Weight Loss Support - This isn't a loaded question, I swear! Yoga pants...

elvislover324
04-23-2013, 01:16 PM
I am not looking for trouble or to start any controversy, please don't turn it into one or I will request the thread to be deleted. It's a no drama zone here!!

I read in some threads about so many wearing yoga pants for quite a few more things than yoga. I am intrigued with the excitement and enjoyment that you all seem to get from them.

I think all of the yoga pants that I have seen (I haven't looked for them specifically yet but it's on my schedule for this week!) all seem like workout pants and/or stretch pants (how 80s is that?). I can't see wearing them to work or to church or even more than working out.

I'm not judging where anyone wears them or how often!!!

I just want to know----do you get bootcut, flared, anything other than what looks to me like sweatpants? What brands do you all love? Are they long enough to wear with either sneakers or flipflops?

As most of you know, I tend to overthink things. ;) But I'm searching for some yoga pants joy!! And since I just checked out a yoga dvd from the library, I want to be dressed for the part! But if I'm investing $$ in pants to do yoga, I want something I can wear other places too.

I'm way too excited about these pants and it's all because of you!!! That's the justification I'm giving my husband too about why none of the 10 pairs of workout pants qualify for yoga pants. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Munchy
04-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Yoga pants ARE workout pants! :) They can be fitted like leggings or more of a wide leg like other sweats. They usually aren't as thick as sweatpants, though.

I love these (http://livefit.bigcartel.com/product/ladies-fitness-yoga-pants-neon-yellow-print)

These are cheaper, though!
Old Navy (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=810759092)

dstalksalot
04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Yoga pants are gear and IMO, should not be worn anywhere but to the gym or maybe to sleep in. Many moms on the go wear these everywhere and to me it just looks sloppy. I think so many people wear them because they have grown out of their other pants. It's like its the last option before moving up in size. Also they are easy.

All that being said, they are super comfy and great for lounge wear. My favorite s are a higher wasted book cut type.

amandie
04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't really like the loose workout pants, I tend to trip over them being a shortie. The ones I had were way too long to wear with sneakers/flipflops let alone try to exercise. Lately, I have been liking the knee length leggings/capri tights for workouts and sometimes out but only if my shirt is long enough to cover most of the butt and front and I have a jacket to go with it too.

I didn't even know they had different styles of yoga pants like bootcut/flared, wow! Sorry I couldn't be much of help!! :/

I chuckled at the last part about your 10 pairs of workout pants not qualifying for yoga pants.

amandie
04-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Yoga pants ARE workout pants! :) They can be fitted like leggings or more of a wide leg like other sweats. They usually aren't as thick as sweatpants, though.

I love these (http://livefit.bigcartel.com/product/ladies-fitness-yoga-pants-neon-yellow-print)

Oh, thanks for the link! I see that they have petite sizes so I will try that and hopefully it won't be too long.

celigirl88
04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I get mine from Victoria Secrets - and they are by far my favorite. I have the cropped ones and the ones long enough to wear with sneakers and they are perfect. I usually don't wear them to any place specific but if it's a crappy day out, I throw them on with a pair of uggs, flops, or sneakers depending on the weather. They don't have that "sweatpant" look since they are more fitting and flattering. Would I wear them to work/church/to dinner? Probably not. But to school, around the house or running errands? Absolutely.

Katie816
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
I have something similar to these (http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//animal-print-yoga-pants/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002300611&searchTerm=yoga&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults) from JcPenney's, and a couple of pairs from Old Navy.

I think every pair I have is flared enough to mostly come over tennis shoes and flip flops but you can get them anyway you want.

Mozzy
04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
I live in yoga pants ever since my first pregnancy. I wear a thick waisted, flare leg style. Always black, no embleshiments. Brand doesn't matter.
I wear them everywhere because I don't go to church, go on dates (I'm married) or have a job (I'm a SAHM). I wear them because they're comfortable and forgiving.

Oh and buy mine at goodwill on half off days

Radiojane
04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a pair from Additionelle (a Canadian chain similiar to lane Bryant). They're a boot cut with a nice high waist. They're not too tight, and with a nice blouse they *almost* look like dress pants. I have zero problem wearing them out in public with a pair of nice flats and a nice top.

CIELOARGE
04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
I wear workout pants everymorning. I don't necessarily go work out every morning, but I wear them anyways.

I ran errands, clean and sometimes workout in them and then, I take a shower and I wear jeans... I am SAHM.

I don't like bending over and cleaning my toilet with good pants on lol, so yoga or workout pants are extremely confi for the day-to-day chores.

I don't think look sloppy, but I wouldn't wear them to a restaurant or get together.

Arctic Mama
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Sorry, I find yoga pants in non-workout or quick-errand situations look a bit sloppy. Even well fitted yoga pants still have a slouchy look to them than knitted trousers don't. As a mom who is t home all day long it can be so easy to fall into the trap of laziness with my appearance, and getting dressed in real clothes every single morning is one of the BIG guards against that. I wear lots of comfortable things, but just picking some twill skirts or a pair of jeans as opposed to something of a stretchier material can do worlds for making me look more put together.

I'd caution against the trap of comfortable yoga pants - one other thing to consider is that if you're in any way using clothing as your litmus for if you have gained weight, those suckers can mask MANY pounds before they fit poorly. Fitted jeans or a dress? Not so much!

dangerouscurvesahead
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
I absolutely love my yoga pants! They arent bulky or binding, they are comfy and fitted and i wear them with sneakers, flip flops, sandals. I wear the bootcut with the mentioned shoes. I wear them to the local stores, library, anywhere around town that diesnt require formal or office attire.

thnknthin1
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
I wear my yoga pants every day....love them! My favorites have been the one's I bought at Target, Champion brand? They are fit thru the hip and thigh area and straight legged. I only wear them with my walking shoes. I walk/run every day so probably the main reason I wear them every day. I don't make it a habit to wear them out in public, only if I'm going to the store after one of my walks on the local trail.

In all honesty, I've received many compliments when I wear them. People notice my weight loss more so because they are form fitting up top and don't hide the bulges I used to own :)

IanG
04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Looks like I'll be getting me some yoga pants folks!

astrophe
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Unless I am at the gym or running errands right before/right after gym where I just leave the workout clothes on... I don't wear yoga pants like casual wear on the street.

I usually go Target/Champion tho.

HTH!

A.

elvislover324
04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Who is better than all of you?? No one!!!

I'll check out the links and read all your comments again this afternoon. I'm standing in the goodwill now reading your replies. I should be in the racks!!! I'll let you know if I find any yoga pants!!

Silverfire
04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Elvis, I love the title of the thread LOL

I was having this conversation with a friend today. I was complaining that I am kinda between sizes right now and my older jeans are getting to be way to big, belt isn't helping much anymore, suffering from saggy butt. My new jeans that are a size smaller are still just a little too tight, they cut around the middle a bit. She suggested I wear stretchy pants. She wears them all day every day. I just can't do it....

Not going to lie, the very first thing I do when I get home is take my pants off and put on my "lounge pants", basically thicker, relaxed fit yoga pants with pockets. I live in them ("yoga shorts" too) around the house! But when it comes time to leave the house (even just to run to the store) On go the jeans. The ones that I wear to the gym, are tighter, cropped with a bit of a slit at the bottom to fit looser around your calf, I got them from addition-elle. I had been wearing my "lounge pants" to the gym but found them to be too warm and loose. More of a PITA than anything! The new ones also have a high waist to keep my belly tucked in. ONCE I did have to go to the store in them though, I was so embarrassed and was in and out as fast as possible. I think it was pretty obvious I had just come from the gym at least ;)

One time, I saw a girl at the gym with some yoga pants, but they had a pin-stripe to them, and were a little looser fitting. They were probably the best looking yoga pants I have ever seen, though I don't think I would wear them out and about.

Good luck on your search for yoga pants joy :D

Missy Krissy
04-23-2013, 02:20 PM
When I'm at home I pretty much live in my yoga pants. I just get mine from Meijer (depending on where you're from you might not have a Meijer, it's a department store like a KMart/Target/Walmart). I like them plain, just black with a slight flare on the end. Cotton blend.

I'm biting my tongue to respect the "no drama" decree! ;)

EagleRiverDee
04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I wear mine everywhere. I have a very casual back office job, in my employer's home (they operate a business out of their home) and my boss wears PJ's to work. Yoga pants are a step up there. But after work I'm often hiking or walking my dog or doing other activities and yoga pants are awesome for that. I wear a looser, straight legged version that I picked up from Lands End. They are insanely comfortable, and I've had people tell me I look great in them too. However, I live in Alaska and we're pretty casual up here to start with. I can see how it could be different elsewhere.

Garnet2727
04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm another person who lives in sweats and yoga pants at home. I also wear yoga pants or sweats when I'm walking in my neighborhood for exercise. I just love them! I don't remember the brand, but mine are high-waisted and skinny legs. They are super comfortable.

amandie
04-23-2013, 02:37 PM

me tooo. :rofl:

fadedbluejeans
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I wear the Champion brand, just got a new pair from Target (on sale!) Saturday. I like to wear them for walking or other exercise (even yoga!) because they are a kind of sweat wicking fabric. I also wear them around the house because they are super comfortable, but I'm too self conscious to wear them out anywhere other than the walking trails.

Katie816
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM

LOL!

On a related note I don't think I've ever seen men's yoga pants, do guys just wear shorts/sweats for yoga?

krampus
04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
http://mahamondo.typepad.com/mahamondo/images/scottpage.jpg

Less is more :P

I don't own full length yoga pants, I can't have loose fabric touching me when I'm exercising. I hate it! At home I have taken to wearing my boyfriend's sweatpants. He is 6'2 and 225 so they're very comfy :P

newleaf123
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
I bought yoga pants at Target - full length leg with a bit of a flare. I only bought them because I was starting yoga class, and that's the only time I wear them. I'm way too self conscious in them otherwise; I feel a bit naked.

newleaf123
04-23-2013, 05:25 PM
LOL!

On a related note I don't think I've ever seen men's yoga pants, do guys just wear shorts/sweats for yoga?

I was at REI today and noticed that they had a Men's Yoga section. I just walked on by, though, since I was pretty confident that my 12- and 14-year-old sons wouldn't want anything from that section LOL

elvislover324
04-23-2013, 05:34 PM
I wanted to write personal messages to all of you but it would take forever!!

Thank you for keeping this a normal, helpful conversation (even though some comments were snuck in there by some....I knew it would happen!). After that thread the other day went so bad, I couldn't handle the stress of yoga pants and drama!!!

Definitely going to check out the ones at Old Navy, thank you!! I think I want petite length even though I'm not that short. I hope the store has both so I can try them!

I have something similar to these (http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//animal-print-yoga-pants/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002300611&searchTerm=yoga&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults) from JcPenney's, and a couple of pairs from Old Navy.

I think every pair I have is flared enough to mostly come over tennis shoes and flip flops but you can get them anyway you want.

I love those!! And I like the fancy waist on them!

I have a pair from Additionelle (a Canadian chain similiar to lane Bryant). They're a boot cut with a nice high waist. They're not too tight, and with a nice blouse they *almost* look like dress pants. I have zero problem wearing them out in public with a pair of nice flats and a nice top.

Awesome, thanks Jane. I'm going to look them up now. I'm getting $10 from Lane Bryant for taking a survey the other day so maybe I'll get a pair there.

Sorry, I find yoga pants in non-workout or quick-errand situations look a bit sloppy. Even well fitted yoga pants still have a slouchy look to them than knitted trousers don't. As a mom who is t home all day long it can be so easy to fall into the trap of laziness with my appearance, and getting dressed in real clothes every single morning is one of the BIG guards against that. I wear lots of comfortable things, but just picking some twill skirts or a pair of jeans as opposed to something of a stretchier material can do worlds for making me look more put together.

I'd caution against the trap of comfortable yoga pants - one other thing to consider is that if you're in any way using clothing as your litmus for if you have gained weight, those suckers can mask MANY pounds before they fit poorly. Fitted jeans or a dress? Not so much!

You are so right, Artic Mama. I wear dresses and skirts at least twice a week and even today running out for an errand, I had on dress pants, heeled boots and a sweater. I definitely don't wear elastic pants all day every day because of both the reasons you say plus I feel better about myself in "real clothes". I just want something I can work out in then run to the bank, the farmstand, whatever. The workout clothes I have been wearing lately aren't presentable enough to run out in now that I lost a few pounds. :) I want even my workout clothes to look fancy!

Your posts really make my whole day sometimes. :)

Elvis, I love the title of the thread LOL

I was having this conversation with a friend today. I was complaining that I am kinda between sizes right now and my older jeans are getting to be way to big, belt isn't helping much anymore, suffering from saggy butt. My new jeans that are a size smaller are still just a little too tight, they cut around the middle a bit. She suggested I wear stretchy pants. She wears them all day every day. I just can't do it....

Not going to lie, the very first thing I do when I get home is take my pants off and put on my "lounge pants", basically thicker, relaxed fit yoga pants with pockets. I live in them ("yoga shorts" too) around the house! But when it comes time to leave the house (even just to run to the store) On go the jeans. The ones that I wear to the gym, are tighter, cropped with a bit of a slit at the bottom to fit looser around your calf, I got them from addition-elle. I had been wearing my "lounge pants" to the gym but found them to be too warm and loose. More of a PITA than anything! The new ones also have a high waist to keep my belly tucked in. ONCE I did have to go to the store in them though, I was so embarrassed and was in and out as fast as possible. I think it was pretty obvious I had just come from the gym at least ;)

One time, I saw a girl at the gym with some yoga pants, but they had a pin-stripe to them, and were a little looser fitting. They were probably the best looking yoga pants I have ever seen, though I don't think I would wear them out and about.

Good luck on your search for yoga pants joy :D

LOL @ loving the title---I didn't want anyone to think I was starting any fires around here!! I'm going to look up the pants you wrote about, I think a high waist might be good for me, esp. if I want to run out in them.

When I'm at home I pretty much live in my yoga pants. I just get mine from Meijer (depending on where you're from you might not have a Meijer, it's a department store like a KMart/Target/Walmart). I like them plain, just black with a slight flare on the end. Cotton blend.

We don't have Meijer around here but we have Target and Walmart so I'll check those out.

Thank you for biting your tongue!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I wear mine everywhere. I have a very casual back office job, in my employer's home (they operate a business out of their home) and my boss wears PJ's to work. Yoga pants are a step up there. But after work I'm often hiking or walking my dog or doing other activities and yoga pants are awesome for that. I wear a looser, straight legged version that I picked up from Lands End. They are insanely comfortable, and I've had people tell me I look great in them too. However, I live in Alaska and we're pretty casual up here to start with. I can see how it could be different elsewhere.

I have Sears near me so I can check out Lands End, thank you! I like the quality of their clothes too. Plus they have a dress I want to try on so I can do both at the same time. I did LOL at you stepping up from your boss in his pajamas. :)

me tooo. :rofl:

I thank you too!!! Yoga pants are drama starters around here!!

I wear the Champion brand, just got a new pair from Target (on sale!) Saturday. I like to wear them for walking or other exercise (even yoga!) because they are a kind of sweat wicking fabric. I also wear them around the house because they are super comfortable, but I'm too self conscious to wear them out anywhere other than the walking trails.

Definitely will check out those too. I got a Champion shirt at the Goodwill today (one of the workout ones that help the sweat disappear---it was $2.50 and seems brand new. Score!!)

http://mahamondo.typepad.com/mahamondo/images/scottpage.jpg

Less is more :P

I don't own full length yoga pants, I can't have loose fabric touching me when I'm exercising. I hate it! At home I have taken to wearing my boyfriend's sweatpants. He is 6'2 and 225 so they're very comfy :P

I have regular workout pants like that (capris but fitted), I could never wear them in public though!! My body is still working itself out from my weightloss over the last 8-9 months and I would not be fashionable in them! The thought of you wearing your boyfriends pants sounds so funny, you are so tiny!!!

Thanks so much everyone, this thread helped me tremendously!! I've never been so excited to get me some fancy yoga pants!!
:carrot::carrot::carrot:

newleaf123
04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
ElvisLover wrote... I had on dress pants, heeled boots and a sweater.

Hey, isn't it Spring yet where you live??? Time to break out the capris and flip flops, girl...

Radiojane
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Heidi, what is this spring that you speak of? There's still SNOW here!

LockItUp
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
* specifically didn't read ANY responses due to last thread but wanted to give you my answer *

I have 2 pairs of black yoga pants. Bought them at Target. One was on clearance. I think full price they were like $17, and the clearance one was $9. They're both full length, flared/bootcut. If I wear them out of the house (which I have, and don't mind doing so at all, but typically don't for no specific reason) I usually wear them with flip flops, but definitely have worn them with tennis shoes. I actually don't like to workout in yoga pants, I find them to be too hot personally (keeping in mind I live in Phoenix).

Typically I do just wear them around the house or to sleep in because they're super comfy! But I have no qualms about wearing them outside of the house, I'm just usually already dressed in other things when it comes time to leave the house.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have a pair of, I guess you'd call them, yoga shorts (got them at Walmart for maybe $7). They have that fold over yoga pant top (hot pink top with black shorts), but are like booty shorts. Those are STRICTLY around the house/to sleep in, WAY too short for me to ever wear in public.

elvislover324
04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
ElvisLover wrote... I had on dress pants, heeled boots and a sweater.

Hey, isn't it Spring yet where you live??? Time to break out the capris and flip flops, girl...

That will be tomorrow, newleaf!! 70 degrees and sunny tomorrow, will be showing off some skin!! Today is freezing (41 degrees right now!) and raining and just yucky!! It's New England spring, what else do I have to say!!

lol Jane, we get all 4 seasons in one week around here!

* specifically didn't read ANY responses due to last thread but wanted to give you my answer *

I have 2 pairs of black yoga pants. Bought them at Target. One was on clearance. I think full price they were like $17, and the clearance one was $9. They're both full length, flared/bootcut. If I wear them out of the house (which I have, and don't mind doing so at all, but typically don't for no specific reason) I usually wear them with flip flops, but definitely have worn them with tennis shoes. I actually don't like to workout in yoga pants, I find them to be too hot personally (keeping in mind I live in Phoenix).

Typically I do just wear them around the house or to sleep in because they're super comfy! But I have no qualms about wearing them outside of the house, I'm just usually already dressed in other things when it comes time to leave the house.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have a pair of, I guess you'd call them, yoga shorts (got them at Walmart for maybe $7). They have that fold over yoga pant top (hot pink top with black shorts), but are like booty shorts. Those are STRICTLY around the house/to sleep in, WAY too short for me to ever wear in public.

You have just what I am looking for I think, well maybe everything but the booty shorts!! I'm not there yet. :)

I have to go find your thrift shop thread, got some good deals today!

Silverfire
04-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Yeah!!! I still have to scrape the frost off my car in the morning. It is NOT spring here yet! lol

Arctic Mama
04-23-2013, 06:13 PM

It's actively snowing here today, soooooo depressing :(

alaskanlaughter
04-23-2013, 06:36 PM

I wear ones exactly like that old navy link except we don't have old navy here....I wear mine everywhere - work, home, around town...they look just fine with my work shirts, hoodies, sneakers, sandals etc...granted, I don't dress "up" for work at all because i'm with kids all day...I actually DONT wear them to work out lol...the material is too thin and I actually have a pair of running capris for my treadmill workouts

on the other hand, in terms of fashion etc, it seems that up here in Alaska, there is no standard of fashion....jeans, boots and sweatshirts are the norm for just about any function that you can think of...and particularly in my rainforest, there's no sense in dressing up when you're just gonna get rained on anyhow :)

kayin
04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Here in Vancouver, BC, Canada yoga pants seem to be all the rage! People wear them everywhere exept in more formal situations. I live downtown, but also near the seawall (our downtown is boundaried by seawalls) so everybody here walks everywhere they need to go as downtown is pretty small land wise so I guess yoga pants are pretty convenient. 4-7pm seems to be "yoga pant time" outdoors.

DianeM2
04-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Personally, I wear leggings for yoga. Short or long. I wear them around the house, too (I'm wearing them right now to try to inspire me to get on the exercise bike). The stretchy exercise kind. Or if it's cold I'll sometimes wear sweat pants. But if buying yoga pants will really inspire you to do it, then more power to you. As to whether you can wear them for other things (presumably to go out), would you consider someone your size to be attractive in yoga pants? It's up to you. At 200, I would probably do it.

IanG
04-23-2013, 10:31 PM
As to whether you can wear them for other things (presumably to go out), would you consider someone your size to be attractive in yoga pants? At 200, I would probably do it.

Thanks. Looks like I'd best hold off for now then!

April Snow
04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
I wear yoga pants a lot of the time. As a (relatively) slim hipped apple/inverted triangle, it's very tough to find pants that fit and flatter below the waist but are still comfortable around my thick middle. Yoga pants are some of the limited number of options that fit the bill and I look a lot better in those than in more tailored pants that fit around the middle but look like clown pants everywhere else. And skirts that are far too wide below the waist are also extremely unflattering, so that's not the solution even if I wanted to wear a skirt/dress all the time, which I don't.

as someone else mentioned, I wear them with nice shirts/sweaters and nice shoes or booties (I save skinny jeans and leggings to wear with my knee high boots), and IMO look fine. I just got a promotion at work, so I'm guessing they think I look fine too!

stella1609
04-23-2013, 11:01 PM
I wear yoga pants all the time to the grocery store, the doctor's office, etc. I probably wouldn't wear them to the mall. I wear them because they are comfortable and I look good in them, and I can get up in the morning and put on one outfit and have it work for my errands, lounging, and working out without dirtying multiple sets of clothes. I certainly don't wear them because I don't fit in my jeans...

Mine are from Victoria's Secret (leggings) and Old Navy (boot leg). They are also fully opaque and tight but not tight enough to show any private areas.

Curvycurly
04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I love my yoga pants!! They are pretty simple tighter fitting slight flare at the bottom. They are converse brand I found at Ross for like 10$. I have no problem wearing them around to the grocery store, gas stations, drug store. Just errand type places, but I'd never wear them out to more formal things like dinner/work/mall. My boyfriend sure does love when I wear my yoga pants. :D

Oh and it was 84 today where I live :flow1:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/lababi/yoga_pants.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/lababi/media/yoga_pants.jpg.html)

Arctic Mama
04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I wear ones exactly like that old navy link except we don't have old navy here....I wear mine everywhere - work, home, around town...they look just fine with my work shirts, hoodies, sneakers, sandals etc...granted, I don't dress "up" for work at all because i'm with kids all day...I actually DONT wear them to work out lol...the material is too thin and I actually have a pair of running capris for my treadmill workouts

on the other hand, in terms of fashion etc, it seems that up here in Alaska, there is no standard of fashion....jeans, boots and sweatshirts are the norm for just about any function that you can think of...and particularly in my rainforest, there's no sense in dressing up when you're just gonna get rained on anyhow :)

I was going to say that Juneau is pretty peculiar that way. Our church regularly had at least half the female congregation wearing extratufs with their skirts, and carhartts were considered dressy. I don't think I batted a lash at pajama pants or yoga pants parading through Freddy's either, but it's a bit of a 'when in Rome' situation there. Even here in Eagle River I don't dress nearly as casually as I did in Auke Bay :carrot:

NorthernChick13
04-23-2013, 11:07 PM
ahahahaa elvislover, thank you for your declaration on no drama. I am one of those people who ONLY wears yoga pants because how hot they make my a$$ look! I NEVER work out in pants, so my yoga pants are purely for vanity's sake. I love them flared, with any shoe, including flip flops and berks.

ahaha I don't even OWN a yoga DVD! :P

Keep Moving Forward
04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
If I could, I'd wear my yoga pants all day every day. They're unbelievably comfortable, & cute too. I got mine from Lane Bryant, they're stretchy but not skintight, high-waisted & they flare out at the bottom. I haven't tried yoga yet, but I wear them around the house, to work out in, to walk my dogs, to grocery shop. I doubt I'd wear them in public other than to the grocery store, gas station, maaaaybe the movies (that actually sounds amazing & worth trying). I wish I had bought another pair while my LB outlet was still having a 40% off sale.

@NorthernChick13- Lol, I love the way my butt looks in yoga pants too. I have a decent booty now, thanks to my kettlebell workouts, & I love the way it looks in my yoga pants!

SuperHeroTeacher
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Love yoga pants for working out. I'm not comfortable wearing them anywhere other than the gym. Mine are cheap Champion brand from Target.

I have nothing against others wearing them in public, provided they fit appropriately and cover things areas that need to be covered. We just added yoga pants to the dress code violation list at school because unfortunately some middle school girls aren't very good at making sure fit is appropriate... Some yoga pants can be pretty revealing when stretched to the limit... I've seen more crack through see-through spandex than a human should have to endure. :nono:

mariposssa
04-24-2013, 03:51 AM
One day in the clearance section of Walmart, I hit the yoga pants jackpot. LOL. They had these matching jacket and yoga pants outfits in every color imaginable they were $2.50 each (separates, so each jacket/pant set was $5.) I bought every color in my size at that time. I have aqua, coral, navy, gray, black, royal blue, and fuschia. The jackets ran a little on the small side and still fit perfectly. The pants are loose but still work, however they get longer as I get skinnier. The length was fine before I lost 40+ pounds.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Work-Out-Wear-Danskin-Now-Plus-Size-Mix-n-Match-Jersey-Hoodie-and-Capri-Pants-Value-Bundle/21296230

This is the aqua set I have except mine are long pants, not capris. I am a SAHM and I wear them out to walk--especially the brighter colors because we have to walk on the road. (There is no sidewalk on rural, country roads.) I wear them to drop off/pick up kids at school and occasionally to the gas station or dollar store by their school. If I go grocery shopping I usually wear jeans, though. If I were going to some meeting, function or game at the kid's school I wouldn't wear them. I don't wear them out to dinner, to church, to movies or parties. But, around here lots of people do wear them to all those places.

ETA: These hold up really well to lots of walking. I had a couple of those velour type matching sets before these and they would wear out from rubbing together. This material doesn't pill, rub, or wear out even though I have walked a lot of miles over several seasons in them.

Amarantha2
04-24-2013, 04:53 AM
I wear yoga type workout shorts around the community a lot. I don't like full length pants of any type.

I don't honestly base what I wear on what anyone else does or really have an opinion on where yoga pants should be worn.

Leaves
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
I was so confused with all the discussion over yoga pants. Being in the UK, I was presuming everybody was talking about the leggings that have recently become fashionable and was thinking 'but you can see your undies through them! :('. Never a good look.

Now I know what you are all talking about! I like the bootcut styles as I feel they even me out a bit and look better with trainers and socks. And now I've lost a bit of weight, I like the clingy, stretchy fabric as I think it shows off my shrinking tummy a bit more :)

I love the zebra print ones that were posted a while back! :)

Wannabeskinny
04-24-2013, 09:47 AM
I love all my yoga/lounge pants. I wear them in the house all day long. I've made the mistake of cleaning in them before and have unfortunately ruined a few pairs by getting bleach stains on them, so now I don't wear my "cute" yoga pants for cleaning anymore.

I wear the high-waisted with control tummy yoga pants with a bit of flare on the bottom when I go out for my walks with the stroller. After my walk I take the babe to the playground and then stop off at the supermarket to buy fresh produce, this is a daily routine. I guess I wear them a lot in public considering I wear them to the playground, the grocery store, and even the bank if I have to stop there, but it's always after exercise, I wouldn't wear them out simply to run errands.

I don't mind others wearing yoga pants out, however I draw the line at pajama pants :)

bargoo
04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I have two pair that I got at Goodwill. One pair is Prospirit Brand, I don't know the other brand. They fit well, are comfortable and not baggy at all. I will wear them to the grocery store and running errands.

SunnySide99
04-24-2013, 10:11 AM
I love yoga pants! I prefer the waist and thigh area to be fitted and the legs to be boot cut. I also like a wide color band at the waist to match my sneakers and top. I like to look cute when I work out even when I'm at home. :) My favorite pairs come from Reebok. They have a "play dry" feature I really like which basically sucks the sweat off your body and the material is comfortable and breathable.

I'd love to be able to wear yoga pants out and about once in a while. I'm bootylicious back there so the one time I did received a lot of unwanted attention so my yoga pants are just worn around the house or for working out!

Munchy
04-24-2013, 10:30 AM

I just googled pin striped yoga pants and I have a new obsession here:
Link (http://www.nuttiyogini.com/view_item.asp?id=599)

However, I will NOT be spending $119 on pants for working out, hahaha!

L J
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I love my yoga pants. My favorite pairs are Athleta and Powerforce, both via the thrift store. I rarely wear them out of the house, though. I prefer cropped sweats with elastic cuff bottoms for the gym, because they have a drawstring and don't slide down.
My oldest child is in sports, so I will wear yoga pants to ball practice and games. I often jump in and help with practice, so that makes it feel acceptable to wear them to the ball park. If I go to the grocery store or meet a friend for coffee late at night, I will occasionally wear yoga pants, because it feels more acceptable after 10pm. Lol.

Silverfire
04-24-2013, 11:01 AM
I just googled pin striped yoga pants and I have a new obsession here:
Link (http://www.nuttiyogini.com/view_item.asp?id=599)

However, I will NOT be spending $119 on pants for working out, hahaha!

Wow! yeah I would have some of those (if I ever get to that size ;)), but not for 119! It is a tad much for some stretchy pants! lol

Munchy
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Wow! yeah I would have some of those (if I ever get to that size ;)), but not for 119! It is a tad much for some stretchy pants! lol

I wonder if the ones you did see (since they were looser) were the lululemon pinstriped pants. I can only find them on ebay, and they're sold anyway.

LINK (http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-LULULEMON-ATHLETICA-Black-PINSTRIPE-Luon-Fitness-YOGA-PANTS-size-8-/281088597027?pt=US_Womens_Athleticwear&hash=item41722f9c23)

Silverfire
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah I saw the lululemon ones on ebay (and kijiji) I think those are closer to the ones I saw. I really like the pinstriping tho, classes em up a bit lol!

gailr42
04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
After reading this thread, I spent an hour or so inspecting workout clothing at Wal-Mart. I thought of Ian when I held up a pair of long pants. They are women's sizes, but the waist hit me about at the armpits. So, Ian if you really want yoga pants, you know where to go. LOL.

I think I would like the fitted capri style because I really hate boot cut or flare pants on me. I think they make me look even shorter. Also, the flare was in style in the 70's and they seem really old fashioned to me now - just like shag carpet, which is also making a reappearance.

Can we drum up any drama over shag carpet?

I am quite sure people around here feel free to wear yoga pants or anything else. We are very informal. I would wear them anywhere.

Radiojane
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Can we drum up any drama over shag carpet?

:D:D:D

BreathingSpace
04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't honestly base what I wear on what anyone else does or really have an opinion on where yoga pants should be worn.

I feel the same. I couldn't care less what other people wear.

I'm wearing yoga pants right now and on my way to work. But that's because my last pair of pants ripped this morning! Otherwise I don't usually wear them to work but it's not a big deal.

The store that defines my city (Vancouver) is Lululemon so I'm pretty comfortable wearing yoga pants out as everyone does. No biggie.

elvislover324
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM

I feel the same. I couldn't care less what other people wear.

A lot of people do, esp. in this forum and I wasn't in the mood for it, it had nothing to do with what I was asking for help with! There are some clever snide comments here and there on this thread but I'm choosing to ignore them. Apparently people think they can say whatever they want so they do, must be wonderful to be so important to ignore someone's request to remain civil! Let them make their own thread to bit** and moan. :D

I sincerely appreciate the comments and links and helpful hints that you all provided. I have no intentions of wearing yoga pants as dress clothes but I never go out dressed sloppy for working out or otherwise. The links and stores/brands recommended make me confident I'm going to be one good looking 3FC chick like the rest of you!! Thank you again.

Arctic Mama
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't think most of us care what other people wear, myself included. My comment, for example was entirely self aimed.