General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #1  
Hot Momma

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5 ft

Default I'm a quitter

I don't want to be. I just tend to diet/exercise for a bit, lose a little. Get happy. Hit a plateau. Get sad. Then give up. So after not only falling off the wagon, but hitching a ride cross country for 2 yrs: I am jumping back on. I need help. I don't want to pay for weight watchers, etc. because I have a daughter so I prefer to grocery shop for items I need and cook. I want to work out, but find myself lacking energy by end of day. And just damn lazy on weekends. I live across from a park, so I made a commitment to myself that every day after work, no matter how friggin' tired I am, I will take my daughter for a 30 min walk on the trail. She can ride her bike, and I can walk behind.

I haven't fried anything in YEARS. When I do eat out, I don't like eating fried entrees either. I love drinking water, in fact, I probably have maybe 3 or 4 sodas all year. Same with juices/teas. I just prefer water. My problem? Oh sweet Jesus I love sweets! Cake, pies, buns, candy. I'm ok with not having chips, or other salty things. I just really like sweets. And unfortunately, I'm like a bottle of pringles, once I pop, I can't stop. For a while I tried a brute force attack and just not buying any junk at all. But I found that just was like putting a rubber stopper in a pipe that's about to explode.

I have a ridiculously slow metabolism. I get my yearly physical with my doctor. He's checked my thyroid, and have also checked me for diabetes. I'm anemic (low iron) since as long as I can remember. But otherwise, he says I'm healthy. I'm healthy NOW, but I want to get myself in shape before I'm 50/60/70 and ailing from all the crap that I put into my body as a youngster.

So, let me have it. Pep talk. Candid advice. Something! Where do I start? How I keep from giving up?
ksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

OH man, I had a great long reply all typed up for your other post then when I hit submit it was all gone!!! Dammit!

Here is the cliff notes version LOL

3FC - Best support system around. I am certain that if it wasn't for this place I would have given up by now.

Stay accountable - Count your calories if that's what you like. There are lots of apps out there that make this a breeze and can actually be motivating (I use My Net Diary)

As for your sweet tooth... that's a tough one. Sugar is addictive and a hard one to kick, but the less you have the less you want it. What if you got rid of all that sugary junk and replaced it with sweet fruits, you will still get that sweetness you crave, without all the extra crap. Also maybe pick up a bar of really good, really dark chocolate. Keep it in your freezer for when you have those crazy sugar cravings. have a square or two, guilt free and move on!

Low in iron? have you considered cooking with cast-iron pan?

If you are lacking energy at the end of the day to exercise, why not try doing it first thing in the morning? You can get in a quick 10-20 minute workout in first thing! You might find that getting in that workout in the morning will give you more energy for the day too.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

You already have your pep talk. Your daughter.

When you look at her, do you likely want her to have everything you didn't. You likely want her to escape your hardships. And you likely want her to be as healthy as humanly possible. And you know you are her hero and idol, at least in these early years. You likely know that what you do, she will want to mimic.

At least, that is how it is for me. My daughter saved my life. I was at my heavist, 293/294 pounds and was a wreck. It was August 13, 2012. I had been sick. I passed out and slipped into a brief coma...with the only other person being home with me being that 38 pound three year old. She managed to pull my huge frame out of the bed and onto the floor. I have no idea how long she was there, but by the time she managed to wake me, I was on the floor and she was beyond frantic. Come to find out, my O2 saturation levels were in the lethal range, 42. I had blockages in my lungs, partial because of asthma and my weight. Had my child not managed to wake me, I would have died that day.

I have since made a vow I will NEVER let her see me like that again. It has really messed her world up. She fears when I go to sleep now. she NEVER lets me sleep in, for fear I won't wake up. I can't help but feel guilty about that. I was selfishly allowing my weight to get out of control, thinking the only person it truly effected was me. How wrong I was. My weight effects everyone in my life. Mostly, her. She counts on me for everything. I cannot let her down. I spent almost two weeks in the hospital. A good chunk of that was in ICU. I spent two months on an O2 tank...and I wasn't even 30.

Since that day, our lives have changed. She and I go to the park daily. I've convinced her veggies and salads are good, and now are her favorite foods. She is now involved in T-Ball...which means I am stuck practicing with her even if I don't want to. She gets excited when I exercise to Jillian Michael's because she likes to have competitions on who can last the longest...used to be her. Now it is me.

I say, your motivation is right in front of you. And I bet, she'll be willing to help you along the way. In fact, mine jumps my case now if I eat something that isn't "Special Mommy Snack" approved...i.e candy or cookies.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #4  

Height: 5"6

Nah, you're not a quitter. I can tell. Quitters don't seek out help. Quitters don't identify their strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages. Don't like fried food? Love home cooking? BOOM! There's already two points for you up on your score board! You can TOTALLY do this. We're all doing it, and we're not wonder women!

Why not try getting rid of ONE thing that isn't healthy for you, or adding one thing that is healthy? Maybe this week so no to sweets every OTHER time, and as for adding in exercise, I find I am MORE energized when I work out! Look up a workout on Youtube and commit yourself to just 10 minutes a day. JUST 10! Go right now! You are on the laptop anyway!

Last I heard, you were no quitter
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #5  
Hot Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
OH man, I had a great long reply all typed up for your other post then when I hit submit it was all gone!!! Dammit!

Here is the cliff notes version LOL

3FC - Best support system around. I am certain that if it wasn't for this place I would have given up by now.

Stay accountable - Count your calories if that's what you like. There are lots of apps out there that make this a breeze and can actually be motivating (I use My Net Diary)

As for your sweet tooth... that's a tough one. Sugar is addictive and a hard one to kick, but the less you have the less you want it. What if you got rid of all that sugary junk and replaced it with sweet fruits, you will still get that sweetness you crave, without all the extra crap. Also maybe pick up a bar of really good, really dark chocolate. Keep it in your freezer for when you have those crazy sugar cravings. have a square or two, guilt free and move on!

Low in iron? have you considered cooking with cast-iron pan?

If you are lacking energy at the end of the day to exercise, why not try doing it first thing in the morning? You can get in a quick 10-20 minute workout in first thing! You might find that getting in that workout in the morning will give you more energy for the day too.

I plan on trying to read alot more articles/posts in hopes it will help me along. And I never knew cooking with a cast iron would help. Thanks for the advice!!
I will give thought to waking up earlier to excercise. I already wake up at 6 am as is to be out the door by 7 to be to work at 8. Maybe i'll give it a try for a couple days just to at least have a more rounded opinion about it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #6  
Hot Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
You already have your pep talk. Your daughter.

When you look at her, do you likely want her to have everything you didn't. You likely want her to escape your hardships. And you likely want her to be as healthy as humanly possible. And you know you are her hero and idol, at least in these early years. You likely know that what you do, she will want to mimic.

At least, that is how it is for me. My daughter saved my life. I was at my heavist, 293/294 pounds and was a wreck. It was August 13, 2012. I had been sick. I passed out and slipped into a brief coma...with the only other person being home with me being that 38 pound three year old. She managed to pull my huge frame out of the bed and onto the floor. I have no idea how long she was there, but by the time she managed to wake me, I was on the floor and she was beyond frantic. Come to find out, my O2 saturation levels were in the lethal range, 42. I had blockages in my lungs, partial because of asthma and my weight. Had my child not managed to wake me, I would have died that day.

I have since made a vow I will NEVER let her see me like that again. It has really messed her world up. She fears when I go to sleep now. she NEVER lets me sleep in, for fear I won't wake up. I can't help but feel guilty about that. I was selfishly allowing my weight to get out of control, thinking the only person it truly effected was me. How wrong I was. My weight effects everyone in my life. Mostly, her. She counts on me for everything. I cannot let her down. I spent almost two weeks in the hospital. A good chunk of that was in ICU. I spent two months on an O2 tank...and I wasn't even 30.

Since that day, our lives have changed. She and I go to the park daily. I've convinced her veggies and salads are good, and now are her favorite foods. She is now involved in T-Ball...which means I am stuck practicing with her even if I don't want to. She gets excited when I exercise to Jillian Michael's because she likes to have competitions on who can last the longest...used to be her. Now it is me.

I say, your motivation is right in front of you. And I bet, she'll be willing to help you along the way. In fact, mine jumps my case now if I eat something that isn't "Special Mommy Snack" approved...i.e candy or cookies.
So very sorry to hear that happened to you. And yes my little girl is like the health police. Her school teaches alot about healthy eating, etc. So when we go grocery shopping she's constantly telling me about bad foods and calories. I should listen more, she's a smart girl.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #7  
Hot Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernChick13 View Post
Nah, you're not a quitter. I can tell. Quitters don't seek out help. Quitters don't identify their strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages. Don't like fried food? Love home cooking? BOOM! There's already two points for you up on your score board! You can TOTALLY do this. We're all doing it, and we're not wonder women!

Why not try getting rid of ONE thing that isn't healthy for you, or adding one thing that is healthy? Maybe this week so no to sweets every OTHER time, and as for adding in exercise, I find I am MORE energized when I work out! Look up a workout on Youtube and commit yourself to just 10 minutes a day. JUST 10! Go right now! You are on the laptop anyway!

Last I heard, you were no quitter
Thank you. You're awesome. I hope I don't quit this time. I at least want to break out of the 200's. I get so discouraged sometimes. I've been avoiding the "Goal" forum like the plague. I fear, I will see those pictures and not feel motivated, but feel sad and give up. I need to think more positively. It's hard to progress, if I already feel I've lost.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmommy View Post
So very sorry to hear that happened to you. And yes my little girl is like the health police. Her school teaches alot about healthy eating, etc. So when we go grocery shopping she's constantly telling me about bad foods and calories. I should listen more, she's a smart girl.
Bah---don't be sorry for me. I'm not. It was the wake up call I desperately needed. It set me straight. And yeah, let your daughter be your partner. Kids are amazing creatures...and all of them borderline on OCD for a few years. It helps if you allow them to "coach" you...gives them a sense of pride, gives you something to do together that is healthy, sets them up for a life time love of eating right and exercise, and makes you accountable to the thing who matters most...the reflection in their loving eyes.

Truthfully, 3FC has been a godsend in my endeavor...but if not for my kid and her holding me accountable in her own way, I dunno where I would be. She keeps me motivated. And doesn't allow me to forget that ONE chip I ate seven weeks ago. Oui...I swear
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #9  

You will find a huge support system here! You are NOT a quitter!
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #10  
Hot Momma

Since you are second person to mention Jillian, I will definitely be looking her up tonight. I notice that I get very hungry in the afternoon, have no idea why! Like today, I had breakfast, then I had a snack, then I had lunch. And hour after lunch I was craving any type of junk. I will make sure I log into this site daily. Maybe it'll be the steam I need to not fall off again.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I would try a low carb diet. That largely eliminates the cravings for sweets. I had crazy PMS binges for carbs and going low carb has almost completely gotten rid of them. I found that Jillian Michaels offers the best workouts in the least amount of time. 30 min will get you great results. Exercise also helps to keep those cravings in control and minimizes the blues when you hit a plateau.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote