Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Apr 22 - Apr 28

04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
Good grief. Since I spent last Friday in "Secure in Place" I've lost a day. I've been off a day ever since, and I even forgot to start the thread this morning.

Most discussions around here revolve the bombings and subsequent shoot out and arrest. We're fixated. I'm trying not to use it as an excuse to do a little emotional eating. I have used it as an excuse to get way behind on exercise. New week. I start afresh.

04-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Bill, I'd guess that's going to be the "lost day" for quite a while. I've set my reminder already for the 2:50 minute of silence today. And you're right, a fresh week has all sorts of possibilities.

I've been lurking again. :dizzy: Going to fix that - I have agreed to cut my alcohol calories to zero for the next 34 days (until our Indy 500 BBQ). I have a galpal who's also signed up for the 10-mile run in August, and with whom I tend to imbibe way too much; we've decided to be good influences on each other for a change of pace. :D

04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Becky, I too, must cut the alcohol calories. I've entered an 11 week challenge to get back to my red line. I figure if I can forego alcohol during the week, I cam easily tackle this weight loss.

But having a broken dishwasher has hampered my work. Saturday was my in-laws 51st anniversary, so we took them out for happy hour (drinks and lots of sushi). Yesterday we went out for Italian because I didn't want to do dishes after dinner as I've had to do for the past week. Still not sure when to expect the repairman (they said today or tomorrow) and I'm betting it's the door motor and they will have to order it, thus throwing another week (or two) of no dishwasher in my face. Ugh.

04-22-2013, 10:45 AM
allison, having no dishwasher would cause me to go off the rails too! Lots of one-pot meals, eaten on paper plates, probably. Or "Ethiopian style" with the communal dish. :D

traveling michele
04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Allison-- paper plates and plastic cutlery..... my advice....

Bill-- good luck with getting back on track with all of the distractions.

I didn't know there was a moment of silence today. I'm assuming I need to adjust that for my time difference?

Shannon and Jen-- I joined fitocracy (and followed you). I'm tracking my workouts. I don't know what else to do here.... what do you do/ use it for? What do I do with my followers? Is there a news feed like facebook where I can see what my followers are doing?

04-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I didn't know about the moment of silence, either and I thought I was keeping up on the knes. I think I will google it and see if I can get more info.

04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
This was ordered by Mass Governor. 2:50 PM Eastern Time. 11:50 AM for us West Coasters.
I just learned yesterday that my DIL's cousin was a runner , from Sacramento. Praise God she is OK. But so many were not as fortunate.

Shannon in ATL
04-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Michele - there is a feed, yes. I haven't been there in a while, but it runs a lot like FB. You can watch the people and groups you follow, make comments, etc.

Shannon in ATL
04-22-2013, 05:22 PM

My new garden. There is a fourth bed to the left with seeds sprouting. These pictured were all planted with grown plants, my sprouts didn't make it.

04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Michele - there is a feed, yes. I haven't been there in a while, but it runs a lot like FB. You can watch the people and groups you follow, make comments, etc.

This ^

Also go to groups and find groups that you are interested in. I find it kind of fun - I'm on some groups like "Healthy Eating", "Runners", "Dog Lovers" - from the main page click "Feed" and you can filter by everyone or your groups or your followers.

04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm jealous, Shannon!

I feel bad for my DD. She had a ticket to fly to South Carolina (or is it North?) for her boyfriend's graduation from army bootcamp. She arranged for a friend to drive her to LAX. She gets there, goes in to check in and realizes she forgot her wallet. Her friend turned around and came back for her and drover her home (about 45 minute drive) and she arranged via her phone for a later flight. She feels so bad she wasted her friend's time and has to wait until very late tonight for another flight. (But then again, I doubt I've ever forgotten my wallet anywhere.) I still feel bad for her. At least she planned to get there a day early so she won't miss anything (Family day and the graduation).

04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
That's odd - the posts are bigger than my screen (I'm on hubby's laptop @ the dogsit). No idea how to fix that. But I did get the phones back - they went down last night for no apparent reason and came back this afternoon the same way. Aliens! It's aliens!

I woke up to 2 piles of dog poop on the shag carpeting in the TV room this morning. No stomach upset and the dogs went out @ 10 p.m. last night - no yard front or back so I have to leash them and walk them 4 times per day.

Cleaned it up and one of the little charmers did another while I was in the shower (after taking them out). 8 more days of this. Never again for this home.

Dagmar :tired:

04-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Shannon, your garden looks great.

04-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi - I am lurking, too. This is not a good sign.

I am jealous of the garden, too, Shannon. Our yard gets no sun. I can grow tiny tomatoes on the deck but that's about it.

Dagmar, ugh. 8 more days of dog poop would send me around the bend.

04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi all!

We're a bit quiet so far this week!

Well, last week was a great week - I was feeling so good and so optimistic.

Last night DH and I got in a HUGE fight. We never - and I mean never - fight, so I was really upset. We didn't speak to each other the rest of the night and didn't say one word to one another this morning.

So, I'm feeling terrible today. This in turn, for some stupid reason - is making me feel fat. Even though there is absolutely no connection and my weight was in line this morning. WTF?

I did go down to our jail today to do some work and was introduced to a new nurse there. The other nurse was telling the new nurse about my "remarkable" weight loss and the circumferential body lift that I had. The new nurse said to me "So, what do you weigh now? 98 or 100?" You would think that would have made me feel good, right? Nope. Instead it made me feel bad.

I guess I'm just all up in my head today!


04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
shannon, you make me want to call in sick and spend the day getting dirty! We're weeks from being frost-safe yet, but I want to PLANT!!!! I bought a big, beautiful 3-tiered basket system, and I"m really looking forward to filling it up. Just have to figure out ... with what? :dizzy:

allison, there is nothing that makes me feel worse than feeling like I wasted somebody's time because of my own goofup - I can empathize with DD! Still, good on her for planning the extra day; it's great she won't miss the big events.

dagmar, yikes. 4 times a day? Good grief. Doggie diapers?

Jen, shake it off, girl! Sunshine makes all things better! :hug: Sorry you had a fight with DH. :( You can get back to that great spot of last week.

DS and I ran the 2.6 miles again last night. It went much better than the first time - no wind, and I had my new Nano. I'm going to take the positive side: I have SO much room for improvement! :lol3:

traveling michele
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Oh so sorry Jen. Dh and I rarely fight so I know how terrible you must feel. Hope you have made up.....

I went to the endocrinologist today. He had checked my thyroid levels and hormone levels. He is changing my thyroid meds a bit and wants me to try testosterone cream (my levels were low which is a symptom of perimenopause but can cause other issues like body fat). As a result of my appointment, I was very late to work and I'm all out of kilter.....

04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Another bleary, gray, cold, rainy day - just plain yuck! I know all this rain is being put to good use, but I'll still be grateful for some sun on Friday. At least the forecast shows a good weekend coming up. My plans include attacking a very neglected flower bed, doing some more running, the long-awaited and postponed massage, and watching DS perform in the annual church musical. Yes ... I am droning through Wed-Fri, and focusing forward!

04-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Maintainers all seem a bit down this week.

It's a BEAUTIFUL day but I feel super blue and can't identify why. I have been at a deficit, perhaps being back in diet mode is destroying my moods? Going for a run at lunch with BF, hoping that will "fix" me or at least get me feeling a bit happier until the endorphins wear off.

Jen I'm sorry you had a fight with DH - hope you will be able to make up tonight and it's not something very serious.

04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Unlike Bill, I am insecure and out of place. I didn't check my weight this morning but I'm watching my food intake carefully. I'm in Pennsylvania overnight at a very nice hotel with what I suspect is a really great gym.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a tiger maple bookcase, which looks to have been bench-made by a craftsman cabinetmaker. It's not old, but appears to be mostly hand-done. I'll confirm this when I look at it in person, rather than in online photos. I need a bookcase. I have no place to keep surviving books that were stored at my mother's house. My former bookcases collapsed after the flood. Books absorb water and expand, and their redoubled weight was enough to crack the each bookshelf in the center.

Why does spring keep procrastinating on the job?

04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi all, For some reason I feel back on track again. All winter I was battling sugar cravings big time, got pretty bummed about it. But when all was said and done, for all the struggling, I kept off 20 pounds of the 30 pounds I lost last year. I kept trying and failing to lose those ten pounds I gained, but somehow now I can feel the track is back. Why? Maybe the extra daylight (certainly not the weather!!!), but it feels like a shift has occurred where I'm not battling and battling and often losing the battle every hour. The cravings are less intense for the first time since last November it seems. And I can say, not bad, considering that in the past I would often gain ALL my weight back in the winter that I lost that summer.

For all of us having rough patches now, believe me I've been there! We all have to struggle and I'm grateful for the support we all give each other. It's a big factor in my relative success.

traveling michele
04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Glad you got your mojo back Chris.

I'm in a weird funk. I thought I'd be able to take off my extra weight from my cruise while dh was gone. I'm eating well (too much maybe?) and working out. The weight isn't going anywhere. I'm mad and depressed in the mornings, but when I go to Bikram Yoga I feel empowered, strong, and proud that I'm able to do well-- I drip sweat-- I see muscles..... Therefore, I keep going back. I feel like I should change up my exercise but I like bikram and I don't know that other workouts will give me near the calorie burn. I *might* switch it up today-- we'll see.

In the meantime, I've already been on Amazon and bought the deal of the day--- Saucony running shoes-- and I bought a necklace from living social. I should probably get off the computer and get to work before I go broke!

I keep meaning to ask though. Anyone else on Instagram? I originally got on to share animal photos and started following other people with animals. Lately, though, I'm following a lot of fitness/motivational people. I really like to see the fit bodies, hear about people's workouts, see their healthy meals. Anyone else on there too?

Shannon in ATL
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Michele - those are the running shoes I'm currently wearing. I will tell you that they are light, not exactly a minimalist shoe but awfully close. I'm not sure if I can keep wearing them, I might need to go back to something with more padding. LOL

04-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Michele~I had an instagram account, but closed it because I didn't really "understand" how to use it to follow things. I guess it's kind of like Twitter? I don't understand Twitter, either! And here I thought I was technologically savvy!

traveling michele
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Michele~I had an instagram account, but closed it because I didn't really "understand" how to use it to follow things. I guess it's kind of like Twitter? I don't understand Twitter, either! And here I thought I was technologically savvy!

I don't do twitter so I can't comment on that. I "follow" friends and see their photos. You can search for other followers that have similar interests as you which is how I found all of the fitness/ motivational people to follow. I like to look at it in the morning-- people post photos of their workouts, their success stories, etc. I find it motivational. Maybe others wouldn't.

04-25-2013, 08:32 PM
I have to admit this somewhere but I'm really slacking these past few weeks. I was at the gym 5-7 days a week, now it seems like I am hardly there. I have been totally consumed with a career change and worried sick about financial uncertainty.

Jolted nerves combined with a crappy spring (gloom/cold and rain) is killing my motivation. I just want to sleep all the time. I haven't gained any weight though thanks to stress. :/

I will try to get back into routine ASAP. Maybe set my mind that as of May 1st I have to be back at it full swing. I don't want to lose my jogging stamina.

04-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm behind on the chat thread but wanted to let you all know what's going on. My water broke unexpectedly yesterday morning at 30 weeks 5 days, and now I'm going to be in the hospital until delivery, which could be as soon as tomorrow or as late as several weeks from now. The last 36 hours or so were kind of crazy with lots of unpleasant medications (to help mature babies), but things are stable now and I'm doing well. The plan is to keep an eye on things and wait, basically, If there's any sign of infection they'll deliver, and if I go into labor they will deliver, but if everything stays the same I'm basically on bed rest in the hospital for the foreseeable future.

This is a really good hospital with a level 3 NICU, so I'm trying to focus on the fact that my babies will have the best of care even if they come this early. Things look pretty stable at the moment, so I'm optimistic that we might make it a little longer, but then again everything seemed pretty stable at home until my water suddenly broke, so I guess pregnancy is just unpredictable. Tomorrow will make 31 weeks, and if we make it to 31, then we'll shoot for 32, then 33, etc. One day at a time!

DH has been really great and is staying with me at the hospital, and my mom is in town and will stay at our house and take care of Carter. Poor Carter was alone for one night last night and we forgot to turn off the alarm clocks, so he basically flipped out and shredded every piece of paper/tissue/etc he could find. Apparently he also relocated a bunch of stuffed animals from our bedroom downstairs, but didn't shred them. :shrug:

04-25-2013, 11:03 PM
I'm proud to say that I've exercised 3 times this week even though I was having trouble putting weight on my bad leg, which I seem to have worked through by standing on one foot whenever possible and making those muscles work. I need to get back to doing my PT exercises and my pilates. But I've been overeating so I feel I need to do cardio with my limited exercise time. Hmm, wonder how I could change that...;)

I've decided to take off a day or two a week from visiting my dad. It's a half hour drive so each visit takes 2-3 hours. It's a lot. He got moved to a sub-acute rehab facility that had a very bad reputation but it's under new management and is not as awful as we anticipated. It's old and run-down but it's being renovated and the staff is very friendly. Dad likes it there, even though he's not sure where he is a lot of the time. He has made some improvement but I doubt he'll ever be who he was.

We're finally getting some sunny, warm-ish weather here so I'm going to try to go for a walk this weekend. I need to mulch my garden, too, but the task seems too daunting this year.

Have a great weekend, all!

04-26-2013, 06:02 AM
Good luck Jessica (paperclippy) maintaining your equanimity with this new turn of events. Hopefully the twins are just bored and want to come out to play.

04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Jessica, praying that all will go well and that those two babies will hang on and be delivered safely and at a healthy weight. You are doing every thing you can.

04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Jessica, that's gotta be scary as heck, but it doesn't sound like there could be any better spot to be while you wait this out! I'll be thinking good wishes and hoping you get a lot of sleep and boredom in the bank while you have the chance!

steph, your situation is a tough one. :hug: I would offer up that mulching the garden (or at least the critical spots of it that sound manageable) might give you a dose of hope/renewal - while things are difficult right now, there will be a point where you're able to stop and breathe, and nurturing the life in your garden could give you a focus point on the future.

novangel, welcome to the maintenance chat! I really enjoy your posts on the support threads. Agreed, it has been a stupidly long winter. I've been through the career change wringer, so I can appreciate how it eats your life and makes everything else a lower priority. However ... when so many things are out of your control, your routine is a lifebuoy. Grab back on to it! ;)

I am a long way from being a serious runner, but Saucony is the only shoe made (that I know of) that has a heel narrow enough, and a toe box wide enough, to accomodate my weird feet. I think I've gone through about eight pairs - though only a couple due to running!

krampus, I hope the run turned your mood around. I've never been sorry that I went for a run - only sorry that I don't do more of it. :D

saef, I love tiger maple! Is it a natural finish that lets that glorious grain show?

chris, I dislodged myself from my groove and am dodging the carb demons (my vision of them is that they are crispy and salt-encrusted, or hoppy with great legs) that are trying to keep me from getting back into it. Cheers, with a toast of sparkling water with lemon, to taking back the groove!

I woke up feeling "moose-y" today. It's casual Friday so I am indulging my desire to schlumph in relaxed-fit jeans and a relaxed-fit tunic, as I don't have to meet with anybody and likely won't move too far from my desk. DS has already declared that tonight is a run night, bless his heart.

04-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Jessica - The exact same thing happened to me at 24 weeks and I lasted until 25 until an infection forced labor. Let me tell you every single extra week that you can stand lying there will do worlds of good for your baby. Don't be afraid, technology is so advanced at this point that the outcome for early births have been really amazing.

04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Jessica~so sorry for the unexpected turn of events for your pregnancy. But the medications they give you to mature the babies do work. I have a friend who was in the hospital on bed rest with her triplets and got that stuff. I think she was there 3 weeks before she suddenly started bleeding and they did an emergency c-section. All the babies were fine and didn't need to stay in the NICU for very long. Had it been different--if she had been home and not getting those medications and had started bleeding and needed the c-section--the babies would have been worse off. Take care! We'll all be sending good mojo your way!

novangel~sorry for all your job stress! I hope you get the chance to get back to the gym. Beating yourself up mentally and wanting to sleep all the time will be wiped out by a good gym session.

DH and I are golfing in a charity tournament today. Challenge will be all the food. Ruth's Chris Steak House is catering lunch (hoping for salad but imagining big sandwiches). Buffalo Wild Wings is just one of the restaurants offering goodies on the course. A local restaurant is catering dinner (usually a big buffet). Sure I'll get some exercise (not as much as my usual game where we walk the course). I did use my Endomondo app on my phone the other day to see how far I walk when we walk our short course. 2.7 miles if I remember correctly. That's not too bad, but today we'll be riding in a golf cart and doing less walking (which will be fine as the temperature should hit 95).

traveling michele
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Jessica-- I will be thinking of you and praying for you and those girls-- hang in there!!

My water started leaking at 24 weeks. I was put in the hospital and told I would be there until delivery. After a few days, I was stable though still leaking. I begged to be allowed to go home and I did and stayed on complete bedrest until I delivered at 38 weeks. Because my water hadn't totally broke (I still had enough fluid), my situation was very different but very stressful. We were so afraid dd would be born at 24 weeks. Your girls will do fine even if they are born soon. You've done a great job taking care of them. Your hubby can take care of you and Carter. Have hubby bring you some foods you want/crave and just try to enjoy your time off. When I was on bedrest it was before the internet-- we didn't have cable TV even-- I was bored silly!!

Shannon in ATL
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Jessica - thinking about you and the girls. I was born at right around 31 weeks, and that was 40 years ago when we weren't as advanced. I'm just fine. They can do great things with early babies now. I have faith.

04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and especially the success stories of early births. :grouphug: We've made it through the first 48 hours, so the steroids and the IV meds they gave me have had time to work their magic. I had my last IV antibiotics a few hours ago and am now just on oral antibiotics. Also, we didn't lose all of baby A's fluid, just some of it, so while it is still kind of in a slow leak she seems to be doing fine when they monitor her. Baby B still has fully intact membranes. In any case today makes 31 weeks, so now we'll count down the days to 32 when a lot of the risks go way down.

The nurses tell me that there's another woman pregnant with twins in here who has been in the hospital for six weeks! It's kind of twins day today since they also had two additional sets born, one in the room next to me.

04-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Jessica, I didn't see your earlier post until just now. Good luck! I'm glad you're in such a great facility. Tell those girls it's not warm enough to come out yet.

04-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Jessica, forgive me, but this is like watching a batch of something sitting on an oven rack, which means I am hoping those twins come out nicely baked.

Are you actually posting from a hospital bed, or are you at home in bed, with your bags packed on standby for a hospital trip? How are you feeling, I mean physically -- your state of mind is pretty clear -- with all those steroids going into you? Are they the kind that would, as a side effect, enable you to lift a truck if Carter or your husband were threatened in any way?

I can't believe how appropriate it is that you're giving birth in this season. You're like one of those beautiful old magnolia trees that I drove past in Bucks County, PA, in the yards of the old fieldstone farmhouses. Each tree gave me a moment of happiness, to see it blossoming so richly, when the air is so chilly & the breeze is still capable of cutting a little. Same with you -- it's an early flowering for you, a bit ahead of the season.

I am wishing the best outcome for you.

Can't help thinking of Carter running around the house, relocating toys. To allay his own fears, maybe? Dagmar would have more inside into expressions of canine anxiety and self-comfort.

04-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Thinking of you Jessica and wishing you two healthy babies!!

04-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Saef, I am posting from a hospital bed. DH brought me my laptop and the hospital has free internet. I don't think I'll be lifting any trucks any time soon, but I do believe they were corticosteroids so they are at least related to those kind. :) I don't know that I've felt any physical effects from the steroid shots. The magnesium sulfate they had me on for 24 hours was awful though, by the end of it I could barely move my arms and I couldn't eat because chewing was too difficult. I'm so glad that's over with now!

Right now the main problem is just trying to get comfortable. I'm having trouble breathing just because the babies are getting big enough to get in the way of my diaphragm and lungs, so if I lay back then I can't breathe, but if I sit up then my butt and hips and back start to hurt. I don't know that that has anything to do with being in the hospital or it would have happened anyway. It's hard to imagine that there's room for the babies to get much bigger but theoretically they should be capable of doubling in size from where they are now, though I doubt we'll get that far.

04-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Jessica, so happy that you are keeping all us aunties and uncles posted, sorry for your discomfort and hoping the time will go fast and we will soon hear that two beautiful and healthy babies are here.

04-27-2013, 07:54 PM
...theoretically they should be capable of doubling in size from where they are now

Yikes. Try to get comfortable!

I feel like all I do here is whine so I just stopped by to say I had a great day today. I bought 7 bags of mulch (half of what I need) and managed to get them through my house and into the yard (I live in a row house so that's the only way) without pulling a muscle. I'll get the rest tomorrow and maybe spread it next weekend.

And then I visited my dad, who is showing some real improvement physically. He can maneuver around in his wheelchair pretty well and used the bathroom unassisted this morning (against the rules!). He still has a lot of mental confusion but he's getting better.

After that, I went for a walk with a friend and managed 3 miles before my leg started to bother me. It was a beautiful day and it was great to be outside. And then on the way home I stopped at a new pizza place nearby to try it out - YUM. It's an old railroad car (used to be a diner) so it's very small and quaint, and I really enjoyed my slice and the atmosphere. I topped it off with a lemon-glazed sugar cookie that just might be the best cookie I've ever had.

And now I'm working on a new beading project, so all in all it's been the best day I've had in a long time. I hope everyone else is having a great weekend!

Shannon in ATL
04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Steph - I'm so glad you had a good day yesterday, you need it. :) glad your dad is doing well, also.

Jessica - i bet that would be happening wherever you were, but maybe at the hospital they can help you with positions to alleviate some of it. I'm glad you and the babies are doing well and hanging in there.

I'm feeling particularly whiney and irritable today, so instead of talking about it and fussing I'm going to talk about furniture instead. Both of my father's parents have passed away - my grandmother in 2001 and my grandfather in 2005. Grandaddy remarried. A few years ago she decided to sell the house that they had bought and gave me some of my Grandmother's furniture - a blue chair, side table and lamp. They were my Meemw's reading furniture that she kept in her fancy sitting room. I sit and read in it a lot. Now my aunt is selling her office condo and fully retiring, and that was where my Meemaw's cedar chest was kept. My aunt doesn't have room for it anymore so I got it. It needs some restoration work and a little love to clean it up. It makes me happy to have it. I learned that it was how my grandparents met. Grandaddy was working on at a furniture store when he came home from the war and doll my grandmother that chest. It was love at first sight. The chest lived most of its early life in my dad's bedroom - they lived in a small house and dad was the only one with room space for it. His two sisters shared a room. Dad says most of the scratches on top are from him - he used it as a platform to build radios and circuit boards on, used it as a racetrack for cars, used it as an occasional step to get out the window as a teen sneaking out... The lock is broken because he picked it so many times that it got damaged and they had to take the latch mechanism off. I'm tempted to leave it as is and just clean it some - the scratches all have memories attached. It makes me happy. :)

Shannon in ATL
04-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a ficus tree with white lights on it to the left of the table now, so I have a little reading nook going on. Made my own fancy spot out of it. :)
Every time I've walked past the chest for the last two weeks I've teared up. I figure that will happen for a little while.

04-28-2013, 09:08 PM
That cedar chest looks a lot like the one my Mom had and gave to me. I did try to restore it and failed miserably. I ended up "selling" it for like $50 to someone who only wanted to for sweater storage. I do remember playing in and around it as a child and loving "exploring" the interior. I don't remember much more than my Mom's wedding dress which she got rid of long before she gave me the chest.

04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
And then on the way home I stopped at a new pizza place nearby to try it out - YUM. It's an old railroad car (used to be a diner) so it's very small and quaint, and I really enjoyed my slice and the atmosphere. I topped it off with a lemon-glazed sugar cookie that just might be the best cookie I've ever had.

Sciortino's? I gotta try it! :D

I'm glad you had a great day. It's been quite a long time coming for you.

04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Shannon, there's a name for this style of vintage furniture, and it's called "waterfall." I'm not sure how or where the term originated, but probably it's because the thin sheets of veneered wood have a strongly linear grain pattern, and they are usually glued into cross-hatch or geometric shapes. It's associated with the Depression period in the 1930s, when Modernism first arrived in mass-produced American furniture available to the average person through department stores and furniture stores, but I believe it was also sold throughout the 1950s. Sometimes this kind of chest was part of a bedroom set and would typically sit at the foot of the bed. The part of the bedroom set that people like to buy is the dressing table, which often has a huge circular mirror, or triple mirrors.

Here's an ad selling a bedroom set:

This can be an expensive restoration job because it usually involves replacing veneer.

The words "replacing veneer" make me very, very unhappy. My 1840s sleigh bed, ruined in the flood, had gorgeous book-matched crotch mahogany veneer. The restorer took the bed away to work on in August 2011. It's now almost May 2013 and he's still not done with regluing the veneer. And don't ask me about the cost, as I've discovered that it's going to cost me more than buying a replacement. (The problem is finding a replacement.)

04-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Krampus, yes - Sciortino's. Their slices are big squares that they cut into 6 little squares. I think I may make this a regular weekend treat. It's actually within walking distance of my house but I'd have to go under that railroad thing and that sorta creeps me out.

saef, I know veneer replacement is tricky but 2 years?? Seems excessive.

I had another great day today, pretty much a repeat of yesterday. I was happy to be only a wee bit sore this morning so I bought more mulch and went for another walk. Just gorgeous weather this weekend, so nice.

Shannon in ATL
04-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Saef - I'm thinking more and more about just cleaning it up. There are a couple of nicked spots on the top that I think I can fill and patch, then just give it a little clean to get the dirt off. I don't want to replace the veneer if I can help it. Someone suggested a cleaner that strips the sealant but leaves the stain color I think?

04-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Shannon, I am not a furniture restorer, but sometimes I hang out with them. Murphy's Oil Soap is the cleaning agent of choice. If you want to turn it into something of a project, try Formby's Buildup Remover and then, over that, Howard's Restor-A-Finish (with the "neutral" colorant). Don't use steel wool because the veneer of that period is thin, unlike earlier veneer, which was hand-cut and relatively thick, sometimes really thin, like paper. Finally, a nice paste wax over the top. Be careful. If you press your finger down on the veneer and hear it crackle, that's a sign that you want to mess with it as little as possible.

traveling michele
04-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Steph-- glad you've had some better days. You deserve it.

My weight was down over the weekend, I wore some shorts that had recently been tight, and I was feeling good. I've been eating vegetarian the past 5 or so days. Today my weight was up some but I'm lot letting it get to me. I'm wearing a cute spring outfit and ready to tackle the week.

Dh comes home Sunday. Finally.....