Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1  

Default I don't know where to start, and I'm scared :(

Okay, I'm thinking of posting in two different forums: this one and "weight issues and depression" so I can get the most feedback. I guess I'll start with just some basics about myself: I am 19, and with that, a teenage mother. I have a 3 year old who is the light of my life and I had him at 15 years old (with a significantly older man). I was diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder (which includes what can be weeks of 'low points' like depression followed by just a few days of a 'manic point' which can be anger, or hyperactivity/happiness).

My whole 'weight gain' started with becoming pregnant so early in life. I was never bone-thin, I was always average with a tiny pooch for a stomach but nothing really noticeable. But when I got pregnant - that all changed. I gained almost 100 lbs! Going from 130 all the way up to 215 at the very end of my pregnancy. I lost a good 35 lbs of it by doing absolutely nothing and went back down to 180. But remained at that weight for a good 18 months.

Then, I became addicted to painkillers - something I have overcome. I have been clean for a year, four months, and 9 days (yes I keep count, haha). In the time I was addicted, I rarely ate and I dropped down to 140 (I still had the flabby stomach, though. Does that ever go away?) I maintained that weight until the fall of 2012 (this past fall), when I was put on Depacoat (a bipolar medication) and gained back 45 lbs.

Now I don't even know where to start! I have no idea how to diet, and I am so out of shape I could not even keep up with a 10 minute BEGINNERS cardio DVD without being out of breath. Someone, please help me! Where do I start, how do I diet, and again will this flabby stomach ever go away?
Magpiexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #2  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 229/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

Sorry that you've had to go through so much so early on. Congratulations on being drug free and wanting to continue getting healthy, that's a huge accomplishment already!

I would suggest starting with calorie counting to lose the weight. There's several different calculators you can use online that can give you suggestions on what is a good number is to start with. You can also use programs like myfitnesspal to track calories easily.

As far as exercise goes you can start out slow and work your way up. Maybe start with taking your child for a walk, or try simple DVD like walk away the pounds. Exercise is great for fitness but diet is going to help you the most with losing weight.

As far as the flabby stomach goes no ones going to be able to tell you for sure. It's one of those only time will tell things.
Katie816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #3  
Train Insane

S/C/G: 191/151/135

Height: 5'8"

It's a hard to lose weight no matter what's going on in your life, but this is something you can do! And it will help empower you and increase your self confidence. You have the strength and can do it!

A good place to start is just by logging your calories without even changing what you eat. That way you can see what you're eating exactly and decide what you should change about your diet. Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise (or something to that effect lol). Also, start easy with exercise so you don't get discouraged. Start by walking for 20 minutes and work your way up! Stay on here, because everyone is full of encouragement and ideas!
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote