrot:

Vex
04-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Yep, I drink a lot of diet. I gave up caffeine though so at least now that's one monkey off my back with caffeine free only....

It has not had any effect on my diet. In fact, the fizzy actually fills me up in the evening when I may have the urge to eat something else.

Underwater
04-26-2013, 01:55 AM
My diet is so restrictive that I enjoy the variety in diet drinks. I drink 1-2 diet Snapples a day. They are 10 calories a bottle.

startingagain1
04-26-2013, 04:49 AM
I used to drink them all the time! But I gave up when I started dieting in case it made me want to slip back. I have them once in a while as a treat but they're always diet drinks. I do drink a lot of caffeine to get me through a day at work though! Need to cut back on that :)

VermontMom
04-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I started drinking Diet Coke w-a-y back, what, maybe 1981 or 1982? I have not had a full sugar soda since, though I do realize that diet soda is not a great choice. But it's a 'choose your poison' in my opinion. Last night, when my husband was having ice cream, I had a Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry, it was delicious.

Oh i see your question was 'regularly'. Yeah, I guess so, there can be a few days when I won't have any soda, but instead diet Snapple powder, that you mix yourself. Then I might have 1 or 2 cans of diet soda some other day (if it's in the house).

newleaf123
04-26-2013, 08:01 AM
I started drinking Diet Coke w-a-y back, what, maybe 1981 or 1982?

Oh, yeah - ditto this! I remember buying Tab out of the machine after soccer practice in high school; must have been 81 or 82, too.

I drink diet soda almost every day with no ill effect on weight loss or maintenance.

wolfgirl69
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Yes but mainly on the weekends. Occasionally during the week (Like after my therapist appointment). Anyways my daily intake is mainly water. (I buy mine like at fast food-just for the drinks not the food-though occasionally a snack-because my medications make canned soda taste HORRIBLE)

MedChick87
04-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I drink diet drinks quite a bit...I find it's one of the few things in my diet I can have as much of as I want (0 calories!). I'll have 2 cans of Diet Coke or Diet Cream Soda a day. I still get plenty of water, too. I have never noticed it being a hindrance to weight loss, nor have I noticed an increase in sweets cravings. I hardly ever crave sweets. However, I don't really have a big sweet tooth to begin with, so it might be different for other people.

Kandis Apples
04-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I was a huge Diet Coke drinker - like 4 - 6 cans a day. I was told by my coach to stop immediately. Cold turkey. So that is what I did (this is my first week of IP). Oh how I miss it! I think that I am hungrier without it. Could my coach be wrong?

wolfgirl69
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
I was a huge Diet Coke drinker - like 4 - 6 cans a day. I was told by my coach to stop immediately. Cold turkey. So that is what I did (this is my first week of IP). Oh how I miss it! I think that I am hungrier without it. Could my coach be wrong?

is it mostly bad for you? yes. Does that mean you should stop it cold turkey? In my opinion no. But that's just my personal opinion. I believe in living life to the fullest and enjoying it. So as long as your healthy (blood test-over all health-main diet-etc.) in my opinion there's nothing wrong with tossing in a little of stuff like that. Again this is all just my personal opinion. Just a little in your diet will not hurt you.

kisskiss
04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I drink diet coke all the time, and it hasn't affected my weight loss so far.

CaityCait88
04-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Moderation is key and also the changes you're making need to fit with YOUR life. It is better to allow yourself to have a diet coke and actually enjoy it than going cold turkey and perhaps falling off the bandwagon as a result of feeling deprived.

I have the occasional diet coke/pepsi but also drink seltzer when I want something fizzy. Do what works for you. It may not be the best beverage ever but if it is replacing regular pop or a calorie laden beer then why not?

amandie
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Yea, I still do regularly- one or two a day or every other day, depending and it needs to be caffeine free due to my acid reflux so usually diet 7up or sprite zero.

ChickieChicks
04-26-2013, 02:38 PM
I used to drink one diet pop every day for years. I just stopped last month. It didn't hinder my weight loss or maintenance. I finally stopped, because it was one of the last unneccesary chemical foods/drinks that I was consuming.

Sum38
04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Nope. I hate the taste, LOATHE the diet yucky taste, and fake sugar hates me back; it bloats me, makes me poop :o -- well I guess if I was constipated, super bad, I could drink a diet pop :dizzy:

I think that stuff is poison! And even most gum have Sucrose. I started buying gum online that has xylitol as a sweetener (yup, it is expensive, but I am not feeding poison to my kids!)

So please step away from that diet!! :D

Angelic Fruitcake
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
I used to be addicted to it. I hate to be addicted to something so I decided to stop, cold turkey, on Feb. 13 of this year. It was hard but I don't miss it anymore.

Skellig19
04-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I think that stuff is poison! And even most gum have Sucrose.

Sucrose is regular white sugar.

Sucralose is a modified form of sucrose so the body doesn't absorb it. Sucralose isn't often in sugar free gum. It's usually aspartame and maltitol. The sugar alcohols (maltitol and sorbitol) are notorious for causing diarrhea if over consumed. Perhaps this is what you're thinking of?

Anyway, I love diet soda. Drink it all the time (1 a day or 1 every 2 days). No ill effects and it really helps me stay on track! Like others have said, it makes me feel full (if gassy!), and it hits that sweet craving spot without the nasty effects of regular sugar.

My favourite is Vanilla Coke Zero which isn't sold in Canada so I have to go to the States for it. Yum yum!

shishkeberry
04-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I drink them sometimes but I don't really care for the carbonation. I'm also trying to lower my added sugar intake and diet sodas make me crave sweets.

Radiojane
04-26-2013, 06:15 PM
We were told after my father had his stroke that the massive quantities of aspartame he was consuming led to a drastic reduction in his thiamine levels and contributed to his problems. Granted he was drinking 4 or more litres a day. I went to full sugar regular coke after that, and drank way too much of it. I gave up the pop even before I started to diet. Now I have the occasional one as mix for an alcoholic drink, or the occasional can of cherry coke, but I find about half way through it I feel ill.

Em Coconut
04-26-2013, 08:02 PM
I drink Pepsi max. Mostly on weekends but it happens during the week too. I used to drink a lot of regular coke, that was my addiction. Decided to trade it in for something without calories, so Pepsi max it was. It doesn't affect my weight loss, except for the fact that it helps keep my after-dinner sweets cravings away :)

Sum38
04-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Sucrose is regular white sugar.

Sucralose is a modified form of sucrose so the body doesn't absorb it. Sucralose isn't often in sugar free gum. It's usually aspartame and maltitol. The sugar alcohols (maltitol and sorbitol) are notorious for causing diarrhea if over consumed. Perhaps this is what you're thinking of?

Ooops, I meant to say aspartame, lost my head for a minute, my bad! Thanks for correcting!

Sum38
04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
My favourite is Vanilla Coke Zero which isn't sold in Canada so I have to go to the States for it. Yum yum!

I know BC is a big providence, and I don't know how close to Whistler you are,but my fav is Whistler water! I take a trip there each year to get some :) (We just do the skiing on the side :D) -- But seriously, if I could buy that over here, I would be in heaven!

kayin
04-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Ooh, Whistler water eh? I'll have to try that sometime this year when I go there.

I drink about 1 diet soda a day. I drink it for the mild caffeine effect if I don't want high caffeine coffee or hot tea (I prefer cold drinks, especially before/during long walks or hikes)

It helps me to wean off having too much caffeine in coffees and getting tolerant to caffeine.

Edited to add: it hasn't slowed my weight loss as far as I know

beecurrency
04-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I hope I don't have to ditch my man card for admitting this but "something natural blueberry lemon" is my preferred beverage. It has little sugar and some Stevia for 30 calories.

Hahaha, that made me laugh! I've never heard of that drink, but you can keep it along with your man card. =)

And good to hear all the replies. I never ever bring soda into our house. My only consumption of diet soda is when we eat out, which is really rare as it is. But I just wanted confirmation that it doesn't screw up calorie counting. I know its not healthy, but a break from the gluten free oat bran and organic veggies is nice every once in awhile, ya know? ;)

Pink Hurricane
04-27-2013, 01:27 PM
No I quit drinking soda a few months ago for good. I ended up having headaches pretty regularly for a couple of weeks but then I haven't had any trouble since! I also no longer feel like I want soda either, it's not appealing to me anymore. :)

AnnMarie77
04-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Nope. I find that when I drink artificial sweeteners I completely lose my ability to drink regular water. So I had to cut myself off cold turkey.

freelancemomma
04-27-2013, 07:26 PM
My question is, though, does anyone drink diet (zero-cal) soda regularly?

Not regularly, but I sometimes get a diet Coke when eating out. I grew up with zero pop in the house (European background) and never saw the point in buying pop, so we don't have it in the house unless my teenagers are having a party. I think the occasional diet pop is probably fine.

F.

Koshka
04-27-2013, 10:06 PM
I drink cherry coke zero and it has never interfered with my weight loss. I am, however, currently cutting back on it - not because I think it is unhealthy - because I want to cut out caffeine and I felt I was spending too much money on it. I still drink it or coke zero when I go out to eat.

tdesrocher
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I used to drink a ton of diet soda, several a day and nothing else I almost never drink anything but water (and one cup of coffee) now and haven't for a few years, I did not notice any change in my diet success or failure, I just knew if wasn't good for me so it was something that was unhealthy to eliminate. Plus it saves a lot of$$$ not buying it.

wolfgirl69
05-01-2013, 01:52 PM
It turns out I need the caffeine. My medication causes focusing issues. Can't get my school work done. So it's like having ADHD but I can't take those medication because of my bipolar (It will trigger a manic episode and that's bad). And caffeine is the only thing that seems to help me focus on my school work. But my meds also make me caffeine sensitive so I can only drink 2 cans a day... i think. I'm still figure it out. It may be 1 can. It depends how tonight goes.

Garnet2727
05-01-2013, 02:18 PM
I drink three 20-ounce bottles of Diet Coke every day. It has no discernible impact on my weight loss efforts. What it does do is to wake my sleepy butt up. Right now, I freely admit being addicted to caffeine and I also freely admit that I have no intention of cutting it out or cutting back. The times in my life that I haven't had caffeine have been awful. I get severe headaches to the point of vomiting. I'll pass on that.

Steen
05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm drinking a Diet Coke right now:D. I find them filling, especially room temperature Diet Coke. I drink maybe one every couple of days...

NorthernChick13
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I drink Crystal Light with vodka as a low-cal alcoholic drink. I drink once a week so I feel it can't hurt!

beecurrency
05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
I used to drink a ton of diet soda, several a day and nothing else I almost never drink anything but water (and one cup of coffee) now and haven't for a few years, I did not notice any change in my diet success or failure, I just knew if wasn't good for me so it was something that was unhealthy to eliminate. Plus it saves a lot of$$$ not buying it.

I love this! I didn't think to ask if anyone had given it up and noticed a difference. This is encouraging that its not going to kill my diet. =) I will say again though, that I RARELY drink it, but still good to know that an occasional treat isn't doing anything.

zkharmaz
05-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Is diet soda bad for you?

The answer is a resounding yes and for a number of reasons:

1. Sodas bad for your teeth - although diet sodas contain far less sugar than regular sodas and are mostly made up of artificial sweeteners, they're still highly acidic and may damage your teeth in the long run.

2. Diet soda can make you gain weight - even though diet drinks contain less calories than the original beverage, it that they're really that good. They might still be rich in calories. In addition, there's nothing like sweetened drinks to help you develop a craving for other sweet food, which means more calories.

3. Drinking diet sodas makes you drink less of more healthy beverages like water, green tea, or natural juices. You're missing out on the good things and sticking to the bad.

Stars
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
rarely, but I used to all the time until I started to watch what I eat. I had one diet soda about 2 weeks ago and omg, it made me feel literally alive and happy. I felt so good after drinking it. It was a can of happy! lol I don't get it, drinking water doesn't make me feel that way, but oh boy, that soda sure did!

AdorkablePG
05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE diet coke but can not drink it. When I drink diet soda I crave real sugar. So it's best for me to just stay away.

thnknthin1
05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes. I have about one diet coke a day....and it has not affected my weight loss.

Tibbits2u
05-08-2013, 01:35 PM
i drink diet drinks all the time. drinking them have had no imapact on my losses, I never crave other stuff or go off my diet plan. I wont drink plain water at all..the smell and taste just make me gag.

Remington90
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
I only get one when I'm out to eat. Sometimes when I get subway, I'll get a Coke Zero. If there's anything besides water, I'd rather a nestea zero (splenda) or a variety of different teas.

beecurrency
05-09-2013, 08:29 PM
I only get one when I'm out to eat. Sometimes when I get subway, I'll get a Coke Zero. If there's anything besides water, I'd rather a nestea zero (splenda) or a variety of different teas.

That's too funny! That's exactly why I asked - I was eating Subway and got a Coke Zero with it. :D Normally it's water or tea for me.

sosurreptitious
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I used to drink about five bottles of Diet Dr Pepper a day on average. But I started to notice that I was actually having issues with my food intake . I was craving sweets and fats and I would find myself over-consuming at night. But that has been my own personal experience.

Betty Jewel
05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
I stopped drinking Coke Zero about 7-8 months ago. It took a good 6 months for the cravings to go away.

mandydawn77
12-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I have always wondered the same thing. I quit drinking all carbonated beverages years ago because a diet doctor told me to. I drank nothing but tea, coffee and water for well over a year and it didn't seem to make any difference at all for me. I enjoy carbonation so eventually I went back to it. I have been dieting off and on since mid 2011 and I have diet pop every single day. I've lost 100 pounds so far, so I guess I can say it doesn't seem to hinder my weight loss. Although I have never tried cutting it out since I've been dieting to see if I would lose any faster without it. It's nice to know that others have reached their goals while drinking it daily. I quit smoking years ago and don't plan on going back to it, but I feel better since I stopped. When I quit drinking carbonated beverages I never noticed a difference in how I felt, so I guess that's why I don't see a reason to quit again since I really do enjoy it. I know the chemicals aren't good for me, but there are lots of natural foods that have poisons in them (don't ever eat apple or cherry seeds). I think it's all in the quantity and I drink more water than I do anything else. Some days I only have one can of pop, but other days I might have 3 or 4, just depends on what's going on.

Paisleymama
12-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Yes, I have a can a day. It's one of my two vices, along with dark chocolate.
I do want to cut it out of my diet eventually but I'm not prepared to do it yet. It ties me over in the afternoons.

Koshka
12-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Yes, I have a can a day. It's one of my two vices, along with dark chocolate.
I do want to cut it out of my diet eventually but I'm not prepared to do it yet. It ties me over in the afternoons.

I don't think that moderate consumption of dark chocolate (specifically dark chocolate) is a vice.

I go back and forth on the diet soft drink thing. Right now I drink two cherry coke zeroes a day most day. I sometimes have a caffeine free coke zero in the evening (I don't drink caffeine containing drinks in the evening).

I do try not to eat/drink too much artificial sweeteners (just because...not because of any specific proof they are bad for you). But, I can't give up the caffeine. I keep trying to find a drink with caffeine and no calories but no artificial sweeteners. I hate coffee. Tea I am more neutral about. I don't love the taste but don't hate it. But, it seems sort of like a pain to make tea for one person. I would want it iced, not hot. Usually when I see it made it is for a large quantity which is fine for a group but not for just one.

Secret Swan
12-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I drink it all the time. I always have--since I was a small child. Might be why I am not taller. :)

I don't think it makes me crave things, because my body is very acclimated to it. I can see that it might be different if you are using it instead of nondiet soda though.

CalCounter1003
12-07-2013, 03:39 PM
The only problem I have is that if I drink anything "flavored" even if it is Crystal Light, then water never tastes good to me after. So I like to get in a good bit of water first or I wont want water the rest of the day. When I dont get enough water my skin seems weird. It may be all in my mind. LOL

I agree completely with this!

I had been a Diet Dr Pepper (ddp) fanatic for as long as I can remember. My life revolved around keeping enough in stock and when traveling had to find it. I drank about 6 cans (but many days a lot more) per day for probably 30+ years. I never liked diet coke or diet pepsi. (Note, with both of my pregnancies I did quit cold turkey and didn't drink it while pregnant or nursing - which resulted in a massive 2 day headache).

So... in July when I started calorie counting I knew I needed to start adding water (which I NEVER drank). So I bought limes and had crushed ice and starting drinking water. It was really good! One day I realized "hey, I only had 3 ddps today!" So then the next day I had 2, and then the next day 1. And that was it. I haven't had any since! I had not planned to quit ddp - I didn't even think it was possible! Now I love water. I don't bother with lime any more.

The funny part is, I teach HS and I quit in the summer. So when school got back in, I come rolling into school with a 12 pack of waters in my little rolling cart. Everyone was used to me bringing in 12 packs of ddp (at least 3 12 packs a week). And then people noticed me carrying water! No one could believe it. Most of all, some of my students! I taught this one boy who had bugged me all last year about quitting and how bad it is for me. He is taking a different class from me this year and he couldn't believe it. I couldn't wait to tell him! LOL He likes to take credit for it, and I told him that his persistent pestering did contribute to me quitting. But like I said, I had not planned to quit at all.

I feel like a monkey is off my back. I don't have to look for ddps on sale every weekend! I feel much better, not bloated. I still love desserts but things don't have to be as sweet. I don't think I could have done it during the school year. I do remember I took a lot of naps those days I was quitting. I didn't have headaches - no idea why. Oh! Just remembered something. I used to get headaches all the time. Every day I would take advil or tylenol once or twice a day. I would think it was because I needed another ddp, so I'd drink another one. Since I quit drinking ddp, I have had only one headache - the day I got my new glasses which are progressive lenses.

I think if you are the type of person who can drink just a few a week, you are fine. But, obviously I had a severe addiction. I do not miss it.

Now, if I could just get DH to quit! But I don't bug/pester him because I've been there.

beautybooty
12-07-2013, 09:09 PM
I used to drink diet soda every day. I stopped for a few days because I was getting headaches and I wanted to see if maybe that was the cause. The diet soda wasn't giving me headaches, however, it was severely affecting my appetite. I had the same breakfast each day and the day that I decided to drink a diet soda in the morning again I found myself hungry 2 hours sooner than the previous days. It definitely makes me want to eat more. I was in denial for so long because in my mind I thought I would know the difference between real hunger and artificial-sweetener induced hunger. Genius, of course. If I knew how to identify true hunger/boredom/etc I probably wouldn't be as overweight as I am!

Melonlefey
12-22-2013, 03:56 PM
I drink LOTS of diet soda. For me, drinking diet soda has been IMMENSELY helpful for losing weight because I used to drink just as much regular soda, and at least its zero calorie. Then again, for every can of soda I drink I probably drink 3 times that in water, so I never see the appetite issues other people have mentioned. I also don't drink coffee or tea so this is my source of caffeine, and I would NOT survive without it.

(I've also always be very skeptical of the people screaming from the rooftops about how bad diet soda is for your health--I blame years of Chem/bio courses and the realization that "CHEMICALS WILL KILL YOU" is a load of malarkey haha)

edoetsch1
01-03-2014, 01:19 PM
I used to drink almost a 12 pack of diet coke a day! I am now down to one a day. Some people have to have their coffee in the morning. I like to have a diet coke w/ splenda. After that one, I stick with water for the remainder of the day.

littlemissbee
01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
I have decided to completely cut out soda. I tend to want to eat more when I drink even diet soda. I'm replacing it with citrus waters. ^.^

MainelyKnitting
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
A little off the topic of diet soda drinking, but a year ago last summer I was a size 6. I started drinking Mt. Dew, loving the caffeine. Now I am wearing a size 14 and getting upset with myself, because I did this to myself! The soda is definitely the culprit in my weight gain. At one time I weighed a little over 300 lbs and got down to 130-140 (my lowest was under 100 but I felt horrid). At 140 I am a size 6-8 and feel good so that is my goal.

Today is my first day with absolutely no soda - only water. I can't drink diet soda because the aspartame makes me feels sick and gives me a headache. My doctor told me that there are a few diet sodas that have caffeine and NO aspartame, although I have yet to find them. Anyway, just wanted to make my first post and saw the soda topic...

BTW, before giving up Mt. Dew, I was drinking more than a 2 liter bottle per day.

MainelyKnitting
01-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I have decided to completely cut out soda. I tend to want to eat more when I drink even diet soda. I'm replacing it with citrus waters. ^.^

LittleMissBee, can I ask you how you make your citrus water? I can't have aspartame and it's in almost all diet drinks, so I have to flavor things naturally. If you can tell me a way to spice up plain water, I'd love it!

Dollfaise
01-07-2014, 09:03 PM
I don't really drink soda anymore. I don't crave it so I only drink it when my boyfriend has some and I want a sip. Otherwise I would never have it. I never saw the point in diet soda, especially after cutting regular and realizing how hooked on it I had become. Even if it didn't impact my weight loss, I still don't feel attached enough to it to bother.

BettyBooty
01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I used to drink diet soda all of the time and then ran out one long weekend about 3 or 4 years ago and just kind of stopped drinking it. No real reason other than laziness (not wanting to buy and carry in the case from the store). I occasionally drink flavored sletzer (no sweeteners in it, just essence or whatever) but don't really enjoy soda anymore. I was never a big regular soda drinker, so the diet stuff wasn't to replace anything and I don't recall there being a significant change in my appetite when I stopped.

Selina
01-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't drink anything soda-ish. I only drink water, unsweetened tea and occasionally coffee.

Munchy
01-08-2014, 01:03 PM
About ten years ago I drank diet soda occasionally for about one year. I didn't grow up on it and haven't really ever liked it, so no soda or diet soda.

Maybe once a year I'll drink a seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime.

Silverfire
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
I am a POP-A-HOLIC! Recovering, I'd like to think. There was a time that I would drink 2-4 cans of pop a day, if not more. Then last year when I started this whole process the first time, I quit everything but zero cal red bulls. Last few months I have had more than a few bottles of pop and I think that it kicked my weight gain up a notch for sure. I have been and still drink a can of zero cal red bull everyday and I don't think it had much of an impact on my previous weight loss... at least I hope not!

I have always been really tempted into getting a soda stream, then you can just fizz up your water if you need the bubbles!

kaplods
01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
I do drink diet soda and Crystal Light type drink mixes and grew up with it in the house. Most rgular soda tastes sickeningly sweet to me, and leaves a strange, sticky film in my mouth after drinking it.

I don't find regular soda thirst-quenching at all.

I have drastically cut back, mostly because I'm trying to retrain/curb my sweet tooth.

Fat Knickers
01-17-2014, 02:14 AM
I used to drink at least 2 cans of regular cola a day but cut it out, and I can't stand the taste of diet so I go without altogether! I had a sip last night at a party and the sweetness of it was just too much for me, and that's something I've never experienced before when I've gone cold turkey with it. Hopefully I've kicked the habit for good.

scarletmeshell
01-24-2014, 08:15 AM
I have a diet soda maybe twice a month. However I grow stevia and put it in my coffee daily and sometimes in ice tea.

LilDazed
01-24-2014, 01:00 PM
I used to drink diet soda ALL the time. But after doing some research on the chemicals they use to make it taste good, I haven't had one in a long while. I prefer the sparkling waters. Less chemicals, though some still put things in 'em I prefer not to be there.

I'd rather just have a regular soda every once in a while. They taste better. Haha.

CalCounter1003
01-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I have a diet soda maybe twice a month. However I grow stevia and put it in my coffee daily and sometimes in ice tea.

Wow, that's really interesting that you grow stevia! I heard it was natural but didn't really believe it. I'm not a gardener but I'm going to look into that!

Six months for me with no diet soda, I feel so good with that monkey off my back. But I was not normal with diet soda. If people can drink one a day or week, that's great. I just can't! I was having at least six cans a day.

FatAbbi
01-26-2014, 10:09 AM
I drink diet soda everyday. I feel like it helps curb hunger and has no effect on weightloss. I have and do give up so much it's hard for me to give up that.

Velvet bean
01-28-2014, 08:46 AM
I drink diet soda 1-2 times per week and I never noticed any negative side effects. I know it's no healthy, but it REALLY helps if you crave for something sweet!

MoonShadows
02-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I sometimes drink my orange flavored soda for the caffine but I can only drink diet though, cuz I get seriously sick if I drink regular. I'm told I might be diabetic. But I'm not. Weird thing is, drinking diet soda makes me hungry! :^:

sumu1
02-02-2014, 08:47 AM
I love my Diet Coke. I've probably cut back over the last year to try to drink a little more water (not a water fan dang it ) but it's never really hurt my "dieting " efforts.

jodoto
02-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Water and skim milk for me...only! When I am at a party drinking alcohol, it is skim milk and Kahlua...and that doesn't occur very often!

Samantha18
02-02-2014, 10:07 AM
I use to drink it, and did for many years, but for the past year now I only drink water and plain iced tea. Weight loss was easier once I gave it up, though that might be because I find tea really manages my appetite.

tdiprincess
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
It's neat reading this thread and seeing what people's responses are.
From my aspect I will drink diet once in a while. I honestly think regular and diet pop are both terrible for us, but that doesn't mean I won't drink it. I prefer regular, but don't like to make space for calories lol.
I do LOVE the carbonation feeling, so I actually enjoy seltzer water or club soda. So generally now, if I'm in the mood for some bubbly, I pick that up. (It's also a great mixer!!) ;)

Soon2BSlender
02-27-2014, 02:30 AM
I drink green tea either plain or with stevia, coffee with stevia, plain water or mineral water. Occasionally I'll have a glass of red wine and even less often I'll have a full sugared soda. I don't like the taste of diet soda. When I start getting a migraine at work, I'll sometimes grab a Coke. On flights, I'll sometimes have some ginger ale.

icantbelieveit
02-27-2014, 01:24 PM
I've found that anything with artificial sweeteners makes me crave sugary foods BIG time, so I gave it up. And high fructose corn syrup in regular sodas is even worse, so nahhh. Not for me. Great to see some folks can still enjoy it and do fine, though! This will be great news for my OH who does NOT want to give it up.

Terra1984
03-18-2014, 11:47 PM
I drink 2 Cherry Coke Zero's and 2 Cherry Diet Rite's a day and I've lost 8 pounds while still drinking those. The only reason Im back up to 300 is because I havent been walking like I should.

christine123
03-26-2014, 11:58 PM
I actually mix half diet coke, and half regular coke and it's the perfect mix for me. I drink my concoction probably 1-2 times a month -- not often. And then I track the calories from the regular coke. It's my own quirky way of having soda now and again...

Radiojane
03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
I had about two sips of diet Pepsi last night & all I could taste was salt.

seemenow2008
03-27-2014, 08:35 PM
I drink diet soda. I feel like I will eventually phase it out but for now having this small indulgence is what keeps me on track with all my other choices.

pghchick
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
I know it is bad for my teeth among other things but...I read the title as I sit with a Coke Zero in my right hand. Guilty.
I will tell you that I went on a strict clean eating diet for 8 months. I ate almost no sugar and I was and still am crazy about brushing my teeth/flossing every night. It had been years since I had a cavity. I drank a lot of diet soda (I mean A LOT) and lost like 65 lbs in 6 months...however, I had a cavity that turned into a root canal after 8 months. I think it was from the acid in the diet soda. :( But I still drink it. How foolish.
Have you ever tried coke zero and bacardi? Lol.

FleurDeLis
04-25-2014, 03:14 PM
I used to be a serious cola drinker (mostly coke,but any cola would do). When Coke Zero came out I transitioned to that, but would still have a regular cola when I went out to eat or something like that. When I got pregnant I switched to Caffeine free coke zero. Now I'm back to regular coke zero. I don't have one everyday necessarily. Some weeks I might, some I might not. Usually only one a day though. I still indulge in a regular coke here and there for fun. Can't beat that classic coke taste! Drinking coke zero helps me in my weight loss. I can still have a pop, it doesn't cost me calories.

Kscott
04-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Okay, okay, I would first like to say that I know the dangers of diet soda on health, etc. But every once in awhile I drink one. Like today. Give me credit, though, this was only my third one in 2013. =)

My question is, though, does anyone drink diet (zero-cal) soda regularly? I have no intention of taking up that hobby, however I would like to know if anyone has seen any impact (negative or not) from drinking it regularly while calorie counting.

I've drank diet soda for over 2 decades now, and have had no ill effects from it. I also use sugar substitutes for coffee, etc. Lately I like this zero calorie tea--that I drink a lot of. Granted, I should be drinking more water--but the tea tastes a lot better.

nostoneunturned
05-03-2014, 09:52 AM
I didn't read all the pages but wanted to chime in since I am the biggest (Diet) Cokeaholic I know! I drink 6-8 cans per DAY. It's horrible for teeth and bones and such, I know. At least as far as teeth since I tend to "gulp"- I don't sip on it, usually drink it in big swigs- my teeth aren't bad actually.

As far as weight loss goes, diet soda has no effect either way for me. It doesn't make me hungrier or fuller than any other drink. I just don't like plain water. I've tried the flavor packets from Crystal Light, etc, and don't like 'em. I've tried cutting it out and as you can imagine, I suffered a massive withdrawal! Sounds funny but it was a three day pulsating migraine and achiness all over, I could barely get out of bed. You'd think I was coming down from something a bit more hardcore. Anyways the only thing I notice it to effect is my stomach obviously is more bloated once I've gulped down a couple cans.

As a side note. I used to smoke many years ago when I was a young'un (ok I am not old at 28, but this was my late teens) and thankfully haven't done so in many years. Especially when dieting, Diet Coke was kind of my naughty vice to pull me through tough moments. I wouldn't smoke, and maybe wouldn't drink alcohol as much to cut down calories, but I could always have a diet soda. I'm no longer "dieting" but trying to make better choices and living a healthier, more active life. I feel like Diet Coke won't have a place in my life as I get further and further into my healthy living journey, but I am taking it one step at a time.

berryblondeboys
05-03-2014, 10:01 AM
That is my one vice. I love diet soda. I drink the soda stream variety, 1 liter a day. It absolutely does not make me hungrier or anything.

mars735
05-03-2014, 10:50 AM
My long ago evening treat was A & W diet root beer & creme sodas. Once they quietly added caffeine, I had to give them up. I would still drink those if they were caffeine-free. Sometimes in a restaurant, I will get a strong desire for diet pepsi. It's weird because i don't usually care for it at all. But at those times, it hits the spot. Since my recent/current big diet, I use Mio as a crutch to gt my water in. I do think it contributes to sweet cravings, but it also satisfies that itch. All in all I would rather that I didn't use artificially colored chemical concoctions, but anything that helps me control my weight is on the table, no pun intended!

maddierep
05-05-2014, 03:18 AM
I like sprite zero and/or 7 up free

I know the sugar substitute isn't good for me (tonic water/soda water isn't widely available here else i'd switch to that)

But i love the bubbles. And it helps sublimate sugar cravings etc. I've drunk an entire 1.5 litre bottle in one day.

I'm getting better now, i try not to have more than a glass a day. I can't give up this coping mechanism

jmh6251
05-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Yes I do, but more then anything else I drink Seltzer Water. It helps my stomach, as I think I have an Ulcer. My oldest Grandson got me back on Coke Zero. Not that it's bad, but I kicked it once so I'll have to do it again.:dizzy::cool: