Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/308/150

Height: 5'8

Default Weights

Does any one lift (barbells, dumbbells, etc)?

I am starting out with little weights. Right now I'm on 8 lb weights for arms. I have not started on lifting for my legs yet, since cardio is doing okay for me at the moment. Anyone have any advice on what to weight machines to start out on for legs?

I'm starting weights because I want as less of loose skin as humanly possible when I get to my goal weight.

Also, when I get to a certain point I want to start Cross Fit, is there anyone interested in that!? Just curious.

Thanks!
Soon2BHealthyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 331/320/250

Height: 5ft 5ins

I do lift weights but only small dumbbells, mine are 2 1/2 pounds in weight. Like you i don't want loose skin, or as little as possible anyway. i'm sticking to that weight because at the moment i can only do 15 to 20 reps of each exercise. I do aerobic steps for my other exercise. I don't know about the weights for legs but i am sure there will be lots of people here who can advice you on that hon. Good luck on your journey, Sam xxx
BuffyInSunnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I love lifting weights and try and am trying to lift heavier. It is one advantage to being larger. We tend to have more muscle to carry ourselves around and if we can maintain that as we lose we can be really strong.

For your legs, your best bet isn't machines, but squats. You can start with no weight and work up to bars. http://www.stumptuous.com/dork-diva-squat

While I have been lifting for awhile, I feel like I need to be more focused so I just ordered the book New Rules of Weight Lifting for women. I am report back on that once I get started.

CrossFit looks really intense. As someone with injuries I would feel uncomfortable pushing myself in that kind of environment, but it does look really motivating.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

If you want the real benefits of lifting, you need to lift the heaviest weight you can. You should only be able to do 8-12 reps before you HAVE to take a break. Compound lifts like squats and push-ups (do these leaning first, like on your counter, sofa, etc. until you can work up to on the floor--I'm still not there yet) help work small muscles with large ones like your body was intended to work. Lifting small weights for a lot of rep is just cardio; it will not strengthen your muscles.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/308/150

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyInSunnydale View Post
I do lift weights but only small dumbbells, mine are 2 1/2 pounds in weight. Like you i don't want loose skin, or as little as possible anyway. i'm sticking to that weight because at the moment i can only do 15 to 20 reps of each exercise. I do aerobic steps for my other exercise. I don't know about the weights for legs but i am sure there will be lots of people here who can advice you on that hon. Good luck on your journey, Sam xxx
I started out with 2 lbs and am working my way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
I love lifting weights and try and am trying to lift heavier. It is one advantage to being larger. We tend to have more muscle to carry ourselves around and if we can maintain that as we lose we can be really strong.

For your legs, your best bet isn't machines, but squats. You can start with no weight and work up to bars.

While I have been lifting for awhile, I feel like I need to be more focused so I just ordered the book New Rules of Weight Lifting for women. I am report back on that once I get started.

CrossFit looks really intense. As someone with injuries I would feel uncomfortable pushing myself in that kind of environment, but it does look really motivating.
I do squats and weighted squats. I do about 20 of each every other day. I just want my legs SORE and I just don't feel like I've gotten all the way there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
If you want the real benefits of lifting, you need to lift the heaviest weight you can. You should only be able to do 8-12 reps before you HAVE to take a break. Compound lifts like squats and push-ups (do these leaning first, like on your counter, sofa, etc. until you can work up to on the floor--I'm still not there yet) help work small muscles with large ones like your body was intended to work. Lifting small weights for a lot of rep is just cardio; it will not strengthen your muscles.
Thank you for your input! I am working my way up with the weights, I don't want to cause any injuries. I spend about 2-3 weeks per weights so far. I started with 2 lbs, then 5lbs, then 8lbs, I should be able to move up to 10 or 12lbs soon.

The push-ups, I can do the girly ones on the floor and I just started to do the tricep lift from a chair.

Thank you ladies for responding!
Soon2BHealthyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BHealthyGirl View Post
The push-ups, I can do the girly ones on the floor and I just started to do the tricep lift from a chair.
Push-ups are HARD!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 408/345.2/150

Height: 5'6"

You can do calf raises also. They require no machines and can do them while brushing teeth. I found you tube is very helpful
Patti909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #8  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella1609 View Post
Push-ups are HARD!
Boy, do I agree with that comment! I thought the "girly ones", with knees on the floor, would be easy, but I can't even do one of those, at least not with proper form. So I started doing them against my kitchen counter. Hopefully, I'll graduate to the girly ones soon!

Soon2BHealthyGirl: I think the best exercises for your legs are squats and lunges, which you can do with or without weight, plus calf raises as was already mentioned. I started without weights and worked my way up to squats with weights. I'm still struggling with lunges even with no weights. I use 3, 5 or 8 lb weights, depending on the exercise/area of the body. As soon as I find I can go longer than a dozen reps without too much complaining, I up the weight.
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote