Depression and Weight Issues - BiPolar Disorder/Depression/Anxiety, scared to start?

Magpiexo
04-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Okay, I'm thinking of posting in two different forums: this one and "weight loss support" so I can get the most feedback. I guess I'll start with just some basics about myself: I am 19, and with that, a teenage mother. I have a 3 year old who is the light of my life and I had him at 15 years old (with a significantly older man). I was diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder (which includes what can be weeks of 'low points' like depression followed by just a few days of a 'manic point' which can be anger, or hyperactivity/happiness).

My whole 'weight gain' started with becoming pregnant so early in life. I was never bone-thin, I was always average with a tiny pooch for a stomach but nothing really noticeable. But when I got pregnant - that all changed. I gained almost 100 lbs! Going from 130 all the way up to 215 at the very end of my pregnancy. I lost a good 35 lbs of it by doing absolutely nothing and went back down to 180. But remained at that weight for a good 18 months.

Then, I became addicted to painkillers - something I have overcome. I have been clean for a year, four months, and 9 days (yes I keep count, haha). In the time I was addicted, I rarely ate and I dropped down to 140 (I still had the flabby stomach, though. Does that ever go away?) I maintained that weight until the fall of 2012 (this past fall), when I was put on Depacoat (a bipolar medication) and gained back 45 lbs.

Now I don't even know where to start! I have no idea how to diet, and I am so out of shape I could not even keep up with a 10 minute BEGINNERS cardio DVD without being out of breath. Someone, please help me! Where do I start, how do I diet, and again will this flabby stomach ever go away?

shcirerf
04-20-2013, 03:03 AM
:hug::hug:

Read other threads here, heck read them all!

Baby steps! We did not get overweight or unhealthy overnight.

Start with one food thing! A reasonable breakfast! Tackle that! Then tackle healthy mid morning snack, rinse and repeat! Remember to allow that some days life happens!

Exercise, start with one thing!

When I decided, I wanted to strength train, (aka lift), I found a program, it wanted me to do squats! With an Olympic barbell, that thing weighs 45 pounds, no way!

I started with 2, 5 pound dumbbells!

I am proud to say, 2 YEARS later, I can squat 105 pounds with the O barbell!:carrot:

Yes, it did take 2 years, but I learned a lot about sticking with it, and patience.

Now, I'm working on training for a 5k! I'm a gramma! I will do this! Probably take another 2 years! That's ok!:D:D

Also along this journey, I lost the weight I wanted to lose and have been, so far, successful, at maintaining the loss.

It has not always been easy, some days, it's down right hard, but, along the way, I have learned! A lot about nutrition, exercise, family, other people, but most of all myself!

Have patience! You don't have to be great to start, just start! The rest will fall into place!:hug::D

ladykahlo
04-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't know if you have access to health insurance, but if you do, find a therapist ASAP. They can help with all of those things way better than any forum can. I am also BIPOLAR and I have medication, a psychiatrist and a therapist. That is the only way I can make it through this.

Try Overeater's Anonymous (OA). (http://www.overeatersanonymous.org/) They have online meetings, phone meetings and in-person meetings. You can also try Food Addicts. (http://www.foodaddictsanonymous.org/)

I don't know if you have a texting plan or if you have a cell phone, but you can text me any time if you want: six five zero two eight three six three eight four.

It sounds like you have a lot going on. You've come to one right place and you've made a step in the right direction. I'm not going to lie - this isn't going to be easy. I am addicted to food. I treat it like an addiction and I work on it as much as possible. I also journal. I have a sponsor. I go to 4-5 OA meetings a week. I check this website several times a day. I have a good support system in my life that includes a therapist, a psychiatrist (since I am BIPOLAR), my husband, my family and friends.

I believe in you. :carrot: :hug: Welcome.

lovely30
04-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Sometimes, just eating healthier works. Maybe eat a bit like you are now, but add in more fruit and vegetables. Increase the healthiness slowly over time, so it sticks? Good luck!

Rachel32
05-03-2013, 08:46 AM
I to have Bipolar & have put on 5stone since starting Lithium. Now at 14st I have been put on Xenical. I am training for a 5k run, and also 10k later this year. Despite generally balanced diet and exercise I hadn't lost more than 1 stone in previous attempts.

I can't consider changing Lithuim so now I'm hoping that new addition of Xenical and fear of eating to much fat causing me to poo my pants, with the exercise I may shift this Lard!

Good Luck