Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Work function - feel naked

In just a few hours I will be attending an annual work function at my new size. Last year I was at my highest weight and wearing an XL schmatta. This time I actually went out shopping weeks in advance and purchased two dresses (size medium) to choose from, asked advice from my sister and purchased the perfect accessories. I was ready.

Today I went to work in my sweats and did all of the heavy lifting to prepare for the event and then I changed into my dress. Well, the reaction from my co-workers was overwhelming. I got so many compliments, pictures taken and sent to former co-workers. The board president said "who knew you were holding all those goods?" The lone guy in the office said "wow - that is the best outfit I have ever seen you in, you look great!" Sounds great right? Well, I started feeling so self conscious that I didn't want to get up from my desk. I felt like if I walk past them again the magic would wear off and they would see how ill fitting the clothes really are. I felt like I was a pretender and I wanted to disappear. I felt like the more I moved the more flaws they would see.

I waited for this night for so long and now that I got the reaction I was hoping for, I feel naked and raw. I guess I have a lot to get used to at my new weight.

Last edited by ImImportant; 04-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

oh... so sorry that you feel vulnerable and exposed, instead of over-the-top. I'm sure everyone was sincere and just couldn't help being exuberant with their comps with you getting so small. I guess it will take time for your inner/outer self to meld

There's lots of discussions on self image after weight loss here, might be insightful to read some of that.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It's funny how that happens! At first the attention and compliments are nice, then you start feeling on display and like you're being really LOOOOOOKED at. That can be hard!

I had worn a new dress and heels to work a few weeks ago and got so much attention I have not worn it since! It made me feel great in one way, but really, well, naked (like you said) at the same time. Totally uncomfortable!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #4  

I hope to know that feeling someday only because I want to be thin again. But that being said, even now, I know how you feel to a point. I don't like anyone looking at me for any reason! I never change my hair style or any other feature about me as to not draw attention to myself. The weightloss now obviously is hard to hide but it makes me so anxious. I don't mind talking about it with all of you or with a stranger in a store but with people I know? No questions, no answers, no info. NOTHING. I have a pit in my stomach for the feeling you have right now, not wanting to get up from your desk.

All I can do is give you hugs and say congrats, you have done awesome. Those people are gushing on you since you did do so great, but that doesn't make it any easier for you, I know.

Last edited by elvislover324; 04-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #5  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

I bet you looked like Cinderella!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I feel the same way even though I am nowhere near my goal weight yet. At first, I was craving people to notice. Now it's almost daily and I'd rather people didn't mention it because talking about my weight loss makes me feel self-conscious. I add to the problem because I regularly buy new clothes to fit my shrinking shape which means I am looking much smarter than before. I find it especially difficult if they eye me up and down. And I wish women would stop glancing at my belly! It's too close to you-know-what!

Last edited by IanG; 04-18-2013 at 04:42 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #7  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
The board president said "who knew you were holding all those goods?
I'm sorry, but that's not appropriate to say in a work situation if I'm reading it correctly.

I don't blame you for feeling uncomfortable after that. I'm sorry that it ruined the way you feel.

I'm sure you really did look fantastic, and people are just idiots expressing themselves.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Well, it is over. Once I was in work mode coordinating the event I was able to let the feelings go for a while. I hope my mind and body catch up soon. I would like to enjoy all of my hard work.

Vex, I can see where it might seem that way but the board president is a woman and we share an interest in obstacle course races. She sees me dressed very comservative at work and in athletic gear when going to and from our conferences, so I saw it more of her commenting on me finally embracing my curves.

Last edited by ImImportant; 04-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImImportant View Post
Today I went to work in my sweats and did all of the heavy lifting to prepare for the event and then I changed into my dress. Well, the reaction from my co-workers was overwhelming. I got so many compliments, pictures taken and sent to former co-workers.

I waited for this night for so long and now that I got the reaction I was hoping for, I feel naked and raw. I guess I have a lot to get used to at my new weight.

YOU may have felt exposed, THEY probably were impressed as h**l!

It will probably take time for your head to catch up, but I think Sum has your new username picked out for you, Cinderella!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote