Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Question What are your positive coping skill ideas to use that don't involve food??

Hey there

I'd love some ideas on positive coping skills that don't involve food? I have some ideas but definitely could use more.

I am going to start getting allergy shots once a week, three shots a week, yikes! I had two shots a week as a kid for four years, anyways, I am not excited to endure this process but I am doing it in the hopes that it will boost my immune system. So, since I will be going to the doc every week and I will have to wait thirty minutes after the injections in the waiting area every area to see if there is a reaction, I am wondering what I can do to 'treat' myself as a reward for taking care of myself with the injections for my health.

My first idea was to bring the Kindle that my Mom gave me with me to the doc and purchase a book on there that I really want to read as a big initial reward for doing this and look forward to reading it every time I go to the doc. Kindles are typically more lightweight than heavier books and my arms may be sore from the shots so that may work. I am wondering what else I can do.

I remember that when we had our dog, he hated these baths that we gave him every week but we had to do it for his skin and to keep him clean. At the end of his bath, we gave him a big bone and he was so happy! I want to find that type of 'big bone' reward for myself that I can treat myself with when I have had a long day at the doc for allergy shots.

I am looking for ideas like if I have a bad day at the doc's office or a bad day and want to relax without food or using my arms a lot because they may be sore. What do you do to take care of yourself without food when you've had a long day? What helps you get through doldrums of depression and what are your keys to success for doing well!?

Share away please!

Thanks in advance
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 75-165 / 67.9 / 62-135

Hi there:

watching an episode of a great serie;
go to the movies;
buy yourself fresh flowers;
get a manicure;
get a pedicure;
get a facial;
get a haircut;
buy makeup;
frame a beautiful picture and hang it on your wall;
buy fragrant bath salts;
play with a kid
play with a dog
walk a dog
get a massage;
listen to some uplifting music on Ipod while walking;
read funny blogs;
help someone out;
buy top quality fresh beautiful tasty fruit and...eat it :-)!
shave legs, put on knee lenght skirt and shades and hang out at a terrace in the sun with a coffee
Lumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Height: 5"5

There are quite a few things you can do besides eating. That being said, I am in the same boat as you are and need to get my mind used to not always running towards a snack.

Sometimes I eat too much because I don't drink enough water, so that is definitely something you might be able to try: reach for a glass of water instead and it might also be refreshing.

I got a book from my local library called, "50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food". It has listed different things that might pull you away from eating when you just have cravings. It might be a nice guide.

Also, eating mindfully is something that has helped me from eating too much, if that's also an issue. At a meal, when you eat slower and feel more grateful towards food you have, then you have less of a need for it later on and it prevents you from eating more when you don't eat too fast.

When coping with stress, sometimes going out for a walk while listening to music helps me clear my mind.

Last edited by Alicia546; 04-25-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Positive reinforcement, telling yourself what a great job you just did, can be very powerful. A few other rewards I use for myself include hot baths or showers, taking a walk, calling a friend, buying myself a magazine, renting a movie, making a special dinner, and getting a manicure or pedicure.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #5  
Mii

S/C/G: 230/200/135

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumia View Post
Hi there:

watching an episode of a great serie;
go to the movies;
buy yourself fresh flowers;
get a manicure;
get a pedicure;
get a facial;
get a haircut;
buy makeup;
frame a beautiful picture and hang it on your wall;
buy fragrant bath salts;
play with a kid
play with a dog
walk a dog
get a massage;
listen to some uplifting music on Ipod while walking;
read funny blogs;
help someone out;
buy top quality fresh beautiful tasty fruit and...eat it :-)!
shave legs, put on knee lenght skirt and shades and hang out at a terrace in the sun with a coffee
I will do these! Thanks
Mii is offline   Reply With Quote