South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/226/175

Height: 5'11"

Default Cheat days?

Hello South Beach bunnies! I was hoping to get a little feedback from you.

I'm just about finished with phase 1, Sunday will be my last day. I'm stoked for phase 2, I know I need to ease into fruits but I'm SO excited to eat an apple on Monday. It's going great so far, I haven't cheated once and I'm down ten pounds.

A few days ago my mom and aunt (who are also on SB) were talking about having one meal a week as a "cheat." Something exciting to look forward to, or something planned so you don't feel like you failed if you go to a baseball game and have a hot dog or something (go Rays!).

I know phase 1 is to kick cravings and jump-start your metabolism, and I feel like it worked perfectly for that. I used to drink a litre of soda a day (yeesh, I know) and now I guzzle water like it's no one's business. I just worry that cheating even once a week on phase 2 could be really detrimental to my diet. Not by starting cravings up again, just by setting my diet back. I won't even touch soda, but could going to McDonald's once every now and then trip me up badly?
AlleyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

I regularly plan cheat days or meals. It keeps me sane and I think once you are done with phase 1 it is ok. You just have to know yourself well enough to know you'll get right back on track after a cheat. Do you think you'll be able to do it?
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #3  

Oh, okay! With everything but soda I know I'll be fine. I definitely wouldn't cheat with Pepsi, I know that'll be a slippery slope.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Once a week, to me, is too often. I agree that you need to plan a cheat meal after you get out of Phase I b/c, otherwise, you'll go nuts...but I know for me, personally, once a week would make way for twice a week, and then three times, and, well, you get the point.

When I first started SB, my first cheat meal was pizza and a Pepsi. I loooooooooooved Pepsi and couldn't imagine giving it up...I had maybe 4 sips and I threw out the rest. It was way too sweet and didn't even taste as good as I had remembered.

For me, 2 cheat meals a month is my limit. Anything more than that and I start falling back on bad habits. Just keep a check on yourself and make sure that you're not slippin more. This early on in the program, I just worry that you'll be playing w/ fire.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I was going to mention like what Natasha said....you'll be stunned how gross some of your old favorites are. Although I admit I still enjoy Mickey D's french fries, you couldn't pay me to eat their burgers anymore!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/212.5/175

Height: 5'9"

"South Beach Bunnies"...that's CUTE. <3 !!

In my opinon, if you are going to do cheat meals, they should still be documented/regulated somehow. Not a "free for all" per say, but maybe just something mildly satisfying that you had been craving. I'll use your example of McDonald's. One Large McDonald's meal is in upwards of 1000 calories, that could possibly undo the progress you made that week. But if that's what you have to have, make sure to walk that evening, etc. Like Twynn said, I had a couple chicken nuggets from my daughter's dinner the other night and i was amazed at how bad they tasted...

For me its all about satisfying that craving, and having the strength to MOVE ON and pick up right where you left off. Good lucky lady!
Redrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #7  
For Real This Time!

Height: 5' 4.5"

I would say a cheat day is fine. If you don't you'll find yourself binging and losing all the progress you've made. I also wouldn't make it a free for all either. Take one thing that you really love and have a reasonable portion of it. If you're tracking your food (always a good idea even though SBD doesn't necessarily require you to do so), still track your cheat meal. As for how often, you know yourself better than anyone. Can you handle once a week or should you keep it to once or twice a month? Everyone is different and you need to figure that out for yourself.
mamabear272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #8  

Awesome advice, thanks so much everyone! I'll probably stick to maybe to a month. I'm a creature of excess, I don't want to lose all my hard work LOL